What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (5 Viewers)

It varies school to school but every school my daughter is applying to requires it to be completed.  I believe a lot of schools require it.

I think the schools use the CSS Profile where as the Feds use the FASFA.

Here is a list of schools that use the CSS Profile

https://profileonline.collegeboard.org/prf/PXRemotePartInstitutionServlet/PXRemotePartInstitutionServlet.srv
Sorry to seem so clueless, but should we start on the CSS  and get that filed ASAP?

On paper we look like we make money,  but, after all the money we have put out for our daughter's senior year so far ( to include already paying for a senior trip),  our debt/income ratio is a little more skewed then I like it at this point.

Sorry to seem so clueless, but should we start on the CSS  and get that filed ASAP?

On paper we look like we make money,  but, after all the money we have put out for our daughter's senior year so far ( to include already paying for a senior trip),  our debt/income ratio is a little more skewed then I like it at this point.
As I understand stand it, I think you only need to file early if your child is applying to schools with rolling admissions.  Other than that, you need to submit the forms when they are due for each school.  I don't think there is any advantage to submitting early for most schools.

So did the FAFSA and I guess I thought it would be more labor intensive. .I mean there were no questions about debts or mortgage payments which I thought there would be. It was just kind of how much we made and this is how much taxes were taken out--kind of blah and really doesn't allow for much tinkering.

So what does the EFC number really mean--is that total payment expected from us for the total cost of education for a 4 year school or is it per year?  Or is this amount that we could get in aid? It also showed an amount for Stafford loans at a small amount--is that per year or total as well? And is this amount in addition to what the school could give her?

Will that differ by school--I mean if that number is all I will owe total for 4 years is what the EFC number shows for my daughter to go to a school that costs 67k a year, yeah I am down with that vs. 280k.
The FAFSA is a pretty blunt instrument - it just measures your overall household income and then determines whether or not your kid meets the federal guidelines for a subsidized (i.e., government-backed) student loan.

The EFC is what you are expected to contribute every year - not the total for all 4 years. The Stafford Loan is the amount of the annual subsidized loan she qualifies for. The CSS is the really detailed form that colleges actually use to make their aid determinations. It asks about all kinds of stuff - home equity, credit cards, tuition you're already paying, cars, etc. And then each school has its own formula that converts your CSS entries into an award. Some schools allow more for savings, for home equity, etc. I've heard that you get hit really hard if you have equity in non-primary residences, or if you own your own business, in which case much of the revenue is regarded as income, regardless of deductions.

Using your 67K example, here's how a typical financial aid package might break down.

Cost of Attendance = 67k (tuition = 56k, room & Board = 8k, books and expenses = 3k)

EFC (the part you pay each year) = 30K

Subsidized loan (which your kid will have to pay back) = 5k

Kid's summer earnings = 2500

Kid's work study at school = 2500

Tuition Grant from school (doesn't have to be paid back) = 27k

You won't get billed the 3k for books and expenses, that's just stuff you pay for as you go. The expectation is that the kid's work study earnings will pay for those things.

This example above is for a school that claims to "meet full demonstrated need." Whether you can actually afford the EFC or not is up to you to decide, but the EFC represents the college's calculation of what you can pay. Schools that meet the full demonstrated need will - in the example above - give you the $27k every year. But there are plenty of schools that don't meet full demonstrated need, and will "gap" you. They're saying, in effect, that you qualify for $27k per year, but we can only give you (for example) $15K a year, so if you want to come here, you need to fill that gap with another $12k you come up with.

This is where people end up getting in way over their head, as they take out huge loans for an undergraduate degree, and then don't find jobs that enable them to pay back the loans. Or parents decide they'll do anything to send their kid to college and take out these loans themselves.

So basically there really is no point in doing the profile until we know if she accepted to her school of choice--which I might add she hasn't even applied for yet and the early action application is due here l in a couple weeks.

She is such a bright amazing kid, but here she is at the finish line and now she is basically dropping the ball. She is more worried about what Halloween costume she is wearing next week or what dress she should wear for this awards ceremony, than sitting down and focussing on her future.

One of the big scholarship deadlines she was going to go for is this Wedneday and she hasn't even looked at the essays. We have reminded her, but i just told my wife we can't coddle her and that might mean letting her just fail at this.  This is really hard to do especially with something this important. However, I am not going to badger her or remind her anymore, but I told my wife the next time our daughter asks for any extraneous/ non school thing the answer will be no. 

She just doesn't get that there are 10.000 kids out there just as smart and talented  as she is.  I think she's just used to always winning and getting her way, that this process is going to be an eye-opener for her. 

So basically there really is no point in doing the profile until we know if she accepted to her school of choice--which I might add she hasn't even applied for yet and the early action application is due here l in a couple weeks.

She is such a bright amazing kid, but here she is at the finish line and now she is basically dropping the ball. She is more worried about what Halloween costume she is wearing next week or what dress she should wear for this awards ceremony, than sitting down and focussing on her future.

One of the big scholarship deadlines she was going to go for is this Wedneday and she hasn't even looked at the essays. We have reminded her, but i just told my wife we can't coddle her and that might mean letting her just fail at this.  This is really hard to do especially with something this important. However, I am not going to badger her or remind her anymore, but I told my wife the next time our daughter asks for any extraneous/ non school thing the answer will be no. 

She just doesn't get that there are 10.000 kids out there just as smart and talented  as she is.  I think she's just used to always winning and getting her way, that this process is going to be an eye-opener for her. 
I feel your pain.  My daughter will not focus on the college stuff either.  There is no sense of urgency.  She is only applying regular decision every where but I still want to see more focus.

At least my daughter has settled on her college list.

Brown - significant reach

Northeastern - Reach due to test scores

Wesleyan - 50-50 chance to get in.  Tons of strong students apply here

Trinity - Should get in

Connecticut College - Will very likely get in

Wheaton College - Safety school

The last 4 we will go test optional route if her scores do not improve.

Trinity - Should get in

A lot comes down to what she is applying for. A competitive major makes a reach school even harder but the flip side also applies

Trinity - Should get in

My daughter is only a junior but will be applying to two of those next year---Brown (obviously a reach) and Wesleyan (pretty good shot)

She's also looking at a couple other reach schools, three 50:50 options and a couple safety schools. 

Good luck to your daughter this year!

What so frustrating is there is so much free money out there and my daughter isn't interested in trying for it

I dont know how, if she gets in to her dream school, it is financially going to happen. I love her to death but my wife and I won't put ourselves in debt 80k for her. 

We have another daughter (12) who isn't going to have to suffer  her whole teenage years because mom and dad are financially strapped. 

A lot comes down to what she is applying for. A competitive major makes a reach school even harder but the flip side also applies
I don't think her major is strongly competitive as she wants to be a writer (fiction).  I was thinking that something like this would help her at Northeastern which is heavy science and math based but when we visited, they were pretty strong in saying your intended major has no affect on admission.

Do you have any inside knowledge as to whether this is true or were they just trying to sound fair to the public?  

My daughter is only a junior but will be applying to two of those next year---Brown (obviously a reach) and Wesleyan (pretty good shot)

She's also looking at a couple other reach schools, three 50:50 options and a couple safety schools. 

Good luck to your daughter this year!
They way it was explained to me was that Brown is a reach for almost everyone as they can just pick and choose between a ton of candidates with perfect gpa and test scores.

Wesleyan's acceptance rate is fairly low at 17%.  I got the feeling that a lot of fantastic students who just missed out on an Ivy like Brown, go to a Wesleyan.

What so frustrating is there is so much free money out there and my daughter isn't interested in trying for it

I dont know how, if she gets in to her dream school, it is financially going to happen. I love her to death but my wife and I won't put ourselves in debt 80k for her. 

We have another daughter (12) who isn't going to have to suffer  her whole teenage years because mom and dad are financially strapped. 
The only thing you can do is explain this very clearly to oldest daughter and let her know up front what you can afford so that her expectations are realistic.  Just make sure you include schools you can afford/or will get merit scholarships in.

Totally sympathize with you on getting your daughter's "cooperation".  About the free money, am I wrong in assuming that it gets deducted from the school grant portion (the $27k listed in The_Man's example) and not from the EFC (the $30k)?  I am not talking about the federal stuff but rather the offerings from various groups, organizations, etc.

Totally sympathize with you on getting your daughter's "cooperation".  About the free money, am I wrong in assuming that it gets deducted from the school grant portion (the $27k listed in The_Man's example) and not from the EFC (the $30k)?  I am not talking about the federal stuff but rather the offerings from various groups, organizations, etc.
This is correct. If you go to a school that meets your "full demonstrated need," they'll just deduct the amount of outside scholarships you win from the free money the school was going to give you. It's almost not worth it.

The one exception is that many of these schools will let you use the outside money to buy down the student's contribution. For example, my wife's work has a pretty significant tuition remission benefit. Brown didn't reduce our EFC thanks to the benefit, but my son's aid package didn't include any loans for him, or summer/work-study contribution. So outside money bought off the $8 or 9K he would have owed ($5k loan + 2k summer + 2k work study), but didn't change at all what we were expected to pay.

Edit to add: If you go to a school that doesn't mean the full demonstrated need, you can totally use the outside money to buy down the gap. Those schools encourage you to find outside sources of funds to fill in the amount they can't meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking through the Common App today to look at what questions each individual college asks.

I noticed that every school asked whether you would file for Financial Aid.

Is there any hidden advantage in the admissions process if you answer no to this question?

I don't think her major is strongly competitive as she wants to be a writer (fiction).  I was thinking that something like this would help her at Northeastern which is heavy science and math based but when we visited, they were pretty strong in saying your intended major has no affect on admission.

Do you have any inside knowledge as to whether this is true or were they just trying to sound fair to the public?  
I definitely feel this is one of the reasons my D managed to get into Williams

:thumbup:  love the new avatar

I definitely feel this is one of the reasons my D managed to get into Williams

:thumbup:  love the new avatar
interesting!  When we run the calculators the schools provide, it looks like we will get very little (the GSL loans looks to be it from the feds).  

I will have to research this more.  I bet most schools would not publicly admit this as they want to remain partial so I will have to see if anyone online has some inside info.

Something that people should also be aware of when making decisions is health insurance. Make sure you son/daughter is covered if they are going out of state as a lot of health insurance is network or area based.

And I can't say it enough about the EFC on the FAFSA. Most Ivy League schools are needs based and will go by the EFC. Most others are not. EFC is not "how much $ you can afford to pay"  but a strength indicator. Do your homework on it so it doesn't come back to bite you in the ###.

And my daughter is just the opposite. The big scholarship (like the one that gets you a full 4 year ride to the Colorado school of your choice)  is due this Thursday and she hasn't even looked at it. She told me that she was going to do it Friday (because she was off school) and didn't. She then said she was going to do it Saturday, but went to the movies with her boyfriend instead. Then Sunday--she went to get coffee and do homework and didn't come home until 10:00.. This precipitated us having a huge blow up. So much so, I ended up staying home from work today because I am physically sick to my stomach over this. And all that started the fight was me just asking what her plans were for it and she lost it. 

My wife and I feel like we have failed her as parents. We have made life too easy on her. Every problem that has come up, we have always been there to help or rescue her. We thought we were being good, involved parents, but in hindsight, we blew it. Some of the things she said to me last night, man, you try to not let them get to you, but they did and they hurt..  

I told her last night that there is the finish line right there--you know the one we talked about 12 years ago and the one you have worked so hard for. Instead of choosing to cross it, you are just opting to sit down.   

I think she really believes we are going to rescue her again and just pay the 27k a year for her to go to this school, but I simply can't do it. I can't put my family in that kind of hole for a four year degree--when she can go to other schools for a fraction of that or at least try and apply for scholarships to mitigate the costs somehow.  Plus she is a math geek and this is a private liberal arts school so it may not be the best fit anyways.

She texted and apologized this morning and was so proud  because she moved up to number 3 in her class (out of close to 600 kids). Another reason she was so happy was because one of Colorado College's reps came and visited with her today and so she is all refreshed and motivated to do this scholarship, but frankly I think it is too late. I tried to tell her there are kids out there that have probably been working on these scholarship essays for weeks--some months. She has had teachers volunteer to help craft and edit them for her for Pete's sake. The worst part is she is gone for school/cheerleading functions the next two nights, so all she has is tonight to come up with three quality essays and fill in what is probably an 8-10 page in depth questionnaire. I can already see if I don't sit down and (rescue) help her, I am going to be the fall guy for why she didn't get it.

It's freaking 2:00 on a Monday and I am already opening a beer. :(

Sorry for rant....

And my daughter is just the opposite. The big scholarship (like the one that gets you a full 4 year ride to the Colorado school of your choice)  is due this Thursday and she hasn't even looked at it. She told me that she was going to do it Friday (because she was off school) and didn't. She then said she was going to do it Saturday, but went to the movies with her boyfriend instead. Then Sunday--she went to get coffee and do homework and didn't come home until 10:00.. This precipitated us having a huge blow up. So much so, I ended up staying home from work today because I am physically sick to my stomach over this. And all that started the fight was me just asking what her plans were for it and she lost it. 

My wife and I feel like we have failed her as parents. We have made life too easy on her. Every problem that has come up, we have always been there to help or rescue her. We thought we were being good, involved parents, but in hindsight, we blew it. Some of the things she said to me last night, man, you try to not let them get to you, but they did and they hurt..  

I told her last night that there is the finish line right there--you know the one we talked about 12 years ago and the one you have worked so hard for. Instead of choosing to cross it, you are just opting to sit down.   

I think she really believes we are going to rescue her again and just pay the 27k a year for her to go to this school, but I simply can't do it. I can't put my family in that kind of hole for a four year degree--when she can go to other schools for a fraction of that or at least try and apply for scholarships to mitigate the costs somehow.  Plus she is a math geek and this is a private liberal arts school so it may not be the best fit anyways.

She texted and apologized this morning and was so proud  because she moved up to number 3 in her class (out of close to 600 kids). Another reason she was so happy was because one of Colorado College's reps came and visited with her today and so she is all refreshed and motivated to do this scholarship, but frankly I think it is too late. I tried to tell her there are kids out there that have probably been working on these scholarship essays for weeks--some months. She has had teachers volunteer to help craft and edit them for her for Pete's sake. The worst part is she is gone for school/cheerleading functions the next two nights, so all she has is tonight to come up with three quality essays and fill in what is probably an 8-10 page in depth questionnaire. I can already see if I don't sit down and (rescue) help her, I am going to be the fall guy for why she didn't get it.

Sorry for rant....
Simple, if she doesn't get the scholarship and wants to go to the school, she has to pay a good portion of it.  Sometimes the best lessons in life are learned the hard way.  Regardless though, chill the #### out.  You stayed home from work because you were so sick about the argument?  She's what a 17, 18 year old girl?  All you can do is the best you can do and realize that you can't control everything.  Whatever you do, do not do it for her.  Plus your attempt will probably be worse than her's anyway.

Thanks James. :thumbup:

I think I was doing okay with the whole let her sink or swim concept and then I talked to one of good friends yesterday (who is significantly more well off than my wife and I) and he was like, "You only get one shot at this. If my kids were as smart as her, I would pay whatever it took to secure their future. Don't be cheap."  and that kind of made me start thinking.

Yeah, I need to grow a pair and just let her find her way through this one.

Jesus!!

I got the call 30 minutes ago, she just broke her ankle at cheerleading practice and now is going with her mom to get a cast on. There goes all her competition cheer and all her dance recitals. She is going to be crushed---I can't tell you how much that stuff meant to her. I can't tell you how sad we are for her. It just puts so much in perspective about how things can quickly change for the worse and what seemed so important can become so trivial so fast.

Jesus!!

I got the call 30 minutes ago, she just broke her ankle at cheerleading practice and now is going with her mom to get a cast on. There goes all her competition cheer and all her dance recitals. She is going to be crushed---I can't tell you how much that stuff meant to her. I can't tell you how sad we are for her. It just puts so much in perspective about how things can quickly change for the worse and what seemed so important can become so trivial so fast.
Crap, very sorry to hear that CJ.  And her senior year, too.  Nasty.

I mentioned this earlier but the Fafsa is very easy to complete.   The CSS profile is significantly more in depth.  They want to know where every penny is.
Man, you weren't kidding. And the auto import from the IRS made the FAFSA even easier, but the one where you really wish you could use it is the CSS. Even the parts that just ask for info off your 1040 have you jumping all over it. I wish if they were going to ask all those questions anyway that they'd just ask them in the same order as the form. 

Jesus!!

Ugh, now that really sucks.  Truly sorry for her because I'm sure it means a ton to her and she undoubtedly worked her ### off.

However, glass half full, now there's more time for scholarship essays!

Today is the dealine for many schools early action/early decisions.

My daughter is using the regular decision date for her 6 schools (only two offered early action).   Did any one here have today as a deadline for your kid?

Yep my daughter has one or two in the works. I am really concerned that I think she is going for "early decision" on her school of choice because of the higher acceptance chance. 

I have tried to explain if she gets accepted and we can't pay it, she is screwed and meanwhile she has missed out on deadlines for other schools. 

I am hoping to get her to go early action instead--luckily that application isn't due until the 10th so I have time to talk to her.

Maybe instead of her breaking her ankle she could have landed on her head and knocked some sense into her :P

Yep my daughter has one or two in the works. I am really concerned that I think she is going for "early decision" on her school of choice because of the higher acceptance chance. 

I have tried to explain if she gets accepted and we can't pay it, she is screwed and meanwhile she has missed out on deadlines for other schools. 

I am hoping to get her to go early action instead--luckily that application isn't due until the 10th so I have time to talk to her.

Maybe instead of her breaking her ankle she could have landed on her head and knocked some sense into her :P
I am unaware how the binding issue works for Early Decision.  I thought there was some rule that you could back out even if accepted and you could not afford to pay it.

Are you saying that you can't ever back out with a financial reason?

Also, why would she miss any deadlines?  I am pretty sure most schools have Jan. 1st as the regular deadline.  If I am understanding the process correctly, early action does not help students much more than regular decision.  I have read that early decision definitely can help though.

I am confused by it as well.

The reason my daughter (according to her logic) is going this route is the acceptance rate is like 31% for ED vs like 16% for EA at this school and this is like vs 7% normal application.

I do think you have to withdraw all your other applications once you get the acceptance letter. At least that's what I've read. So considering that, you may ultimately decline to go to the school for financial reasons, but you've now withdrawn all your other applications and have to start over. 

Sorry for rant....
If she doesn't get a scholarship this year, can you pay for just the first year and then have her go for a scholarship for years 2-4?

Daughter applied to Winona State and Louisville. Accepted to both. 

Winona is offering 10K while Louisville is offering 40K. Still need to go the scholarship route and see if we can knock it down some more. 

Official tour at Louisville is next Friday. 

No plans on applying anywhere else although I keep encouraging. Says she's fine picking between one of these 2 schools. 

Fishboy said:
Daughter applied to Winona State and Louisville. Accepted to both. 

Winona is offering 10K while Louisville is offering 40K. Still need to go the scholarship route and see if we can knock it down some more. 

Official tour at Louisville is next Friday. 

No plans on applying anywhere else although I keep encouraging. Says she's fine picking between one of these 2 schools. 
How did she find out so quickly?  I thought early action/early decision answers came in December?

Today is the dealine for many schools early action/early decisions.

My daughter is using the regular decision date for her 6 schools (only two offered early action).   Did any one here have today as a deadline for your kid?
We sent UMD and U of Mich last night.  We'd done Ga Tech a few weeks ago.  Engineering programs.  We live in MD and UMD is the app I really cared about.  That will be her safety school.  We'll shoot out about 6 or 7 reach school apps by the reg decision date and see if 1 or 2 stick (entirely possible as she has a strong and unique resume) and then decide.  But she's content going to MD.  I liked MD's app as you can just download your resume instead of entering each individual activity one at a time as in the Common App.

We sent UMD and U of Mich last night.  We'd done Ga Tech a few weeks ago.  Engineering programs.  We live in MD and UMD is the app I really cared about.  That will be her safety school.  We'll shoot out about 6 or 7 reach school apps by the reg decision date and see if 1 or 2 stick (entirely possible as she has a strong and unique resume) and then decide.  But she's content going to MD.  I liked MD's app as you can just download your resume instead of entering each individual activity one at a time as in the Common App.
It is hidden but I have seen in the school specfic section part of the common app, under the menu Activities, the ability to upload your resume right into the common app.   This appears to be school specfic though.

Did she do EA on all 3 or did she do ED on one?

It is hidden but I have seen in the school specfic section part of the common app, under the menu Activities, the ability to upload your resume right into the common app.   This appears to be school specfic though.

Did she do EA on all 3 or did she do ED on one?
Thanks for that tidbit about uploading the resume.  Sorry, she did EA on all three.  Couldn't get her going early enough in the process to settle on a favorite to do the ED route.  To be fair, she has had a very full schedule so I can't fault her too much.  I know acceptance rates dip with reg decision but I feel she has a shot at an acceptance or two.  But MD is a nice fallback.

How did she find out so quickly?  I thought early action/early decision answers came in December?
We (parents) gave her a deadline that she had to apply to at least 2 schools by Oct 1, which she did. 

Got the letter in the mail from Winona maybe 10 days later congratulating her on her acceptance and informing her of the 10K scholarship.  (2,500/year)

For Louisville, she got a letter in the mail about a week after Winona on her acceptance.  In looking at her .edu email at Louisville, it was created on 10.11.  The letter with the 40K in scholarship came within the last 2 days. 

Like I said my daughter was doing a few last night (of course waiting until the last minute). Now, I was pretty pissed that she was just sending out so many last night, when some of them were obviously going to accept her (like 85% acceptance rate)  if she just applied regularly, but she told me that the only reason she doing so many was if she applied early to them they would waive the application fees. So she wanted to save me money. :(  She was really sad about all the money she has cost me these last few weeks between xrays and such on her broken ankle.

But here comes the bad part. She was rushing through and had this one application that was her #2 school choice University of Denver--really, really expensive school. $75 application fee and an additional fee to send them her SAT score. The deadline to submit was coming fast at midnight last night. She shows me her personal statement that she needed to send and I hated to be harsh, but it was bad. She is a gifted writer, but this was not her best work by any stretch. I mean I could tell she just threw it together in a hurry--an example was she used the same adjective twice in the first sentence and there were two misspellings. . So I tell her I will help fix this and she bursts into tears because I didn't like it.My wife and I massage this thing into a coherent essay and she starts working on the rest of the application. She gets to the question about do you waive your right to see your letters of recommendations or something like that  and my wife tells her to check no. I was folding laundry and sort of half listening, but after it is submitted I start researching that part and the overwhelming internet answer is this is a huge problem to check that box no. So here comes the next round of tears. She then sends an email to admissions wondering how she can change that answer--this is a private application not a Common App and we haven't heard from them.

This weekend is her big application for her #1 school. I am going to make her take her time. It is another $80 application fee. My wife and I are going to do our CSS that morning, pray for us.

Like I said my daughter was doing a few last night (of course waiting until the last minute). Now, I was pretty pissed that she was just sending out so many last night, when some of them were obviously going to accept her (like 85% acceptance rate)  if she just applied regularly, but she told me that the only reason she doing so many was if she applied early to them they would waive the application fees. So she wanted to save me money. :(  She was really sad about all the money she has cost me these last few weeks between xrays and such on her broken ankle.

But here comes the bad part. She was rushing through and had this one application that was her #2 school choice University of Denver--really, really expensive school. $75 application fee and an additional fee to send them her SAT score. The deadline to submit was coming fast at midnight last night. She shows me her personal statement that she needed to send and I hated to be harsh, but it was bad. She is a gifted writer, but this was not her best work by any stretch. I mean I could tell she just threw it together in a hurry--an example was she used the same adjective twice in the first sentence and there were two misspellings. . So I tell her I will help fix this and she bursts into tears because I didn't like it.My wife and I massage this thing into a coherent essay and she starts working on the rest of the application. She gets to the question about do you waive your right to see your letters of recommendations or something like that  and my wife tells her to check no. I was folding laundry and sort of half listening, but after it is submitted I start researching that part and the overwhelming internet answer is this is a huge problem to check that box no. So here comes the next round of tears. She then sends an email to admissions wondering how she can change that answer--this is a private application not a Common App and we haven't heard from them.

This weekend is her big application for her #1 school. I am going to make her take her time. It is another $80 application fee. My wife and I are going to do our CSS that morning, pray for us.
My daughter has received three emails from Colorado College within the last week alerting her about its approaching deadline.  She's never indicated any interest in attending the school, though it sounds intriguing.

Question about ACT superscoring: Does a superscore of 30.5 translate to a 31 or a 30?

One item I have stayed away from pressing my daughter on is applying for the private scholarships (non school affiliated).

She is applying for the Wesleyan full boat scholarship because she already has the material in hand so there is no extra work (a work of fiction, poetry, lyrics, play, script or other creative writing) but we have not looked any other private type scholarships.

Now that the common app seems to be in pretty good shape, when is the right time to start looking into the private scholarships?  Do kids tend to apply for these before the apply to school in January or are these typically applied for after the January period?

One item I have stayed away from pressing my daughter on is applying for the private scholarships (non school affiliated).

She is applying for the Wesleyan full boat scholarship because she already has the material in hand so there is no extra work (a work of fiction, poetry, lyrics, play, script or other creative writing) but we have not looked any other private type scholarships.

Now that the common app seems to be in pretty good shape, when is the right time to start looking into the private scholarships?  Do kids tend to apply for these before the apply to school in January or are these typically applied for after the January period?
I wouldn't wait until January.  Not that I've had time to dive in but I keep seeing deadlines come and go for various scholarships.  Check out Fastweb.

I wouldn't wait until January.  Not that I've had time to dive in but I keep seeing deadlines come and go for various scholarships.  Check out Fastweb.
Thanks for the head up.  I am working through the many choices on Fastweb right now.

I am finding a good many of the choices suggested are for children who are already enrolled in a college.  Do you know how I can filter those out all at once?

Well update: daughter got it all done somehow, someway: including the Barnes . Scholarship deadline (4 full ride scholarships for math and science at CC) which I thought was stupid she had to do so early because they wait until the regular applications are processed before awarding it--so why not give all applicants  that deadline? And if she doesn't even get accepted, what is the point of her killing herself to get it done? 

i managed to get her off early decision and over to early action thank god!! 

The frustrating thing is getting the school's counsellors to get their side done. The deadlines were last night on some stuff and I had to take some time off work to go into her school and "remind" them to get paperwork sent.

The deadline for the Coke leadership scholarships was yesterday too. Coke was offering a lot of money in varying amounts and that was probably the easiest one she has had to do. 

She has one more big one she is going for but it is due like 3 weeks from now. 

Well now it is just sit back and wait time. 

Well update: daughter got it all done somehow, someway: including the Barnes . Scholarship deadline (4 full ride scholarships for math and science at CC) which I thought was stupid she had to do so early because they wait until the regular applications are processed before awarding it--so why not give all applicants  that deadline? And if she doesn't even get accepted, what is the point of her killing herself to get it done? 

i managed to get her off early decision and over to early action thank god!! 

The frustrating thing is getting the school's counsellors to get their side done. The deadlines were last night on some stuff and I had to take some time off work to go into her school and "remind" them to get paperwork sent.

The deadline for the Coke leadership scholarships was yesterday too. Coke was offering a lot of money in varying amounts and that was probably the easiest one she has had to do. 

She has one more big one she is going for but it is due like 3 weeks from now. 

Well now it is just sit back and wait time. 
CJ, I'm glad your daughter took care of business.  Congrats.

I'm down that I was asleep at the wheel on the Coke scholarship.  Sounded like it could've been up my daughter's alley.  If you don't mind, could you elaborate about why you think your daughter has a shot at a leadership scholarship specifically?  I know her ranking and GPA are gold but what else has she done in the leadership realm?  Just asking to sort of gauge what my daughter's chances are.  TIA

Man, you weren't kidding. And the auto import from the IRS made the FAFSA even easier, but the one where you really wish you could use it is the CSS. Even the parts that just ask for info off your 1040 have you jumping all over it. I wish if they were going to ask all those questions anyway that they'd just ask them in the same order as the form. 
So today I get an email from College Board that the school my daughter applied ED to is requesting more documents for financial aid and wanted me to upload them on IDOC. 

Basically had to upload our 2015 tax return and w-2s (if I had to do this anyway, why ask me all those questions about them in the first place?  :rant: ) as well as some other things I had to print out, sign, and then upload. 

What a pain. 

jhib said:
So today I get an email from College Board that the school my daughter applied ED to is requesting more documents for financial aid and wanted me to upload them on IDOC. 

Basically had to upload our 2015 tax return and w-2s (if I had to do this anyway, why ask me all those questions about them in the first place?  :rant: ) as well as some other things I had to print out, sign, and then upload. 

What a pain. 
Sure it was the college and not the feds?

jhib said:

What a pain. 
Sure it was the college and not the feds?

Users who are viewing this thread