Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

College Admissions Questions

9 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

I know it is really early, but I am concerned about how this closure of most high schools will affect the AP tests scheduled for this spring.  Not only will they be delayed, but how will they be administered since my son took his in class last year.  Also, there are still some students taking classes in person (I think) while others are only completing online assignments from the teacher.  This seems to make an un-level playing field that should be accounted for somehow.

My daughter mentioned rumors of possibly taking AP tests online. Like at home, un-monitored. :loco:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*exhale* Admitted to Texas A&M engineering. Regardless of what happens with his other applications, it’s a big relief to know that he has somewhere to go in the fall. And a top engineering pr

Son got in to his first choice school yesterday - USC. He is super excited and we are relieved to finally be done with this incredibly long and stressful process. He’ll be pursuing a mechanical engine

In at Clemson! Happy that he now has a choice to make for college. Now we’ll see whether the reach schools pan out. It will be a while before we hear for most of them. 

31 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

I know it is really early, but I am concerned about how this closure of most high schools will affect the AP tests scheduled for this spring.  Not only will they be delayed, but how will they be administered since my son took his in class last year.  Also, there are still some students taking classes in person (I think) while others are only completing online assignments from the teacher.  This seems to make an un-level playing field that should be accounted for somehow.

I believe I read AP tests not yet administered were cancelled.  The next available test was June.  Maybe I read that wrong.

I'm bummed because we get the test taken in high school during a class day for free.  Now we have to schedule something extra and pay for it for our junior who would be applying for schools before the school offers it again in person.

I admittedly didnt know much about Liberty University when I signed up for info for my daughter, but safe to say, she wont be attending.

While every other school/business/entity in the world is bombarding me with emails describing how concerned they are for my safety, Liberty has been sending out a very different message. They have been boasting about keeping their doors open despite all the warnings. I believe they were one of (if not the) last schools to officially suspend in-person classes.

Their last email is down-right despicable... "Don’t let COVID-19 interrupt your student experience."  In the email, they discuss their "goal". Again, every other email I have received talked about safety being the #1 priority. This email literally said "Our goal is to ensure minimal, if any, disruption to your student experience." I was floored. :thumbdown: Good luck with this "campaign" Liberty.

35 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

My daughter mentioned rumors of possibly taking AP tests online. Like at home, un-monitored. :loco:

We received a communication from our school that college board is exploring the possibility of online tests. 

NYC high schools look at only your 7th grade for grades, test scores attendance, etc.

7th grade floppinho has been flat out crushing it this year, with almost all 100s in his classes, and he's always been a great year taker. Hasn't even missed a single day of school yet (at some inconvenience to us in terms of vacations).

We're convinced all of this will be for naught because of the virus. Thinking they'll use some kind of goofy lottery or other method that won't take into account the amazing job he's done...and he'll end up in some school he could've slept his way into without all this effort.

Hope not. 

Sorry...not college, I know 

Pretty rough week so far for my son.

Rejected at Bowdoin and Swarthmore (we knew those would be really tough) and waitlisted at Amherst (in that same group, but probably one of his top two choices) and Boston College (we thought he'd get in there).  At least he was accepted to Villanova - toward the bottom of his list, but he didn't apply anywhere he wouldn't be satisfied attending, so we can still be positive.

Forgot all about this thread and that we still had stuff in circulation for schools we likely can no longer afford with the market in chaos. Got into Bentley and about a 40% scholarship / FA package. Still way too much leftover to have to pay. Boston College said they got 40% more applicants than last year and only accepted 8% of them, so got denied there. 

32 minutes ago, jhib said:

Rejected at Bowdoin and Swarthmore (we knew those would be really tough) and waitlisted at Amherst (in that same group, but probably one of his top two choices) and Boston College (we thought he'd get in there).  At least he was accepted to Villanova - toward the bottom of his list, but he didn't apply anywhere he wouldn't be satisfied attending, so we can still be positive.

Such a brutal process. Congrats to him on Nova, never met anyone who didn’t love their time there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Forgot all about this thread and that we still had stuff in circulation for schools we likely can no longer afford with the market in chaos. Got into Bentley and about a 40% scholarship / FA package. Still way too much leftover to have to pay. Boston College said they got 40% more applicants than last year and only accepted 8% of them, so got denied there. 

I am quite sure you were misinformed.

1 hour ago, jhib said:

I’m sorry to hear that. That’s got to be really tough. Hopefully he is excited about Villanova. I’ve heard great things  

I fear that we are in store for the same experience this coming week. We’ll hear from the remaining four schools in the next seven days and three of the four are reaches.  And we’ll be hearing from my son’s #1 and #2 schools among that group. I have a growing sense of unease. 

He also got waitlisted at Georgia Tech this past weekend. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Last year’s acceptance rate was 27%. Dropping from 27% to 8% in one year seems exceedingly unlikely. 8% is Brown’s acceptance rate.  In any event, glad to know your son already has some good options. 

Edited by bigbottom
5 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

I’m sorry to hear that. That’s got to be really tough. Hopefully he is excited about Villanova. I’ve heard great things  

I fear that we are in store for the same experience this coming week. We’ll hear from the remaining four schools in the next seven days and three of the four are reaches.  And we’ll be hearing from my son’s #1 and #2 schools among that group. I have a growing sense of unease. 

Thanks.  He still has some left to hear from, too - a couple more reaches and a few more realistic ones.  Just particularly bummed today because BC, Amherst, and Swarthmore decisions all came within a couple hours.

I was initially against his applying to what I thought was too many (but he insisted that he wanted to), and I don't know if doing so hurt him, but at the moment I'm a bit relieved that he did.  Hopefully he has a few good choices to pick from when the time comes.

3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Last year’s acceptance rate was 27%. Dropping from 27% to 8% in one year seems exceedingly unlikely. 8% is Brown’s acceptance rate. 

Apps going up 40% is equally unlikely

3 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Sorry, there was a typo. Should have been 18%. 

Ah okay. That makes more sense. Has your son decided where he’s going to go?  Or is he still waiting on acceptances/fa decisions?

5 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Ah okay. That makes more sense. Has your son decided where he’s going to go?  Or is he still waiting on acceptances/fa decisions?

Still waiting on both acceptances and FA packages. One of the issues is his cheapest out of pocket school is his least favorite and his top choice(s) are offering only token aid. We will have to set up a spreadsheet with what the actual yearly projected costs would be once we get all the information. 

On 3/18/2020 at 10:53 AM, E-Z Glider said:

I've heard that AP tests will be 45 minute, multiple choice tests taken at home. Also rumor is that colleges for now-Juniors will probably not be taking SAT scores. Rumors from my HS Jr daughter.

12 hours ago, ex-ghost said:

I've heard that AP tests will be 45 minute, multiple choice tests taken at home. Also rumor is that colleges for now-Juniors will probably not be taking SAT scores. Rumors from my HS Jr daughter.

How did you get that info about AP tests 11 hours ago?  Wow.  45 minutes is confirmed, but the question types are still being determined and sorted out.

I will confirm that the College Board has released an update this morning that tests will be 45 minutes  They will cover reduced content.  They will be offered on 2 dates.  There will be no face to face testing and the "at home" platform is being developed.  Schedule. question types, and further test details should be made available by April 3rd.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update

ETA: Here are the SAT updates: https://pages.collegeboard.org/natural-disasters

Edited by Galileo

Just heard they're cancelling ALL state tests, at least here in NYC.

These are major admissions criteria for middle and high schools. No word on what the new criteria will be in their absence.

21 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Well, we got some really great news today as our son was admitted to Notre Dame. We think it’s his #2 choice, though he has refused to give us a definitive answer. What we do know is it is between Texas, Notre Dame and his clear #1 choice, which we won’t hear from until the 26th.

Wishing everyone in here the best. It seems all the more stressful having to go through this process with everything going on and also being cooped up in the house all day and night. 

• Like 13
24 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Well, we got some really great news today as our son was admitted to Notre Dame. We think it’s his #2 choice, though he has refused to give us a definitive answer. What we do know is it is between Texas, Notre Dame and his clear #1 choice, which we won’t hear from until the 26th.

Wishing everyone in here the best. It seems all the more stressful having to go through this process with everything going on and also being cooped up in the house all day and night. 

Great news!!!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Galileo said:

Trevor Packer, the VP of AP and Instruction at the College Board, tweeted out earlier today that there will NOT be any multiple choice questions on this year's exams.  

https://twitter.com/AP_Trevor/status/1241058180890796032

That’s actually smart. If they have to administer online, the level of cheating would be incredible. Even if you “monitor” that people don’t go off of the web page, everyone has smart phones and it would just be too easy to cheat. I’ve got no skin in the game (my next oldest is in or was in 9th). 

Today is the day we were supposed to visit Purdue.  :kicksrock:   Although we didn't make our trip, my son got his ACT scores today:  Math - 35 :thumbup:, Science - 35 :thumbup:, English - 30 :), Reading - 27 :loco:.  Composite - 32.  Overall, this is about what I expected to see.  He said after taking the test that he didn't think it went too well...especially the reading.  I guess he was right about the reading, but not bad overall.  He says that he would like to get the composite up in the 34+ range.  Maybe he will take a re-test a little more serious and focus on some practice and review in his weaker areas.  He did essentially no prep for this at all.  So I think he can definitely do better, but he hates to read (chip off the old block).

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Today is the day we were supposed to visit Purdue.  :kicksrock:   Although we didn't make our trip, my son got his ACT scores today:  Math - 35 :thumbup:, Science - 35 :thumbup:, English - 30 :), Reading - 27 :loco:.  Composite - 32.  Overall, this is about what I expected to see.  He said after taking the test that he didn't think it went too well...especially the reading.  I guess he was right about the reading, but not bad overall.  He says that he would like to get the composite up in the 34+ range.  Maybe he will take a re-test a little more serious and focus on some practice and review in his weaker areas.  He did essentially no prep for this at all.  So I think he can definitely do better, but he hates to read (chip off the old block).

Congrats, that’s a great score!  ACT is now reporting a Superscore Composite score, right?  If so, just have him cram for the English and Reading next time. 

Edit:  Actually, it appears he could Bank the 35s and just retake the English and Reading sections if he wanted. 

https://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/more-choices-for-the-act-sept-2020/section-retesting.html

Edited by bigbottom
On 3/20/2020 at 9:47 AM, Galileo said:

How did you get that info about AP tests 11 hours ago?  Wow.  45 minutes is confirmed, but the question types are still being determined and sorted out.

I will confirm that the College Board has released an update this morning that tests will be 45 minutes  They will cover reduced content.  They will be offered on 2 dates.  There will be no face to face testing and the "at home" platform is being developed.  Schedule. question types, and further test details should be made available by April 3rd.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update

ETA: Here are the SAT updates: https://pages.collegeboard.org/natural-disasters

My daughter has 2 AP tests coming up, glad to get some clarity on that.  She was also signed up for May SATs, so just waiting now to see how this shakes out before signing up again.  She's pretty stressed about it but I just keep telling her most juniors are in the same boat, and the regular rules may not apply for those applying to college next year.

Unrelated she's got her learner's permit and was planning on taking her driver's test in May.  DMVs are shut down and are operating on an "appointment-only basis and currently there are no appointments available."  Not that I'd let her in a car with a stranger right about now.

17 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

My daughter has 2 AP tests coming up, glad to get some clarity on that.  She was also signed up for May SATs, so just waiting now to see how this shakes out before signing up again.  She's pretty stressed about it but I just keep telling her most juniors are in the same boat, and the regular rules may not apply for those applying to college next year.

Unrelated she's got her learner's permit and was planning on taking her driver's test in May.  DMVs are shut down and are operating on an "appointment-only basis and currently there are no appointments available."  Not that I'd let her in a car with a stranger right about now.

This.  I know Case Western Reserve University has moved to a "test optional" policy.  I am sure other universities will do something along those lines.  Still, I wonder how the admissions departments will view a candidate without a test score in comparison to a candidate with test scores.

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This.  I know Case Western Reserve University has moved to a "test optional" policy.  I am sure other universities will do something along those lines.  Still, I wonder how the admissions departments will view a candidate without a test score in comparison to a candidate with test scores.

Dumb question. Can't kids just take the tests and if they don't feel they are strong enough just not send them to prospective schools (if they are test optional)?

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

Dumb question. Can't kids just take the tests and if they don't feel they are strong enough just not send them to prospective schools (if they are test optional)?

Problem is that the test sessions have been cancelled.  They can't take them.  I suppose those who have already taken them may be able to do what you are saying.  Many students sign up to have their scores automatically sent to colleges (rather than pay more later to send them) when they take the exams.  So, I guess those people wouldn't have a choice.

26 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Newly Retired is this thread's test optional expert. Bet he will chime in soon enough. 

Does anybody have any experience with McGill U.?  My son got in the other day, and there's actually a decent possibility he'll choose it when the time comes.  We've been to Montreal a couple times and like it a lot, and did a quick unofficial visit last summer.  And he's always been a bit fascinated with Canada in general.

My wife and I have yet to look into what it would mean for him to be studying outside of the U.S. though.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, jhib said:

Does anybody have any experience with McGill U.?  My son got in the other day, and there's actually a decent possibility he'll choose it when the time comes.  We've been to Montreal a couple times and like it a lot, and did a quick unofficial visit last summer.  And he's always been a bit fascinated with Canada in general.

My wife and I have yet to look into what it would mean for him to be studying outside of the U.S. though.

@chet  Any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, jhib said:

Plenty of kids from my children's school attend.  Great general reputation--probably best in Canada--but you have to deal with big classes for at least your freshman and sophomore years..  Montreal is a great city--I went to HS there. LMK if you have any specific questions and I will attempt to answer.  

• Thanks 1

I’m trying to imagine being quarantined with the family this time last year, as admissions news (mostly bad) was trickling in for my daughter. Stressful enough on its own, best of luck to all of you living it now. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, chet said:

Plenty of kids from my children's school attend.  Great general reputation--probably best in Canada--but you have to deal with big classes for at least your freshman and sophomore years..  Montreal is a great city--I went to HS there. LMK if you have any specific questions and I will attempt to answer.  

Thanks, chet!  Yeah, the size is one of my concerns. Most of the other schools he applied to were smaller liberal arts colleges and mid-size schools. 

I don't have any specific questions at this point, but will be sure to bring them up if they come.  Thanks for the offer.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:00 PM, jhib said:

At least he was accepted to Villanova - toward the bottom of his list, but he didn't apply anywhere he wouldn't be satisfied attending, so we can still be positive.

Its too bad your son didnt get to experience accepted students day at Nova. It was by far the best of any we went to. They had students lining both sides of the sidewalks the whole way from the parking garage to Finneran Pavillion. You literally walked through a sea of students. There was music pumping and they were all dancing, cheering wildly, chanting "come to Nova", and giving high-fives as you walked down the sidewalk, etc. You finished by coming down the entrance-way to the pavillion where it was near bedlam. Felt like we were movie stars with crowds going nuts for us. Then they directed you onto the court where we stood beneath the National Championship banners and the president delivered a very funny/emotional speech that ended with him dropping to a knee and "proposing" to the whole crowd when he asked our kids to marry him. Brought everyone to their feet. It was all pretty amazing. Nova was towards the bottom of my daughter's list too, but she was ready to sign up on the spot after that first 30-minutes on campus.  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

seems like this Thurs is a big release day....my son was emailed that 2 in his top 5 are releasing that day.....do you usually get merit aid same time?  

Depends on the school - this Thursday is "Ivy Day," so any of those schools are in his top 5, be aware none of them offer merit aid

16 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Yes. Though the lovely College Board makes you pay a fee if you want to see the scores before you send them onto colleges. I think it's like $15 per school

My daughter started on-line school yesterday. Most of her classes are between 15-25 people and they are using Zoom. In one of her classes, they went around the room and everyone described their situation (where they are living, how many people, what their workspace was like, what type of internet they had, etc). Most were in the same boat, but one girl was an international student who had recently returned home to China. Because she came from the US, she was currently living a hotel on day 9 of a 14-day government mandated quarantine. She had still not seen her family and had 5 more days before she was allowed to integrate back into society.

Whoa, Tufts just announced they are going test optional for 3 years - to accommodate current high schoolers impacted by the outbreak - and will reassess the need to reinstate mandatory test scores at that point. No way they ever go back, once they see that being test-optional yields them the same caliber of students while increasing diversity. I wish the College Board were a publicly traded company (rather than, laughably, a non-profit) so I could short sell it. They are going to lose so much from diminished SAT and AP testing once people see how generally pointless they are

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Whoa, Tufts just announced they are going test optional for 3 years - to accommodate current high schoolers impacted by the outbreak - and will reassess the need to reinstate mandatory test scores at that point. No way they ever go back, once they see that being test-optional yields them the same caliber of students while increasing diversity. I wish the College Board were a publicly traded company (rather than, laughably, a non-profit) so I could short sell it. They are going to lose so much from diminished SAT and AP testing once people see how generally pointless they are

This could be the catalyst for bursting the testing bubble.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, jhib said:

Congrats!

Very removed and specific, but I knew three people in grad school who went there undergrad...liked all of them and all were really bright and well rounded.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, chet said:

Many Ivys announcing they are going to award all students As for this semester.  I heard Columbia is going Pass/Fail.  

Seems lame to me. 

I haven't heard that about any Ivy League school. Dartmouth is going to universal Pass/Fail. Brown hasn't made any announcement yet

Cornell (at this point in time) is giving students the option to switch any of their classes to Pass/Fail or stick with regular grades.  P/F classes will still count towards their major when they usually wouldn't otherwise, but won't affect their GPA.  Some students are petitioning for it to be universal P/F, but others are arguing that they want the grade GPA options for grad school considerations.

They're certainly not handing out A's.  That's probably just Harvard - they usually give out B minimums anyway, so no big deal. ;)