Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

College Admissions Questions

2 minutes ago, chet said:
1 hour ago, The_Man said:

I haven't heard that about any Ivy League school. Dartmouth is going to universal Pass/Fail. Brown hasn't made any announcement yet

Harvard and Princeton

Fwiw, I haven't heard anything about Columbia, my alma mater.

But I think I agree with you that this does a disservice to the students who have worked hard this year to do well. Would wish something better that reflects the relative efforts and abilities than all As or pass/fail

My son was just wait listed at Lehigh which was one of his top choices.....3.98 GPA and 1490 SAT - I never thought that he wouldnt get into a school like Lehigh with those scores.... Oh well - will save a ton of money as he'll likely go to state school now

Edited by Kiddnets
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kiddnets said:

My son was just wait listed at Lehigh which was one of his top choices.....3.98 GPA and 1490 SAT - I never thought that he wouldnt get into a school like Lehigh with those scores.... Oh well - will save a ton of money as he'll likely go to state school now

That’s crazy 

But I do think there’s going to be a ton of waitlist action this year. 

1 hour ago, Kiddnets said:

That’s a bummer. But I agree with The Man in that I think wait list admits for pricy private schools will be higher than in prior years given the current state of the economy. 

2 hours ago, bigbottom said:

That’s a bummer. But I agree with The Man in that I think wait list admits for pricy private schools will be higher than in prior years given the current state of the economy. 

Agree. Now, are you willing to pay full or close to it?

Lehigh puts a lot of emphasis on demonstrated interest. Be sure to have you son reach out to the school if he is still considering.

9 hours ago, Whyatt said:

Agree. Now, are you willing to pay full or close to it?

Lehigh puts a lot of emphasis on demonstrated interest. Be sure to have you son reach out to the school if he is still considering.

Went on 2 tours and emailed/called admissions mult times...not much more he could have done

the waitlist FAQ states no merit aid for wait list candidates so that pretty much rules them out...he loved Lehigh but not worth $76k yr over 2 other solid schools at $38k and $52k yr....makes the decision much easier to move on....bummed tho!  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 6:04 PM, jhib said:

Does anybody have any experience with McGill U.?  My son got in the other day, and there's actually a decent possibility he'll choose it when the time comes.  We've been to Montreal a couple times and like it a lot, and did a quick unofficial visit last summer.  And he's always been a bit fascinated with Canada in general.

My wife and I have yet to look into what it would mean for him to be studying outside of the U.S. though.

I worked with McGill on its communications in the late 90s/early 00s as they begin their push into recruiting more Americans. Great school, great city, though much different in winter than summer! Drinking age is 18, and yet I bet that means more normal behavior going to bars and much less frat party binge drinking like in the U.S.

As noted below, classes for the first couple of years can be very large but once you're past 80 or 100 kids in a class, I'm not sure how much difference it makes. Also, much less handholding than at a lot of American schools, particularly for finding housing after freshman year. He'll likely be looking to sign a year-long lease pretty early into freshman year to make sure he has something as a sophomore.

The other thing to think about is our new post-coronavirus world. Will there be issues getting in/out of Canada? I hope not but you never know.

Overall, it is a great school, well-respected, in a great location and a bargain. Bonus is that he'll probably pick up a good bit of French if he doesn't speak it already

16 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

Wow.....I really don't understand anything about this process.  I just don't get it.  Sorry man.  

I know the devil will be in the details but one reported aspect of the bailout package is interest-free student loans. My oldest will be a senior next year and has no loans in his financial aid package. It's a stretch to make our EFC each year but we do - now I'm wondering if it might be worth applying for an interest-free loan for next year. Don't know what the repayment terms are yet, but if it's even more than 1 year then I can't see why we wouldn't use loan money to pay tuition up-front and then pay it back with 0% interest. Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, The_Man said:

I know the devil will be in the details but one reported aspect of the bailout package is interest-free student loans. My oldest will be a senior next year and has no loans in his financial aid package. It's a stretch to make our EFC each year but we do - now I'm wondering if it might be worth applying for an interest-free loan for next year. Don't know what the repayment terms are yet, but if it's even more than 1 year then I can't see why we wouldn't use loan money to pay tuition up-front and then pay it back with 0% interest. Any thoughts?

Go for it. At worst, you get interest-free $ to use. At best, even these bailout package loans might get lumped together with other loans and get forgiven in the future.

• Like 1

My daughter's high school sent out an email yesterday regarding P/F 

Our goal is normalcy and if we are able to maintain our existing grading policies even with our real challenges, we intend to do so. All plans right now, however, are contingent and therefore we will remain appropriately nimble in our approach. For better or worse, grades are the primary mode of communicating student achievement and academic potential to colleges and universities. It is in our students’ best interest then that we communicate as precisely as possible. If we cannot maintain precision as we hope, we will consider alternatives.

I know figuring out how to do testing is the part they are struggling with the most in terms of grading.  

waitlisted at Bucknell....visited and showed interest....I know his 3.96 so maybe they were looking for over a 4.0 but 1490 SAT doesnt get you into much anymore I guess....I would have trouble getting into county college today!  

Down to Rutgers vs Stevens....not a bad decision but still shocked.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

waitlisted at Bucknell....visited and showed interest....I know his 3.96 so maybe they were looking for over a 4.0 but 1490 SAT doesnt get you into much anymore I guess....I would have trouble getting into county college today!  

Bucknell and Lehigh?

It's a beaten drum, but those numbers would've gotten in to pretty much any school in my days applying..and he likely wouldn't have even looked at Bucknell and Lehigh as he focused on which ivy to attend.

It's mind bottling to the extreme. 

11 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

Word on the street is that more and more colleges are using the waitlist to manipulate (artificially lower) their acceptance rates and increase yield rates. And with the economy the way it is, I’d expect a fair amount of waitlist activity. I know it’s a bummer, but if Bucknell is a top choice, I’d recommend getting on the waitlist and doing whatever is recommended to show continued interest. Best of luck to your kiddo!

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 2

Son got in to his first choice school yesterday - USC. He is super excited and we are relieved to finally be done with this incredibly long and stressful process. He’ll be pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. Wishing all of you the best of luck as you and your kids finalize your decisions.  

• Like 17
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Son got in to his first choice school yesterday - USC. He is super excited and we are relieved to finally be done with this incredibly long and stressful process. He’ll be pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. Wishing all of you the best of luck as you and your kids finalize your decisions.  

Congrats to Lil' Biggy - great news!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Man, great news to start the day with! Awesome. Congrats.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Congrats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

I said it before, you guys had a great search process - and at the end of it he ended up at his first choice. Amazing! Though I will say that even when kids don't end up at their first choice, things have a great way of working out as long as the kid commits to being successful and engaged wherever they go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Bucknell and Lehigh?

It's a beaten drum, but those numbers would've gotten in to pretty much any school in my days applying..and he likely wouldn't have even looked at Bucknell and Lehigh as he focused on which ivy to attend.

It's mind bottling to the extreme. 

thdx man - the 3.96 is a weighted GPA so definitely didnt expect ivy or the Dukes of the world 0 but thought Lehigh and Bucknell would be a shoe in....

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

Word on the street is that more and more colleges are using the waitlist to manipulate (artificially lower) their acceptance rates and increase yield rates. And with the economy the way it is, I’d expect a fair amount of waitlist activity. I know it’s a bummer, but if Bucknell is a top choice, I’d recommend getting on the waitlist and doing whatever is recommended to show continued interest. Best of luck to your kiddo!

interesting - thx for the info

both are out as waitlist doesnt get merit aid and we are not in a position to pay $75K yr as we make just enough to get 0 in need aid lol.....so making the decision between Rutgers and Stevens this weekend - both really impressed me

3 hours ago, bigbottom said:

Considering that USC is at the forefront of the admissions scandal, I bet the University was particularly careful and selective during this admissions cycle. Even more reason to celebrate your stud.

1 hour ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Considering that USC is at the forefront of the admissions scandal, I bet the University was particularly careful and selective during this admissions cycle. Even more reason to celebrate your stud.

Thanks so much.  The doctored photos of my son rowing crew helped as well!

• Laughing 2

4 hours ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Great point.  Even more reason to be proud that your son got in without the help of some shady dealings.  @bigbottom, what are you going to do with an empty nest?

48 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Great point.  Even more reason to be proud that your son got in without the help of some shady dealings.  @bigbottom, what are you going to do with an empty nest?

According to my wife, we'll be spending a lot of time visiting Southern California.  It's going to be really quiet at home - probably more time with music and hopefully some travel.  Again, thank you very much for all the advice and insight along the way.

7 hours ago, The_Man said:

I said it before, you guys had a great search process - and at the end of it he ended up at his first choice. Amazing! Though I will say that even when kids don't end up at their first choice, things have a great way of working out as long as the kid commits to being successful and engaged wherever they go

Thank you for all the great advice in this thread.  The process was probably more intense than it needed to be, and applying to ten schools was probably too much, but we are thankful with how things turned out and relieved to be through it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

interesting - thx for the info

both are out as waitlist doesnt get merit aid and we are not in a position to pay $75K yr as we make just enough to get 0 in need aid lol.....so making the decision between Rutgers and Stevens this weekend - both really impressed me

I’ll share what I went through last year with my daughter, same exact SAT, similar GPA. 5 wait lists, including Bucknell, BU, Lehigh, W&L and Richmond. May 1 came and went and she picked another school. Then the schools started calling, BU, Bucknell, Richmond. Bucknell actually offer 10k/year, the others less. My daughter picked Richmond.

• Like 2

I was just sent this update from the College Board regarding SAT.  There isn't much there to hang your hat on, but I figured I would pass it along to those curious.

We know that students are anxious about how the coronavirus crisis will affect the college application process, including taking the SAT. We're committed to being flexible and innovative to give all students opportunities to test as soon as the situation allows. We'll share more details as soon as possible, but today we can tell you the following:

•Currently, the next SAT is scheduled for the first weekend of June. We'll make a decision about whether we can safely hold that administration as soon as it is feasible, given the evolving public health situation.

•We'll add U.S. and international test administrations in response to canceled administrations. We'll be flexible in making the SAT available in school and out of school as soon as the public health situation allows. We're looking at a range of creative solutions to address increased demand and are in direct conversations with states and districts about School Day administrations. Throughout, we'll continue to place a special focus on students with fee waivers and those with accommodations.

•Students can stay sharp and get personalized practice support online for free with Khan Academy.

•If, unfortunately, schools cannot reopen this fall, we're pursuing innovative means to ensure all students can still take the SAT this fall. We'll provide updates about those plans if they become necessary.

Counselors are working especially hard to help students navigate the changing environment, and we're deeply grateful for their commitment to students. To support their work, we're introducing a spring counselor webinar series highlighting updates and resources for the SAT and AP to help counselors navigate and guide students through the college admissions pathway. We'll also help with the increasing need for tools and resources for college affordability.

We're working closely with our members in higher education to minimize the disruption of SAT administration cancellations this spring and to encourage flexibility in the college admissions process whenever possible. We're heartened by those institutions that have already made clear, calming statements that emphasize flexibility in admissions at this time—encouraging students to submit as much information as they can, and reassuring applicants that they will not be disadvantaged should they have to submit Pass/Fail grades for the spring, have incomplete extracurricular profiles, or miss a testing deadline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is tons of great advice in this thread from a lot of folks with a wealth of knowledge and experience in college admissions.  To the extent it is at all helpful to those who will be tackling this process in the next year, I thought I'd put down my thoughts based on our experience and what we learned.  This is obviously just one person's perspective based upon an clearly limited experience (and I'm sure there are lots of contrary opinions), so take everything below with a grain of salt.

1) Testing - To the extent testing remains relevant for admissions, I recommend that kids take both the SAT and the ACT and do so early in their Junior year.  Although there is a great deal of overlap in terms of substance, the testing structure is actually quite different between the two.  For many kids, one test will play to their skills and abilities more than the other, and it's often hard to know which is which until you take it.  Once that has been determined, they can focus on the test that is the better fit for subsequent sittings. And, who knows, your kid might get lucky and knock out their goal score during their junior year - which means one less thing to worry about over the summer or in the fall.

2) Writing Section - Relatively few colleges take the writing section of the ACT into account (may be the same for SAT).  My recommendation (for what it's worth) is to not sign up for the ACT + writing test unless you plan to apply to a school that requires it (UC schools, and a number of the elite schools).  Why do I say this?  Well, my kid was able to get a really good ACT score.  But he completely bombed the writing section.  And while none of the schools to which he applied required the writing section (and even stated expressly that they didn't consider it), there it was on every single score report submitted to every single school.  The proverbial fly in the ointment.  This created a lot of unnecessary stress.  If you do decide to do the optional writing section, don't blow off preparation for it (like we did).  Be sure to allocate sufficient time to understand how it is graded and do a bunch of practice essays.  This requires a fair amount of work (and your kid will already have a ton of work), so if none of the schools to which your kid is applying take it into consideration, it's best just to pass in my opinion.

3) SAT Subject Tests - These suck.  But they may be helpful if you're applying to highly competitive schools.  Others' experience may differ, but these took a lot of effort in terms of preparation and are super hard.  For example, my son took the Math II and Physics Subject Tests - the Physics test covered topics that are not covered in AP Physics.  So my son had to learn completely new subject matter areas that he'd never seen before (these subjects are now being covered in his AP Physics C class, but that is long after the SAT Subject test is required to be taken).  And if you don't score well on those tests, it's really not worth submitting them.  In the end, my son did "okay", but the scores weren't high enough to help his application so we didn't submit them.  In hindsight, that was a lot of time and effort wasted.  So if you are applying to schools where these are required and good scores are necessary, get ready to spend a lot of time on preparation (at least for the Math II and Physics tests - not sure about the others).

4) Campus Visits - To the extent you can, start these early (sophomore year even), and don't limit yourself to schools that your kids are interested in.  In fact, it's both inexpensive and informative to go visit local campuses (within driving distance), even if it's not for a formal tour.  By spending some time in different campus environments, your kid will likely start to develop some opinions on what they are looking for.  Large school versus small.  Urban versus non-urban environment.  Old historic buildings versus modern spaces.  Some of these criteria may seem irrelevant or arbitrary, but they can also be extremely helpful when it comes time to actually narrow down the list of schools to which your kid will be applying.

5) College Selection - Think outside the box.  Whether its doing independent research, talking to your school counselor, or even engaging a consultant, try to keep an open mind. There are so many great schools out there, and the one that is a great fit for your kid may be a school you haven't even heard of.  Don't fall into the trap of applying to the same list of schools that your kids peers talk about, or your own personal list.  We had someone help us come up with a target list based on the things my son was looking for, and there were schools that ended up on the list that we would have never considered because our knowledge was simply too limited.

6) Essay - Personal Statement - Do your best to butt out.  Let your kid find his or her voice in the personal statement.  Many schools have counselors, or even optional classes, that help kids brainstorm about topics for their personal statement and what is likely to be impactful with colleges.  To the extent possible, let these third parties guide your kid through the personal statement process.  Because, as a parent, you're too invested and too close to the situation.  For me, I knew exactly what my son should write about in his personal statement, but I knew that he would immediately resist any advice that I had to give him.  What I learned later, though after taking a completely hands off approach to the process, is that I was wrong.  Because when I ultimately read his personal statement (which wasn't until it was in final form), I realized that his voice was altogether different than my perception of what his voice should be.  Was his personal statement a masterpiece of inspirational prose?  No.  But after reading it, I felt I knew him better (and I already know him really well!).  Ultimately, I came to realize that the goal of the personal statement is not to impress the admissions department.  Rather, it is to show them who you are.  And a parent being overly involved in that process will hinder the achievement of that end (in my opinion).

7) All the Other Essays - There are likely to be a ton of other essays your kids will have to write.  To the extent you can identify the schools to which your kid will be applying, work on these over the summer.  Fall semester of senior year will be very busy, and the last thing your kid needs to slog through is writing 30 different essays.  Also, for the "why our school" essays, your kids need to do their research, and it can't be superficial.  They need to talk specifics.  Whether it's particular research opportunities they're interested in, certain clubs they want to join, specific aspects of campus life, it needs to be detailed and specific to the school.

8) Extracurriculars - I don't have a strong opinion on this topic, because I feel it's all a crap shoot and schools can take very different approaches in terms of what they take into account.  To the extent that I have any opinion, I think demonstrating a commitment (extended involvement, leadership, etc.) to fewer activities is better than a scattershot check the box involvement in a bunch of different things (this applies to service as well).  Unfortunately, not all applications allow you the opportunity to explain the depth of your commitment to a particular activity, but if they do, be sure to take it.

I'm sure there are other things, but that's what I have off the top of my head.  Best of luck to the class of 2021 and beyond as you embark on this process.

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 10

My son, who has mostly been watching TV and playing video games, raised the question last night asking how likely was it that he could start college in the fall or was he looking at having to do on-line learning. I hadn't thought about that and basically told him no one really has any idea what things we be like by then and hopefully it won't get to that.

My daughters college just issued the grading policy for this weird semester.  Every student will continue being graded until the end of semester.

At that time the student will be given their final grade.  If the student does not like the final grade, they can change it, no questions asked, to a pass/fail.

If the student selects pass/fail, the course credit applies as normal to graduation, but nothing in GPA get effected.

This presents an interesting case for my daughter.  As many know who follow the thread, my daughter has some serious problems in college.  However, grades are not one of them.  As such, if she manages to get a A- in a class, it would lower her GPA (she has a 3.93 right now).  So she might have to consider changing an A- to a pass/fail, which is not what the policy was meant for imo.

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

My daughters college just issued the grading policy for this weird semester.  Every student will continue being graded until the end of semester.

At that time the student will be given their final grade.  If the student does not like the final grade, they can change it, no questions asked, to a pass/fail.

If the student selects pass/fail, the course credit applies as normal to graduation, but nothing in GPA get effected.

This presents an interesting case for my daughter.  As many know who follow the thread, my daughter has some serious problems in college.  However, grades are not one of them.  As such, if she manages to get a A- in a class, it would lower her GPA (she has a 3.93 right now).  So she might have to consider changing an A- to a pass/fail, which is not what the policy was meant for imo.

My personal opinion is...so what.  It is not like she will suddenly have 2.5 GPA.  It would not be that large of an impact in the long run.  Tell her to focus on learning and let the GPA take care of itself.  

23 minutes ago, Galileo said:

My personal opinion is...so what.  It is not like she will suddenly have 2.5 GPA.  It would not be that large of an impact in the long run.  Tell her to focus on learning and let the GPA take care of itself.  

I agree.

But you may not understand that grades are almost the only positive thing my daughter has in her life.  She is very very far from the normal 20 year old girl.  Things that make sense for almost everyone else do not work with my daughter problems. 

Since I don't care either way, I am going to let her decide.  Her GPA is going to be meaningless for her since she is unlikely to ever have a normal job.

Edited by NewlyRetired

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I agree.

But you may not understand that grades are almost the only positive thing my daughter has in her life.  She is very very far from the normal 20 year old girl.  Things that make sense for almost everyone else do not work with my daughter problems. 

Since I don't care either way, I am going to let her decide.  Her GPA is going to be meaningless for her since she is unlikely to ever have a normal job.

That's probably true for most jobs...sounds like a good plan you have.  Let her choose.  That will probably cause the least stress for all.  Besides, if I am right and it doesn't really matter in the long run, than there is no harm in whatever she decides here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

That's probably true for most jobs...sounds like a good plan you have.  Let her choose.  That will probably cause the least stress for all.  Besides, if I am right and it doesn't really matter in the long run, than there is no harm in whatever she decides here.

I always thought GPA helps with first job and then became increasingly meaningless.

Speaking of jobs, this actually should start another topic :)

Anyone in here have a senior?  My nephew said all hiring stopped cold for engineering up here in Mass for grads.  I assume many industries are going to hire much slower until the full bottom is reached and we sort through what ever layoffs come with the expected bad results.

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I always thought GPA helps with first job and then became increasingly meaningless.

Anyone in here have a senior?  My nephew said all hiring stopped cold for engineering up here in Mass for grads.  I assume many industries are going to hire much slower until the full bottom is reached and we sort through what ever layoffs come with the expected bad results.

I must admit I have no real experience hiring people, but I could see if you were comparing a 2.2 to 3.8 GPA how that could have some sway, but I would be shocked if a perspective employer put a whole bunch of stock in a 3.6 compared to a 3.8

ETA...and to your second point...yeah, these are strange times.  I would not want to be hitting the job market right now.  Good Luck.

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

(I'd say this less directly, but trust you to take it in the spirit it is intended, which is helping, not bragging)

I have a 3.97 UG GPA instead of a 4.0, and the one ####### non-A i got was, IMO, due to a blizzard "snowpocalypse" where we had to suddenly shift to a remote model for 3 weeks and put me just far enough behind that I couldn't pull the grade up the final 0.5 points needed to get to an A by end of semester. It STILL pisses me off and honestl causes no small amount of annoyance in my brain on a semi-regular basis (e.g. if I edit the resume, or send my resume to someone, etc). if I had been given the pass-fail option to swap it over at end of semester, you bet your ### I would have. And it has had zero impact on any other aspect of my life, grad school, jobs, etc, as best I can tell.

All that to say - it won't really make a difference to anything in life that's outside her head. So my advice to her would be to pick based on what's going to bother her forever or not, because it won't change her life path in any meaningful way, as best I can tell for mine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I must admit I have no real experience hiring people, but I could see if you were comparing a 2.2 to 3.8 GPA how that could have some sway, but I would be shocked if a perspective employer put a whole bunch of stock in a 3.6 compared to a 3.8

ETA...and to your second point...yeah, these are strange times.  I would not want to be hitting the job market right now.  Good Luck.

My firm buckets 3.6 and 3.8 at a meaningfully different tier. Now, 3.96 vs 3.93, nobody gives a crap.

43 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I agree.

Boom.

48 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

My niece is a senior at BC and said several of her friends who had jobs lined up have since had their offers rescinded. This senior class is getting porked every which way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

My niece is a senior at BC and said several of her friends who had jobs lined up have since had their offers rescinded. This senior class is getting porked every which way.

yeah that is exactly what my nephew said.  He is at Northeastern where they place kids at jobs as easy as candy and this year is the complete opposite.

I wonder if grad school is going to see a large bump next year.....

9 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

yeah that is exactly what my nephew said.  He is at Northeastern where they place kids at jobs as easy as candy and this year is the complete opposite.

This sucks so bad. I hope things turn around soon. 

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Little late for a lot of grad school programs now. Grad schools traditionally see a bump in a down economy, but fell off the cliff following the 2008 global economic meltdown. When you can't get a job, grad school looks like a reasonable choice. When no one can get a job and the prospect of taking on big debt with no guarantee of a job afterward, people are scared of grad school.

I have no idea how this is all going to play out for my high school junior. Boston U just joined Tufts in announcing it will be test optional at least for next year. I'm on the verge of telling my kid we'll skip test prep, he can take it one time in the fall to see if he can pull out a miracle and we'll just go test-optional. Also, looks like lots of this year's seniors are now thinking about a gap year, which will take away a lot of seats from this year's juniors in Fall 2021. On the other hand, I think it could be a great year to apply ED (especially full-pay) - because colleges aren't going to have any idea what to expect either and might be ready to jump at filling as much of their class in ED as possible. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Little late for a lot of grad school programs now. Grad schools traditionally see a bump in a down economy, but fell off the cliff following the 2008 global economic meltdown. When you can't get a job, grad school looks like a reasonable choice. When no one can get a job and the prospect of taking on big debt with no guarantee of a job afterward, people are scared of grad school.

I have no idea how this is all going to play out for my high school junior. Boston U just joined Tufts in announcing it will be test optional at least for next year. I'm on the verge of telling my kid we'll skip test prep, he can take it one time in the fall to see if he can pull out a miracle and we'll just go test-optional. Also, looks like lots of this year's seniors are now thinking about a gap year, which will take away a lot of seats from this year's juniors in Fall 2021. On the other hand, I think it could be a great year to apply ED (especially full-pay) - because colleges aren't going to have any idea what to expect either and might be ready to jump at filling as much of their class in ED as possible. 

Interesting. Why do you think this year’s seniors are looking at a gap year in higher numbers than previous years?