Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

College Admissions Questions

My next kid in the pipe a sophomore in HS who aspires to be a college lax player, so he's hoping his college options/decision are sorted out next year. Things typically heat up recruiting-wise on or after Sept 1 of Jr year when college coaches are allowed to start contacting kids but its possible his class won't be well-scouted. Very doubtful there will be any HS season, and I'd have to think the summer club season is also in jeopardy. It will really throw a wrench into the whole process, as college staffs really don't start looking at kids in earnest until their sophomore year, mostly at summer club tournaments. It will all work itself out, just another one of thousands ways corona is screwing #### up.

45 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Might as well get a job, bank some cash and let things settle.  

Hopefully the economy is at a point where it can support jobs for young people out of high school. Right now, economic pressure is forcing the closure of many jobs, as opposed to creating new opportunity.

1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

Might as well get a job, bank some cash and let things settle.  

We’re going to be at 20% unemployment here pretty soon. Not sure what jobs will be available in the near term outside of grocery stores. 

I mean if it looked like my freshman year was going to be online, I'd have taken a gap year, stayed at home with my parents, and played some serious video games. Probably tried to find work as a basketball ref or something hourly, but if it wasn't there it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I doubt a high proportion of upcoming gap-year takers come from a place where they or their family will be struggling mightily for income and plan to work during the gap. 

1 hour ago, Instinctive said:

I mean if it looked like my freshman year was going to be online, I'd have taken a gap year, stayed at home with my parents, and played some serious video games. Probably tried to find work as a basketball ref or something hourly, but if it wasn't there it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I doubt a high proportion of upcoming gap-year takers come from a place where they or their family will be struggling mightily for income and plan to work during the gap. 

1) I seriously hope we're not looking at an entire freshman year on-line.  2) If my son tries to pull the gap year idea to stay home and play video games, he has another thing coming. 3) You're a super high achiever - I can't imagine that you would have actually taken this approach.

Edited by bigbottom

14 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

1) I seriously hope we're not looking at an entire freshman year on-line.  2) If my son tries to pull the gap year idea to stay home and play video games, he has another thing coming. 3) You're a super high achiever - I can't imagine that you would have actually taken this approach.

I said something to my son yesterday about hoping there’s no problem with starting in the Fall. He pretty much shut me down and said don’t even say something like that. I think he’ll be fine but he certainly isn’t happy about being home. I think he and his friends would be crushed to not start back in the Fall. At least the colleges have their act together a bit more than HS/MS. My youngest is getting any work offered done, my freshman is like pulling teeth since he knows nothing is required or graded. Two high achievers, one who I hope marries rich! Good kid and smart but just not into school other than sports and girls.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I said something to my son yesterday about hoping there’s no problem with starting in the Fall. He pretty much shut me down and said don’t even say something like that. I think he’ll be fine but he certainly isn’t happy about being home. I think he and his friends would be crushed to not start back in the Fall. At least the colleges have their act together a bit more than HS/MS. My youngest is getting any work offered done, my freshman is like pulling teeth since he knows nothing is required or graded. Two high achievers, one who I hope marries rich! Good kid and smart but just not into school other than sports and girls.

My high school senior son is in a weird place now. Initially, they just assigned work on-line and he did it "whenever." He would wake up at noon, play video games all day, start his homework at 11 at night, watch TV after, and crash at about 4 AM. He's not in a great place (peeved his senior year is getting flushed down the toilet) and we tried to get him to take school a little more seriously. The problem was he was getting 100 on all his assignments and his teachers were singling him out for doing exemplary work, best out of multiple classes. Except he is a walking zombie and looks like he should be on The Walking Dead. Now they started having classes on Zoom, so he has to get up at a normal school time and act like he is paying attention. Hard to knock a kid that is still getting good grades, but his affect, attitude, and mental health are in need of an adjustment.

I'm interested to see what colleges have planned (if they have plans) to try to make up for admitted student visits during the next month. Of the schools he got in, two of my son's top 3 choices are ones where we didn't do official visits.  I don't know what kinds of things they could do with limited student and staff presence, but it is certainly an opportunity to get creative and distinguish themselves.

24 minutes ago, jhib said:

I'm interested to see what colleges have planned (if they have plans) to try to make up for admitted student visits during the next month. Of the schools he got in, two of my son's top 3 choices are ones where we didn't do official visits.  I don't know what kinds of things they could do with limited student and staff presence, but it is certainly an opportunity to get creative and distinguish themselves.

A lot of schools are doing virtual tours and having on-line webinar type sessions.  I know my son is signed up for two on-line events in the next week for his chosen school.

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

My high school senior son is in a weird place now. Initially, they just assigned work on-line and he did it "whenever." He would wake up at noon, play video games all day, start his homework at 11 at night, watch TV after, and crash at about 4 AM. He's not in a great place (peeved his senior year is getting flushed down the toilet) and we tried to get him to take school a little more seriously. The problem was he was getting 100 on all his assignments and his teachers were singling him out for doing exemplary work, best out of multiple classes. Except he is a walking zombie and looks like he should be on The Walking Dead. Now they started having classes on Zoom, so he has to get up at a normal school time and act like he is paying attention. Hard to knock a kid that is still getting good grades, but his affect, attitude, and mental health are in need of an adjustment.

Yeah, my son's school only missed one day of classes (the Monday following spring break) and has since been on a set schedule of online classes that mirror the bell schedule.  Sometimes they just check in and do roll call and then assign work for the kids to do independently, but having to get up and follow a regular schedule, even from home, has been a really good thing.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:26 PM, Nigel said:

My next kid in the pipe a sophomore in HS who aspires to be a college lax player, so he's hoping his college options/decision are sorted out next year. Things typically heat up recruiting-wise on or after Sept 1 of Jr year when college coaches are allowed to start contacting kids but its possible his class won't be well-scouted. Very doubtful there will be any HS season, and I'd have to think the summer club season is also in jeopardy. It will really throw a wrench into the whole process, as college staffs really don't start looking at kids in earnest until their sophomore year, mostly at summer club tournaments. It will all work itself out, just another one of thousands ways corona is screwing #### up.

One of mine is a freshman lax player and I have felt terribly for the seniors, but also the juniors as this is their prime time to be seen?  Which state are you all out of?

56 minutes ago, Sweet Love said:

One of mine is a freshman lax player and I have felt terribly for the seniors, but also the juniors as this is their prime time to be seen?  Which state are you all out of?

prep school in MA. Yes, sucks hard for Juniors who haven't committed, and of course seniors missing their last season. This was the year for my kid's team too. Oh well, we've all got worse problems.

In a surprise move my son choose Drake over UW Madison.  We live 15 min from UW Madison campus and that's been his dream school for a few years.  However Drake offered enough in scholarships whereas the tuition/room and board is within $1,500 annually so essentially the same.  Both are highly ranked Actuarial Science schools with ultimately the direct admin to Drake business school and smaller class sizes won out.  I was really hoping for UW but it's his choice and ultimately it's probably the best decision for him. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Pipes said:

In a surprise move my son choose Drake over UW Madison.  We live 15 min from UW Madison campus and that's been his dream school for a few years.  However Drake offered enough in scholarships whereas the tuition/room and board is within $1,500 annually so essentially the same.  Both are highly ranked Actuarial Science schools with ultimately the direct admin to Drake business school and smaller class sizes won out.  I was really hoping for UW but it's his choice and ultimately it's probably the best decision for him. 

Congrats, and good on you for letting him choose his own path. :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pipes said:

Congratulations!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pipes said:

:clap:

• Like 1

AP Exam schedule has been released  May 11 - May 22:

11th - Physics C Mech; Physics C EM; US Gov

12th - Latin; Calculus AB and BC; Human Geography

13th - Physics 2; English Literature; Euro History

14th - Spanish Literature; Chemistry; Physics 1

15th - Art History; US History; Computer Science A

18th - Chinese; Biology; Environmental Science

19th - Music Theory; Psychology; Japanese; Italian

20th - German; English Language and Comp; Microeconomics

21st - French; World History; Macroeconomics

22nd - Comparative Government; Statistics; Spanish Language

• Like 3

On 3/30/2020 at 8:47 PM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Hopefully the economy is at a point where it can support jobs for young people out of high school. Right now, economic pressure is forcing the closure of many jobs, as opposed to creating new opportunity.

Bingo.  Many kids chose to stay in school and get advanced degrees/certificates/debt during the last recession because there weren't any jobs.  I doubt all the service industry will be back by then.  Besides, how often do you see an under 30 delivery or Uber driver these days?  

Son finally made his pick last night.  Wasn't exactly the exciting decision I was hoping for.  He was down to two private schools, and one public school.  We didn't get much for aid, so money was a big factor.  After supper, I said to him "we need to make a decision soon" and he said "OK, I'll just got to the public school.  It's cheap and I really don't care."

He likes school the least of my three kids, so he's "done with school" in his words.  But, he knows he needs to get a degree to do what he wants.  I just fear he'll go through the motions and not take advantage of the situation and enjoy the experience.  At least he took the cheapest option if he does end up not putting himself into the experience. :shrug:

35 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Son finally made his pick last night.  Wasn't exactly the exciting decision I was hoping for.  He was down to two private schools, and one public school.  We didn't get much for aid, so money was a big factor.  After supper, I said to him "we need to make a decision soon" and he said "OK, I'll just got to the public school.  It's cheap and I really don't care."

He likes school the least of my three kids, so he's "done with school" in his words.  But, he knows he needs to get a degree to do what he wants.  I just fear he'll go through the motions and not take advantage of the situation and enjoy the experience.  At least he took the cheapest option if he does end up not putting himself into the experience. :shrug:

Where did he choose and how close is it to your home? 

1 hour ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Where did he choose and how close is it to your home? 

His final choice was UW-River Falls.  It is about a half hour from where we live.  While he could commute, we think it is important he get submersed into college life, so he will be living on campus.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Link

• Laughing 1

3 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

His final choice was UW-River Falls.  It is about a half hour from where we live.  While he could commute, we think it is important he get submersed into college life, so he will be living on campus.

I did a Google image search of your avatar and was taken to a Penn State link that lists notable PSU alumni. Third on the list was Jerry Sandusky. :X 

41 minutes ago, Fear The Turtle said:

I did a Google image search of your avatar and was taken to a Penn State link that lists notable PSU alumni. Third on the list was Jerry Sandusky. :X 

Ya, its DJ Dozier kneeling in the end zone.  I'm a former big time PSU fan (jumped on the bandwagon leading up to the Fiesta Bowl win over Miami).  Got rid of all my stuff post Sandusky.  My avatar is the last remnant of that time.

• Like 1

U of California system, Pomona, Vassar are some of the latest schools to go test optional for at least the next 1-3 years

Who knows what the world will be like 6 months from now but I am going to push my kid so hard to apply ED to a match school. It’s going to be a different world and I think schools will be thrilled to lock in as many qualified full-pay students as possible 

• Like 2

We are now wondering if we should consider a gap year based on COVID and when people will permanently return to everyday life.  I am sure schools will start on time, but it would not surprise me at all if they had a smaller outbreak during the beginning of the semester and sent everyone home again.  It is one thing if you are in the middle of school, but given she is starting in September, we have the luxury of delaying it a year.  Is anyone else with a rising freshman having these conversations?

44 minutes ago, Sweet Love said:

We are now wondering if we should consider a gap year based on COVID and when people will permanently return to everyday life.  I am sure schools will start on time, but it would not surprise me at all if they had a smaller outbreak during the beginning of the semester and sent everyone home again.  It is one thing if you are in the middle of school, but given she is starting in September, we have the luxury of delaying it a year.  Is anyone else with a rising freshman having these conversations?

The thought of it is a huge bummer.  Son is planning on starting in the Fall and hopefully won't be doing it via remote learning from home.

Wow Williams and Pomona test optional next fall

Starting to wonder, though, if they’re still gonna look unfavorably on prep school kids (like mine) who don’t test. Might be an expectation for more “privileged” kids to test anyway

1 hour ago, The_Man said:

Wow Williams and Pomona test optional next fall

Starting to wonder, though, if they’re still gonna look unfavorably on prep school kids (like mine) who don’t test. Might be an expectation for more “privileged” kids to test anyway

I tend to agree with this, but I think it depends on your individual situation. My son has strong grades in a good school, but has limited ECs, (swim plus not much). He is planning on studying CS.

I think he needs to submit a score. Your situation could be very different.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, The_Man said:

Who knows what the world will be like 6 months from now but I am going to push my kid so hard to apply ED to a match school. It’s going to be a different world and I think schools will be thrilled to lock in as many qualified full-pay students as possible 

I’m doing the same. I tell him that eventually he will have a top school. Figure it out by the fall and let’s go for it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whyatt said:

I’m doing the same. I tell him that eventually he will have a top school. Figure it out by the fall and let’s go for it. 

Unless his top school doesn’t do ED. That’s what happened with my son. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sweet Love said:

This is going to be a mess. My daughter is a junior now and we are wondering how it will effect her college choices. Assuming there will be a large group of students deferring.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 4:40 PM, El Floppo said:

Good luck everybody! 

Deferrals at least aren't rejections.../silver lining.

Our nephew is waiting to hear ED from MIT today (probably bad news or we'd have heard from them) ...the wife asked if that eliminates him from all MIT (or wherever) acceptance right then and there, or if you're rejected ED are you still in the pool for regular?

In at John Hopkins, wait list at Columbia (legacy). Not bad for the kid.

But this kid seemed to us on the outside a genius, slam dunk top school acceptance. Top grades at a top DC private school, 1540 sat. But in retrospect not a lot outside of that...on crew team, but never seemed that interested other than just being a high achieving kid wanting to do well. Didn't seem a passion.

Told our 12yo son to get busy curing cancer or he won't be going to college.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

But this kid seemed to us on the outside a genius, slam dunk top school acceptance. Top grades at a top DC private school, 1540 sat. But in retrospect not a lot outside of that...on crew team, but never seemed that interested other than just being a high achieving kid wanting to do well. Didn't seem a passion.

Hey, JHU is great - and our rep is only going to get better once we cure the coronavirus. I used to be a little down on the undergrad experience, but I think it's really gotten pretty good of late. Definitely still a school where work comes first (like Chicago or William & Mary) but the kind of kid that ends up here seems to enjoy and thrive in that kind of environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Hey, JHU is great - and our rep is only going to get better once we cure the coronavirus. I used to be a little down on the undergrad experience, but I think it's really gotten pretty good of late. Definitely still a school where work comes first (like Chicago or William & Mary) but the kind of kid that ends up here seems to enjoy and thrive in that kind of environment.

But Baltimore, bro.  Baltimore.

• Thinking 1

On 4/6/2020 at 10:48 PM, El Floppo said:

Wow, Johns Hopkins. That is amazing!  Congratulations!

Ugh. For those following along, my son was waiting on decisions from Boston schools. He got waitlisted at BU and BC and accepted at Bentley but with very little FA. 

That should have made his decision pretty straight forward. Months ago he got picked for the highest level scholarship at our state school (UNH). With that, he would get free tuition.

i just overheard him on a phone call telling his friend he has no interest in going there and if push came to shove he would refuse to go. He explained to his friend there is nothing about the school that appeals to him and he really doesn’t want to go there. (He is unaware I heard the backend of his conversation.)

He would prefer to go other places, but they would end up costing an extra $125-150K to go there in total. This is going to be a struggle to sort through. 

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

Ugh. For those following along, my son was waiting on decisions from Boston schools. He got waitlisted at BU and BC and accepted at Bentley but with very little FA. 

That should have made his decision pretty straight forward. Months ago he got picked for the highest level scholarship at our state school (UNH). With that, he would get free tuition.

i just overheard him on a phone call telling his friend he has no interest in going there and if push came to shove he would refuse to go. He explained to his friend there is nothing about the school that appeals to him and he really doesn’t want to go there. (He is unaware I heard the backend of his conversation.)

He would prefer to go other places, but they would end up costing an extra $125-150K to go there in total. This is going to be a struggle to sort through. 

It's a tough spot for sure, even more so now than a month ago. Does your son appreciate that as a small business owner your financial stability is a huge concern for you? I think you need to have an adult conversation with him about finances. Maybe suggest he go to UNH (a very good school btw, academically and socially) for a year and if he's truly unhappy then look to transfer. By that time, if it comes to that, you can redo your financial aid app and perhaps do better. But more likely he'll end up loving it where he is, as most kids do, and not want to leave.

Or tell him he has to take out a crapload of loans.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

There are a lot of other great universities in the world. What does he want to study? Is he looking to go to a city school?

23 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

You story is one that resonates with many families across the country.

For people following this thread with younger kids, bake the finances into all conversations you have about going to college.  Most kids will understand if programmed early enough that the finances are as important as the child's preferences. 

Of the schools he was accepted to, what is his top choice?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Nigel said:

It's a tough spot for sure, even more so now than a month ago. Does your son appreciate that as a small business owner your financial stability is a huge concern for you? I think you need to have an adult conversation with him about finances. Maybe suggest he go to UNH (a very good school btw, academically and socially) for a year and if he's truly unhappy then look to transfer. By that time, if it comes to that, you can redo your financial aid app and perhaps do better. But more likely he'll end up loving it where he is, as most kids do, and not want to leave.

Or tell him he has to take out a crapload of loans.

The problem with the threat of the loans is that we as adults know how bad that is to be burdened with as you try and start your life as an adult.  Unfortunately, almost no kid is going to understand it well enough to change his mind about where he wants to go to school.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

The problem with the threat of the loans is that we as adults know how bad that is to be burdened with as you try and start your life as an adult.  Unfortunately, almost no kid is going to understand it well enough to change his mind about where he wants to go to school.

True enough. Hopefully a big-boy conversation about how much it would financially strap the family to go anywhere but UNH, for at least a year, will awaken him.