What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (3 Viewers)

My kids are convinced that neither will start their fall semester on campus. 

My one daughter is probably doing a road trip to Louisville this weekend to pack up some of her clothes.  She finished her last exam this morning and while she doesn't "need" all her clothes at this time, the female instinct is killing her not having her full arsenal of clothes and shoes at her disposal.  Thankfully her current lease runs through July. 

My other daughters belongings are all still in Alabama.  No communication at all as to when we'll have to move out. 

My kids are convinced that neither will start their fall semester on campus. 

My one daughter is probably doing a road trip to Louisville this weekend to pack up some of her clothes.  She finished her last exam this morning and while she doesn't "need" all her clothes at this time, the female instinct is killing her not having her full arsenal of clothes and shoes at her disposal.  Thankfully her current lease runs through July. 

My other daughters belongings are all still in Alabama.  No communication at all as to when we'll have to move out. 
:lmao:   Several weeks ago, my daughter and I did the road trip down to NC because "Dad, I haven't worn a dress in over three weeks!"

Funny story from that weekend: we were loading up our car with her stuff and she met a sorority sister who also happens to be renting in the same apartment complex. This girl is staying in the apartment because it's safer than her home in NYC. She had just begun living together with her boyfriend and she had yet to do a BM while he was in the apartment. Everyday, on the pretense of a mail run, she would go down and use the complex's public bathroom. My daughter and I were back in our apartment when she received a desperate phone call from the girl frantically explaining that the complex had locked the bathroom due to Covid-19 and could she please use my daughter's bathroom. My daughter quickly assented and a crisis was averted. Sisterhood. 

Our high school is staying with online learning (which we knew was coming). They dumped April vacation and recalculated the school year into total hours instead of days, which will shorten the school year to the end of May. The bigger news is they instituted pass / fail grading. I'm not sure how there are going to handle second semester grades, with one quarter a letter grade and another quarter a P/F. I would guess that means second semester grades will also be notated as pass / fail?

If all classes end up being pass / fail, any guesses how that impacts AP courses? I would guess that colleges only care what kids get on AP exams . . . or would only getting a grade of PASS mean universities would not grant college credit even with a high AP exam score? Our son also has two other college level business courses that he is taking (we had to pay for him to get college credit). Thoughts on if those would still count as official college courses with just PASS for the course?

Then the other issue for the future is they are already making potential plans for Fall semester to continue online learning (K-12). Our kids will all have been out of the public school system by then, but that sets up kids looking at colleges down the road as having an entire year (split across two school years) on their transcripts as pass / fail. Where that would impact our son is the state university system would be adapting the same model . . . meaning that he would be stuck being home for almost 9 months. (The state government in NH is showing no signs of even thinking about easing restrictions and there has been some early discussions about keeping the status quo for 4-5 more months and even until the end of the calendar year).

My son isn't really thrilled by the decision to go pass / fail. They didn't give kids the option to pick one or the other . . . they just did it. He has A+'s in all of his classes. He proclaimed he is done doing anymore school work because it would be impossible for him to fail a class given his performance up to this point. I doubt he would actually do that, but he makes a good point that doing more work is pretty pointless if the only goal is to pass the class.

Unfortunately, he's backing out of some AP tests because they covered next to nothing in his classes the past month. He is bailing on AP Spanish because they haven't had any Zoom sessions with the instructor, only some simple emailed assignments once in awhile. He was supposed to take both AP Calculus exams but will only take the easier of the two because the teacher also is not available for one-on-one instruction and they aren't doing Zoom meetings either. Basically, multiple teachers are still drawing full pay but have been only emailing out a couple of throwaway assignments each week and aren't do any active teaching.

I think your kid has learned a valuable lesson to stop trying so hard.
I don't particularly think he is trying all that hard at the moment . . . in fact, he isn't trying very hard at all. They just aren't giving them much to do. He can't go anywhere, so he's been sleeping until noon. He'll play video games for 8 hours followed by watching TV for the next 8 hours. One day a week he does all his homework (which has usually been a worksheet or an essay). For English, they had them pick a book to read and write a book report on if they liked it. Because every household situation is different, assignments come with no real due dates. And if there are, kids automatically get an extra two weeks. If they still can't get something done, they can ask and get another two week extension automatically. It's like Club Med. If it's nice weather, he'll go for a jog, but that's been about twice a week. That's his week in a nutshell. I wouldn't exactly call that "taxing."

He only wanted his grades to count because he was trying to get into the Top 10 in class rank in his graduating class. After last semester, he was #12. After 3rd quarter, his GPA got him to #10 (all based on weighted GPA). But I re-read the email they sent out. They are not counting second semester grades at all and all student GPA's will revert back to after first semester. So he ends up at #12. Certainly life will go on . . . he just feels he got slighted. Eight, 10, 12 . . . what's the difference. He did very well. Time to move on.

Still more interested if anyone has intel on what colleges will do for AP or college courses taken in HS that only get a PASS as a grade. Will they count those as college credit?

I don't particularly think he is trying all that hard at the moment . . . in fact, he isn't trying very hard at all. They just aren't giving them much to do. He can't go anywhere, so he's been sleeping until noon. He'll play video games for 8 hours followed by watching TV for the next 8 hours. One day a week he does all his homework (which has usually been a worksheet or an essay). For English, they had them pick a book to read and write a book report on if they liked it. Because every household situation is different, assignments come with no real due dates. And if there are, kids automatically get an extra two weeks. If they still can't get something done, they can ask and get another two week extension automatically. It's like Club Med. If it's nice weather, he'll go for a jog, but that's been about twice a week. That's his week in a nutshell. I wouldn't exactly call that "taxing."

He only wanted his grades to count because he was trying to get into the Top 10 in class rank in his graduating class. After last semester, he was #12. After 3rd quarter, his GPA got him to #10 (all based on weighted GPA). But I re-read the email they sent out. They are not counting second semester grades at all and all student GPA's will revert back to after first semester. So he ends up at #12. Certainly life will go on . . . he just feels he got slighted. Eight, 10, 12 . . . what's the difference. He did very well. Time to move on.

Still more interested if anyone has intel on what colleges will do for AP or college courses taken in HS that only get a PASS as a grade. Will they count those as college credit?
Yeah, your kid and my kids seem to be on just about the same routine these days.  My kid was happy about the 4th quarter pass/fail because of some subpar 3rd quarter grades.  I don't think they've officially announced here how semester grades will be reported on transcripts, but seems like it has to be pass/fail.

If all classes end up being pass / fail, any guesses how that impacts AP courses? I would guess that colleges only care what kids get on AP exams . . . or would only getting a grade of PASS mean universities would not grant college credit even with a high AP exam score? Our son also has two other college level business courses that he is taking (we had to pay for him to get college credit). Thoughts on if those would still count as official college courses with just PASS for the course?
As far as I am aware, it’s the AP test score that is what determines the award of credit. I wouldn’t think that a “pass” grade under these circumstances would have an effect. That said, I wonder if some schools may be more stringent about awarding credit for AP exams taken this year given that the tests are being shortened to 45 minutes taken on line. 

He was supposed to take both AP Calculus exams but will only take the easier of the two because the teacher also is not available for one-on-one instruction and they aren't doing Zoom meetings either.
You are not permitted to take both AP Calculus exams in the same year. My guess is that he was signed up for the BC exam and is choosing to take the AB exam instead. 

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:   Several weeks ago, my daughter and I did the road trip down to NC because "Dad, I haven't worn a dress in over three weeks!"

Funny story from that weekend: we were loading up our car with her stuff and she met a sorority sister who also happens to be renting in the same apartment complex. This girl is staying in the apartment because it's safer than her home in NYC. She had just begun living together with her boyfriend and she had yet to do a BM while he was in the apartment. Everyday, on the pretense of a mail run, she would go down and use the complex's public bathroom. My daughter and I were back in our apartment when she received a desperate phone call from the girl frantically explaining that the complex had locked the bathroom due to Covid-19 and could she please use my daughter's bathroom. My daughter quickly assented and a crisis was averted. Sisterhood. 
🤣  So much easier being a guy.  I wish her friend the best of luck for the remainder of summer. 

You are not permitted to take both AP Calculus exams in the same year. My guess is that he was signed up for the BC exam and is choosing to take the AB exam instead. 
Yes, this is what I meant. For some reason I thought kids took both the AB and BC exams (as opposed to one or the other).

I don't know what state you're in, but that sounds like a joke. Not at all how it is here in Minnesota with my high schooler.

I don't know what state you're in, but that sounds like a joke. Not at all how it is here in Minnesota with my high schooler.
For my kid's school (private), they are following the normal bell schedule with the kids checking in remotely at the beginning of every class for a lecture, to get assignments, or both.  No pass/fail option for any class.  Everyone is getting real grades, and there is plenty of homework and testing.  In fact, because everything happened just before Spring Break, the students only missed one day of school before commencing with on-line classes.  Because of the disruption of remote learning though, a substantial number of students are struggling (or underperforming), so their solution has been to assign additional extra credit work, rather than adopt a pass/fail structure.

For my kid's school (private), they are following the normal bell schedule with the kids checking in remotely at the beginning of every class for a lecture, to get assignments, or both.  No pass/fail option for any class.  Everyone is getting real grades, and there is plenty of homework and testing.  In fact, because everything happened just before Spring Break, the students only missed one day of school before commencing with on-line classes.  Because of the disruption of remote learning though, a substantial number of students are struggling (or underperforming), so their solution has been to assign additional extra credit work, rather than adopt a pass/fail structure.
That's very similar to my son's public school experience.

wait... girls poop?

As far as I am aware, it’s the AP test score that is what determines the award of credit. I wouldn’t think that a “pass” grade under these circumstances would have an effect. That said, I wonder if some schools may be more stringent about awarding credit for AP exams taken this year given that the tests are being shortened to 45 minutes taken on line. 
Correct, schools make their decision about credit according to the test scores, not class grades.  You don't need to even take a class...just sign up and pay for a test.  According to the College Board, universities will honor AP test scores in the same manner as they have in the past.  We will see if this is what comes to pass, but the leadership of the College Board is claiming this is so.

The bigger news is they instituted pass / fail grading. I'm not sure how there are going to handle second semester grades, with one quarter a letter grade and another quarter a P/F. I would guess that means second semester grades will also be notated as pass / fail?
Ask your administrator.  They should have already had discussions and made decisions on this.  Our school is doing pass/fail for the 4th quarter, but giving letter grades for the semester.  Effectively, the semester grade will be the 3rd quarter letter grade, but a teacher has the discretion to nudge the grade up or down depending on 4th quarter work.  A kid sitting at a 78-79% can get it bumped to a B if the teacher feels it is warranted based on 4th quarter effort and quality.  Likewise, a kid sitting at 80% can get it bumped downward to a C if they are blowing off work or producing low quality.  The kid sitting at 75% is pretty much locked in barring something dramatic transpiring.    Our administration made it very clear to the faculty to "lower the bar" this 4th quarter, which sort of pisses me off.   My grade book basically has no letter grades in it.  I am recording things on a "non weighted" 2 point scale.  2 = completed satisfactorily; 1 = submitted but lacking quality; 0 = submitted but incomplete or with significant issues (i than include narrative note to explain what those issues were); Z = not submitted.  Then in the grade total column it says P or NP (Pass or No Pass) which I can toggle back and forth.  Nothing is being summed up.  If I get a string of poor work or assignments not submitted, I change the P to a NP and send an email to the student and parents.  That is usually enough to wake up junior to get a little more motivated, but I still have a couple NPs currently on the record.  I would love to see us never have grades, but it is unfortunately still the great motivator.

Galileo said:
Correct, schools make their decision about credit according to the test scores, not class grades.  You don't need to even take a class...just sign up and pay for a test.  According to the College Board, universities will honor AP test scores in the same manner as they have in the past.  We will see if this is what comes to pass, but the leadership of the College Board is claiming this is so.
Yeah, here was the answer given a week ago by the guy that heads up AP Testing for College Board:

Rick: How are colleges going to treat the scores? Will course credit be awarded this year? 

Trevor: We've spoken with hundreds of colleges—and they've consistently confirmed that they will continue to use AP scores as they have in the past. The big state systems that receive the largest number of AP scores—the University of California and Cal State systems and the University of Texas systems—are among dozens of state systems that have made public statements of support, while many elite private colleges ranging from USC to Vanderbilt, from NYU to Yale, have also confirmed their support. After all, for decades colleges have always accepted AP scores from shortened AP exams taken by students in emergency conditions. The only difference is that this year, virtually all AP students are in such conditions.

In at John Hopkins, wait list at Columbia (legacy). Not bad for the kid.

But this kid seemed to us on the outside a genius, slam dunk top school acceptance. Top grades at a top DC private school, 1540 sat. But in retrospect not a lot outside of that...on crew team, but never seemed that interested other than just being a high achieving kid wanting to do well. Didn't seem a passion.

Told our 12yo son to get busy curing cancer or he won't be going to college.
talking about my nephew still... will be "going" to Univ of Chicago in the fall with a partial merit scholarship.

I've been hearing from every single of my friends who can afford full tuition that their kids have been getting these partial merit scholarships, knocking price from 70 to 50 or something. has the feel of a store "price saver" showing something marked down that you know probably costs what the sale price now shows.

talking about my nephew still... will be "going" to Univ of Chicago in the fall with a partial merit scholarship.

I've been hearing from every single of my friends who can afford full tuition that their kids have been getting these partial merit scholarships, knocking price from 70 to 50 or something. has the feel of a store "price saver" showing something marked down that you know probably costs what the sale price now shows.
A lot of schools do this.  By jacking up the price and then lowering the real cost with aid, they can show the rankings how much money they give in aid.  It is a bit of a game.

Not much of a contribution to the purpose of the thread, but just filled out the official application for housing, meal plan sign up, and registering for registration (yes, apparently now you sign up for a time slot to register for your classes).  Starting to feel real and not looking forward to shipping off my senior in a few months (should that actually happen).

Friend of mine has a son who is a senior, applying for engineering programs.  The large in-state university has an engineering program that is competitive and tough to get into. He and most of his friends were rejected - admitted to the school in general if they wanted to pick another major, but not for engineering.  (All these kids have really good grades, lots of AP classes, high SATs but not off the charts.)

Several weeks ago, friend talked to admissions, asked about various options, asked if they ever change their minds on accepting students directly into engineering - they said no, once you are rejected, that's it, only option is to enroll in general studies and go through a process to try to transfer in, which most students who try do not achieve.

Earlier this week, kid got a letter - congratulations, we changed our minds, you're accepted into engineering!  He's already given his decision to a different school that accepted him off the bat into engineering, and isn't switching.  But, this gives me the indication the school is panicking a bit about how many students will enroll this fall.

This site lists all the colleges that have adopted test-optional policies: https://www.fairtest.org/university/optional

This list, in chronological order, shows the most recent schools to go test-optional (some are only for Fall 2021 admissions), including the entire UC system:  https://www.fairtest.org/sites/default/files/Optional-Growth-Chronology.pdf

Cornell Suspends SAT/ACT Requirements for Students Who Want to Apply Without Getting In

Citing cancellations resulting from the coronavirus pandemic, the Cornell Undergraduate Admissions Office assured applicants to the class of 2025 that they need not worry about standardized testing requirements, so long as they don’t mind getting rejected.

“We understand that, because of Covid-19, future rejected applicants are unable to take or retake the SAT or ACT, so we’ve suspended the testing requirements,” said Shawn Felton, Director of Undergraduate Admissions. “We don’t want students to fret over this unavoidable situation. As long as you don’t care about being accepted, feel free to apply without any test scores!”
;)   (hopefully obvious satirical site)

MTSU announced that they will be on campus in the fall, barring a change of circumstance.

Basically, what I predict is that of the schools that do have kids, some/many will have a kid pop positive, and they will first shut down certain dorms, and then will eventually have to send kids home.

After just watching virtual graduation for Ohio State, with an empty campus in an empty stadium, I speak for all of us in stating that this sux for anyone graduating. But congrats to all those graduating this year. Best of luck in the future. 

Well, the lawsuits are starting to ramp up. Class actions have been filed against a bunch of colleges seeking a refund of tuition and fees for the portion of spring semester when the students were forced to do classes remotely and were barred from campus. Just got done reading the class action suit filed in federal court against USC where my kid will start in the fall (named plaintiff is a graduate student seeking a masters in social work).  That’s going to make it a whole lot of fun in the fall when a large swath of students are suing the school (assuming it doesn’t immediately get dismissed). 

Well, the lawsuits are starting to ramp up. Class actions have been filed against a bunch of colleges seeking a refund of tuition and fees for the portion of spring semester when the students were forced to do classes remotely and were barred from campus. Just got done reading the class action suit filed in federal court against USC where my kid will start in the fall (named plaintiff is a graduate student seeking a masters in social work).  That’s going to make it a whole lot of fun in the fall when a large swath of students are suing the school (assuming it doesn’t immediately get dismissed). 
If they are suing for refund of tuition claiming the teaching and learning was not up to par, I presume the students will be ok not receiving any academic credits either?

Friend of mine has a son who is a senior, applying for engineering programs.  The large in-state university has an engineering program that is competitive and tough to get into. He and most of his friends were rejected - admitted to the school in general if they wanted to pick another major, but not for engineering.  (All these kids have really good grades, lots of AP classes, high SATs but not off the charts.)

Several weeks ago, friend talked to admissions, asked about various options, asked if they ever change their minds on accepting students directly into engineering - they said no, once you are rejected, that's it, only option is to enroll in general studies and go through a process to try to transfer in, which most students who try do not achieve.

Earlier this week, kid got a letter - congratulations, we changed our minds, you're accepted into engineering!  He's already given his decision to a different school that accepted him off the bat into engineering, and isn't switching.  But, this gives me the indication the school is panicking a bit about how many students will enroll this fall.
Nearly all universities (elites excluded) are looking at their freshman classes with something ranging from alarm to panic.  Engineering colleges in particular tend to have a disproportionate number of international students who are paying full-freight, which makes the upcoming fall look especially grim for universities that emphasize those fields.

Clemson refunded us what I’d expect to be refunded. Room costs and meal plan for the period my son was at home. I didn’t expect him to get refunded tuition since he finished all of his classes online. Maybe they’ll give us a little more but I’m good with what we got because that was the only thing I don’t think we should pay.

I’ll brag a bit as well, my son aced his organic chemistry exam and got another 4.0 in his spring semester. He doesn’t have a summer job, which sucks so we need to figure something out so he can build up his bank account. Not a lot of places hiring obviously and in some ways not sure I want to risk him working for minimum wage. Just need to get rid of the boredom somehow.

Clemson refunded us what I’d expect to be refunded. Room costs and meal plan for the period my son was at home.
Same for my daughter at Claremont Mckenna, and we're cool with that. I also think they have a pretty good shot of being back on campus in the fall, with the small class sizes and amount of open space/lack of congestion on campus. 

An aside about her: over the winter she wrote a proposal for and received a grant that would have funded a trip to Paris, London and Munich to attend some of the world's bigger sneaker shows over a three or four week span, and to write about them. At some point in high school she became obsessed with footwear - it's what she spent her money on, and she turned that interest into a pretty cool opportunity. On hold for now but apparently she can defer it a year. She also has a job lined up doing social media for a small L.A. swimwear company, which she'll be able to do from home. As independent and ambitious as she is I was certain once she left Boston for college in CA that we'd never again have her home for more than a week or two at a time, so I am loving this stretch of having her around. 

I’ll brag a bit as well, my son aced his organic chemistry exam and got another 4.0 in his spring semester. He doesn’t have a summer job, which sucks so we need to figure something out so he can build up his bank account. Not a lot of places hiring obviously and in some ways not sure I want to risk him working for minimum wage. Just need to get rid of the boredom somehow.
A 4.0 and aced OChem?  That is amazing! Serious congrats to your son!

Same for my daughter at Claremont Mckenna, and we're cool with that. I also think they have a pretty good shot of being back on campus in the fall, with the small class sizes and amount of open space/lack of congestion on campus. 

An aside about her: over the winter she wrote a proposal for and received a grant that would have funded a trip to Paris, London and Munich to attend some of the world's bigger sneaker shows over a three or four week span, and to write about them. At some point in high school she became obsessed with footwear - it's what she spent her money on, and she turned that interest into a pretty cool opportunity. On hold for now but apparently she can defer it a year. She also has a job lined up doing social media for a small L.A. swimwear company, which she'll be able to do from home. As independent and ambitious as she is I was certain once she left Boston for college in CA that we'd never again have her home for more than a week or two at a time, so I am loving this stretch of having her around. 
Defer it a year - that sounds like an amazing opportunity!  I have a friend who is a serious sneaker nut - has a ton invested in his collection, which are displayed museum-style. Hope she’s enjoyed her time in Cali - Claremont McKenna is a phenomenal school. 

Apparently the online AP Physics exam was a semi-debacle with huge numbers of people unable to submit their answers. Most likely culprit is that the College Board omitted a / from the submission URL.

They are one of my least favorite organizations 

Apparently the online AP Physics exam was a semi-debacle with huge numbers of people unable to submit their answers. Most likely culprit is that the College Board omitted a / from the submission URL.

They are one of my least favorite organizations 
What a cluster. My son is currently taking the second half of the AP Physics C exam (the only AP exam he has that is comprised of two separate 45-minute sessions), and he thankfully didn’t have any problems submitting the first half.

What a cluster. My son is currently taking the second half of the AP Physics C exam (the only AP exam he has that is comprised of two separate 45-minute sessions), and he thankfully didn’t have any problems submitting the first half.
My son had no trouble, but he said one of his classmates failed to submit a question...not sure of the reason, but if I was a betting man (I am) I would likely pin the blame on that kid, nothing system wide.  

BB, the reason that C exam is double is because they are viewed as 2 different courses.  My son took the Mechanics test.  Our school doesn't offer the Electricity and Magnetism course.  Many schools combine those courses and offer it together as a second year course.  We only offer the Physics C Mechanics, but spread it out over the year as a first year physics course (no prerequisite)

My daughter didn't have any issues either.  I do question how with a subject as broad as physics they can possibly make the test fair over such a short time frame, but I assume they were worried about rampant cheating if they made them any longer.

My daughter didn't have any issues either.  I do question how with a subject as broad as physics they can possibly make the test fair over such a short time frame, but I assume they were worried about rampant cheating if they made them any longer.
Yeah, it would be difficult to cheat with the short time frame.  My son felt pressed for time.  There were also different versions of the test out there.  I know my son and one of his buddies had different tests.

Here is the Tweet from The head of the AP Program...

https://twitter.com/AP_Trevor/status/1259924214930378758
Yeah, a lot of suspicion from responders that "only" 1,000 kids (2% of the 50K who took it) had trouble submitting their response. He had an earlier Tweet that said that was a lower error rate than they had anticipated - but he deleted that after people got on him for admitting that they expected more than 1,000 kids to have problems 

Yeah, it would be difficult to cheat with the short time frame.  My son felt pressed for time.  There were also different versions of the test out there.  I know my son and one of his buddies had different tests.
Heard the same thing from my daughter on the multiple versions.  Would suck to get an area you struggle in and have a friend get something you would have aced, but I guess that's life.

Yeah, a lot of suspicion from responders that "only" 1,000 kids (2% of the 50K who took it) had trouble submitting their response. He had an earlier Tweet that said that was a lower error rate than they had anticipated - but he deleted that after people got on him for admitting that they expected more than 1,000 kids to have problems 
I am somewhat monitoring my various AP Physics teacher networks...hard to get a handle as there are so many teachers that I can only get a relatively small sample size from people reporting.  Many of those teachers have only had contact with only a few of their students at this point.  Hard to get a handle on the scope of the issues.  AP Government is going now.  I am sure there are more taking that test than AP Physics

Heard the same thing from my daughter on the multiple versions.  Would suck to get an area you struggle in and have a friend get something you would have aced, but I guess that's life.
This isn't unusual.  They do this under normal testing conditions as well.

My kid has five AP exams scheduled over the next two weeks hopefully it goes smoothly.  First one is tomorrow (calculus).
Ditto...my junior son has 2 today.  Yeah Opening day glitches!!  Physics C and Government.  Calculus tomorrow.  Chemistry on Thursday and Language next week.  5 in all.  My sophomore has US History on Friday and Biology on Monday.

Ditto...my junior son has 2 today.  Yeah Opening day glitches!!  Physics C and Government.  Calculus tomorrow.  Chemistry on Thursday and Language next week.  5 in all.
Gees, buncha brainiac kids in here!  My kid has 4 as a senior. I’m a little conflicted on Calculus BC, because if he gets a 5, he tests out of two calculus classes that are required as part of his engineering curriculum (a 4 gets you out of one semester).  I’m thinking he may be better off taking those Calc intro classes in college, as opposed to jumping ahead, or taking an entire year off from math as a freshman. So I’m sorta hoping he blows it. 

Gees, buncha brainiac kids in here!  My kid has 4 as a senior. I’m a little conflicted on Calculus BC, because if he gets a 5, he tests out of two calculus classes that are required as part of his engineering curriculum (a 4 gets you out of one semester).  I’m thinking he may be better off taking those Calc intro classes in college, as opposed to jumping ahead, or taking an entire year off from math as a freshman. So I’m sorta hoping he blows it. 
The advisors in Biology/Chemistry/Genetics mentioned you all the folks in the orientation that it’s OK to retake things and that sometimes they suggest it. My son did the math credit and chemistry but retook 1 of the 2 freshman biology courses because he took that his Junior year. They mentioned that one course was more advanced than the AP course. I told him not big deal on not using one of the credits. He got all As so I think what he chose to do was fine. He was worried about taking all the hard sophomore level classes (like Organic Chem) his first semester. I think kids push a bit too hard sometimes and I’ve seen kids when I went to school (one of the Ivies) not be able to handle social life and school and fail out. My cousin went to MIT and couldn’t handle it. Smart kids too. It should be fun and not crazy hard.

stbugs said:
The advisors in Biology/Chemistry/Genetics mentioned you all the folks in the orientation that it’s OK to retake things and that sometimes they suggest it. My son did the math credit and chemistry but retook 1 of the 2 freshman biology courses because he took that his Junior year. They mentioned that one course was more advanced than the AP course. I told him not big deal on not using one of the credits. He got all As so I think what he chose to do was fine. He was worried about taking all the hard sophomore level classes (like Organic Chem) his first semester. I think kids push a bit too hard sometimes and I’ve seen kids when I went to school (one of the Ivies) not be able to handle social life and school and fail out. My cousin went to MIT and couldn’t handle it. Smart kids too. It should be fun and not crazy hard.
Oh, I've had the conversation with him about taking the two Calc semesters even if he tests out of them.  He was pretty adamant that he wasn't going to take classes he doesn't need to take as he is comfortable with the material.

Users who are viewing this thread