What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (1 Viewer)

Nailed it. And thanks... he'll be fine whatever happens and wherever he goes. I just want him to have some success with this to feel good about what was a long, difficult process.

A lot of public school parents in nyc are by most standards, wealthy. Own their home, cars, second home, etc. They could afford to send their kids to private but don't because these top public schools have performed quite well. I've talked to too many of these parents who are bailing for privates and parochial...or the suburbs.

Floppinho is an amazing student with near 100s across the board in grades and tests. More importantly he's an eager student- every teacher he's ever had loves his attitude, work ethic and contributions in class. He relishes teacher interaction and interviews well (he's done a lot of acting, which helps). He's a great musician, but I wouldn't call him a virtuouso (yet...hes only been at mallet instruments since middle school, not K) compared to some of the other kids at his school who are also applying to privates who are jaw-droppingly amazing musicians.

I genuinely think his fatal flaw is his parents. 
meh

Just reading about all the times you gush about what an amazing kid he is enough for me to know he has amazing parents who have given him room to grow, and thrive.  I think he will be fine wherever he ends up - but I am wishing you and Flopinho the best!

meh

Just reading about all the times you gush about what an amazing kid he is enough for me to know he has amazing parents who have given him room to grow, and thrive.  I think he will be fine wherever he ends up - but I am wishing you and Flopinho the best!
Ah... Thanks, gb.

That came across wrong, I think. We've done the best we can with him- he's been his own amazing kid since day one without our help, but we've worked hard to support and push him. I'm proud of my wife for the work she's done with both kids, and I'm content with what I've done as well.

But in the world of nyc private schools, we're broke and not cool or interesting or famous.  I have no doubt he would be amongst their top students, but we would be amongst their least providing- financial or brand- families. Other than a great kid, my wife and I offer them next to nothing compared to the competition.

4th choice out of 5 (a universally lower ranked school relative to the others) is the first response- wait-list.
This was actually 5th out of 6. 

6th out 6 just out him on the wait list as well.

4th accepted him! But with financial aid package twice the amount we figured we could do. Will contact if needed to haggle.

Top 3 all announce at 4pm. [Biting nails]

ETA...these three are all top tier for him...loves each of them. He likes the one he got into, but not sure if it's as good a fit for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted to his 2nd choice!

With an even better aid package. I'm actually in tears here...I can't imagine what you guys are going through with college.

This school has taken a lot of heat in the last year for being overly woke. Families have been bailing, so they might feel the night to restock.

ETA...waiting on 1a. 

I got into a big fight with my wife about your situation, Floppo.  It ended with me saying, "my commitment to social justice and change only goes so far."

Thanks for that... 🙃

But for serious, I'm happy for your family and that your son will have great opportunities for success. 

I got into a big fight with my wife about your situation, Floppo.  It ended with me saying, "my commitment to social justice and change only goes so far."

Thanks for that... 🙃

But for serious, I'm happy for your family and that your son will have great opportunities for success. 
:confused:

not following...but always happy to cause a fight!

A little off topic here, but is anyone able to help me convey to my daughter how well she did in an applied math test?  Class average was 36 and she got 60.  I know there are a lot of variables, but what's the likely range of her mark after it's been curved?  She's suffering from depression and is looking for bad news where there isn't any.  😢

A little off topic here, but is anyone able to help me convey to my daughter how well she did in an applied math test?  Class average was 36 and she got 60.  I know there are a lot of variables, but what's the likely range of her mark after it's been curved?  She's suffering from depression and is looking for bad news where there isn't any.  😢
She did not do well - assuming this is on a 100 point scale.

Any number of unknowable reasons why.  It looks like most of her classmates did worse - but the focus should be on whether she is understanding the concepts being tested, not how she compares to other people who also did not understand the concept.

She did not do well - assuming this is on a 100 point scale.

Any number of unknowable reasons why.  It looks like most of her classmates did worse - but the focus should be on whether she is understanding the concepts being tested, not how she compares to other people who also did not understand the concept.
Come on.  What experience do you have here?  I have none other than hearing my friends who were in STEM complaining about results like this because the prof made the test entirely too hard--then you hear about the marks getting curved.  It's a big leap to assume the entire class of math majors wasn't prepared and did horribly on a test instead of the prof making a test that was way too hard or had way too much material to cover in the allotted time.  

Depends on the standard deviation and sample size.

n = 3, and even this result is not so good. 

n = 300 and STDEV = 8. that's much better.  Then she's 3 standard deviations better than the mean.

Come on.  What experience do you have here?  I have none other than hearing my friends who were in STEM complaining about results like this because the prof made the test entirely too hard--then you hear about the marks getting curved.  It's a big leap to assume the entire class of math majors wasn't prepared and did horribly on a test instead of the prof making a test that was way too hard or had way too much material to cover in the allotted time.  
Can't answer your question, but I see this in my daughter's AP Calculus class.  She's had test scores as low as 41% and never higher than about 80%, but has a solid B/B+ in the class.

Depends on the standard deviation and sample size.

n = 3, and even this result is not so good. 

n = 300 and STDEV = 8. that's much better.  Then she's 3 standard deviations better than the mean.
I think there are over 100 kids in the class so I assume it looks something like the latter.  Maybe a higher SD.

Aid package matches 1b. 

I'm home. We're a collective :pickle:   :cry:   :pickle:
Congrats.  I am happy for you and your family, but forgive me when I say that is one F'd up system.  The whole process you have been documenting here seems so strange to me.

A couple thoughts:

1) Sounds to me like she did great compared to the rest of the class. As I understand it, most of the class getting their asses kicked by college level math classes is pretty normal (happened to my kid last semester and it’s challenging again this semester).

2) Regarding her depression, I’m not sure that convincing her that she should view her test grade as good news rather than bad news is necessarily the best approach. Look, you’re super successful and your daughter is obviously exceptional, so take this in the spirit that it is offered. I think trying to protect our kids from setbacks or “bad news” is often counterproductive and can even exacerbate depression issues.  This is particularly the case with high achievers. If they are used to consistent academic success, they will of course be affected emotionally when their performance doesn’t match how they see themselves (e.g., the math whiz who aces math tests).  But learning how to deal with adversity will only help them in the long run in terms of their ability to cope and achieve. I’m not sure that trying to convince her that she did well because she outscored the rest of the class (even if true) is the most productive approach. 

I was a great physics student in high school, everything made sense and it was totally natural.  One of the highest grades in the class. 

First semester of college, had to re-take Newtonian physics because the university didn't accept AP credit.  I got my ### handed to me.  I remember the professor putting up the low, high, mean, and STDEV of the midterms.  I remember thinking that I did OK on the midterm.  Nope, one standard deviation below the mean.  I did better on the final but still got a C+. First C I had ever gotten. I think I maybe got 1 more C+ in college, but that was a rude awakening.

I still graduated, went to grad school, and got a job.  Learning how to study and do well in school without the guard rails is tough. Especially when you can get as drunk or high as you want every night. 

Your daughter is smarter than I am and likely works harder, but you already knew that.  Sometimes they gotta figure that out too.

Hi friends...I wanted to thank all of you for your support and sharing the joy with me about Floppinhos HS acceptances.

The last chip fell today- he was accepted into the only boarding school he applied to (we had forgotten about it) with a similar aid package as the other schools...and according to my wife they sent a giant box with stuff "I wouldn't believe" (I already asked if it was a box o' cash).

I am so, so proud of this kid for the work he's put in and for the character (studious, engaged, joyful and goofy) he exhibited throughout it all...including his interviews which all went really well. I got the sense they liked a kid who wasn't trying to give them the "right" answers, and was just trying to learn more about the schools while sharing who he genuinely was.

We are public school people. We went into this process only because of the uncertainty of NYC schools after a year of the administration tearing the system apart to try to fix genuine inequities, but without any solutions provided.

We were thinking we'd apply to just one private school- the one that had always seemed the best fit for him as a mix of progressive and more established pedagogy- and just roll the dice figuring he either wouldn't get in or we wouldn't get the aid to afford it. We still have enough faith in the public schools to know he'd do fine at any number of them here...if he could still get in after all the changes removing merit-based screens. The wife decided to find a handful of other privates since we were going through the process.... only schools we all thought would be a good fit, not just all the "top" schools.

As it turns out, the first one we were going to apply to as the best fit is the one we pulled the trigger on- he accepted admission yesterday. The admissions head called my wife within a minute of us sending in the paperwork expressing her joy (and relayed to the rest of her team) that floppinho was coming- she said knew in the middle of his interview that he was a perfect kid for the school. And not for nothing, they offered a lot more aid than anybody else, making this an easy payment for us rather than the stretch it would have been for the others who came in with very generous and similar packages of their own.

Daughter got accepted to Loyola Marymount this week, 3 for 3 so far with 7 more outstanding.  Funny thing was she hadn't gotten an email or letter or anything, she just happened to log into the admissions portal and saw she was accepted, and the email was sent the next day.  Of course that means she's probably going to log into the portals for all of the others daily now.

Hi friends...I wanted to thank all of you for your support and sharing the joy with me about Floppinhos HS acceptances.

The last chip fell today- he was accepted into the only boarding school he applied to (we had forgotten about it) with a similar aid package as the other schools...and according to my wife they sent a giant box with stuff "I wouldn't believe" (I already asked if it was a box o' cash).

I am so, so proud of this kid for the work he's put in and for the character (studious, engaged, joyful and goofy) he exhibited throughout it all...including his interviews which all went really well. I got the sense they liked a kid who wasn't trying to give them the "right" answers, and was just trying to learn more about the schools while sharing who he genuinely was.

We are public school people. We went into this process only because of the uncertainty of NYC schools after a year of the administration tearing the system apart to try to fix genuine inequities, but without any solutions provided.

We were thinking we'd apply to just one private school- the one that had always seemed the best fit for him as a mix of progressive and more established pedagogy- and just roll the dice figuring he either wouldn't get in or we wouldn't get the aid to afford it. We still have enough faith in the public schools to know he'd do fine at any number of them here...if he could still get in after all the changes removing merit-based screens. The wife decided to find a handful of other privates since we were going through the process.... only schools we all thought would be a good fit, not just all the "top" schools.

As it turns out, the first one we were going to apply to as the best fit is the one we pulled the trigger on- he accepted admission yesterday. The admissions head called my wife within a minute of us sending in the paperwork expressing her joy (and relayed to the rest of her team) that floppinho was coming- she said knew in the middle of his interview that he was a perfect kid for the school. And not for nothing, they offered a lot more aid than anybody else, making this an easy payment for us rather than the stretch it would have been for the others who came in with very generous and similar packages of their own.
Man, this kid seems like a future world shaker! Glad you let us in on the ground floor. Keep us posted on his progress. Just imagine what he'd accomplish if his parents were "somebodies".  :P  

Congrats Floppinho!!!

We're supposed to hear today from three prep schools my daughter applied to. She's a freshman at our public HS, will repeat as a freshman at one of these three next year should she get in. Very competitive this year with a big spike in applications. Our high school has been a huge disappointment this year, 100% remote...a lost year for her. She's one of the youngest in her class (August b-day) which makes repeating a no-brainer, zero downside. Fingers crossed.

Good luck @Nigel- this stuff is so stressful

Congrats @El Floppo Sounds like you have a great kid who will be successful anywhere, so I'm so glad he's heading to the place that will have the best fit. I've come to truly believe that private schools' college placement results are more an input than an output - the schools that admit smart, successful kids tend to graduate smart, successful kids

On the college front, I'm hearing that long wait lists are liable to be a big thing, as enrollment managers have no metrics to predict what their yield on admitted students is going to be. From test scores, which helped them predict which kids would/wouldn't enroll, to attendance at admitted students events, and all the other usual indicators that helped them predict enrollment are totally out the window. Plus there's talk among parents that a lot will double deposit with the hope that their kid can visit in-person to make a decision before the final enrollment deadline, and it's worth it to them to eat the deposit in order to get the right fit for their kid. 

If your kid does get into a school he/she likes, and you're full pay (or close to it), this might be a fruitful year for negotiating additional scholarship, like: "Hey, if you come through with an extra $10K, my kid will commit to coming right now." 

Of the school where my kid has gotten in, he's eliminated Tulane and Macalester, with U of Vermont his current frontrunner. Waiting to hear from GW and American in DC, and BU and Tufts (which is a long shot IMO) in Boston. He really likes UVM though it's probably the least selective of all the schools he's applying to. If that ends up his top choice, I'm going to see if we can negotiate his way into the Honors College (which he's on the borderline for) - that would ease my concerns about going to a larger, public university, because it provides priority course registration and links him with a community of nerds, er, scholars.  

Really stoked that things worked out so perfectly for floppinho.  My wife and I were public school people too and had never even thought about other options.  My son (8th grader at the time) totally drove the bus - not because the local public was poor but because he found a private school on his own that he believed would be a better fit.  None of us have regretted the decision for even a second.

Really stoked that things worked out so perfectly for floppinho.  My wife and I were public school people too and had never even thought about other options.  My son (8th grader at the time) totally drove the bus - not because the local public was poor but because he found a private school on his own that would he believed would be a better fit.  None of us have regretted the decision for even a second.
I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into allowing my daughter to go to private high school after being in public schools up to that point.  And I haven't regretted it since.  It's really been great for her.

Really stoked that things worked out so perfectly for floppinho.  My wife and I were public school people too and had never even thought about other options.  My son (8th grader at the time) totally drove the bus - not because the local public was poor but because he found a private school on his own that would he believed would be a better fit.  None of us have regretted the decision for even a second.
I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into allowing my daughter to go to private high school after being in public schools up to that point.  And I haven't regretted it since.  It's really been great for her.
I'm super happy for you and your kids.  Happy it makes sense for all of you.  

Except that the head of school is a maroon.

Daughter got accepted to Loyola Marymount this week, 3 for 3 so far with 7 more outstanding.  Funny thing was she hadn't gotten an email or letter or anything, she just happened to log into the admissions portal and saw she was accepted, and the email was sent the next day.  Of course that means she's probably going to log into the portals for all of the others daily now.
Add Chapman University to the list, with a $28K annual merit scholarship.  :pickle:

Would only leave us with $52K a year we have to come up with.   :sadbanana:

Gonna come down to University of Puget Sound, Western Washington and Oregon.  Puget Sound came in with a very competitive aid package.  Visiting PS and WWU in April and feel fortunate to have guided tours for both campuses.  Will spend a couple of days in Bellingham.  

Now I just need to hit the lottery.
Oregon with the Pathway Scholarship for my oldest son.

Will probably go there but want him to see other schools because I think he should. 

Thanks for all the advise in here folks. 

Congrats Floppinho!!!

We're supposed to hear today from three prep schools my daughter applied to. She's a freshman at our public HS, will repeat as a freshman at one of these three next year should she get in. Very competitive this year with a big spike in applications. Our high school has been a huge disappointment this year, 100% remote...a lost year for her. She's one of the youngest in her class (August b-day) which makes repeating a no-brainer, zero downside. Fingers crossed.
Daughter got into 3rd choice, waitlisted at other two. All along she had said she really didn’t care which, if any, she got into. Well that was bs, as she was pretty upset when the news came on top choice. All good a day later though, and my wife and I honestly think this might end up the best fit in the end. Hearing about lots of kids getting flat out rejected everywhere with apps doubling most places, feeling very fortunate. 

Daughter got into 3rd choice, waitlisted at other two. All along she had said she really didn’t care which, if any, she got into. Well that was bs, as she was pretty upset when the news came on top choice. All good a day later though, and my wife and I honestly think this might end up the best fit in the end. Hearing about lots of kids getting flat out rejected everywhere with apps doubling most places, feeling very fortunate. 
Well she rated it at the top for some reason. A non acceptance still stings a bit, even if it doesn’t matter too much.  Glad for the quick bounce back.  Good luck moving forward

Users who are viewing this thread