What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

my take: the demise of American Manufacturing (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
So I've learned some things today about how the world works.  I feel a little bit less naive today than I did yesterday, and it's not good.

TL;DR: there is no way American companies can compete, long term.

Let me preface this by saying that I am a design engineer with almost 20 years experience designing consumer grade products.  I have done consumer electronics including cell phones and pagers (anyone remember those?), medical devices, biometric security devices, retail security devices and now design consumer grade child safety products.  What is clear to me now should have been clear years ago, but I held onto a vision about how the world should work.

My current project is a consumer grade child safety product.  My company is a large multi-national manufacturer who is considered a global leader and is widely lauded for excellence (even referenced in the "products you believe in" thread).  We do have domestic manufacturing but for this particular product, my superiors elected to have the product designed and manufactured in China, which is where I type this from today.

Here's what threw me for a loop: the company that is making my product (lets call them X) also manufactures similar products for our direct competitors as well as makes their own product for the Asian market.

My assumption WRT Chinese manufacturing is that American companies had wholly owned subsidiaries in China to do their manufacturing...that's not that case. State of the art is that American Companies contract design and manufacturing out to the Chinese companies.  My client also designs and manufactures products for a myriad of American competitors and is a direct competitor in Asia.  To me, this is a gross conflict of interest, but that's just how it works.  We do not have our own manufacturing facility here, and neither does anyone else.  If you buy from us or our competitor, it's all likely all designed and made by the same guys in the same place.  In fact, at lunch, I saw other Americans (from competing companies) eating in the same cafeteria (see below).

X is able to keep costs down by leveraging their expertise across different brands.  Here is how they keep costs low: the owner of X has good relationships with the government.  They take a hit on margin in exchange for sweet-heart deals on real-estate.  If they can tell the Red Party that they employ thousands of workers, they are given sweet-heard deals on real-estate, allowing them to purchase property much lower than market value.  They make their money on real-estate, as opposed to margin that gets passed to consumers.  In essence, manufacturing costs are subsidized indirectly by the Chinese Government.

The "cafeteria" I mentioned earlier - it is basically a log-cabin style lodge on their property with their own chefs.  This is where they wine and dine customers, as well as government officials.  The reason this is note-worthy: local press is not allowed inside as it is private property.  They don't risk the press taking pictures of government officials inside, and are free to do what they please there (bribes, favors, etc).  It's essentially a zone where they can be free to make sweet-heart deals.

Anyways, because of their low cost proposition, they charge us (and everyone else) a fairly low rate.  Bottom line - this supplier makes a really high percentage of the global market share in this category.  If you buy my product or our competitors, it's all designed by and made by the same guys.  To me, this is troubling.

We had a similar arrangement at my last company.  Except, that manufacturer took our design, changed it slightly, hired an American sales staff, and started selling competitive products in America.  We saw them become direct competitors, selling against us domestically.  That drove prices, and margins, down and made it tough for us to compete.  We struggled big time with that, and eventually led to me being laid off.  Apparently, after talking to my colleagues here in China, that's par for the course and it has to be...that's another way that Chinese manufacturers can keep their production costs down.

At the end of the day, you can buy from us (and we want a premium because we are a premium brand), or you can buy from our competitors, but it all comes from the same place and is equally as good.  So...what makes us better than anyone else?  Why pay the premium that we rely on?

Further, there is really no barrier to entry for our manufacturer to start selling product similar to ours in America, without our mark-up.  How can we compete with that? 

It's a global race to the bottom.  American consumers make decisions on cost.  Global quality goes down, American brands suffer and the Chinese gain.

The Chinese gain is driven by government subsidized costs on real-estate.  We, as consumers, all end up paying for it, and all facilitated by Chinese real-estate profits derived from the government.

As an example, many years ago I worked for Motorola.  We designed cell phones in Florida, Illinois, and New Jersey.  All manufacturing was in a Motorola owned plant in Tianjin (outside of Beijing).  We enjoyed Chinese labor rates, and it was all good.  We also used a contract manufacturer for some stuff called Foxconn.  Foxconn took what they learned from Motorola and sold their expertise to Apple, who never built a Chinese manufacturing facility.  Today, Foxconn is basically Apples sole manufacturer, but they also manufacture products for other customers, as well as make their own products (i.e pentium motherboards and I assume other phone hardware suppliers).  As an American consumer, everything electronic I buy is likely made by someone with a relationship to Foxconn.

The problem isn't simply outsourcing manufacturing expertise (which is a huge problem in it's own right), the problem is that nearly everything in the world is built by a small number of companies who may or may not share trade secrets across competitors.  We don't realize it, but there is a huge amount of consolidation globally in manufacturing.  There is very little product differentiation any more, which leads to a global degradation in product quality across the board across nearly all product categories.

My manufacturer, X, took what they learned on or last product (2013), and used that to develop a product for our competitor Y.  They took what they learned from Y, and are using that as the basis for my current product.  I have no doubt that they will take what they learn from developing my product to company Y to develop their next product, and the cycle continues.  Our prices go gown, which is great, but I’m very concerned that we are teaching our competitors how to make better products for the next round.  It’s a viscous cycle, where the only winners are the Chinese.  Long term, I see no way how American companies can win.  As an American engineer, I don’t see how we can compete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post.

We gave China not only product and manufacturing expertise, but also our supply chain expertise.  The Asian manufacturing supply chain is unmatched.  They have taken what we willingly handed over and built upon it, developing their own expertise.  Not only are we way a decade behind on infrastructure, but we can no longer match their expertise.

We also continue to pass over our own university kids to train foreign engineering students because they pay full tuition.  Then they go home and compete against us.  It's moronic.

Great post.

We gave China not only product and manufacturing expertise, but also our supply chain expertise.  The Asian manufacturing supply chain is unmatched.  They have taken what we willingly handed over and built upon it, developing their own expertise.  Not only are we way a decade behind on infrastructure, but we can no longer match their expertise.

We also continue to pass over our own university kids to train foreign engineering students because they pay full tuition.  Then they go home and compete against us.  It's moronic.
I deal with quite a few OEM's. They are getting crushed in the pricing wars, so they outsourced many of their parts to China. Thus the machine shops that were making these parts are getting crushed and the $#%* keeps flowing down hill. Going to be very interesting to see where things go in the next decade. 

There are some on here that would argue manufacturing is just fine....Not me...but I'm sure they will throw in their 2 cents...

The two things that sent red flares up in my mind was seeing food and wood coming from China.

Now, I can understand a widget.  Cheaper materials and labor...sure.

But food?  It's cheaper to ship food from China now?

And wood?  You can't tell me we can't grow trees.  And I'm talking about plywood especially.  How is it remotely possible to make plywood in China and ship that heavy crap here...and it's still lower in price than our own U.S. made plywood?

I know our labor costs are insane but isn't there tariffs and just straight up shipping costs and fuel that makes up the difference?

There's something wrong there on the shipping and taxes side of the equation when it comes to China.

And whatever happened to us not liking Communist regimes?  We put a lock down on Cuba for decades but make China our partner in everything manufactured.  Hypocritical nonsense.

The two things that sent red flares up in my mind was seeing food and wood coming from China.

And wood?  You can't tell me we can't grow trees.  And I'm talking about plywood especially.  How is it remotely possible to make plywood in China and ship that heavy crap here...and it's still lower in price than our own U.S. made plywood?

I know our labor costs are insane but isn't there tariffs and just straight up shipping costs and fuel that makes up the difference?

There's something wrong there on the shipping and taxes side of the equation when it comes to China.

And whatever happened to us not liking Communist regimes?  We put a lock down on Cuba for decades but make China our partner in everything manufactured.  Hypocritical nonsense.
Think about how many parts you can fit in a 40' container.  It costs a couple thousand to ship a container from China.  Neglecting tarrif and devide say, $5k by # in container, and that's the price diff between Chinmese and American manufacturimg.  Its way less than you might think.

t the end of the day, you can buy from us (and we want a premium because we are a premium brand), or you can buy from our competitors, but it all comes from the same place and is equally as good.  So...what makes us better than anyone else?  Why pay the premium that we rely on?

Further, there is really no barrier to entry for our manufacturer to start selling product similar to ours in America, without our mark-up.  How can we compete with that? 

It's a global race to the bottom.  American consumers make decisions on cost.  Global quality goes down, American brands suffer and the Chinese gain.
We've been trained to make decisions on cost because so many times we've paid more for a 'premium' product only to find out it's no better than anything else.

I recently needed to purchase (i.e. wife wanted one) an electric pencil sharpener.  Literally all made in China with almost all the same complaints.  Ended up going with a Bostitch Quietsharp Glow (made in China of course) because it was on sale ($39) and unlike the rest it has a replacement cutting cartridge.  There's no doubt in my mind that it's actually the same as every other electric pencil sharpener out there otherwise.  When this one breaks as I expect it will I'm going to spend the $200 on a Caran D'Ache.  There's a market for premium products but the manufacturer must stand behind it, explain to consumers why it's worth paying more far, and obviously not make it in China.

As an example, many years ago I worked for Motorola.  We designed cell phones in Florida, Illinois, and New Jersey.  All manufacturing was in a Motorola owned plant in Tianjin (outside of Beijing).  We enjoyed Chinese labor rates, and it was all good.
This is what Dyson does - they still design in the UK but have their own manufacturing plant in Malaysia. 

We had a similar arrangement at my last company.  Except, that manufacturer took our design, changed it slightly, hired an American sales staff, and started selling competitive products in America. 

------

Foxconn took what they learned from Motorola and sold their expertise to Apple, who never built a Chinese manufacturing facility. 
Don't events like these give American companies reason to think twice about dealing with the Chinese?

Don't events like these give American companies reason to think twice about dealing with the Chinese?
In far too many companies, executive compensation is tied to short term profits at the expense of steady long-term growth. So, who cares if the manufacturer will help the competitor in a few years. CEO needs to cut costs now to get that bonus.

Define 'comoditized products'.  I used to think like the above, but I can't say what is a commodity any more.
Generally, I would define them as products that aren't highly engineered and/or where the cost of failure is extremely low.

I realize that isn't really isn't an adequate explanation when we are talking about a place that does assembling of iPhones. But in the case of something like the iPhone, the hardware is important and its assembly needs to be done right, but most of the real value-add is in the design, software and network effects of the product suite.

Another way to describe it would be if the key marketing metric for the product is price, above all other considerations, then it is commoditized.

On a slightly different topic, I think the way you framed the issue in your post title is interesting: "the demise of American Manufacturing".

It implies that manufacturing is dead or dying in the US. The wording of it also suggests to me that this problem is somewhat specific to the US, though it may not have been the intent.

Neither of those are remotely true. The United States is still one of the world's manufacturing powerhouses, but it has clearly lost market share to China, as have all of the world's other manufacturing giants. The US has actually done relatively better in this regard than many other major manufacturers. 

The US has also lost lots and lots of manufacturing jobs because of replacement of human workers with robots for some tasks. This is a double-edged sword, of course, because while it results in improved efficiency, it really sucks for the workers being replaced. But increased efficiency is the only way a high cost producer (such as the US) can compete with a low cost producer (like China). If the choice is between losing some manufacturing jobs in a company or industry, due to replacement with robots, or losing all of them, due to the entire production process moving to China (or another low cost location), I know which I would choose.

Would you add to your laundry list of reasons things like no OSHA, no unions, zero care about safety, zero care about poisoning people(the powered milk issue, the bleaching of food that is spoiled, poison let food)?

How can you ever hope to compete against that?

If we are talking about commoditized products, there is no way to compete, nor should we want to try.
Future of manufacturing - at least if you want decent wages and profitable long term business models that are not at the whim of consumer fads and/or supply/demand/cost fluctuation of commodities - is not large scale traditional old school churn it out manufacturing.  That's either (very) low wages, and more and more often, close to fully automated.

The future, and I've seen it first hand, is clean/green manufacturing, hi tech products (especially energy related for now, and likely a good stretch into the future), and, more and more, artisan production and makers spaces.  

Not an engineer or manufacturer or whatever, but the demise in quality seems to be a very real thing across nearly all consumer products. I'm sure some of it is nostalgia factor, but things don't last for #### anymore. Appliances, lawn mowers, tools, etc., you name it, are cheaply made with plastic that breaks or cheap steel that rusts. In many cases its to shave a penny off each unit cost, basically penny wise and pound foolish. How many threads have there been where people were asking about the best xyz to buy and there are tons of complaints about most brands being crap? Or that you should try to find a 5 to 10 year old used so and so because the newer model doesn't work as well or last as long. Read reviews online enough trying to research products and many times nearly every manufacturer has the same complaints across their competing products.

Seems like we are getting closer and closer to a consumer pushback on cheaply made crap. There's got to be a growing market for companies that really stand behind their products and that are built to last. Not these empty promises of "guarantee's" or warranties or service contracts. Obviously many people want the lowest price (especially since wages are stagnant), but many of us also want quality and things that last.

Would you add to your laundry list of reasons things like no OSHA, no unions, zero care about safety, zero care about poisoning people(the powered milk issue, the bleaching of food that is spoiled, poison let food)?

How can you ever hope to compete against that?
This is a great point and one that I have brought up before.  The playing field is not level.  It costs so much to do business in the US.  Permits cost a lot of money.  Safety and environmental controls cost a lot of money.  Writing those annual reports (many are pointless) and permit renewals costs a lot of time and money (salaries plus direct cost).  Even without unions, our wages put us at a disadvantage.  And, I am pretty right leaning but our wages for many of our jobs in this country are pitiful. 

We are not going to compete on a level playing field ever again. 

I posted almost the same thing in the Trump thread because I had no idea where to post it. I can't recall the article, maybe something about Cisco and Huawei. It just came down to the fact that the folks making decisions about driving costs down and moving manufacturing overseas weren't really worried about losing all their intellectual property. I agree with you 100% and saw the same thing happening in software companies I worked for with outsourcing to India. Lower cost, but did they really have any control over theft/people working directly for competitors? Nope.

US companies did this to themselves because they saw easy ways to lower money and drive stock prices up, but as the company you worked for before found out, they just screwed themselves.

No idea where it will end up, but it doesn't look good.

Think about how many parts you can fit in a 40' container.  It costs a couple thousand to ship a container from China.  Neglecting tarrif and devide say, $5k by # in container, and that's the price diff between Chinmese and American manufacturimg.  Its way less than you might think.
I think you are way overestimating the shipping price in the current trans pacific market, but I could be wrong post Hanjin collapse (hope you guys haven't been using them)

And the container shipping price will stay low at least until 2018 if not longer dur to oversupply of capacity. Personally I think it will alst at least until 2020.

On food: There is no way in hell I will ever buy food from China (other than specific regional items), their health safety standards are just not up to snuff

We are not going to compete on a level playing field ever again. 
Not to take anything away from the other good points you made, but we have never competed on a level playing field with anybody. Level playing fields don't exist in the real world. In fact, if the playing field was level, international trade wouldn't really exist.

Now, if you are talking about a level regulatory playing field, then that is more achievable, but still more a theoretical construct than a real thing.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Eventuay their workers will revolt for better wages and working conditions
They are getting improvements in both constantly.  It will still take decades (if ever) to reach us though.

RedmondLonghorn said:
Not to take anything away from the other good points you made, but we have never competed on a level playing field with anybody. Level playing fields don't exist in the real world. In fact, if the playing field was level, international trade wouldn't really exist.

Now, if you are talking about a level regulatory playing field, then that is more achievable, but still more a theoretical construct than a real thing.
And enforcement would probably still be different 

They are getting improvements in both constantly.  It will still take decades (if ever) to reach us though.
Low cost manufactoring will gradually either leave China or move inland due to rising wage pressure (it has already moved north east, first to the Ningbo/Shanghai area and now to the area around Tianjin). Moving inland will add trnasportation cost which will make the goods produced less competitive internationally. But moving production inland will improve the lot of the 6-700 million rural Chinese that so far have not seen much benefit of the new times (the past 30 years or so).

Low cost manufactoring will gradually either leave China or move inland due to rising wage pressure (it has already moved north east, first to the Ningbo/Shanghai area and now to the area around Tianjin). Moving inland will add trnasportation cost which will make the goods produced less competitive internationally. But moving production inland will improve the lot of the 6-700 million rural Chinese that so far have not seen much benefit of the new times (the past 30 years or so).
You are missing the point of extrapolating all of the negative aspects of a situation while ignoring that other things change.

Unless you get with the program you will never be qualified to discuss business or economics on this board (or in politics).

Can anyone tell me why we are so Sinocentric (is that racist now?) in our outsourcing of manufacturing when India appears it would be so much a better partner?

Can anyone tell me why we are so Sinocentric (is that racist now?) in our outsourcing of manufacturing when India appears it would be so much a better partner?
India is further away (increases capital costs due to longer transit time) and their infrastructure sucks.(increasing volatility in the supply chain)

You are missing the point of extrapolating all of the negative aspects of a situation while ignoring that other things change.

Unless you get with the program you will never be qualified to discuss business or economics on this board (or in politics).
Your face is unqualified!

:P

India is way behind China in terms of liberalizing its economy. Although India was never a fully Communist country like China was, it was definitely very socialist and statist. And while China has been aggressively pursuing a more market oriented system for at least two decades, India has only really liberalized more recently.

India is also way behind the developed coastal regions of China in terms of infrastructure. 

Finally, India is a lot further away from the US by sea than China is. The ocean freight transit time from Shanghai to the West Coast ports in the US can be as quick as 12-16 days. Transit time from Mumbai to East Coast ports is more like 23-28 days.  

India is way behind China in terms of liberalizing its economy. Although India was never a fully Communist country like China was, it was definitely very socialist and statist. And while China has been aggressively pursuing a more market oriented system for at least two decades, India has only really liberalized more recently.

India is also way behind the developed coastal regions of China in terms of infrastructure. 

Finally, India is a lot further away from the US by sea than China is. The ocean freight transit time from Shanghai to the West Coast ports in the US can be as quick as 12-16 days. Transit time from Mumbai to East Coast ports is more like 23-28 days.  
And @wikkidpissah the difference between Mumbai and Shanghai is staggering - in every way. 

The longer term problem in what @moleculo brings up is the design. Because something like 3D printing could move "manufacturing" back locally all over the world. But if all the designs are Chinese, guess where the money is going.

It will be a few years before 3D printing can do electronics though

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
I deal with quite a few OEM's. They are getting crushed in the pricing wars, so they outsourced many of their parts to China. Thus the machine shops that were making these parts are getting crushed and the $#%* keeps flowing down hill. Going to be very interesting to see where things go in the next decade. 
I deal with jet engine manufacturers (GE/Pratt/Rolls) and Russia/China are making huge strides to not only compete, but take over, that industry in the next two-three decades.  I could quit my job, hire on for a Chinese firm, and make 4x my salary without trying.  They are hiring huge numbers of engineers to reverse engineer/redesign and greatly increasing their quality/capability. 

Great read, thanks for posting.  I have been voicing a similar opinion for years to anyone that will listen.  I think it is embarrassing how this administration has allowed the outright theft of US products and IP by the Chinese.  I am fine with the basic manufacturing jobs leaving because the US should be on the cutting edge using our resources for the highly technical better paying products.  However, if we start losing all of the physical products to foreigners that is a completely different story. 

One other phenomenon we are seeing here in CA (not sure about other area) is the huge rush of Chinese money being put back into US real estate.  The have completely taken over nor and so cal parking money to hide from their government while driving up real estate prices (jury is out if this is good or bad).  Unless we want to see a population shift in the US, people need to understand how they are spending their money. 

tdoss said:

Living in CA I don't notice this much.  Out of curiosity what specific food items are being imported? 

Great read, thanks for posting.  I have been voicing a similar opinion for years to anyone that will listen.  I think it is embarrassing how this administration has allowed the outright theft of US products and IP by the Chinese. 
I think you can probably trace this one a lot further back than Obummer. Probably 1st Bush or Clinton, or even earlier

I think you can probably trace this one a lot further back than Obummer. Probably 1st Bush or Clinton, or even earlier
Which is definitely fair and that is why I didn't want to turn this political by calling Obama out by name.  Very scary how easy it is for the Chinese to reverse engineer what we have done and repackage it as their own.  Until an administration takes a hardline on this topic, we will continue to erode away in the global market place.  Just my $.02

I'll throw out a few points.

Low energy costs are and will will lead to more manufacturing in America. Natural gas in particular.  America is now exporting some chemical products on the Gulf Coast for the first time ever due to low natural gas prices.

Chinese labor costs are currently increasing. This is part of the trend to move their plants from the coasts to try and mitigate this by accessing their more rural workers.

Engineered product quality could be said to be improving due to more precise manufacturing tolerances.  Chinese or not. Look at internal combustion engines as an example. Lifetime of an engine manufactured today is significantly improved over just 20-30 years ago.  This is true of many products but our nostalgic minds tell us otherwise.

Its easy to look at electronics and cheap consumer goods being dominated by the Chinese and conclude the end is near for American manufacturing but I believe it is really only in certain categories and we will continue to see "clustering" by region and country.  China dominates electronics, Italy dominates pumps, the US dominates in Petroleum, Steel, Chemicals, Aerospace, etc.

I'll throw out a few points.

Low energy costs are and will will lead to more manufacturing in America. Natural gas in particular.  America is now exporting some chemical products on the Gulf Coast for the first time ever due to low natural gas prices.

Chinese labor costs are currently increasing. This is part of the trend to move their plants from the coasts to try and mitigate this by accessing their more rural workers.

Engineered product quality could be said to be improving due to more precise manufacturing tolerances.  Chinese or not. Look at internal combustion engines as an example. Lifetime of an engine manufactured today is significantly improved over just 20-30 years ago.  This is true of many products but our nostalgic minds tell us otherwise.

Its easy to look at electronics and cheap consumer goods being dominated by the Chinese and conclude the end is near for American manufacturing but I believe it is really only in certain categories and we will continue to see "clustering" by region and country.  China dominates electronics, Italy dominates pumps, the US dominates in Petroleum, Steel, Chemicals, Aerospace, etc.
Airbus begs to differ :P

Fact of the matter though is that manufacturing jobs may be leaving China in the future but we are talking far future before they return to the US and Western Europe, if ever

cstu said:
We've been trained to make decisions on cost because so many times we've paid more for a 'premium' product only to find out it's no better than anything else.

I recently needed to purchase (i.e. wife wanted one) an electric pencil sharpener.  Literally all made in China with almost all the same complaints.  Ended up going with a Bostitch Quietsharp Glow (made in China of course) because it was on sale ($39) and unlike the rest it has a replacement cutting cartridge.  There's no doubt in my mind that it's actually the same as every other electric pencil sharpener out there otherwise.  When this one breaks as I expect it will I'm going to spend the $200 on a Caran D'Ache.  There's a market for premium products but the manufacturer must stand behind it, explain to consumers why it's worth paying more far, and obviously not make it in China.
That's my point - its likely all of these products are designed and built by the same company.

i think my rant is more about centralization than international trade.  Its not about the Chinese so much as it is about everyone outsourcing to the same guy.

Airbus begs to differ :P

Fact of the matter though is that manufacturing jobs may be leaving China in the future but we are talking far future before they return to the US and Western Europe, if ever

Damn French.  Stealing our aeroplane jobs.

Chemicals are already returning to the US because of Natural Gas prices.

msommer said:
I think you are way overestimating the shipping price in the current trans pacific market, but I could be wrong post Hanjin collapse (hope you guys haven't been using them)

And the container shipping price will stay low at least until 2018 if not longer dur to oversupply of capacity. Personally I think it will alst at least until 2020.

On food: There is no way in hell I will ever buy food from China (other than specific regional items), their health safety standards are just not up to snuff
Probably.  Im not involved in shipping calculations - I have no idea what shipping a container costs.  I know a 40' container is pretty big and you can stuff a lot of things in there.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Eventuay their workers will revolt for better wages and working conditions
I don't think so.  I don't think revolt is part of the Chinese DNA.  

Also, the workers aren't far removed from subsistence farming.  Factory work, while gruelling, is much easier than that.

Users who are viewing this thread