What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY & REDRAFT: HOU RB TYLER ERVIN (1 Viewer)

strong

Footballguy
i tried searching for this, but doesn't seem he's got his own thread.

he's a tad undersized at 5'10" & 192 lbs. but he comps pretty well with danny woodhead.

he saw 15% of the snaps week one. it's doubtful he'd ever see the workhorse role should anything happen to lamar, but i am surprised there's so little talk of such an explosive rookie who's basically the receiving down back for a team right off the bat.

anyone stashing this guy or have hopes he works his way into fantasy relevancy this season?

I am stashing him and hope he turns into anything close to woodhead.  I know he comps close to woodhead, but that would be a tall order to fill.

I am stashing him and hope he turns into anything close to woodhead.  I know he comps close to woodhead, but that would be a tall order to fill.

tall order indeed. but his usage in game 1 seems to be going way under the radar. kid saw the field a good amount. he didn't get his hands on the ball much so waiver wire people are talking quite a bit more about other RBs.

but will be interesting to see how the team brings him along in week 2.

i could see him settling in to the 5-10 touch role pretty fast. might be a sneaky add in 14 to 16 team leagues.

who is this guy?

GRIMES, JONATHAN HOU RB.
Grimes has been around for a few years. From the look of Thursday night's game against the Pats, he may be the guy if something were to happen to Miller. 

I'm currently burning two roster spots on Ervin and Grimes (against my better judgment), does anyone have some insight into the right handcuff for Miller?

I think Ervin is droppable. He has negative points in my league. If miller goes down it becomes a mess in Houston with the trust going to the veteran RBs. Ervin hasn't proven anything.

I don't think a handcuff to Lamar is worthwhile.  He has zero room to operate....he has been able to survive fantasy wise but I sure wouldn't be confident that Grimes, Ervin, or Blue could do anything with the lack of blocking.  Handcuffs are only worth having if you think they would be able to basically take over where the lead back left off AND that they would have the same work load rather than being part of a committee.

More concerned about his dynasty value... my dynasty leagues aren't tremendously deep in roster space.  It's difficult to hold guys like this at the darkest point, but you don't want to just punt the handcuff to a major role if that is, in fact, what Ervin has.  Problem is I'm not sure he's the handcuff right now... very concerning to see Grimes getting so much run last Thursday and they still seem to like Blue for unexplained reasons.  Fumbling kickoffs doesn't help either.

I don't think a handcuff to Lamar is worthwhile.  He has zero room to operate....he has been able to survive fantasy wise but I sure wouldn't be confident that Grimes, Ervin, or Blue could do anything with the lack of blocking.  Handcuffs are only worth having if you think they would be able to basically take over where the lead back left off AND that they would have the same work load rather than being part of a committee.
i don't think his value is in being a lamar handcuff.

his value was predicated on turning into a woodhead type slasher who was FF relevant even in a timeshare, not as someone who would take over three down RB duties if lamar went down...

It's going to be a patient wait, but it's good to see some positive OTA observations on Ervin.  Really liked him during last season's rookie draft where you could get him.  The addition of Foreman doesn't help, but it also doesn't seem to hurt him too much.  If he could notch out a Chris Thompson-like role it would be ideal.  If Miller were to miss time, that's when we'd probably see them be forced to use Ervin more.  He sounds like he's going to have a mini-breakout this season and the guy's cheap right now.  It's a long patient wait in deeper leagues, but might be flexworthy in PPR this season???  Really like how it's so noticeable that his gear is that much different than everyone else.  

10. Later in practice, rookie linebacker Zach Cunningham was in man coverage on running back/offensive weapon Tyler Ervin. Cunningham was inside with the corner man-to-man on the tight end to his outside. The tight end ran up and across the field, generating a natural pick on Cunningham as Ervin shot to the flat. Cunningham, though, evaded the route and then sprinted right to the spot where Ervin was going, not where he was, and blanketed the 2nd year pass catcher. No one has stayed with Ervin in the two OTA practices that we’ve seen but the rookie from Vanderbilt did it perfectly on the goal line.

16. Let me reiterate, Tyler Ervin is going to do some great things for this football team on both offense and special teams. He has a different gear when he gets the ball in his hands.

17. With Ervin, Akeem Hunt, Will Fuller, Wendall Williams, Braxton Miller, this team finally has some dudes with some juice that can truly scare teams with their speed. It’s just a matter of executing and getting open. Once they have the ball, the speed/explosiveness will take care of the rest.

18 observations from #TexansOTAs

There was a clear confidence change with running back Tyler Ervin on the field. Last season, even during the spring and offseason, Ervin looked tentative. With the ball in his hands today, he looked decisive when catching, running, and fielding punts. It is early, but it is clear that Ervin appears to be a different player on the field. 

Quick hitters from today's OTAs

Last edited by a moderator:
More drum beat for Ervin....

As for Ervin, he has been one of the more intriguing offensive players this spring and it all starts with his confidence. Ervin is quick to his spots and showing he is a plus route runner, catching the ball with ease. He is much more decisive with the ball in his hands and is eating up yardage in a hurry. Some will point out that the team is not in full pads, which is correct, but the moves Ervin has put on defenders, wearing full pads would not have helped to slow him. 

Let us preface the thought with “it’s early,” but the strongest spring belonged to Tyler Ervin and the work he has put in. During yesterday’s practice, he had a strong day (Read Here) and today was no different with how much stress he puts on defenders with the ball in his hands. There were moments last year on the practice field where Ervin showed his explosive ability, but like most rookies, the learning curve is steep and it caused him to play slowly. Fully immersed in the playbook and with an understanding of what O’Brien wants from the offense, Ervin is no longer thinking and is just playing the game. Where it really shows is in how quickly he is getting in and out of breaks plus his acceleration with the football in his hands. Ervin has had a clear jump in confidence in the offense and now he has to continue it moving forward.  http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1785020-the-texans-work-is-done-until-training-camp

Nathan Jahnke‏ @PFF_NateJahnke 15h15 hours ago

Texans Tyler Ervin looks like he has moved to WR.

Saw 8 of 20 snaps with the starters. 7 in the slot, 1 out wide, and 0 in the backfield.

Anything to see here for the truly desperate? The team saying he may see time in the slot with Coutee out? I may take a poke with my injury/bye woes this week. 

i don't know anything about him, but the situation is it was fuller's job and coutee was filling in for him. fuller looks to be back, so i'd say this is a hail mary.

Users who are viewing this thread