What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (1 Viewer)

Lamar Jackson completed 15-of-17 passes for 223 yards and three touchdowns in the Ravens' Week 10 win over the Bengals, adding 65 yards and one touchdown as a runner.

Jackson made this look like a video game. To start the game, Jackson hit Marquise Brown over the top for a big gain. The Bengals had to know they were in trouble at this point, and they were. Jackson found Mark Andrews for two scores and Brown for his third. The play of the game was on a signature designed run. Jackson burst up the middle before putting multiple Bengals on the turf with a nasty spin move before beating the rest of the defense to the end zone for a 47-yard touchdown. It was an MVP-level performance, one that he'll look to build upon next week against Deshaun Watson and the Texans. Lamar will obviously be an elite QB1 then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Hembekides

@PaulHembo

·

11m

First 16 career starts

Wins Lamar Jackson (13) Patrick Mahomes (12)

Rush Yds Lamar Jackson (1,258) LaDainian Tomlinson (1,236)

Passer Rtg Lamar Jackson (94.4) Tom Brady (90.1)

Yds per Att Lamar Jackson (7.6) Aaron Rodgers (7.5)

Comp Pct Lamar Jackson (63%) Drew Brees (61%)

@PaulHembo

First 16 career starts

Wins Lamar Jackson (13) Patrick Mahomes (12)

Rush Yds Lamar Jackson (1,258) LaDainian Tomlinson (1,236)

Passer Rtg Lamar Jackson (94.4) Tom Brady (90.1)

Yds per Att Lamar Jackson (7.6) Aaron Rodgers (7.5)

Comp Pct Lamar Jackson (63%) Drew Brees (61%)
That's kind of cherry-picking various stats vs. various players. But now that Lamar has made 16 starts as an NFL QB, here's what his "one season" numbers are. Pretty good for a 22-year-old

Record: 13-3
Passing: 260-413 attempts, 63%, 3,195 yards, 20 TDs-8 INTs
Passer rating: 94.9

Rushing: 225 carries for 1,258 yards, 11 TDs

His QB rating for 2019 is up to 101.7.

On both the long game-opening pass to Brown yesterday and the long seam pass to Boyle, he looked at Andrews first, saw he was covered and then moved on in his progressions to find the wide open target. It's fun to watch what he's doing right now.

He's having the kind of year where you're kicking yourself it should have been so obvious. But it wasn't. He was like QB5 or QB6 off the board in most standard leagues and lower for QB-friendly leagues.

Crazy.  The New England game was utter competence and near blowout, the Cincinnati game might well seen Cincinnati to have had pylons trying to tackle him it was so dominant. 

I understand that. Not sure why people want to talk about his first 16 starts and ignore his postseason starts. Maybe because the narrative is stronger that way...
Generally because postseason stats are talked about differently and they're likely among the first half of his starts in progression order. 

He's having the kind of year where you're kicking yourself it should have been so obvious. But it wasn't. He was like QB5 or QB6 off the board in most standard leagues and lower for QB-friendly leagues.

Crazy.  The New England game was utter competence and near blowout, the Cincinnati game might well seen Cincinnati to have had pylons trying to tackle him it was so dominant. 
He’s amazingly picking up right where he left off in college

rockaction said:

Thought he was more like 12-14 overall, taken at the beginning of the backup WB run or high upside later round starters. In the two leagues I got him he was there in round 10/11.

Thought he was more like 12-14 overall, taken at the beginning of the backup WB run or high upside later round starters. In the two leagues I got him he was there in round 10/11.
I think the league I drafted him in, FBG had him there. My memory might be a bit hazy, but that's where I recall him going and thinking that it was awfully high.

*snickers at rockaction circa 9/19*

That said, you could be right. I wonder how to find out ADP and whatnot just by time, date, year, etc.

I just checked FBG for MFL data. He and Dak were QB 14 and 15, respectively, as of Sept. 2. I must be thinking in our Superflex league or something. FBG expert rankings had him at QB12 indeed. 

rockaction said:

I think it was obvious in the sense that unless you were paying for Mahomes, it made perhaps more sense than ever to wait on QB with so many guys bunched together.  And if you were going to that, the upside of Lamar was so huge if it all worked that he had to be taken.  There were plenty of ways that it could have gone wrong though (and still could).  

Also a bit dependent on league/roster size.  The league where I took him was a 10 team/1 QB, so I wasn't too concerned about finding a replacement.  If you are talking about a 16-team or large bench leagues, that's kind of a different story, though also shouldn't have been too hard to grab an insurance policy in the draft as well.

This dude is way better than Mike Vick... imagine if he had a real #1 WR ... he's amazing.. Bad Weather will be his downfall....but until then ....

When he played in Seattle with some rain.. i think he changed his cleats multiple times and could never get his feet planted with confidence.. looked frustrated and didnt play like like he's atm.. ride till the wheels fall off

I think the league I drafted him in, FBG had him there. My memory might be a bit hazy, but that's where I recall him going and thinking that it was awfully high.

That said, you could be right. I wonder how to find out ADP and whatnot just by time, date, year, etc.

I just checked FBG for MFL data. He and Dak were QB 14 and 15, respectively, as of Sept. 2. I must be thinking in our Superflex league or something. FBG expert rankings had him at QB12 indeed. 
Ryan, Lamar,Dak,Winston and Stafford were clearly the best QB values imo. 

This dude is way better than Mike Vick... imagine if he had a real #1 WR ... he's amazing.. Bad Weather will be his downfall....but until then ....
I liked his for everything until the bad weather part.

When he played in Seattle with some rain.. i think he changed his cleats multiple times and could never get his feet planted with confidence.. looked frustrated and didnt play like like he's atm.. ride till the wheels fall off
That is true, he had some cleat  issues but it was one game. I trust that he and the Ravens can figure out the cleat situation. Also the bad cleats led to 116 and 1 rushing with a a solid 8.3 ypc. 

I would no doubt take a chance on him. His athletic ability is off the charts. That can’t be taught. Throwing motions, mechanics and playbooks can be.

Guarantee you the Dolphins won’t draft him though. 

Idiots. 
I keep looking at this post and shake my head.

Hire me Steven Ross. Hire me damn it.

I keep looking at this post and shake my head.

Hire me Steven Ross. Hire me damn it.
I started reading this thread from the beginning and it’s one of the most incredible things I’ve seen. The level of wrong is off the charts,

I started reading this thread from the beginning and it’s one of the most incredible things I’ve seen. The level of wrong is off the charts,
You do have to give people some leeway on this. They redesigned a whole offense around him, usually not something an organization is willing to do, even for a first-round QB.

You do have to give people some leeway on this. They redesigned a whole offense around him, usually not something an organization is willing to do, even for a first-round QB.
That’s fair. The team created an offense to accentuate the talents of one of the most special football players of the decade. It’s sad that it is a surprise and not the norm. 

Like how the Lions spent a few years running a short horizontal offense for Matt Stafford. Just pissing away a couple years of one of the best gunslingers of the era.

If the Cardinals let him get by them, they are really dumb imo. Bradford can’t be relied on short term or long term. Then in rounds 2 and 3, get some weapons.

I think Jackson should go before the Bills get to pick, but if he does make it to them, I worry that they don't want to adjust their offense to a mobile QB. I am not even sure Jackson needs an offensive adjustment to be successful, but I see him typecast that way.
I was worried I might have some #### posts in here. Thank god I got this one right.

I gotta be honest. Even as a Louisville homer, I was not fully convinced heading into this season. Our dynasty has 10 teams; 30 man rosters & an IR for up to 10. Further, QBs are extra valuable in our scoring system (not to the level of Superflex tho). So, qbs don't just grow on the waiver wire. 

I entered the season with Goff, Winston, Jackson, Carr & Teddy B. I am now carrying: Jackson ............................... Goff, Winston, Carr & RGIII. I'd love to trade one of my qbs and am trying to find a good deal. However, I do still believe that LJ has a higher than average risk for injury from his running. I am VERY happy to take this risk in exchange for the upside; so I'm not trying to rain on the parade. 

3 weeks ago I proclaimed to Adam that LJ was #2 dyno qb - at worst. We debated. I stand by it. Fight me!

HATER ALERT
Naw. He just doesn't want people to forget that the Chargers defense had a decent game against him and knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs his rookie season.

Obviously the Chargers blueprint for stopping Lamar has carried over into his second season. 

JWB is one of the reasons I didn't get Jackson in some leagues.

Like how the Lions spent a few years running a short horizontal offense for Matt Stafford. Just pissing away a couple years of one of the best gunslingers of the era.
Perfect example of how a player needs the right coaches.  Ravens as mentioned designed a whole offense to max what they had.  Lions as usual think they are smarter than everyone while continuing their 60 year losing streak.  As much money as all these guys make, I still feel bad for those drafted by the wrong team.

I think RGIII could have been a starter in the league for a decade if it wasn't for The Rat...

I'm very curious about Jackson's prospects. I think he is a late first candidate, probably a trade up scenario
Ended up with him on several FF teams and the FBG contest.

Drafted him in 1 QB leagues at 2.02 and 2.08. In Super Flex at 1.05 and the 4th QB right after Rosen, who i wanted more.... of course i took Rosen before him in one, but traded for him before this season (Roth and 2020 devy depleted 1st for Jackson and Samuel CAR WR)

*Searching for 80's #### #### post now*
I’m sure I have a ton and probably some in here even...
From FFA: Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately

and i oop. 

We need an emoji for these.

*LJ's 45 yard run last week*

MoCS: sksksk! 

It's impossible to simplify an NFL playbook enough to allow Jackson to play QB.

that one jumps off the first page.   i shouldn't judge.  i didn't expect this out of him this soon.
and I oop!

That’s fair. The team created an offense to accentuate the talents of one of the most special football players of the decade. It’s sad that it is a surprise and not the norm. 
I was going to say the same thing.  I think the Ravens coaching staff and front office need a ton of credit for this.  It's one thing to draft a talented player but it is a whole different thing to actually scrap almost everything in the playbook and start over to maximize the strengths and limit the weaknesses of the player.  This even goes into subsequent drafts by taking Brown & Boykin in the draft as well as getting Ingram to compliment the running game. 

Many of those comments early in this thread could have ended up right if the wrong franchise took Lamar and tried to make him into something he wasn't. 

Naw. He just doesn't want people to forget that the Chargers defense had a decent game against him and knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs his rookie season.

Obviously the Chargers blueprint for stopping Lamar has carried over into his second season. 

JWB is one of the reasons I didn't get Jackson in some leagues.
The Chargers defense has a few players that aren't easily replicable like Derwin James.  I think that had a lot to do with the game plan that was able to slow Jackson down.

The Chargers defense has a few players that aren't easily replicable like Derwin James.  I think that had a lot to do with the game plan that was able to slow Jackson down.
Yeah that Chargers D had something like 6 Pro Bowlers on it. 

Baltimore's run into the play-offs in 2018 was largely a Cinderella story once Lamar Jackson took over at QB. Obviously he is far-more advanced as a passer, and maybe even as a runner too in 2019.

I took some ribbing when I drafted him this year, but simply felt like this year could be his best season from a fantasy perspective as I felt that one day we would look back and see that 2019 was when he had XX number of rushing TD's and hundreds of yards rushing and those numbers would tail off in the future as he develops as a QB. In a league that rewards QBs for rushing vs passing TDs, that's a huge boost.

Similar to Cam Newton's MVP season where (I believe) he had double-digit rushing TDs.

So yesterday Baltimore ran a play with 3 Heisman trophy winners in it's backfield.  Has that ever happened before in the history of the NFL?
Can't imagine or think of an instance with 3. 

I can think of one with 2, when Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson shared the Raiders backfield.   

Users who are viewing this thread