What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (1 Viewer)

Can't imagine or think of an instance with 3. 

I can think of one with 2, when Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson shared the Raiders backfield.   
I heard on the radio they had a 3rd Heisman winner on the team, but I don't think it was an offensive player (and thus not all on the field at the same time)

Safe to assume nobody in the least is concerned about Jackson's week 13 matchup vs SF?

Critical week obviously for many as it's the week prior to the fantasy playoffs.

Tempted to pick up Foles (vs TB) just in case I need to break glass in case of emergency. That said, I could use that roster spot to take a shot down the field on a RB lotto ticket.

Safe to assume nobody in the least is concerned about Jackson's week 13 matchup vs SF?

Critical week obviously for many as it's the week prior to the fantasy playoffs.

Tempted to pick up Foles (vs TB) just in case I need to break glass in case of emergency. That said, I could use that roster spot to take a shot down the field on a RB lotto ticket.
I am not benching him. He played well against NE and while the SF seems real, they can be beat and who better than this dynamic guy?

Not benching him. At the same time, I’m sure there are lots of teams with Lamar that are already in the playoffs and week 13 won’t matter for them. You got a top 3 qb for a steal. 

I am more intrigued with the Raven offense than ANY OTHER NFL story this year.

They looked unstoppable last year and the knee-jerk reaction was that once the league got tape on this offense it would be neutralized but a funny thing happened this off season.

The Ravens pushed every single chip into the middle of the table, they pulled the rip cord, they crossed the bridge and burned it down to the ground.  

Their ain't no looking back.  

I'm not sold on Lamar as a passer but I am 100% bought in on Harb's going all-in on this offense and that Jackson will thrive as a runner/fantasy stud till someone can stop em and I'm not soo sure that the entire Baltimore organization would wager everything if they weren't completely sold on this offense working.

---------------------------------------------

The Athletic NFL‏Verified account @TheAthleticNFL Jul 24

John Harbaugh and the Ravens are trying to create something the league has never seen before with Lamar Jackson under center.

--------------------------------------------

Must hear from PFF. >>>>>>

-------------------------------------------

Video clip -  PFF round table discussion of unique Raven offense

PFF‏Verified account @PFF

‘This offense is going to look different than any other offense in NFL history’ - @PFF_Mike breaks down the Ravens' offense.
I love that they went all-in on him in the off-season.

Lamar has progressed as a passer but this is a run-based offense.

The offense has looked different and Harbs has created something the league has never seen before.

Jackson's numbers

• 255 attempts with 168 completions  (65.9%)
  • 2,036 passing yards
  • 15 passing TDs
  • 5 INTs
  • 106 rushing attempts
  • 702 yards
  • 6 rushing TDs
  • 4 fumbles 0 lost
Team stats  show the Ravens with the 2nd best offense in the league and you can figure out if it is due to rushing or passing.

Total Yards Per Game

• 2nd
Passing Yards Per Game

• 22nd
Rushing Yards Per Game

• 1st

I'm concerned but not "start Nick Foles" concerned. My backup is Ryan so that's a bit more to reflect on.

Lamar Jackson completed 17-of-24 passes for 222 yards and four touchdowns in the Ravens' 41-7, Week 11 win over the Texans, adding nine rushes for 86 additional yards.

With the Ravens running away with it, Jackson took a breather with seven minutes remaining. With his latest detonation, Jackson became the first quarterback in league history to clear 60 rushing yards in seven-straight starts. It was still through the air where L-Jax made his biggest mark against the Texans' pathetic defense, hitting Mark Ingram for a pair of scores in addition to Seth Roberts and Mark Andrews. Jackson's longest completion of the day was a non-scoring 51-yarder to Andrews. He had another "Heisman"-type run, rumbling for 39 yards. Dan Fouts compared him to Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders as a runner. Jackson has eight days to rest up for a Monday night date with the Rams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cardinals slicing up that d right now.   Between that and what Lamar did to NE, zero concern.

Starting with Lamar’s “Hell yeah, Coach let’s go for it” in Seattle, when he turned a 4th and 2 into an 8-yard TD run, the Ravens have outscored opponents 144-43 in 13+ quarters

Lamar during that stretch:
144.6 QB rating, 51 of 67 for 635 yards, 8 TDs, 0 INT
37 rushes for 273 yds, 7.37 ypc, 4 TDs

Imagine believing that anyone cares what your "take" on Lamar is at this point

Ghost Rider said:
Russell Wilson is still my pick for MVP, but Jackson is certainly in a comfortable 2nd place now. 
Luckily, I'm not as hard-core as Mark Ingram. ;)

RW vs LJ is a good conversation, imo. I have had it with the Wilson owner in my dyno. The remainder of the season should provide a lot of excitement.

Fantasy football stats to know from Week 11

Excerpt:

1. Through 11 weeks, five quarterbacks total 50 or more rushing attempts – Lamar Jackson (115), Josh Allen (74), Kyler Murray (67), Deshaun Watson (55), and Russell Wilson (50). All five quarterbacks rank top-10 in fantasy points per game. 

Undoubtedly, this is the year of the Konami Code quarterback.

Jackson is on pace for 441.6 fantasy points, or what would be the most by any quarterback in any season all-time.

Wilson and Watson continue to do Wilson- and Watson-like things, ranking second- (24.3) and fourth-best (22.5), respectively, in fantasy points per game.

The two surprises would be Murray and Allen. Murray is on pace for 319.8 fantasy points, which would be the second-most by any rookie quarterback in NFL history. Meanwhile, Allen totals 343.4 fantasy points over his last 16 games, which would have ranked top-three in any of the last seven seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy is a cheat code. He's doing things as a runner and passer that Vick, VY, RG3, Wilson, Kaep, Watson never did in their peak years (or were never allowed to), he's on another level wow. 
Lamar has only done this for one year (so far).  Vick did have the incredible year in Philly that was very similar to what Lamar is doing right now.  This could be a single peak year for Lamar (I think he will still be very good just not sure he will match this peak again) similar to that peak year for Vick.

Lamar has only done this for one year (so far).  Vick did have the incredible year in Philly that was very similar to what Lamar is doing right now.  This could be a single peak year for Lamar (I think he will still be very good just not sure he will match this peak again) similar to that peak year for Vick.

Vick was past his prime by that point after wasting years. Jackson hasn't even entered his prime yet. 

I was taking "peak years" as actual production peak not in their career prime age years.  Based on your comment you meant it differently. 
I just mean Vick's peak may have lasted longer if he wasn't so old by the time that Eagle's season happened. Hard to say.

I just mean Vick's peak may have lasted longer if he wasn't so old by the time that Eagle's season happened. Hard to say.
As has been stated in here, what Lamar is doing is historical so I would guess that he will taper off even if he hasn't hit his "prime" yet.   Vick was always a solid FF asset even if his real football performance wasn't there.  Lamar and Vick are obvious comps and Lamar will be a great FF asset until his speed drops.  Lamar does have a chance to fly way past Vick if his passing keeps developing.  Lamar has also had (to this point) a coach that is playing to his strengths rather than trying to change him into something he is not.  I am not sure if Vick had that same luxury during his development. 

As has been stated in here, what Lamar is doing is historical so I would guess that he will taper off even if he hasn't hit his "prime" yet.   Vick was always a solid FF asset even if his real football performance wasn't there.  Lamar and Vick are obvious comps and Lamar will be a great FF asset until his speed drops.  Lamar does have a chance to fly way past Vick if his passing keeps developing.  Lamar has also had (to this point) a coach that is playing to his strengths rather than trying to change him into something he is not.  I am not sure if Vick had that same luxury during his development. 
vick is a good comp but man i have seen more from lamars arm this season than anything i recall from vick.  lamar > vick already 

vick is a good comp but man i have seen more from lamars arm this season than anything i recall from vick.  lamar > vick already 
Vick's arm was much better than Lamar's.   Vick was not very accurate and never really developed that (that could be due to a prison sentence hindering that development) accuracy.  It is obvious Lamar has worked on that over the off season but I also think the coaching staff deserves a ton of credit for giving him complimentary weapons to his strengths and developing the offense that also plays well to his strengths.  I agree as an all around QB Lamar is well on his way to passing up Vick and has probably done so already if he keeps at this level.  My only concern is he has played basically one full NFL season.  Things can change in a hurry.

As a Louisville guy, I don't attempt an objective analysis of LJ too often, as my bias is off the charts. However, I made a comment in this past Sunday's game thread that sums up my opinion pretty well.

I stated that while LJ has "off the charts" level athleticism, I honestly believe that his greatest asset is his field awareness. This plays a very large role in his ability to run, as he seems to have a "bubble" around him that aids in his elusiveness; also resulting in lesser punishment from taking big hits (in most cases - some of his designed runs do expose him to larger hits).

This is also demonstrated in his exceptionally low turnover rate. Outside of week 4 (Cle) & 5 (@Pit) he has no turnovers this year that I am aware of. Last year, he totaled only 4 interceptions, but I am not sure if he had any fumbles resulting in a turnover.

Finally, if my hypothesis is true, then I see no reason that he will not continue to improve as a pocket passer. I played QB at the high school level, and for me, the most difficult thing was awareness while under pressure. It is one thing to have a strong and accurate arm in warm ups and throwing drills, however, it is quite another to keep everything in focus while the walls are collapsing. LJ handles the collapsing pocket while keeping his wits as well as any QB I have ever watched.

The sky is the limit, though I do acknowledge the higher than average injury risk. As a FF manager, I am willing to take that risk. I am also glad that the Ravens are willing to take the risk as well. I also believe that his exceptional awareness mitigates some of the risk, but not all of it.

As a Louisville guy, I don't attempt an objective analysis of LJ too often, as my bias is off the charts. However, I made a comment in this past Sunday's game thread that sums up my opinion pretty well.

I stated that while LJ has "off the charts" level athleticism, I honestly believe that his greatest asset is his field awareness. This plays a very large role in his ability to run, as he seems to have a "bubble" around him that aids in his elusiveness; also resulting in lesser punishment from taking big hits (in most cases - some of his designed runs do expose him to larger hits).

This is also demonstrated in his exceptionally low turnover rate. Outside of week 4 (Cle) & 5 (@Pit) he has no turnovers this year that I am aware of. Last year, he totaled only 4 interceptions, but I am not sure if he had any fumbles resulting in a turnover.

Finally, if my hypothesis is true, then I see no reason that he will not continue to improve as a pocket passer. I played QB at the high school level, and for me, the most difficult thing was awareness while under pressure. It is one thing to have a strong and accurate arm in warm ups and throwing drills, however, it is quite another to keep everything in focus while the walls are collapsing. LJ handles the collapsing pocket while keeping his wits as well as any QB I have ever watched.

The sky is the limit, though I do acknowledge the higher than average injury risk. As a FF manager, I am willing to take that risk. I am also glad that the Ravens are willing to take the risk as well. I also believe that his exceptional awareness mitigates some of the risk, but not all of it.
You make a great point with the field awareness. It's not only what gets you extra yards, it as you said helps find safe outs to avoid big hits.  Not a QB, but Barry Sanders also had a lot of that.

I am in complete agreement.  I alluded to this point in a previous post but not nearly as concise.  The term of "field awareness" is perfect to describe how he runs and avoids hits.  Compare that to RG3 who took a ton of punishment running because he didn't have that awareness.  That is why I agree that Lamar is not your typical running QB so he seems to have less injury risk because of it. 

I am in complete agreement.  I alluded to this point in a previous post but not nearly as concise.  The term of "field awareness" is perfect to describe how he runs and avoids hits.  Compare that to RG3 who took a ton of punishment running because he didn't have that awareness.  That is why I agree that Lamar is not your typical running QB so he seems to have less injury risk because of it. 
Thnx. I agree with the RGIII point. And, to take that "awareness" beyond just running; in the same game thread I mentioned above, I compared him to D. Watson. In that game, Watson showed off the charts athleticism as well. However, on one particular play, his ability to stay on his feet (from his athleticism) actually backfired on him, because he lost his focus and threw the ball straight into a Balt defender's hands. I am not saying that Watson has bad awareness. I am saying that his awareness failed him on that play. LJ does not lose his focus in that way very often. And, it should improve as the game slows down for him.

Further, awareness plays a much larger role in the passing game than is often cited. People most often talk about the ability to absorb a playbook and then read the defense while going through the progression. This skips what may be the most important part; awareness of the environment. One cannot "read" what they are not "aware" of. Worse, if one is not aware of the actual environment, then one is more likely to assume it corresponds to the "X's & O's" that has been committed to mental & body memory through repetitive practice.

I believe that many QB's are unfairly criticized for their ability to "read" a def. Often, when they are aware, they read perfectly fine. However, in the heat of the game, awareness breaks down, and bad decisions are made not from a bad "read", but from reading faulty data caused by awareness gaps. LJ exceles in this type of awareness as well. He is not overly reliant on the "virtual reality" of a highly practiced play. While it is very important to have this "virtual reality memory" skill (most often demonstrated when the pass is made before a receiver even makes the break in order to get open); it is more important to be aware in order to both avoid mistakes and capitalize on opportunities.

Further, when you are a running QB, this awareness transfers over to the run option plays. So, even before we get to the up-close awareness of eluding defenders, a QB like LJ has a multitude of potential advantages long term, even if his running game is taken away or limited ... which makes him even more difficult to counteract for D coordinators. 

I gotta take a walk. Thnx for the LJ talk. I'll prolly think of more.

Users who are viewing this thread