What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (1 Viewer)

Really? Do we know he is a horrible passer? Are you sure? Guessing his college tape showed this? Or are you going by his preseason tape? I seem to remember a pretty good deep ball and leaving someone like John Brown one on one could be an issue if you're wrong. Can't judge the kid based off preseason tape he was learning a pro playbook and trying to absorb it all. Much different than a college playbook and maybe he's not there yet but I would scout more from the college tape than his preseason tape to be fair of what he could be. 

And if he was that horrible waisting a first round pick on a QB that can't throw is an awful decision by maybe one of the best GM's of our time.
In college, he was OK at hitting open guys but struggled to hit guys who were tightly covered in stride. There's a reason why he never completed even 60% of his passes in any college season and only 50% of his preseason passes. His legs opened things up in college, but in the NFL, he'll be taking on much better and faster athletes and if he can't fit balls into tight windows, it won't fly like it did in college.

Whether it was a wasted pick won't be determined in year one. When he was drafted, he was viewed as a developmental project with a huge ceiling, and that's why a QB with that "upside" wasn't taken until the end of the first round and more NFL ready QBs were drafted in the early part of the first round like they should be. The kid's ceiling is undeniable if he develops, but I think it's wishful thinking to think he's ready for it now.

The whole 50% in college is more like high 57% and lots of factors that go into that which has been hashed and debated earlier. Fair points but when will he be ready? When do they decide that getting him experience outweighs the risk of his development? Year one? two? maybe three? Guess it's which school of thought you belong too.  GM's and coaches don't get three years to develop first round QBs even late first round QB's. Baltimore is in a different position a GM leaving the organization selected Jackson.

Do they find a coach to fit Jackson without seeing what they have in a real NFL game against a real NFL defense?  I find it very unlikely they sit him for the season they need to start his development sooner than later now that Flacco is injured which is the key to all of this.  Flacco gave the Ravens the ability to sit Jackson and bring him along slower but even then I'm sure there was a plan for Jackson if the Ravens started losing and were out of the playoff hunt. If the debate is between Flacco and Jackson injury free and still in the playoffs then sure it's Flacco. If Flacco is injured and can't play does RGIII give you a better chance to win? I don't think so but that is an opinion. I think ownership and new GM Eric Decosta are going to want to get Jackson out there especially if they are out of the playoffs and know they are firing Harbaugh. Getting the right coaching staff will be important and seeing what they have and more important letting others see what they have is just another piece of the puzzle. I could be wrong won't be the first or last time but I think there could be a better than 50% chance he could be a difference maker down the stretch for fantasy teams making a run at championships.
Under 60% completion % in college is awful. 50% in the preseason isn't much to write home about either. And he's only throw 12 NFL passes in almost exclusively garbage time. He's a runner, not a QB just yet, and that's how they've used him.

Whether he'd give them a better chance to win than Griffin right now is very, very debatable. I have no idea what Griffin would really bring to the table, only that he got rave reviews about his changed attitude and performance in the preseason. I'm not getting into that anymore and I dont dispute Jackson's upside. If the Ravens had 2 or 3 wins, give the kid some time maybe. But a win keeps them in the wild card hunt and there's been no indication that Jackson can do anythjng at an NFL level other than run the ball. That might score a few fantasy points, but it won't win games and I doubt the Ravens are throwing in the towel just yet.

I have no idea when he'd be ready. Maybe he is. Maybe next year. Maybe never. It'll all come down to if/when he becomes at least an adequate NFL passer.

Steelers4life, your team’s rivalry with the Steelers notwithstanding, you have some grudge against Jackson.  What gives?

Personally, any player that draws comparisons to Michael Vick, I cannot wait to watch.

Steelers4life, your team’s rivalry with the Steelers notwithstanding, you have some grudge against Jackson.  What gives?

Personally, any player that draws comparisons to Michael Vick, I cannot wait to watch.
Nah, I don't hate Jackson at all and I think in time that he could be a great QB if he learns to throw the ball at an NFL level.  He'll be exciting to watch regardless, but he was sure easy to defend when he came into the game against the Steelers. They knew he wouldn't/couldn't pass the ball and considering how easy it could've been for him to run a play action fake against a stacked box, I was surprised they didn't even try it. Has nothing to do with the Steelers/Ravens thing. Personally, I hope they start Jackson because I don't think he gives them the best chance to win.

Compare him to Michael Vick if you want to, but I wonder why Vick was drafted 1st overall and Jackson slipped to 32nd. And you might go back and look at what Vick did in his first 8 games of 2001.... he wasn't ready either and it wasn't pretty. That's why I said that if I were the Ravens, I'd start him only if I'm out of the race or giving up on it.

Again, I don't dislike him. But I don't think there's anything about his profile that says he's ready to be an NFL QB - at least not if the team has any aspirations of being a playoff team still. If they just want to excite people, sure.

Who on earth would compare Jackson to Vick?

matuski said:
Who on earth would compare Jackson to Vick?
Vick's my best comp. Vick's arm was a lot stronger and he had a more compact build. But Jackson at Louisville reminded me of Vick and Tech. 

Vick's my best comp. Vick's arm was a lot stronger and he had a more compact build. But Jackson at Louisville reminded me of Vick and Tech. 
I still lean Cunningham (I haven't done any film review between the two, though I watched every snap of Randall's Eagles career). FWIW, Cunningham was a career 58.1% passer in college (best year 62%) but by PFR's numbers improved to just below a league-average passer by advanced completion percentage as a pro. And "just below league-average" was still enough to yield five straight top-2 fantasy finishes.

I'm not confident Jackson can follow the Cunningham path to stardom, but nor do I have any reason to dismiss it out of hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 4h4 hours ago

Ravens' QB Lamar Jackson expected to make his first NFL start for Joe Flacco, who won't need hip surgery, per sources:

:popcorn:

I’ve picked him up in every league I can. You just never know - sure wish I had this game on TV. We couldn’t ask for a better matchup in game 1.

Anyone starting him? I have him in 4/5 leagues and am only starting him in one ESPN league over Rivers. 

I’m excited to watch him play. He’s looked good in limited roles. The saints game comes to mind. 

Anyone starting him? I have him in 4/5 leagues and am only starting him in one ESPN league over Rivers. 

I’m excited to watch him play. He’s looked good in limited roles. The saints game comes to mind. 
Only league I seriously considered starting was over Stafford, but I am still in the hunt for the playoffs and decided his first start was just too dicey for me to use him this week.

I’m starting him in two leagues. One where I play qb roulette each week so it’s really just over WW guys. The other is over Trubisky.

cockroach said:
45 rushing yds.  He'll be fantasy gold until he inevitably goes down.  
I remember the Colts beating the Dolphins in 1975 in Miami and only threw the ball 14 times comleting 6.  The Colts were without an injured Bert Jones at QB (4/10 before leaving the game early) and Marty Domres only threw the ball 4 times for the entire game.  The Colts ran the ball 43 times for 180 yards and 4 TDS.    Total manhandled the great Dolphins defense by their offensive line.  The Dolphins led 14-2 before the Colts OL took over the game and dominated the 2nd half winning 33-17

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

If you believe in QB wins... #Ravens QB Lamar Jackson is now 1-0 as a starter. He goes 13 of 19 for 150 yards passing with an INT while adding 117 yards rushing. Solid debut.

No he is. You can't make a living running as an NFL QB. Sooner than later, you'll get broken in half. He took 2 shots to the helmet that game. One from a player the other when his head bounced off the ground. It's NFL 2018 and look at the best teams. All have accurate, passing QBs. that's what you need to win consistently. This guys a novelty. WQhen you come out of college and you're cons are reading D's and accuracy, you will fail.

Flips it rather than throws it
Sails throws that can end up in hands of a safety
Low release point leads to tipped passes
Typically gets through reads 1 and 2 before halting progressions
Pocket awareness has room for improvement
Move accuracy on rollouts and scrambles is poor
Highly inaccurate with throws on the move throughout the 2017 season
Underthrown deep balls allow cornerbacks to play the ball
Lacks touch over the heads of middle linebackers into intermediate pockets
Turnover total still too high

Running will not fix the above.

As a Ravens fan glad he got it done today for us but he’s not even close to ready to take over the starting job once Flacco comes back.

Kurdos to him for winning, but that's not a recipe for success, fantasy or otherwise. If he can't get defenses to respect passes more than 10 yards downfield, it's not going to end well for him until he does. He's a raw rookie, and he looked like one today, and his usage tells us exactly how ready the Ravens think he is to handle a normal gameplan.

Lucky for him, the Bengals were very, very accommodating as a first opponent.

Kurdos to him for winning, but that's not a recipe for success, fantasy or otherwise. If he can't get defenses to respect passes more than 10 yards downfield, it's not going to end well for him until he does. He's a raw rookie, and he looked like one today, and his usage tells us exactly how ready the Ravens think he is to handle a normal gameplan.

Lucky for him, the Bengals were very, very accommodating as a first opponent.
Oakland could be a very accommodating 2nd opponent.

Users who are viewing this thread