What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (6 Viewers)

I would no doubt take a chance on him. His athletic ability is off the charts. That can’t be taught. Throwing motions, mechanics and playbooks can be.

Guarantee you the Dolphins won’t draft him though. 

Idiots. 

Matt Waldman makes a really-interesting case for Lamar Jackson as the best QB from this draft in this podcast.

https://twitter.com/FtblSickness/status/976557653034901504

Ryan Burns‏ @FtblSickness

The @TheBrownsNote QB series. More to come. Baker Mayfield with @_PeteSmith_: https://brownsnote.podbean.com/e/the-browns-note-podcast-episode-49-pete-smith-the-case-for-baker-mayfieldtrench-report/ … Sam Darnold with @BrendanLeister: https://brownsnote.podbean.com/e/the-browns-note-podcast-episode-50-joe-thomas-retirementthe-case-for-sam-darnold/

Lamar Jackson with @MattWaldman:

1:34 PM - 21 Mar 2018

I certainly understand doing due diligence, but using one of their private workout spots on Jackson when they have Watson is a bit odd, no?
O'Brien is a BB guy and the belief is BB uses many of these pre-draft visits not so much for now but later in the players career when the player may become available...

I certainly understand doing due diligence, but using one of their private workout spots on Jackson when they have Watson is a bit odd, no?
Well when you've got the opportunity to upgrade a position, you have to consider it and do your due diligence.  

Boston said:
O'Brien is a BB guy and the belief is BB uses many of these pre-draft visits not so much for now but later in the players career when the player may become available...
Indeed, wasn't BB just at Bradley Chubb's pro day the other day? And told Chubb something like "we won't be in a position to draft you?"

Indeed, wasn't BB just at Bradley Chubb's pro day the other day? And told Chubb something like "we won't be in a position to draft you?"
It wasn't just Chubb's pro day, it was the N.C. State pro day. There were several players there who will be drafted, not just Chubb.

NFL Media's Mike Mayock reports NFL teams are having a difficult time scheduling Louisville QB Lamar Jackson for workouts and visits.

This was backed up by other reports. Jackson elected to not hire an agent during the draft process and was the only top quarterback to do so. His mother is handling his pre-draft process as an advisor. NFL agents take 1% to 2% of a client's contract, and that fee is absolutely worth it for a quarterback prospect. It would allow him to not worry about the small details. It is a troubling development, as comfort level in a quarterback prospect is vital for NFL teams.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter 

Mar 29 - 11:19 AM

Pete Smith‏ @_PeteSmith_ 2h2 hours ago

Give Lamar Jackson 2 years on a team that wants him to be successful and is committed to doing it. Playable in a year, better in year 3, Giannis Antetekounmpo in year 4?

https://twitter.com/SigmundBloom/status/979416909010604033

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloomb FollowFollow @SigmundBloom

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Mark Kaboly

I'm excited about Tomlin's excitement

Sigmund Bloom added,

Mark KabolyVerified account @MarkKaboly

Mike Tomlin was quite excited talking about checking out Lamar Jackson at today’s Louisville Pro Day.

10:56 AM - 29 Mar 2018

--------------------------------

Steve Palazzolo‏Verified account @PFF_Steve Mar 20

Only 27 percent of Lamar Jackson's career rushing yards came on scrambles. 73 percent came through the designed running game. He was not just dropping back and running around Career: Passing yds 9,018 Scramble yds 1,286 Designed rush yds 3,520

I'm in the intrigued camp. Knocking Jackson for not running a 40 is ridiculous. I do detect, some scouts and media people are left feeling jilted at the alter of "drafturbation." Outside of anything that could be gleaned from an interview, the resume is a finished document; and given the gotcha-chucklehead treatment Guice received in his interviews, don't even bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Jordan Schultz of Yahoo Sports, Louisville QB Lamar Jackson's draft stock is trending "upward."

In fact, the consensus is that Jackson will go in the first round. Schultz mentioned the Cardinals, who pick at No. 15, as a potential fit for the former Heisman Trophy winner. Arizona signed Sam Bradford to a deal this offseason but the Cardinals likely view him as a stopgap rather than a long-term solution. Jackson has drawn criticism for his low completion percentage in college, though he's also been widely praised for his athleticism and elite playmaking ability.

Source: Jordan Schultz on Twitter 

Apr 1 - 11:43 AM

I'm in the intrigued camp. Knocking Jackson for not running a 40 is ridiculous. I do detect, some scouts and media people are left feeling jilted at the alter of "drafturbation." Outside of anything that could be gleaned from an interview, the resume is a finished document; and given the gotcha-chucklehead treatment Guice received in his interviews, don't even bother.
I feel like him not running at the combine or pro day was an effort to kill the narrative that he is a super athlete and not necessarily an NFL QB.

If the Cardinals let him get by them, they are really dumb imo. Bradford can’t be relied on short term or long term. Then in rounds 2 and 3, get some weapons like:

My initial initial thought why Jackson didn't run the 40 is it might lesson the talk about being switched to WR.

If he ran a 4.35, that's just more hypothetical fuel for those who might look at him as a WR prospect.

Or maybe his practice 40s weren't up to his perceived times & he decided to let perception rule the day.

Who knows.

I think he goes at # 13 or #14.  Not to those teams though.  I suspect a trade to get ahead of ARI.   GB or WAS can move down and still get a player that fills their needs. 

I could easily see LA Chargers moving up from #17 to #13.  They could use some excitement and Rivers only has 2 more years on contract (and 2019 is only a $7m dead cap hit).  Plenty of time to fix perceived technique problems with Jackson and great insurance for a Rivers injury.  The Skins can still get Payne or Guice at #17.  Both fill major needs for them. 

Brunell4MVP said:
I could easily see LA Chargers moving up from #17 to #13.  They could use some excitement and Rivers only has 2 more years on contract (and 2019 is only a $7m dead cap hit).  Plenty of time to fix perceived technique problems with Jackson and great insurance for a Rivers injury.  The Skins can still get Payne or Guice at #17.  Both fill major needs for them. 
I hope you are wrong. Rivers has said he wants to play more than just two more years, and he played really well last year, so there is no reason to want to replace him.

Drafting Jackson would waste at least a couple of his cheap contract years on the bench behind Rivers. And it would prevent the Chargers from adding a needed starter with their first round pick, whether DT, FS, or possibly RT.

And trading up to draft him would be even worse, since they would have to give up other valuable draft capital.

Besides, they just signed Geno Smith!

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein believes that Louisville QB Lamar Jackson is the most underrated quarterback in the draft.

"The word 'elite' is thrown around quite haphazardly these days, but it's an apt description of Jackson's athletic ability," Zierlein writes. The analyst voiced his confusion over the fact that Jackson has yet to draw any sort of real top-10 or top-15 buzz and notes that Houston's ability to integrate Deshaun Watson into their offense last year despite his being a somewhat non-conventional quarterback is encouraging for Jackson's prospects so long as he lands with a team which understands how to best utilize his sky-high talents. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom has been pounding the drum for the Louisville dynamo throughout the process, ranking him as his No. 2 quarterback in the class behind only UCLA's Josh Rosen.

Source: NFL.com 

Apr 11 - 3:07 PM

I came across this interesting graphic that shows Lamar Jackson had the fewest percentage of his passes thrown behind the LOS which are usually high percentage throws which would pad a QBs overall completion percentage.

Josh Allen has the second lowest percentage of his passes behind the LOS, but still more than Jackson.

LINK

Increasingly, I find myself wishing the Bills sit tight and grab Jackson at 12. I don't see it happening, but I would love it.

Heard this stat the other day and it kind if blew my mind: Jackson had more rushing yards, more rushing TDs and a higher ypc than Sasquan Barkley in the same number of games. Barkely is talked about as one of the top RB prospects in a long time and Jackson outproduced him as a QB. 

Add in that he's a pretty good passer with the ability to read defenses and throw with timing and he has some tools to be a true franchise player.

Increasingly, I find myself wishing the Bills sit tight and grab Jackson at 12. I don't see it happening, but I would love it.

Heard this stat the other day and it kind if blew my mind: Jackson had more rushing yards, more rushing TDs and a higher ypc than Sasquan Barkley in the same number of games. Barkely is talked about as one of the top RB prospects in a long time and Jackson outproduced him as a QB. 

Add in that he's a pretty good passer with the ability to read defenses and throw with timing and he has some tools to be a true franchise player.
I think Jackson should go before the Bills get to pick, but if he does make it to them, I worry that they don't want to adjust their offense to a mobile QB. I am not even sure Jackson needs an offensive adjustment to be successful, but I see him typecast that way.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan passes along that he's talked with "more than a few sources" who "really like" Louisville QB Lamar Jackson.

Raanan believes that five quarterbacks will be drafted within the first 20 picks -- those five presumably being Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield and Jackson. Should matters play out in that fashion, with a flurry of quarterbacks taken early, that would open the door to the real possibility that we see six quarterbacks off the board by the end of Day 1, as Mason Rudolph or Kyle Lauletta could end up sneaking in just simply due to positional scarcity. All drafts are hyped up, but we suspect this one might have enough twists and turns to make M. Night Shyamalan proud.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter 

Apr 20 - 2:04 PM

Lamar Jackson - QB - Player

ESPN's Jordan Raanan expects Louisville QB Lamar Jackson to be drafted in the top-20 picks.

This falls in line with pre-draft reports on Jackson. There's some concern over Jackson's NFL readiness, but multiple teams "really like" him. At least five quarterbacks are expected to be drafted on Day 1. Jackson going top-20 could allow Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph to sneak into the late first round.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Apr 20 - 5:56 PM

Boston said:
So, here is my simple question about Jackson...why would he not be able to do what Michael Vick did when he got to the NFL?  Legit question and hoping for some detailed responses on this, not simply ones based on being pro or anti Jackson...when you read the “experts” they are all over the map about him...in 2 QB leagues a guy like this is just so intriguing...if you hit on him it really can change the complexion of your roster but to get him you will probably have to pass him on some very good prospects at other positions...

Have you read this thread?  Do you think people are for or against Jackson because of him as a person as opposed to a player? 

I’ve put my position out there.  He’s wildly inaccurate, even moreso than Allen, to the point where some of his misses are comical.  He can’t read Ds and he makes some really bad decisions.  His legs are what give him value.  IMO he’s roughly comparable to Kaepernick’s game.  One of the ACC coaches who has been in the business for a while has said he knew Watson would succeed in the NFL because of his game, and has stated that Jackson will fail because of what he’s incapable of as a QB.  He laid out his position very well.

I find it particularly odd that all the other high level QBs in this draft are getting raked over and picked apart as to why they will fail while Jackson keeps getting pumped up and put forth as the best QB in this draft as the pre-draft hype had built despite what I see as some very large and likely unfixable holes in his game.  Why is that I wonder (said sarcastically)?

Users who are viewing this thread