What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (1 Viewer)

I just went ahead and drafted them both. I wanted Lamar for sure so traded back from 1.10 to 2.3 to take him. Then grabbed Mayfield with my 2.10. It was coinflip between Mayfield and Rosen for me. I kind of with I went Rosen now since he's safer than Mayfield, and Lamar is my high upside risk guy. But I guess that's a different thread.... Go Lamar! 
I went a similar route in a couple of leagues.  I drafted Lamar early second.  Then a couple of picks later snagged Mayfield or Rosen (have Jackson twice and Mayfield/Rosen once each).  Wanted Jackson for the upside, the other two were close to a coin toss for me but like having the "safety" of a more "conventional" qb.

Could very well be bias because I can’t stand Mayfield but I would take Lamar over him. 

But being in Baltimore is ehhh. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys can have him. I watched him in College. When you apply pressure, he implodes. So many foolish decisions to take the ball by himself and scramble backwards 10 yards.

You guys can have him. I watched him in College. When you apply pressure, he implodes. So many foolish decisions to take the ball by himself and scramble backwards 10 yards.
He'll come out of the gate like the greatest thing ever once he's QB and then after teams get enough film, he'll be done and Baltimore will be looking for a QB again. Everyone will go wow, look at that 28 yard TD run. So if you fall for it, trade him after about 3 games to a weak owner.

I really think the most important thing with this guy will be him staying healthy. If I was the Ravens I would be working on sliding form and looking at Russell Wilson tape to see how he avoids taking the big hits that catch up with other mobile qbs. Even guys like Mariota and Wentz who are more typical pocket passers get nicked up or worse from taking big hits while scrambling.
All of Lamar Jacksons TDs    If you watch this you will see that Lamar was very very good at not taking  big hits in college when he ran the ball.  Remains to be seen how that translates to the NFL.  The big hits he took where mostly  when the OL broke down which was quite often.  Louisville had some HORRIBLE  O lines while Lamar was there.  

Tighter passing windows. Bigger, faster linebackers. Good luck, Lamar. It's cool because you could see a decent wildcat formation with Lamar and Collins. But you're not going to win a championship with that style of offense. Unless the Ravens build a miraculous defense out of nowhere.

Which admittedly, would be pretty cool. I think the Ravens will go out and draft a true #1 WR next year. For awhile there, RG3 was putting up some HUGE fantasy stats. I think it's amazing the sustainability Cam Newton has had with his numbers. He's the blueprint.

Tighter passing windows. Bigger, faster linebackers. Good luck, Lamar. It's cool because you could see a decent wildcat formation with Lamar and Collins. But you're not going to win a championship with that style of offense.
They aren't going to win a championship with an offense that no one has said they are going to install?  Well, that's a bummer.  

All of Lamar Jacksons TDs    If you watch this you will see that Lamar was very very good at not taking  big hits in college when he ran the ball.  Remains to be seen how that translates to the NFL.  The big hits he took where mostly  when the OL broke down which was quite often.  Louisville had some HORRIBLE  O lines while Lamar was there.  
He uses his blocking so well and runs inside a lot. I don't really see him doing that too much at the NFL level as far as some of these designed runs.

Amazing QB though. Throws the slant well. Crossing patters and corner routes. Has very good deep accuracy.

Just a really special player you don't see often.

Playing the entire second half, Lamar Jackson completed 4-of-10 passes for 33 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Hall-of-Fame Game, adding eight rushes for 25 additional yards.

Jackson was playing with deep reserves against other deep reserves but failed to stand out. His touchdown was a simple quick out to fellow first-rounder Hayden Hurst. His pick was an ill-advised, poorly-driven pass to the inside of the numbers that needed to be out. It wasn't a performance worth drawing any sweeping conclusions over, but it's certainly not going to place any pressure on Joe Flacco, who was already entrenched for Week 1, anyways. The Ravens will take on the Rams next Thursday night.

Aug 2 - 11:30 PM

So it sounds like he didn’t look so great. Anyone that watched the game care to comment?
Did not demonstrate a great pocket presence, did not get enough air under some balls, some inaccuracy issues, maybe some decision making issues and when he did choose to run it was not as impressive as I'd have anticipated.

But for context, last pre-season, Watson was pretty under whelming and I thought Trubisky, Mahomes and even Kizer flashed earlier in preseason then Watson.

Raven's oline was getting bullied. He had no time and he looked like a rookie qb under pressure. 

I thought he looked better than he's getting credit for but he is certainly not nfl ready

He didn't look that good. He can run for sure....but passing isn't near the level it needs to be in the NFL. He will end up like RG3 or transition to WR if he is smart. Looked like Vick running....looked way worse in the passing game.

He looked mostly over-matched but since it was his first game action and a lot of his supporting cast will likely not even make the team - it's hard to really predict anything based on that one half.

I’m one of the skeptics of his passing ability, but I’m sure not going to use this game as any kind of support of my position.  Let’s see how the rest of PS shakes out at a bare minimum.

I just clicked one link that made the all too common assumption that a pass was intercepted because the QB stared down the WR  Personally, think it's :bs:   "Maybe" LJ was supposed to get the ball in their quicker so it could be a timing issue  But from what I saw it appeared the WR just stood there and let the defender pass him to catch the ball uncontested https://youtu.be/CartH3ARJ5I?t=23s

Overall I just wasn't thrilled with the play calling, For example, starting off with LJ running the ball  (Hurst appears to do a good job selling pass :loco: )  https://youtu.be/WUCP4aM0EF4?t=5s

But yeah first pre-season game  Everything is scripted and practiced for fundamentals  Hopefully the Ravens consider having LJ finish any runs feet first  Two extra yards isn't squat when ya consider the risk of injury much less penalties  (I know wishful thinking)

He didn't look that good. He can run for sure....but passing isn't near the level it needs to be in the NFL. He will end up like RG3 or transition to WR if he is smart. Looked like Vick running....looked way worse in the passing game.
So after one half..playing with mostly deep reserves in the very first game of his pro career.....you making this call.

Bold.

And you may be right. But I need to see more than last night to make broad assumptions about a highly gifted athlete and such a dynamic playmaker like Lamar Jackson.

I watched Deshaun Watson's entire college career, drafted him at 2.08 in my rookie draft last year in my one and only 15 years running dynasty league.

It was not because of the pre-season. That's for sure. It was because I have no issues taking a chance on a tremendous athlete, with a great head on their shoulder and high level leadership skills.

Lamar Jackson fits that mold. He may need a little more work than Watson did......but I expect him to be a dynamic playmaker and under center in short order. High high ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lamar Jackson completed 7-of-18 passes for 118 yards in the Ravens' second preseason game, adding five rushes for 21 yards and a touchdown.

Jackson's touchdown was a nine-yard scramble where he Houdini'd his way out of a collapsing pocket and slipped a tackle at the four-yard line. It was impressive, though Jackson is now just 11-of-28 (39.2 percent) for 151 yards (5.39 YPA) passing through his first two exhibition games. His next preseason opportunity comes against the Colts in 11 days.

Aug 9 - 11:35 PM

Lamar Jackson completed 7-of-10 passes for 98 yards and a touchdown while also contributing three carries for 39 yards and a touchdown Saturday in the Ravens’ third preseason game against the Dolphins.

Jackson was sacked once for a one-yard loss. The former Heisman Trophy winner started the third quarter after Robert Griffin III played the entire first half. This was probably the best Jackson has looked as a passer this summer as the Louisville alum led three touchdown drives before passing the torch to undrafted rookie Josh Woodrum early in the fourth quarter. Jackson broke off a highlight-reel touchdown in the third quarter, scrambling 19 yards on a run-pass option. Later he hit DeVier Posey for a 21-yard touchdown strike as Baltimore stretched its lead to 24-10 with 13:06 remaining in the fourth quarter. This was definitely a step forward for Jackson, even if most of his production came against second and third-stringers. He’ll begin the year as Joe Flacco’s backup.

Aug 25 - 10:40 PM

Lamar Jackson completed 9-of-15 passes for 109 yards in Thursday's preseason finale, adding three rushes for 25 yards and a touchdown.

Jackson was playing with backups against backups but continued his summer trend of looking better each time out. He finishes the preseason with three rushing touchdowns in five games. Jackson has established his dual-threat bonafides and then some. We would like to see Jackson make 2018 starts, but Joe Flacco is aiming to have an "angry" Alex Smith-type season.

Aug 30 - 9:38 PM

Lamar Jackson is expected to open the season as the Ravens' No. 3 quarterback.

Robert Griffin III will back up Joe Flacco to begin the season. Griffin looked like a top-35 NFL quarterback if not better during the preseason. Jackson made strides in each game he played but still must iron out come-and-go accuracy. Putting Jackson at No. 3 also lessens the urge for Joe Flacco to look over his shoulder on game days. Flacco has strong job security entering Week 1.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 2:54 PM

Seeing this guy play the preseason I have to say I am impressed especially with his running skills which I already knew coming in. His passing skills will need to improve and he will need to make better decisions, but he showed flashes of greatness in the preseason. I do think keeping RG3 was a smart move at least for now giving Jackson even more time to learn the system during practice. I wouldn't be surprised though if by the middle of the season the Ravens have a need at another position they cut ties with RG3 and just go with Jackson as the primary back up to Flacco.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Ravens have packages for Lamar Jackson in their Week 1 gameplan.

It means Jackson will be active Sunday. We wouldn't expect Jackson to have much of a role, but the Ravens could use him in some run-based sub packages. Jackson ran for 136 yards in five games this preseason.

Sep 9 - 10:16 AM

Although maybe it would be best for Jackson to sit and learn the nfl for an entire season and start next year. I just have a feeling it won’t go that smoothly this year. 

Although maybe it would be best for Jackson to sit and learn the nfl for an entire season and start next year. I just have a feeling it won’t go that smoothly this year. 
Agreed

Week 10 is their bye week but I doubt they'll be out of contention by then.

I'll stay he starts week 15 vs the bucs. Home game and a good chance for him to do something. 16 at the Chargers could be tough but he might give a better chance than Flacco.

Okay fair point on no injury, but counterpoint Flacco is terrible. 
yeah maybe, the point is that doesn't matter because ravens coaching staff thinks they can win a sb this year with Flacco. I don't see this team being bad enough to not be in playoff contention. They won't make the switch until its clear its a lost season, which I don't think will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread