What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World Cup of Hockey Thread (1 Viewer)

I don't think Hull is interested in coaching (think I read this somewhere) but why couldn't he or someone like him ONLY coach the U.S. team?  Have a guy dedicated just to that end isn't a horrible idea IMO.  He could have a couple of NHL assistants, wa la.  What player is not listening to Brett ####### Hull? 

Parise's answer there should have been, "well Leah or whatever your name is, how 'bout I crack your crease after the game?" 

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a Dean Blais - good chance he met up with these guys in USA Hockey at one point - or even Hakstol. 

Unenthused was the best term Hull came up with. Looks like they are going through the motions. 

Bylsma or Sullivan would have been a much better choice imo

Herb Brooks could have done a better job with this team. RIP

I don't think Hull is interested in coaching (think I read this somewhere) but why couldn't he or someone like him ONLY coach the U.S. team?  Have a guy dedicated just to that end isn't a horrible idea IMO.  He could have a couple of NHL assistants, wa la.  What player is not listening to Brett ####### Hull? 
Brett Hull is a cheater. 

Weren't Hull and Chelios on a really disappointing Olympic team?

This tourney is so stacked that it's hard for me to be too critical of this team. 

Brett Hull is a cheater. 
Isn't that what we need though Rude?  Isn't it?  Not gonna beat these dirty Canucks by playing straight up. 

I know nothing of his broadcasting but have always thought of Hull as not too bright, at least that was his reputation in his playing days. 

Hull's pre-game speech: 

I'm Brett Hull and I scored more game winning goals than Wayne ####### Gretzky.  Look it up #####es, now get out there and win one for 'Murica!  

Weren't Hull and Chelios on a really disappointing Olympic team?

This tourney is so stacked that it's hard for me to be too critical of this team. 
Yep. Nagano. They sucked and trashed their rooms I think. National embarrassment. Chelios was the captain too IIRC. 

And they left Phil kessel off this team, what a joke. Who are the effing idiots that assembled this minor league roster of guys who don't care.

Going to see the only two teams who have been eliminated.  USA/Czech on Thursday.  :kickrock:

Yep. Nagano. They sucked and trashed their rooms I think. National embarrassment. Chelios was the captain too IIRC. 
They indeed trashed their rooms that year and were indeed a national embarrassment. Kind of funny how they accuse a lackluster effort. At least they're not trashing the building. 

Hull and Chelios as hockey ambassadors of the United States is sad. Rather LaFontaine and others than those knuckleheads.  

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:  

@PKessel81

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Holy ####. :lol:

Phil KesselVerified account‏@PKessel81

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:  

@PKessel81

He would have said w my tub of ice cream, three burritos, and dog but there weren't enough characters available. 

He should have been on the team though all joking aside, seems weird he wasn't. 

Hull and Chelios as hockey ambassadors of the United States is sad.  
Why?  Hull is probably the greatest American player and Chelios was a beast.  They are embarrassments because they trashed a hotel?  ok, good talk. 

Why?  Hull is probably the greatest American player and Chelios was a beast.  They are embarrassments because they trashed a hotel?  ok, good talk. 
Hull probably wouldn't have been on this team - Torts hates his style - need to be a shot blocking, corner cycling yes man animal

He would have said w my tub of ice cream, three burritos, and dog but there weren't enough characters available. 

He should have been on the team though all joking aside, seems weird he wasn't. 
They should have had Johnson/Faulk/Shattenkirk, likely others too but Kessel is just baffling to me.

I know his conditioning is likely roughly on par with mine but he was US best player in Sochi, just played a key part on a Stanley Cup winning team and by any cumulative stat over the last several years, the best American offensive player other than Kane.

Hull just claimed he was Canadian tonight during the broadcast. Weird guy. Chelios can eat a bag of ##### as far as I'm concerned. Two goons on a broadcast. But I guess both former Wings, so...

You might not see it that way, but I do. 

Hull just claimed he was Canadian tonight during the broadcast. Weird guy. Chelios can eat a bag of ##### as far as I'm concerned. Two goons on a broadcast. But I guess both former Wings, so...

You might not see it that way, but I do. 
You calling them an embarrassment means you use that word loosely. 

Let me demonstrate: Rockaction is an embarrassment to the FFA, to FBG, and to the internet.  While it's true you often embarrass yourself, it's not true you are the headliner in embarrassment at this forum.  See what I mean? 

You calling them an embarrassment means you use that word loosely. 

Let me demonstrate: Rockaction is an embarrassment to the FFA, to FBG, and to the internet.  While it's true you often embarrass yourself, it's not true you are the headliner in embarrassment at this forum.  See what I mean? 
At least I didn't call myself Canadian?  

And in all seriousness, you're using embarrassment loosely. How about a strict definition: Their performance, along with Roenick and Tkachuk, destroying an Olympic Village (Not a hotel, IIRC) was ####### embarrassing, just like that team's record in Nagano. 

So there's your embarrassment, Dr. D. A bunch of guys got beat and trashed an Olympic Village and are talking about how the U.S. should be embarrassed about grit. Well, maybe grit would have been better served on the rink those days back a few decades ago and we shouldn't condemn so much.

But certainly I embarrass myself by writing things at the FFA instead of representing my country with such class and aplomb.  

Were you born in Canada to Canadian father and American mother?

Not the biggest Brett Hull fan but he does carry dual citizenship. 
SFW? I know who Brett Hull is. So stop being so Mr. America if you're not going to stick by it. I get dual citizenship. I know what it is. Then don't sit around announcing how you were born in Canada when you start losing. 

I might seem weird to people, but he's been really weird the whole tournament. #### him, and #### the goon Chelios. 

eta* Wait, let's end this. I don't like the ESPN announcers. Enough should be said just with that phrase -- ESPN announcers. I think I'll just end it here even though I didn't really start it.  

And who cares, regardless? It's hockey! Hockey rules!

SFW? I know who Brett Hull is. So stop being so Mr. America if you're not going to stick by it. I get dual citizenship. I know what it is. Then don't sit around announcing how you were born in Canada when you start losing. 

I might seem weird to people, but he's been really weird the whole tournament. #### him, and #### the goon Chelios. 

eta* Wait, let's end this. I don't like the ESPN announcers. Enough should be said just with that phrase -- ESPN announcers. I think I'll just end it here even though I didn't really start it.  

And who cares, regardless? It's hockey! Hockey rules!
Why is this difficult for you to understand?  Like many people with multiple passports (myself included so I can relate), Brett Hull identifies primarily with one of them.  He got snubbed by Team Canada in the mid 80s and played for Team USA for his international career.  Canada's loss and mistake in hindsight.  He was born in Canada and apparently primarily identifies as Canadian.  

Why is this difficult for you to understand?  Like many people with multiple passports (myself included so I can relate), Brett Hull identifies primarily with one of them.  He got snubbed by Team Canada in the mid 80s and played for Team USA for his international career.  Canada's loss and mistake in hindsight.  He was born in Canada and apparently primarily identifies as Canadian.  
This is the dumbest argument I've ever been involved with in my time on this board. And that's saying a lot. They keep getting dumber. Brett Hull as a good announcer is a fine sword to fall on; I am glad you and Dr. D. both embarrassingly did. That makes sense for both of you.

He's awesome! More Brett Hull, please.   

We're seriously arguing over Brett Hull's competency as a studio guy?

Sheesh. 

He's all over the place -- announcing himself as an ambassador for Team USA then switching midstream to announcing he's Canadian. It's not hard for me to understand. He's just a jackass. 

So is Chelios. Always has been. How is this so embarrassingly hard for people to understand? These guys took frustrations out on Olympic housing back in the day. When everyone was having fun and sex, they were trashing the place. Good eggs.  

Okay, now I'm really out. Team USA lost anyway. Have at this wonderful thread. 

PuckDaddy piles on

The loss was a humiliation on the ice, and off, for Team USA. The World Cup was a chance for redemption after much of this team lost to Canada and then quit in a bronze medal game against Finland during the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Instead, they won’t get out of group play.

Meanwhile, NHL hockey finally returned to ESPN with the World Cup of Hockey, with visions of a potential USA vs. Canada three-game final. Instead, ESPN’s centerpiece game of the tournament was a tedious Canadian hockey clinic interrupted only by the intermission ranting of former Team USA stars Brett Hull and Chris Chelios, ladling gasoline on the fire consuming the team’s coaching and management.

American players celebrated the fact that their friends and family could finally watch them on a channel “you can find” in the United States.

One wonders how quickly they changed it to something less disappointing.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/canada-dominates-team-usa-in-world-cup-of-hockey-4-2-024536473.html

Users who are viewing this thread