What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jacoby Brissett, NEP - We think... (2 Viewers)

Jacoby Brissett (knee) has been ruled out for Week 10 against Miami.

Brissett was downgraded from questionable after a limited week of practice. He's not 100 percent after spraining his MCL, and the Colts don't need to push Brissett in a game they win without him. Brian Hoyer will start and has some stream appeal against Miami's league-worst defense. Chad Kelly was promoted from the practice squad to back up Hoyer.

Nov 9, 2019, 12:08 PM ET

Jacoby Brissett (MCL) is considered "week to week."

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Colts "hope" to have Brissett back under center next week against the Jaguars, though the team is prepared for Brian Hoyer to make "multiple starts" if need be. Brissett practiced throughout the week while battling a sprained MCL, but was ultimately ruled out ahead of Sunday's home game against the Dolphins. Hoyer is a more than capable backup, though his presence still represents a downgrade for all of Indy's pass-catchers. As they have throughout the year, expect the Colts to lean heavily on workhorse back Marlon Mack in Week 10.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 10, 2019, 9:01 AM ET

Jacoby Brissett (knee) is expected to practice in full Wednesday.

That would put Brissett on track to return to the lineup this week against the Jaguars where the Colts need a win after last week's pitiful home loss to the Dolphins. Brian Hoyer was horrendous in place of Brissett, so Indy should be doing everything it can to get Brissett back in the huddle.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Nov 13, 2019, 12:41 PM ET

Jacoby Brissett (knee) was officially named the starter for Week 11 against the Jaguars.

Brissett was able to practice in full without issues this week and will take the job back from Brian Hoyer. That's the good news. The bad news is T.Y. Hilton and Parris Campbell are both out, making Zach Pascal and Chester Rogers the top receivers for Indy. Brissett will be a low-end QB2 until Hilton returns.

SOURCE: Mike Chappell on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 1:46 PM ET

Jacoby Brissett completed 15-of-24 passes for 148 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the Colts' Week 11 win over the Jaguars.

Brissett also had a rushing touchdown on a goal-line scramble. There was some concern over how healthy Brissett was after missing time with an MCL injury, but he showed his escapability on a number of plays outside the pocket. Brissett's passing touchdown was an off-script throw where he hit Marcus Johnson in the corner of the end-zone. Brissett wasn't need to do much with the Colts rushing for 264 yards on Jacksonville. With Marlon Mack leaving with an injury, Brissett could be counted on more for a Thursday night matchup with Houston in Week 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacoby Brissett completed 16-of-25 passes for 129 scoreless yards in the Colts' 20-17, Week 12 loss to the Texans, adding four carries for 20 additional yards and a touchdown.

Facing an epically banged up pass defense, the Colts came out and ran the ball 39 times. At times it was hard to blame them, as a calf-hobbled T.Y. Hilton did not seem to be himself in his return. Brissett's touchdown was a five-yard keeper on a read option. Despite the ground score, a knee-braced Brissett was not moving overly well. With bye weeks over for Week 13, Brissett will be a low-ceiling QB2 vs. the Titans.

Nov 21, 2019, 11:51 PM ET

Jacoby Brissett completed 25-of-40 passes for 319 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions while losing a yard on his lone rushing attempt Sunday in the Colts’ Week 13 loss to the Titans.

He absorbed three sacks for a loss of 10 yards in the losing effort. Brissett got off a hot start (10-for-14, 132 yards in the first half) but faded quickly, collapsing under pressure with a pair of second-half turnovers. Both of his picks were the result of overly ambitious passes forced into tight windows. In fairness to Brissett, he didn't have much to work with Sunday as Indy played this one without the help of T.Y. Hilton (calf), Eric Ebron (ankles) and Chester Rogers, who succumbed to a first-half knee injury. By game's end, the injury-depleted Colts were rolling out Zach Pascal, Marcus Johnson and Ashton Dulin in three-wide sets. Once leading the division at 5-2, the slumping Colts are fading fast in the AFC South. Brissett and company will need to bring their A game to Tampa Bay in Week 14.

Jacoby Brissett completed 19-of-36 passes for 251 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Colts' 38-35, Week 14 loss to the Buccaneers.

Brissett created numerous chunk gains out of thin air after avoiding pressure. He also showed off his huge right arm, hooking up with Marcus Johnson for gains of 50 and 46. Still, this was a best-case spot against the Buccaneers’ pass-funnel defense in a shootout. It’s tough to expect much more from Brissett inside of this run-first offense as long as T.Y. Hilton (calf) remains sidelined in a tougher Week 15 matchup against the Saints. Treat him as more of a boom-or-bust QB2 in that spot.

JohnnyU said:
Good backup, but he's not the answer IMO.
i think he's a fair to middling QB. he's got a decent arm. plays pretty smart most games. when he's got the full complement of starters then he's a pretty good QB because he's not going to make a bonehead play usually.  

i think he's a fair to middling QB. he's got a decent arm. plays pretty smart most games. when he's got the full complement of starters then he's a pretty good QB because he's not going to make a bonehead play usually.  
I'd much rather have Trevor Lawrence :)

Then they need to cut Brisket, bring in a totally incompetents QB and go for O next season. Only one team is gonna hit the Trevor Lawrence jackpot.
Well, ,they did hit the jackpot with Peyton Manning and thought they hit the jackpot with Andrew Luck, so anything is possible I guess.

Then they need to cut Brisket, bring in a totally incompetents QB and go for O next season. Only one team is gonna hit the Trevor Lawrence jackpot.
I’m sure Curtis Painter is available and his contract would be very team friendly 

JohnnyU said:
Mediocre to slightly less than mediocre.
Not sure why they extended him. He hasn't impressed me at all this year, despite having one of the NFL's best offensive minds calling plays. If anything he's just shown how great Luck was. I'm not sure they weren't better off with Hoyer.

Going forward, I think Brissett should be a backup, and that is it. He's one of the few starting QB's that I wouldn't trade Trubisky for.

ETA: If I were Indy, I'd be very interested in Tua if he were to fall to them, even if he might need a redshirt year. 

The trade of Dorsett for Brissett was still a good trade for the Colts, but he isn't the answer.  A fine backup and that is it.  As I stated earlier, if Tua falls, take him, and like Travdogg said, redshirt him if they have to. 

Not sure why they extended him. He hasn't impressed me at all this year, despite having one of the NFL's best offensive minds calling plays. If anything he's just shown how great Luck was. I'm not sure they weren't better off with Hoyer.

Going forward, I think Brissett should be a backup, and that is it. He's one of the few starting QB's that I wouldn't trade Trubisky for.

ETA: If I were Indy, I'd be very interested in Tua if he were to fall to them, even if he might need a redshirt year. 
Backup?

He’s a good but not great QB. He isn’t the “put the team on my back and carry them” type (few are) he needs the pieces around him to be healthy. He played well when he had his guys and he doesn’t turn the ball over much.

Plus this is just his 1sy year as a full time starter, he obviously has room to improve.

Unless they have receivers 10 feet tall I don't agree with you.  
Completion % says otherwise. He's in the same cluster as guys like Wentz,, Brady and Rodgers this season. They're all in the bottom half of completion, fwiw. These are all guys struggling with lesser talent in their respective passing games. 

I'm a half full glass kind of guy. He's been just fine even if mostly unremarkable. He's done a good job given the circumstances. Hopefully they'll build more around him and we'll all see what he's capable of. The clock is ticking though.

Brissett is NOT the franchise QB...period!!  If they can get Tua, do it.  I don't know much about Herbert.  Jordan Love got charged with possession of weed, so he's probably not an option.  If the Colts can't get either Tua or Herbert, they should probably wait a year, but it would be nice to draft someone now and have him sit behind Brissett for a year.  If the Colts pass on a QB in the first round they must select a high end WR, such as Cee Dee Lamb.  

Brissett is NOT the franchise QB...period!!  If they can get Tua, do it.  I don't know much about Herbert.  Jordan Love got charged with possession of weed, so he's probably not an option.  If the Colts can't get either Tua or Herbert, they should probably wait a year, but it would be nice to draft someone now and have him sit behind Brissett for a year.  If the Colts pass on a QB in the first round they must select a high end WR, such as Cee Dee Lamb.  
i see them going WR before a QB, honestly. they had one of the worst WR corps in the league already but it was worse somehow with Hilton out. they can win the division with something other than a patchwork offense. draft another QB who can develop behind Brissett for a couple of seasons. no one views him as a "franchise" QB but you can win with him. you can build around him and make a run at a SB.

JACOBY BRISSETT QB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Speaking Sunday, Colts owner Jim Irsay said "all options are on the table" at quarterback.

"I would just say all options are open," was Irsay's response when asked if the team was open to signing one of this year's many veteran free agents under center. Irsay did the best he could to boost Jacoby Brissett, saying he remained "on the rise," but stopped well short of saying he will be the team's most likely option at quarterback. "We're open minded but there's a lot of ways this thing could turn," Irsay said. Brissett was thrust into the Colts' 2019 starting job on short notice and dealt with a huge wave of injuries, but he was a bottom-tier starter in the first year of the post-Andrew Luck era.

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter

Feb 23, 2020, 2:36 PM ET

not for long
I have to agree that they are bringing someone in (Rivers I’d bet) but was Jacoby really that bad all of last year? I admit I didn’t watch much of his game but statistically speaking, his pace before injury was 3600/32/7, then everything kind of fell apart. Granted, franchise QBs need to find a way to make it work in times of adversity (Brady and Wentz made it happen with very little in the way of weapons) but it seems like, as Irsay said today, they were better off with Brissett than half the league is with their QB situations

Carr being talked up a bit should he become available.  Don’t see Rivers given his age. Ultimately expect Colts to draft QB if someone on Ballard’s wish list is there.  

Colts OC Nick Sirianni wants Jacoby Brissett to get rid of the ball quicker in 2020.

Brissett was amongst the league's three slowest passers to throw in 2019, taking an average of 2.96 seconds. "He always knew where to go with the football, and then we just speed that up a little bit," Sirianni said. "Yes, you knew where to go with the football; let's get there just a little bit quicker, just a little bit quicker, just a little bit quicker." Sirianni believes it is something that will improve with experience. The odds that Brissett returns as starter seem no better than 50-50, but Sirianni is not incorrect there was much in his 2019 to build on.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Mar 5, 2020, 3:41 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Colts intend to keep Jacoby Brissett.

Brissett is viewed as a "special guy" and they want him in the building even with Philip Rivers signed to a big contract. It's unlikely that any NFL team sees Brissett as a franchise quarterback, so getting meaningful compensation for Brissett on the trade market would be difficult, especially with Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, and Andy Dalton available. Brissett has averaged 6.6 yards per attempt in both of his seasons as an NFL starter.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Mar 21, 2020, 4:03 PM ET

Jacoby looked good in preseason and had lots of drops last week. He threw what should've been a 30 yard TD pass that Parker dropped, had them to the 5 yard line when Grant fumbled.  They passed up 2 FGs.There were a total of 6 drops, I thing 5 were from his passes. He extended several plays, better than Tua would've.  Like @Ministry of Painsaid, Miami has weapons, the issue is whether the oline will improve with the promotion of Liam Eichenberg as a starter. Pff gave him a respectable 72.3 grade. If he does well, what happens to Tua?

Jacoby Brissett completed 20of-30 passes for 199 yards and two touchdowns in the Dolphins' 27-17, Week 4 loss to the Colts.

Both of Brissett's touchdowns came in the fourth quarter after the Colts had already taken a three-score lead. The veteran passer finally began to take downfield shots but it was too little too late as the game had been out of reach for some time by that point. Brissett added a trio of carries for eight yards on the ground. Through a little less than three games of action, Brissett is averaging just 4.9 yards per pass attempt and is getting sacked three times per game. He gets a potentially exciting matchup with the Bucs next week but it's impossible to find a sense of optimism after watching his poor play in relief of Tua Tagoaviloa. He's a weak option at quarterback even in Superflex leagues.

Jacoby Brissett completed 26-of-43 passes for 244 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in Miami's 17-9 Week 9 win over Houston. 

Brissett was also sacked four times and, in fact, audibled into the shotgun to create one of the sacks himself and took another on a busted play. Miami got one of its touchdowns after a bizarre Tyrod Taylor pick gave them the ball on the Houston 26  Whenever the Dolphins had time to throw they were able to easily move the ball on a rough Houston secondary, but none of this should be encouraging you to want to stream Brissett if he plays on a short week against the Ravens on Thursday Night. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Steelers are "discussing the possibility" of adding impending free agent QB Jacoby Brissett. 

Steelers OC Matt Canada has experience coordinating Brissett in college, and Steelers defensive assistant Brian Flores was Brissett's head coach last season. It would be an underwhelming addition for the Steelers as Brissett has done little in his six seasons to suggest he's more than a backup. But, then again, neither has Mason Rudolph. 

RELATED: 

Pittsburgh Steelers

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mar 11, 2022, 1:36 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread