What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I LOVE Elizabeth Warren: All aboard - WOO WOO!!! (2 Viewers)

Only last week, after the latest devastating climate change report, I bemoaned how much time we were wasting discussing Colin Kaepernick. But at least that topic touches on racial injustice, which is a legitimate issue. What does this one touch upon? 

Page after page of debate about minutiae: is she 1/64 Indian or 1/1024? Did she deliberately lie? Did she claim to be Native American or Native American heritage? And apparently this is important to conservatives critical of Warren because- wait for it- honesty matters. That’s the part so have trouble writing without breaking into hysterical laughter. 
Native American, I don't think she ever claimed to be Indian.  ;)

And, yes honesty matters.  If it turned out that she had trace amounts <0.01% then I might think it deserved further scrutiny, but she has said that it was based on stories from her mother.  However, 1/64 - 1/1024 is not trace amounts, it is multiple ancestors from 7-10 generations back or a single ancestors from 6 generations back.  I like that her claimed has been verified.

Last edited by a moderator:
When people talk about race being a social construct, this is exactly what they're talking about.

Let's forget about Elizabeth Warren for a second.  I look very, very white.  My parents were white, and all my relatives are white.  I live in a white community surrounded by white people.  I've always enjoyed the privileges that come from being white, like being able to have a friendly conversation with state troopers when I get pulled over for speeding and not getting followed around by security when I go shopping.  I've been evaluated as a white person, with all that that entails.  

So I take a DNA test and it turns out that I am actually 1/512 African American.  Does that make me black?  If you're a racial essentialist who adopts a standard like the "one drop" rule, then yeah, I suppose so, but nobody outside of that little niche would see it that way.  My lived experience is that of a white person in modern America.  I've never experienced anything resembling the life of a typical black person.  If I started calling myself "black" now, I would rightly be criticized for claiming a cultural identity in the way that a person might put on a costume.

That's not the same thing as celebrating St Patricks Day because you have an Irish great-grandfather or being proud of having had a relative on the Mayflower.  Neither of those things has a price.  Being black does.  Conflating those is a category error.  You can stop being Irish after you finish your last green beer, but a black person never gets to stop being black.  

Again, I'm cool with writing of Warren's mistake here as one of ignorance.  The way we think about this sort of issue has changed quite a bit from the 1980s. 

And, yes honesty matters.  
I’ve spent a lot of time listening to Warren. I don’t always agree with her, but she is honest: she is honest about health care, and about the environment, and about the economy, and about workers and the gap in income, and about rising costs. She is honest about trade and about our international commitments.

On the above issues, honesty matters. On this issue, not so much. We don’t have time to waste. 

When people talk about race being a social construct, this is exactly what they're talking about.

Let's forget about Elizabeth Warren for a second.  I look very, very white.  My parents were white, and all my relatives are white.  I live in a white community surrounded by white people.  I've always enjoyed the privileges that come from being white, like being able to have a friendly conversation with state troopers when I get pulled over for speeding and not getting followed around by security when I go shopping.  I've been evaluated as a white person, with all that that entails.  

So I take a DNA test and it turns out that I am actually 1/512 African American.  Does that make me black?  If you're a racial essentialist who adopts a standard like the "one drop" rule, then yeah, I suppose so, but nobody outside of that little niche would see it that way.  My lived experience is that of a white person in modern America.  I've never experienced anything resembling the life of a typical black person.  If I started calling myself "black" now, I would rightly be criticized for claiming a cultural identity in the way that a person might put on a costume.

That's not the same thing as celebrating St Patricks Day because you have an Irish great-grandfather or being proud of having had a relative on the Mayflower.  Neither of those things has a price.  Being black does.  Conflating those is a category error.  You can stop being Irish after you finish your last green beer, but a black person never gets to stop being black.  

Again, I'm cool with writing of Warren's mistake here as one of ignorance.  The way we think about this sort of issue has changed quite a bit from the 1980s. 
How do you know your ancestor was American?

And, yes honesty matters.  
I’ve spent a lot of time listening to Warren. I don’t always agree with her, but she is honest: she is honest about health care, and about the environment, and about the economy, and about workers and the gap in income, and about rising costs. She is honest about trade and about our international commitments.

On the above issues, honesty matters. On this issue, not so much. We don’t have time to waste. 
Please don't partially quote me...

And in all aspects, honesty matters.  If it doesn't to you, that is fine.  But I won't stop making that point!

No that makes you 1/512 African, it means you have an ancestry link to Africa.  In other words, you are part African.  And not that far removed actually.

Only last week, after the latest devastating climate change report, I bemoaned how much time we were wasting discussing Colin Kaepernick. But at least that topic touches on racial injustice, which is a legitimate issue. What does this one touch upon? 

Page after page of debate about minutiae: is she 1/64 Indian or 1/1024? Did she deliberately lie? Did she claim to be Native American or of Native American heritage? And apparently this is important to conservatives critical of Warren because- wait for it- honesty matters. That’s the part I have trouble writing without breaking into hysterical laughter. 
Did you see the Kavanaugh thread?  How many pages were devoted to a yearbook inscription from a 17 year old? She deserves scrutiny if she lied. But it appears to be a mistake.

No that makes you 1/512 African, it means you have an ancestry link to Africa.  In other words, you are part African.  And not that far removed actually.
Yes, and if I claimed to be African American, I would be wrong.  That's the point: the DNA result isn't relevant.  

Did you see the Kavanaugh thread?  How many pages were devoted to a yearbook inscription from a 17 year old? She deserves scrutiny if she lied. But it appears to be a mistake.
Kavanaugh was accused of rape. A little bit different don’t you think? 

Can you please elaborate in detail? The Pocahantus name calling is clearly over the line. I've told people not to do that here. 

Are you seeing other racist things here? Please show me exactly what you're talking about. 
I could, but posting examples of trolling got me called a child just last night.  So I'm going to pass on this one.  Not worth it.

Yeah, these things are complicated.  My kids are 1/4 black.  They look white and mostly associate with white and Asian people.  They have both been raised Jewish.  I don't know what they're gonna put on their college applications.  I suspect their mother will want them to signal that they are minorities and they will resist. 

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 52m52 minutes ago

Pocahontas (the bad version), sometimes referred to as Elizabeth Warren, is getting slammed. She took a bogus DNA test and it showed that she may be 1/1024, far less than the average American. Now Cherokee Nation denies her, “DNA test is useless.” Even they don’t want her. Phony!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 42m42 minutes ago

Now that her claims of being of Indian heritage have turned out to be a scam and a lie, Elizabeth Warren should apologize for perpetrating this fraud against the American Public. Harvard called her “a person of color” (amazing con), and would not have taken her otherwise!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 35m35 minutes ago

Thank you to the Cherokee Nation for revealing that Elizabeth Warren, sometimes referred to as Pocahontas, is a complete and total Fraud!

Mods, please note that I am not calling anyone Pocahontas. Just quoting our racist President.

Very good post. Personally I think one of the biggest issues with race is that everyone talks about it so much.  I mean, people talk about equality and everyone being equal in one thread, and then in the next thread they talk about the “black vote” or the “Latino vote”.

The truth is that we are all humans with jumbled dna of a variety of ancestors.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/science/23andme-genetic-ethnicity-study.html

“People who identified as African-American had genes that were only 73.2 percent African. European genes accounted for 24 percent of their DNA, while .8 percent came from Native Americans.”

Yes, and if I claimed to be African American, I would be wrong.  That's the point: the DNA result isn't relevant.  
Could you described yourself as having African ancestry?  That seems reasonable...  If you were told 1/32 but turning out to be 1/64 to 1/1024 doesn't seem all that much a stretch.

I could, but posting examples of trolling got me called a child just last night.  So I'm going to pass on this one.  Not worth it.
It's worth it. "Galling" racism is a serious accusation. Exactly what are you talking about? Please cut and paste the quotes here. 

Very good post. Personally I think one of the biggest issues with race is that everyone talks about it so much.  I mean, people talk about equality and everyone being equal in one thread, and then in the next thread they talk about the “black vote” or the “Latino vote”.

The truth is that we are all humans with jumbled dna of a variety of ancestors.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/science/23andme-genetic-ethnicity-study.html

“People who identified as African-American had genes that were only 73.2 percent African. European genes accounted for 24 percent of their DNA, while .8 percent came from Native Americans.”
Interesting in that is an African-American married a full Caucasian and they had a child who married a full Caucasian and they had a child, this child would have only 18% African bloodline even though its grandparent was full African-American.  Bloodline dilutes fast.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 52m52 minutes ago

Pocahontas (the bad version), sometimes referred to as Elizabeth Warren, is getting slammed. She took a bogus DNA test and it showed that she may be 1/1024, far less than the average American. Now Cherokee Nation denies her, “DNA test is useless.” Even they don’t want her. Phony!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 42m42 minutes ago

Now that her claims of being of Indian heritage have turned out to be a scam and a lie, Elizabeth Warren should apologize for perpetrating this fraud against the American Public. Harvard called her “a person of color” (amazing con), and would not have taken her otherwise!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 35m35 minutes ago

Thank you to the Cherokee Nation for revealing that Elizabeth Warren, sometimes referred to as Pocahontas, is a complete and total Fraud!

Mods, please note that I am not calling anyone Pocahontas. Just quoting our racist President.
Of course Trump sees this as a way to distract from real issues, most of which make him look bad. So,  just as with Colin Kaepernick, he seized on this, and his supporters and conservatives follow his lead. Facts are irrelevant compared to the nickname. 

Warren should never have had the DNA test. 

Kavanaugh was accused of rape. A little bit different don’t you think? 
First, he wasn’t accused of rape.  Second, that’s not the issue.  The issue is lying should be taken seriously.  An alleged lie (what he said in his yearbook) was talked about on this board endlessly. Many made the claim that this lie disqualified him.

So it shouldn’t surprise anyone that this potential lie would also be talked about.  Even though it’s unproven and a bit absurd.

Of course Trump sees this as a way to distract from real issues, most of which make him look bad. So,  just as with Colin Kaepernick, he seized on this, and his supporters and conservatives follow his lead. Facts are irrelevant compared to the nickname. 

On the bright side, at least she released the results less than a month before the midterms!

Democrats must really hate winning elections.

You keep saying she shouldn't have taken the DNA test and I will keep disagreeing.  Facts matter and backing up claims is important.  Even if Trump doesn't care about facts and scientifically backing up those claims it is still important. 

I don't want Warren as the democratic nominee, but will support her if she wins.  This won't make a difference if she is able to secure the nomination or not.  If she makes it to the general election this won't hurt her changes of being called racist names by Trump either.  It can only help.

First, he wasn’t accused of rape.  Second, that’s not the issue.  The issue is lying should be taken seriously.  An alleged lie (what he said in his yearbook) was talked about on this board endlessly. Many made the claim that this lie disqualified him.

So it shouldn’t surprise anyone that this potential lie would also be talked about.  Even though it’s unproven and a bit absurd.
You’re the second person to point out that I should have written “attempted rape” instead of rape. Mea culpa I suppose, but the distinction seems rather insignificant. 

Kavanaugh’s lies were discussed within the context of the attempted rape accusation. 

On the bright side, at least she released the results less than a month before the midterms!

Democrats must really hate winning elections.
Voters in ND or WV or whatever other state that has a closely contested election do not care about Elizabeth Warren and her DNA test. Or I should say, the few that are foaming at the mouth were already decided and were not going to vote for denmocrats anyway

You keep saying she shouldn't have taken the DNA test and I will keep disagreeing.  Facts matter and backing up claims is important.  Even if Trump doesn't care about facts and scientifically backing up those claims it is still important. 

I don't want Warren as the democratic nominee, but will support her if she wins.  This won't make a difference if she is able to secure the nomination or not.  If she makes it to the general election this won't hurt her changes of being called racist names by Trump either.  It can only help.
In MOST states this stunt would cost her the Senate race.  She’s lucky she’s in Massachusetts.  

In MOST states this stunt would cost her the Senate race.  She’s lucky she’s in Massachusetts.  
You mean the stunt of proving she was correct in her claim?

Can you please elaborate in detail? The Pocahantus name calling is clearly over the line. I've told people not to do that here. 

Are you seeing other racist things here? Please show me exactly what you're talking about. 
In the recent days as this was bumped...no.

Before that when several were making warpath quips and others related to her claimed heritage...most certainly.

No it can hurt, because it lowers her dignity. 

No it can hurt, because it lowers her dignity. 
I disagree, but that is ok.  I don't think proving your claims do that, especially in today's environment.

You mean the stunt of proving she was correct in her claim?
It’s hilarious the spin needed here to complain and bash someone who proved her claim as it relates to those family stories.

Mostly from people thatbwill excuse any and all falsehoods coming from the right.

And overall of she makes a run at the White House...this will hurt her.  While the lies of Trump don’t hurt him.  Absolute hypocrisy.

Just for comparison's sake, do you look less black than she looked Native American before she started dying her hair?

In the recent days as this was bumped...no.

Before that when several were making warpath quips and others related to her claimed heritage...most certainly.
We don't want anything racist. If you see something in the future, please report it. 

Stick a fork in her, she's done
Define done.  Do you mean...

• She won't run for the Democratic nomination?
  • She won't survive more than 2 states, 4 states, ...?
  • She won win the Democratic nomination?
  • She won't beat the Republican nominee?

I feel like I'm one of the few on the left critical of her for doubling down on this.  Sure, Trump/Republicans will make fun no matter what.  But when the Cherokee Nation chides you, it may be time to fold the hand.
I understand your point and I think those nations have the right to determine who is a part of their citizenry.  I don't deny them that ability to self identify.  

That is different though than a DNA claim of being of Native American decent.

I feel like I'm one of the few on the left critical of her for doubling down on this.  Sure, Trump/Republicans will make fun no matter what.  But when the Cherokee Nation chides you, it may be time to fold the hand.
That's been my concern. The doubling down as I said earlier just didn't make sense.

What did the Cherokee Nation say?

That's been my concern. The doubling down as I said earlier just didn't make sense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/10/16/why-cherokee-nations-rebuke-elizabeth-warren-matters/

“A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person’s ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is proven. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage.”

Here is their statement.  Saying that she is "undermining tribal interests" is quite the rebuke:

“A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person’s ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is proven. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage.”

She isn't going to be president because of this either way.  I respect her actually trying to fight back, but it isn't going to work against Trump's GOP

I understand your point and I think those nations have the right to determine who is a part of their citizenry.  I don't deny them that ability to self identify.  

That is different though that a DNA claim of being of Native American decent.
She's using to claim that she was correct in self-identifying as a native american minority in the 1980s/1990s, which implies a bit more than (ETA: ancestral) descent.  Like I said yesterday, I'd respect her more if she said that was wrong, and the family stories led her to believe there was more than there actually is.

People (myself included) explained to you over and over and over that the pages of the thread to which you refer were devoted to figuring out whether Kavanaugh lied to Congress when he was 53, not "a yearbook inscription from a 17 year old." 

To analogize it here: imagine for some reason this was a matter for Congressional hearing, and Warren testified that her aunt told her that her ancestors were Native American when she was 17.  Someone looks into her family tree and discovers that her only aunt had died when she was 12. The ensuing discussion would not be "devoted to a family story told to a 17 year old."  It would be about whether the Senior Senator from Massachusetts lied to Congress.

You're not a dense guy. I assume that this fairly simple distinction has sunken in, given how many times people explained it to you.  Why do you keep repeating something you know to be false/misleading?

Here is their statement.  Saying that she is "undermining tribal interests" is quite the rebuke:

“A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person’s ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is proven. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage.”
This is similar to my post above.  If Warren was trying to say she had a right to Cherokee citizenship that is one thing, but saying she is part Cherokee or has a Cherokee ancestor is another.   

But I agree with @Slapdash, I don't think this will determine her eventual presidential status. 

Thanks.

What seems so frustrating to me is the answer for diffusing the whole thing seems so easy.

I have no idea if she'd make a good President or not. As I said earlier, sadly, this issue is mostly all I know about her. But let's assume Warren would make a great President.

If I'm her I say today, "I apologize for drawing attention away from issues I consider more important. I grew up believing this was my ancestry and am very proud to be related to Native Americans. A recent DNA test has determined the relationship was more distant than I'd thought before. I apologize if I misled anyone in that regard. The Cherokee Nation has spoken to this and I respect and honor their words. I'm looking forward to working on the problems facing our great country"

Something like that I think would put this to rest and gain her points from all but the most rabid people. 

That is different though that a DNA claim of being of Native American decent.
She's using to claim that she was correct in self-identifying as a native american minority in the 1980s/1990s, which implies a bit more than (ETA: ancestral) descent.  Like I said yesterday, I'd respect her more if she said that was wrong, and the family stories led her to believe there was more than there actually is.
Are you paraphrasing her claim in a way to fit your view?  Because she didn't say "she was correct in self-identifying as a Native American minority."

Thanks.

What seems so frustrating to me is the answer for diffusing the whole thing seems so easy.

I have no idea if she'd make a good President or not. As I said earlier, sadly, this issue is mostly all I know about her. But let's assume Warren would make a great President.

If I'm her I say today, "I apologize for drawing attention away from issues I consider more important. I grew up believing this was my ancestry and am very proud to be related to Native Americans. A recent DNA test has determined the relationship was more distant than I'd thought before. I apologize if I misled anyone in that regard. The Cherokee Nation has spoken to this and I respect and honor their words. I'm looking forward to working on the problems facing our great country"

Something like that I think would put this to rest and gain her points from all but the most rabid people. 
Except the DNA test did not determine she was more distant than she'd thought.

Users who are viewing this thread