What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wendell Smallwood (1 Viewer)

Buck Bradcanon

Footballguy
Didn't see him with his own thread so here's one.  Had a nice 2nd half vs Pitt and the coach is talking him up.

Roto:

Coach Doug Pederson had nothing but praise for rookie RB Wendell Smallwood's performance following the Week 3 win over the Steelers.
"He's the same type of runner that we felt he was coming out of college and what we saw in preseason," said Pederson. "He's a big, powerful guy. He's a downhill guy. He's a one-cut runner. He did a great job for us." At the link below, Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski broke down a bunch of Smallwood's runs from the win, and his burst through the hole was incredible. He also showed great awareness to stay in bounds on a 3rd-and-7 run late in the fourth quarter to keep the clock moving. "To get the first down and stay in bounds as a rookie is tremendous," said Pederson. Smallwood missed much of training camp with a quad injury, but he looks poised to take on a big role in this backfield with Ryan Mathews again banged up and struggling to make plays. Sep 28 - 10:25 AM

Source: Philly Voice

In. Wouldn't say he's big at 210, but is shifty. Ran a 4.47 IIRC? So he's got the speed. And the pathway is his for the taking.

- Mathews can't stay healthy, 2 years left on his deal.

- Sproles has 2 years left then he'll retire.

- Barner has just this year left, but should be beaten out anyway.

And he's gonna be on an offense with an elite QB and plenty of targets so he will have plenty of space to operate. I think he's a strong dynasty play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all the teams in the league, Iggles seem least likely to settle on a  rb rotation. It'll likely be a gameflow thing all year. Though he looked good, Wendy dont have the appearance of a present or future bellcow, but neither did Westy at first.

Of all the teams in the league, Iggles seem least likely to settle on a  rb rotation. It'll likely be a gameflow thing all year. Though he looked good, Wendy dont have the appearance of a present or future bellcow, but neither did Westy at first.
:goodposting:

This is a 4 headed monster I'll stay away from but keep my eye on just in case one seems to be emerging. You're always going to have their infatuation with Sproles hawking the receptions no matter what, so then you have 3 guys fighting for the carries. This is worse than the nyg situation 

wikkidpissah said:
This year, for sure.  But in dynasty, he definitely has a path to being the starter next year.  Don't know if it's a high probability, but definitely possible.

Dr. Brew said:
:goodposting:

This is a 4 headed monster I'll stay away from but keep my eye on just in case one seems to be emerging. You're always going to have their infatuation with Sproles hawking the receptions no matter what, so then you have 3 guys fighting for the carries. This is worse than the nyg situation 
Not sure I agree with that.  Seemed like Matthews was pretty clearly the guy in weeks 1 & 2 and it really looks like the game plan for week 3 was to go pass heavy (15 of their first 17 plays were passes) and 26 of their 34 plays in the first half were called passes.  I just get the feeling that they saw a weakness in the Pit D, or took a calculated risk and it paid off.

They open up the second half with one run then two plays later hit Sproles for a 73 yard TD and a 14 point lead.  At that point it may have just been decided to lean on Smallwood & Barner and let Matthews get some rest.

I would not be surprised to see them come out of the bye with another 15 touches for Matthews, presuming his injury isn't serious (I haven't seen any updates about him so maybe it's worse than it seems).

Pederson said on the radio Monday that Matthews basically took himself out, told the coaches his ankle was acting up from back in training camp.

Every Eagles RB looks good except for Mathews. Even week 1 Mathews looked slow compared to everyone else. My guess is Mathews will be outplayed consistently by all of these guys and he will be less and less of a factor as the year goes on. There were beat writers in pre-season reporting he was a poor fit for the offense and now we see exactly what they were talking about. He's actually a liability to what they're trying to do. Especially if his ankle is STILL bothering him.

I like this Eagles offense. It looks explosive and so does Smallwood. Mathews does not.

I had Barner in my dynasty league and dropped him to cover bye week needs.  I probably could have dropped other guys, but Smallwood has looked really good and it seems like they're pushing to make him more active.

I realize I am getting ahead of myself but coming out of the week 4 bye they have a great matchup against Detroit.  If Matthews is unable to go and Smallwood gets the start or some prime first half looks, maybe we are off and running.

In. Dropped Jonathan Stewart. Short bench and don't want to hold him for weeks waiting for his hammy to recover only to be frustrated with Cam vulturing his TDs in a nonPPR. It sounds like im justifying and i am.

Matthews is like glass.. Sparkles is a rec.back and getting old. Barber ,well is Barner. Smallwood has a lot of upside. I have acquired him and will stash him and will use him in time.

Stashed him in a 16-team standard redraft. Mostly because I needed a Watkins replacement, but I think there could be something there if/when Mathews gets hurt. He's really their only other between the tackles option. 

My hope is that he emerges by Week 10, when I have two RBs on bye. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11451/wendell-smallwood

Definitely sounds like he will continue to get opportunities.

ESPN Eagles reporter Tim McManus said fifth-round RB Wendell Smallwood should see "plenty of opportunities" this season.
McManus cautions Ryan Mathews should still be the lead back when healthy, but he correctly points out Mathews has struggled to stay on the field throughout his career. "There should be plenty of opportunities for Smallwood over the course of the season," McManus said, "and those opportunities will likely grow if he continues to produce like he did against the Steelers." Smallwood had 79 yards and a touchdown against Pittsburgh. He is a great speculative add in deeper leagues. Oct 1 - 9:17 AM
Beat writer speculation and even he recognizes that it is Matthews who will lead the team in touches.  The opportunity for Smallwood will likely be there as Matthews has always been a health concern but that is Smallwood's path to touches not simply taking over the #1 RB job with a healthy Matthews on the team.

Apologize for the typos guys. Long day of work and Margaritas afterwards and NOT proofreading does not mix. 

GO VOLS.

Apologize for the typos guys. Long day of work and Margaritas afterwards and NOT proofreading does not mix. 

GO VOLS.
 Did you just apologize for typos that you made 21 hours ago ?

That's message board dedication my friend. 

Beat writer speculation and even he recognizes that it is Matthews who will lead the team in touches.  The opportunity for Smallwood will likely be there as Matthews has always been a health concern but that is Smallwood's path to touches not simply taking over the #1 RB job with a healthy Matthews on the team.
Mathews is getting 3.1 ypc and his ankle hasn't healed from July.  sproles and Barner are COP guys

writing is on the wall

I love the way this kid runs the ball and am excited to see get involved in the passing game. A great hold in all formats due to the lack of talent in front of him.

Mathews is getting 3.1 ypc and his ankle hasn't healed from July.  sproles and Barner are COP guys

writing is on the wall
I guess but we have the conversation every year about things like this.  Coaches almost always favor reliable veterans who produce mediocre YPCs over flashy rookies who may flash more but are more of an unknown when it comes to handling the details of their position.  So, while I agree that Smallwood looks like a better athlete/runner than Matthews I am not certain that gets him on the field as the starter unless there is an injury.

Preemptively got him in my short bench 10 team league. The guy has a chance to be a season changer for you on a surprisingly competent offense. I like it

Was looking at this guy pretty hard in some weekly games.  Smallwood looks like he is going to take over lead back duties and Mathews is threatened.  Mathews hurt his ankle in camp and it clearly has not healed 100% with his unusually low YPC.  I have read a few reports that both ankles are hurting, leading me to believe he hurt his other ankle in week 3 vs the Steelers.  For this week, I think Mathews should be a scratch but wants to play in order not to lose his starting job.  Coaches say they are going to start him, but I expect his YPC to remain low and to get around 10 carries.  Sproles and maybe even Barner will get touches besides Smallwood and it is very hard to say which RB will get a TD to make him a relevant fantasy play.

Of course Mathews could re-injure an ankle on his second carry and Smallwood could go off against Detriot, but for now  Smallwood looks to be a hold in all leagues as Mathews insurance.

See, now we're in the "frustrating" territory. Dude is 2-for-2 now when they give him a substantial workload, anything more than 5 touches as the stats read. 17-79 (4.6 ypc), and 13-70 (5.4 ypc). Can they just start the guy and be done with this stupid 4 man backfield? Obviously Sproles will always be the pass down guy. I can accept that.

Smallwood again put up some pretty good #'s last week.13/70. Maybe now is the time to grab and stash. Up next a couple of games against tough run Defs(Seattle and GB).If Mathews can't get anything going,and Smallwood can,Maybe he can take over as the #1 RB in Philly...Plus Brittle injury pron Mathews is bound to go down with an injury soon..

Smallwood again put up some pretty good #'s last week.13/70. Maybe now is the time to grab and stash. Up next a couple of games against tough run Defs(Seattle and GB).If Mathews can't get anything going,and Smallwood can,Maybe he can take over as the #1 RB in Philly...Plus Brittle injury pron Mathews is bound to go down with an injury soon..
Surprised how little talk about him

Leaning this way but gonna see how Mathews turns out by game time. Inconvenient that they have an extra day this week for Mathews to rest up.
Even if Mathews is declared "healthy" he may not be used that much because he's never really healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread