What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tool - Lateralus and other albums (1 Viewer)

Can you not buy CDs anymore?  Went into Best Buy looking for one and didn’t see a music section and I was too afraid to ask and look like an out of touch old man 

anyway listened to it through Prime, it’s good, will need to give it multiple listens to see what song really stands out
Did you try Sam Goody?

There are people hating on this?  Seems like a natural extension of 10,000 Days to me.   I love it.  
"Not enough lyrics" and "I did not hear something I will listen to over and over again." Those are the two main criticisms I've seen. It confirmed to me that I was right to resist listening to the two songs that leaked out and instead wait and listen to the whole thing at once. It was a master piece, picking and choosing its spots to build then step back before grabbing you by a 15 minute throat to finish. 

Listened to it a bunch of times last night and stayed up way too late. I feel like this is Tool's King of Limbs. There are no radio singles you can point to, but it's the overall experience that matters, where the sum is greater than its parts. Even the lyrics carry a theme throughout, unlike previous albums. They've taken this whole "our music is intended as an album" approach to its natural conclusion.

"Not enough lyrics" and "I did not hear something I will listen to over and over again." Those are the two main criticisms I've seen. It confirmed to me that I was right to resist listening to the two songs that leaked out and instead wait and listen to the whole thing at once. It was a master piece, picking and choosing its spots to build then step back before grabbing you by a 15 minute throat to finish. 
Interesting.  Aren't songs like Wings for Marie or Right in Two like this though?  That's why I say I think it's a natural extention of 10000 Days.   I could see somebody that are just fans of songs like Vicarious or Sober not liking this album, but I don't think it's a sonic departure for the band or anything.   

ETA:  I will fully admit that I am not a huge lyric guy.  80% of why I am listening to Tool is for the drumming, and there is some amazing stuff on this album as far as that goes, so I am perfectly happy with it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.  Aren't songs like Wings for Marie or Right in Two like this though?  That's why I say I think it's a natural extention of 10000 Days.   I could see somebody that are just fans of songs like Vicarious or Sober not liking this album, but I don't think it's a sonic departure for the band or anything.   

ETA:  I will fully admit that I am not a huge lyric guy.  80% of why I am listening to Tool is for the drumming, and there is some amazing stuff on this album as far as that goes, so I am perfectly happy with it.  
Agree 1000% percent.  Maynard is a good not great singer.  Not sure there are many guitarists better than Jones and there certainly aren’t any better drummers out there than Carey.  

does anyone feel like this album is very much a template album. I swear I hear riffs and solos and builds that mirror a lot of their previous work.

Not saying it's a bad thing, maybe that's just what TOOL is and why we love them but I did pick up on a few guitar and drum builds that sounded like at least 2 or 3 previous tool songs. I'll try to find a few example and time stamp them.

does anyone feel like this album is very much a template album. I swear I hear riffs and solos and builds that mirror a lot of their previous work.

Not saying it's a bad thing, maybe that's just what TOOL is and why we love them but I did pick up on a few guitar and drum builds that sounded like at least 2 or 3 previous tool songs. I'll try to find a few example and time stamp them.
Yeah I notice it.  I think there’s a part of Pneuma that sounds just like part of Reflection

some of the drumming too

Yeah I notice it.  I think there’s a part of Pneuma that sounds just like part of Reflection

some of the drumming too
that and H. I noticed a lot of similarities in the guitar riffs/builds and drums. I mean I love the songs they sound like, so I don't even care. I just noticed it. I'm sure it's not laziness or lack of creativity but so many of the breakdowns remind me exactly like other songs.

Let me get to work on this right now. 

Pipes said:
Agree 1000% percent.  Maynard is a good not great singer.  Not sure there are many guitarists better than Jones and there certainly aren’t any better drummers out there than Carey.  
I disagree with this wholeheartedly in regards to the Maynard being a "good" singer and not a "great" singer.  A few years ago--there was a list released with the singers that had the greatest vocal range.  Maynard ranked in the top 30 of all time as his range encompassed four octaves.   Technically speaking--he's one of the best singers in the history of rock music.  You mix his technical skills with his ability to sing songs in a way where there music is more than listened to--you can actually feel the songs through his vocals--and I think his singing adds another dimension that many other singers don't have.   I do agree with your assessments on Jones and Carey--and chancellors skill level is vastly under rated as well.  

I disagree with this wholeheartedly in regards to the Maynard being a "good" singer and not a "great" singer.  A few years ago--there was a list released with the singers that had the greatest vocal range.  Maynard ranked in the top 30 of all time as his range encompassed four octaves.   Technically speaking--he's one of the best singers in the history of rock music.  You mix his technical skills with his ability to sing songs in a way where there music is more than listened to--you can actually feel the songs through his vocals--and I think his singing adds another dimension that many other singers don't have.   I do agree with your assessments on Jones and Carey--and chancellors skill level is vastly under rated as well.  
Don’t get me wrong I like Maynard but personally I love Tool because of Carey and Jones musical abilities moreso than Maynard.  Not meant to be a knock on Maynard just personal preference. They are all great in their own right.  That’s why they are the most talented and imo best rock band of our generation.

I would not consider myself a Tool fan. In fact, i feel they are the one band I missed out on depsite being a teen when their stuff came out. Not sure why I never got into them. Ive never listened to one of their albums in its entirety until this one. 

I really enjoyed it. 

I would not consider myself a Tool fan. In fact, i feel they are the one band I missed out on depsite being a teen when their stuff came out. Not sure why I never got into them. Ive never listened to one of their albums in its entirety until this one. 

I really enjoyed it. 
Ooof

This is like someone saying "i caught an episode of that breaking bad show.  Not sure why i never watched it before but I'm gonna give it a try"

If you're gonna listen to all their stuff and you enjoy this album...youre in for a treat

Ooof

This is like someone saying a caught an episode of that breaking bad show.  Not sure why i never watched it before but I'm gonna give it a try

If you're gonna listen to all their stuff and you enjoy this album...youre in for a treat
What I would give to be able to go back and listen to Opiate for the first time.  I mean, probably not a finger or toe or anything...but maybe an old concert t shirt.  One that i'm too big to fit into anymore.  But one of my old favorite ones.

I really enjoyed it. 
great time to get into them now that the whole catalogue if finally streaming.  definitely do it.

my personal tool fandom began when undertow came out when I was 14 or 15 and being so enthralled with the videos for sober and prison sex.  i had never experienced this kind of combination of sound and visual, so dark and haunting.  amazing.  between them and the NIN videos, I probably was messed up for life...

great time to get into them now that the whole catalogue if finally streaming.  definitely do it.

my personal tool fandom began when undertow came out when I was 14 or 15 and being so enthralled with the videos for sober and prison sex.  i had never experienced this kind of combination of sound and visual, so dark and haunting.  amazing.  between them and the NIN videos, I probably was messed up for life...
About the same situation for me except I was 17. Started seeing them appear on Headbanger's Ball and was hooked. Had never seen a band do all their videos with almost zero appearances from the actual members. They really attacked disturbing subject matter.

I was just 13 when Aenima cane out. I had heard Sober, but it didnt grab my attention. Stinkfist did though. Enough to get me to buy. Buy. Buy their new record. I dont remember at what point during Eulogy my jaw hit the floor, but sometime by the final primal goodbye. Don't think I listened to anything but Tool after that for a month. 

The best was MTV changing stinkfist to "track#1" as it was deemed offensive.....seconds after the song plays....mtv spring break comes on where teens are grinding on each other with whipped cream in bikinis on a stage in front of a few thousand people and for millions of kids to watch at home.

Careful with that stinkfist title...but Kelly from Ohio can be a slut for MTV to exploit. 

The first time I got introduced to TOOL I was 16. Me and my best bud growing up were at a local fair. One of the scariest rides was some crazy #### looking like a Ferris Wheel but you go upside down an can also spin your cart completely 360 on a vertical basis. We liked the music on it so much we went on it about 9 times that weekend. Finally had to ask the attendant "what the #### was that you were playing?!!" High (one night on shrooms), spinning upside down, listening to Aenima for 6 minutes in some death box changed my life. All I cared about was getting laid until I heard that album, then all I cared about was listening to that album. That is and forever will be my favorite album. I wish I could go back to those days. The music just ran through us. I just had bought a zippo lighter with a pot leaf on it with my last 20 dollars. I'd have thrown that thing into a lake for another 9 takes on that ride with Aenima playing. 

The next week we went to Strawberries (CD Store in Rhode Island) and bought it with our pooled allowance Monday and played it nonstop for the last 2 years of high school. It's all I asked for for Christmas that year. 

Now its finally on Spotify and I just want to be 16 again. Christ. Not sure how a band like TOOL can make you nostalgic but it does it for me. That album changed my life. 

After a few listens I like the album for sure.  Will likely listen to Invincible, 7empest and Pneuma a ton in the coming months but the rest of the album I could give or take.  At this point though for me it’s pretty clear their zenith is Undertow and Ænima.  

After a few listens I like the album for sure.  Will likely listen to Invincible, 7empest and Pneuma a ton in the coming months but the rest of the album I could give or take.  At this point though for me it’s pretty clear their zenith is Undertow and Ænima.  
Those 3 are the ones I'll seek out. I think the rest are sequenced beautifully amidst the album, but aren't stand alone types. 

those 3 and that Chocolate hippy drip are my favorites too... add Opiate to your zenith list and I am all in on that as well. 

Got my tickets at Fiserv on Halloween. Not to expensive $465 for 4 tickets in the lower bowl.  Can't wait!!!

Flying out to Denver for the 15th show.  Been wanting to visit a legal state for a few years.  2 birds 1 stoner amirite?

pretty, pretty, pretty effin excited.

Intersting.  I have the opposite take.  Maybe I lean more prog in general (my favorite Floyd album is Animals, I love Opeth, etc.. )?  I never listen to Undertow, and the wonky interludes on Aenima keep me away a little as well.    The other albums are on constant rotation in the car though.  

No, it's not Dany, but I love watching THIS GUY play play tool songs.  Makes it look easy, but you can see how ####### complicated the drumming is for this band.  (like I needed to tell the people in this thread, but still.....) 

ETA:  Everything after about 8:30 or so on that video makes my pants tight every time I watch/listen...

No, it's not Dany, but I love watching THIS GUY play play tool songs.  Makes it look easy, but you can see how ####### complicated the drumming is for this band.  (like I needed to tell the people in this thread, but still.....) 

ETA:  Everything after about 8:30 or so on that video makes my pants tight every time I watch/listen...
That’s how I feel about this every time I watch.  Blows my mind the skill set on display.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SzREx4vCZpU

Intersting.  I have the opposite take.  Maybe I lean more prog in general (my favorite Floyd album is Animals, I love Opeth, etc.. )?  I never listen to Undertow, and the wonky interludes on Aenima keep me away a little as well.    The other albums are on constant rotation in the car though.  
Pink Floyd is my favorite all time band.  Dogs I’d my favorite song and favorite all time guitar solo.   

I didn't want to comment until I heard the new album at least 2 times over. With Tool it takes multiple listens to really establish your favorites. I dig the entire album so far. The entire thing has a hypnotic vibe to it. My favorite song after two listens is Pneuma---but that is bound to change with more listens.  Each song is truly an experiential journey 

Agreed. Hardly listen to Undertow it’s good but just don’t love it as much as Lateralus or 10,000 days.  Other than Stinkfist don’t listen to Aenima a ton either.  Don’t get me wrong love them all but I guess I prefer a more mature more mellow Maynard.  

Too early to tell where FI is going to slot but my gut says right in the middle somewhere.  

Awesome!

I'll miss you in AC but feel better you'll be having more fun
Lady nugs has a sister who lives just outside of Denver who we’ve promised to come see for a few years now.  My brother in law has Broncos season tickets and offered  junior nugs and I tickets to the titans game.  I had to act fast before my ladyfriend changed her mind.  We will have to have to plan the AC reunion for next summer, gb.

Users who are viewing this thread