What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyreek Hill, MIA (1 Viewer)

You may not help Tyreek's child by banning him, but the message it sends may help to prevent such grizzly acts from occurring again.  
Would it? I am not so sure. The guy is sick.  He needs therapy.  For the long term sake of his child,

Kicking him out and shutting the door to the NFL isn't going to help anyone.  The NFL teams will look to be proactive (on making a profit and a SB) and rehabilitate him over time IMO.  Hill is discount goods with a huge upside.

I don't mean to seem insensitive to the child or the GF either.   I'm not.  I am simply being realistic.  This is about hundreds of millions of dollars.  These people in administration do not like to lose. 

We will find out in time.  This isn't the first case of child abuse the league has dealt with.  In the court systems, crimes involving parental authority is treated differently than standard crimes.  Ruining Tyreek Hill isn't exactly doing the child any favors either. 

IMO Whatever happens, it will be what is in the best interests of the child first and foremost.  I don't think a permanent ban from football is going to be that for Tyreek. My guess is suspension, counseling, therapy and some kind of probation with check points. 
What on earth do you mean “ruining Tyreek Hill?”

Would it? I am not so sure. The guy is sick.  He needs therapy.  For the long term sake of his child,

Kicking him out and shutting the door to the NFL isn't going to help anyone.  The NFL teams will look to be proactive (on making a profit and a SB) and rehabilitate him over time IMO.  Hill is discount goods with a huge upside.

I don't mean to seem insensitive to the child or the GF either.   I'm not.  I am simply being realistic.  This is about hundreds of millions of dollars.  These people in administration do not like to lose. 

I'm sorry but I think you're reading this all wrong.

Something like this is just too much for people to say "Sure he's a bad guy but at least he helps my team win." This is a whole 'nother level. You'd have more people cancelling/not buying tickets than you would gain.

I was not referring to preventing Hill from doing this again.  He is a psychopath and belongs behind bars.  They already tried rehab and therapy with him.  He got worse.  I am talking about setting a precedent for others that may find themselves at a crossroads wondering "should I beat the crap out of my kid or my girlfriend right now...or should I take a walk and not risk my entire career so I can beat on a helpless human being".

NO.

He had his chance. The Chiefs gave him every opportunity to rehab himself. And he blew it. He got his second chance. 

The league needs to make a better policy or exceptions on cap hits for immediately cutting toxic players. I believe what is supposed to happen is teams are supposed to petition the league and get permission first, iron out the details, and then cut the player to get cap relief. But that usually takes months instead of hours that are needed post haste. 

Not everyone needs, or better yet deserves, rehabilitation. Some people just need to go to jail, not pass Go, and not collect $200.
Yep and rumors before this tape that he didn’t change one bit from the beating he gave his then pregnant girlfriend. Was still beating her and has been beating the child from the beginning.

The league needs to make a better policy or exceptions on cap hits for immediately cutting toxic players. I believe what is supposed to happen is teams are supposed to petition the league and get permission first, iron out the details, and then cut the player to get cap relief. But that usually takes months instead of hours that are needed post haste. 
The chiefs shouldn't get a shred of cap relief for drafting and signing this guy knowing his past.

In fact, I'd rather see a team mandated to pay a few million to charities for beaten women or children when they know full well what they are getting themselves into and the player continues doing what he did prior to being drafted.

Chiefs aren't a victim here. 

What on earth do you mean “ruining Tyreek Hill?”
What I mean is that football is his chosen profession.  It is how he makes a living for his family.  "Banning" him is essentially destroying his professional career.  If a father abuses his child, the court doesn't turn around and prevent him from working.  The court WANTS the father to work for the sake of the child.  That is what I mean.    

How the TEAMS see it is a different matter.  From a PR perspective, this is a PR disaster - RIGHT NOW.  But in a year, most people will barely remember this incident.  People in the US have trouble remembering 6 weeks ago, nevermind a year ago.  And teams are greedy and hungry for championships.  If Hill does what he is told to do and asked to do, if he does all the things to "rehabilitate" himself, I don't suspect, I KNOW some team in the NFL WILL sign him at a significant discount. 

I don't think it is right, but I think that is the reality when hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line.  

Last edited by a moderator:
What I mean is that football is his chosen profession.  It is how he makes a living for his family.  "Banning" him is essentially destroying his professional career.  If a father abuses his child, the court doesn't turn around and prevent him from working.  The court WANTS the father to work for the sake of the child.  That is what I mean.    

How the TEAMS see it is a different matter.  From a PR perspective, this is a PR disaster - RIGHT NOW.  But in a year, most people will barely remember this incident.  People in the US have trouble remembering 6 weeks ago, nevermind a year ago.  And teams and greedy and hungry for championships.  If Hill does what he is told to do and asked to do, if he does all the things to "rehabilitate" himself, I don't suspect, I KNOW some team in the NFL WILL sign him at a significant discount. 

I don't think it is right, but I think that is the reality when hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line.  
Sorry dude. But that's exactly what the Chiefs did when he came into the league.

Americans love 2nd chance success stories but loathe when people now their 2nd chances.

How the TEAMS see it is a different matter.  From a PR perspective, this is a PR disaster - RIGHT NOW.  But in a year, most people will barely remember this incident.  People in the US have trouble remembering 6 weeks ago, nevermind a year ago.  And teams are greedy and hungry for championships.  If Hill does what he is told to do and asked to do, if he does all the things to "rehabilitate" himself, I don't suspect, I KNOW some team in the NFL WILL sign him at a significant discount. 

If a tape like that was sent to my employer, I would be fired.  I suspect any of us would.  If that tape spread to other companies in my industry, they would not hire me either.  

His cap hit should be nothing....throw his ### on the commish list now

cobalt_27 are you happy you were right?
Dude let's not pretend anyone looks worse for beating their chest in this thread than you.  You came in here all happy beating your chest when you thought that Tyreek got away with it when in your heart of hearts you knew just like the rest of us that he was probably beating his kid.  It's disgusting.

Sorry dude. But that's exactly what the Chiefs did when he came into the league.

Americans love 2nd chance success stories but loathe when people now their 2nd chances.
I am not saying it is right. I don't think it is.  Shoot, IMO every person who gets a second chance is preventing someone their first chance.  Most of the time it doesn't seem to work.  But we only remember the failures, not the Chris Carters. 

He runs 4.2.  He runs sharp routes.  He was arguably in the discussion as the best WR in the NFL.  Certainly the most explosive.  Some team will sign him in a year if he is cleaning up his act. You are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars.  People get goofy around the warchest.

the league is getting KILLED on social media, and not just by regular joes. 

I havent seen PR this bad in... Ever?

They need to bar him, yesterday

This is one of the most logically- and morally-bankrupt takes I’ve read in a while.  And, taking in all you wrote in the first two paragraphs, the opening clause of the third paragraph makes you look dishonest.  Sounds like you absolutely think it’s right he should play again. 

I am not saying it is right. I don't think it is.  Shoot, IMO every person who gets a second chance is preventing someone their first chance.  Most of the time it doesn't seem to work.  But we only remember the failures, not the Chris Carters. 

He runs 4.2.  He runs sharp routes.  He was arguably in the discussion as the best WR in the NFL.  Certainly the most explosive.  Some team will sign him. 
Chris Carter if I recall was guilty of a victimless crime.  Not comparable.  Not even close.  

Dont care how fast he runs.  The same logic that you think will get him back into the league is what will keep him out of it.  The NFL's desire to sell tickets.  They will lose fans by allowing this scumbag back into the league.  They will be just fine without him.

This is fair but in this case Hill is on a 4th round rookie contract.  His cap hit is essentially nothing ($17,500) so there is no cap relief needed.

Chris Carter if I recall was guilty of a victimless crime.  Not comparable.  Not even close.  

Dont care how fast he runs.  The same logic that you think will get him back into the league is what will keep him out of it.  The NFL's desire to sell tickets.  They will lose fans by allowing this scumbag back into the league.  They will be just fine without him.
Wait til they start losing sponsorship money

You can get as upset as you like.  I have seen this before. There is precedent. 

I think that Hill is a bad guy.  I have seen talented murderers let back into the league.  Rapists. Recidivists of all types.  I will be surprised if, whenever his suspension ends, Hill is not signed conditionally to some team. 

I think you overestimate the current momentum in a years time

How the TEAMS see it is a different matter.  From a PR perspective, this is a PR disaster - RIGHT NOW.  But in a year, most people will barely remember this incident.  People in the US have trouble remembering 6 weeks ago, nevermind a year ago.  And teams and greedy and hungry for championships.  If Hill does what he is told to do and asked to do, if he does all the things to "rehabilitate" himself, I don't suspect, I KNOW some team in the NFL WILL sign him at a significant discount. 

Forget that he may have punched his 3 year old.  That's beyond awful, but maybe you're holding out hope that it's not true, or an exaggeration or whatever. Let's just say you don't believe it. 

He threatened the kid's mom. 

The one he choked and punched.

While she was pregnant. 

He pled guilty to this, then is caught on tape telling her "you need to be terrified of me too, b###."

That. Is. Not. OK.

I still think the most damning thing on the tape is the admission he was alone with the child when his arm was broken. In light of the DA saying abuse occurred but they couldn’t prove which parent did it. That tells them which one.

I think that Hill is a bad guy.  I have seen talented murderers let back into the league.  Rapists. Recidivists of all types.  I will be surprised if, whenever his suspension ends, Hill is not signed conditionally to some team. 

I think you overestimate the momentum in a year. 
I really think you are underestimating the severity of this situation.  He is not going to play in the NFL ever again.  You can safely cut him.

Forget that he may have punched his 3 year old.  That's beyond awful, but maybe you're holding out hope that it's not true, or an exaggeration or whatever. Let's just say you don't believe it. 

While she was pregnant. 

He pled guilty to this, then is caught on tape telling her "you need to be terrified of me too, b###."

That. Is. Not. OK.
Don't shoot the messenger. I agree it isn't ok.  It is horrible.  

The Patriots could manage the PR situation and likely would try to.  The Raiders would likely take a swing at rehabilitation.  I could see a handful of teams taking a swing because of the structure of the organization.

He is a terrible person.  We agree. I have been outraged more times than I can count with the NFL.      

I think you overestimate the momentum in a year. 
I don't think there's been anyone with a combination of a crime this bad and taped evidence like this of it.

Everyone likes to bring up the Ray Lewis murder thing but the reality of that is he was only even suspected of being an accessory to the ordeal, never of actually committing the murder.  And even the former was really just speculation if I recall.

Vick is probably the closest example of a guy actually coming back, because people really love dogs so that was a lot to forgive.  I kind of agree that if it's left up to the teams someone may bring Hill onboard in 3-4 years.  But I don't think they'll have that chance because the horrificness of this combined with it being on tape and Hill's already terrible past I think lands him completely banned from the league by Goodell.

While she was pregnant. 

That. Is. Not. OK.
It’s not ok and guys who need to build/maintain fan base and good will with the community to keep the dollars pouring in know much better than Harry Snowman here how financially devastating it would be to sign a guy with this sort of baggage. Not true for everyone with domestic violence or child abuse histories.  But the account of what happened and the audiotape are insurmountable.  He’s done for good. 

I think you overestimate the current momentum in a years time
The league could simply give him an indefinite suspension and never reinstate him. I doubt they could ever get away with a lifetime ban announced as such, but an indefinite suspension without any real hope of getting reinstated would accomplish the same thing.

The league could simply give him an indefinite suspension and never reinstate him. I doubt they could ever get away with a lifetime ban announced as such, but an indefinite suspension without any real hope of getting reinstated would accomplish the same thing.
When you see something as "indefinite", what that usually means is "not public".  Maybe.   

Other than Aaron Hernandez, I think this is worse than anything any active player has done. 

I think there is a better chance of me suiting up for the Chiefs than Hill at this point. 

Users who are viewing this thread