What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2025 NBA Champion Philadelphia 76ers Thread*** - Still Processing (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
Feeling a little under the weather?  Take all the time you need.  

The Sons of Sam will be waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Embiid/Okafor/Noel logjam is fascinating.  After all the roster and draft machinations over the years, they end up with three incompatible pieces during a bear market for their skillsets.

The Embiid/Okafor/Noel logjam is fascinating.  After all the roster and draft machinations over the years, they end up with three incompatible pieces during a bear market for their skillsets.
Think there's a decent chance Saric/Embiid are the best options at the 4/5 and then they'll be stuck with Okafor/Noel and either play them as backups or sell them on the cheap.  

Noel seems like he has a more marketable skillset but his contract is expiring and won't bring much in return this year.

Okafor has a couple of reasonable (by current NBA standards) team options but needs to be able to defend better to warrant starter's minutes in Philadelphia or anywhere else.

Noel seems like he has a more marketable skillset but his contract is expiring and won't bring much in return this year.

Okafor has a couple of reasonable (by current NBA standards) team options but needs to be able to defend better to warrant starter's minutes in Philadelphia or anywhere else.
He'll bring something if the team they'd deal him to wants to give him an extension and/or wants his RFA rights.  What they get for him is another matter entirely.   

Think there's a decent chance Saric/Embiid are the best options at the 4/5 and then they'll be stuck with Okafor/Noel and either play them as backups or sell them on the cheap.  
Simmons/Embiid is ideally 4/5 you'd want for today's NBA with Okafor in the 2nd unit where his defensive liability isn't as important, but feet matter.  

In any case, I think Noel is the odd man out and I'd deal him pretty quickly for young wing help if there was a trade partner...the caveat being is I have no idea who would want him. 

Who could/would Okafor start for in the league?  Celtics or the Knicks maybe?  I'd love to see the Cavs get a low post guy that could punish GS in the middle. Otherwise it's tough to see a fit.  It's his rebounding that worries me almost as much as his defense. 

I don't think I even saw the 76ers last year but thought Okafor looked good while at Duke.

Who's a good comp for Okafor?  A poor man's Al Jefferson?   Greg Monroe with lesser passing and rebounding skills?  A bigger Big Baby?

I don't think I even saw the 76ers last year but thought Okafor looked good while at Duke.

Who's a good comp for Okafor?  A poor man's Al Jefferson?   Greg Monroe with lesser passing and rebounding skills?  A bigger Big Baby?
Maybe a much poorer rebounding version of Kanter. 

Kanter is a pretty good finisher off the pick & roll.  Of course it's probably better to have Westbrook with the ball than Ish Smith.
Kanter's true shooting % skyrocketed after he got to OKC. Okafor's efficiency is quite remarkable given what he was working with last year, as you note. 

Who could/would Okafor start for in the league?  Celtics or the Knicks maybe?  I'd love to see the Cavs get a low post guy that could punish GS in the middle. Otherwise it's tough to see a fit.  It's his rebounding that worries me almost as much as his defense. 
If you're talking about starting today...no one.  He's a face-up, back to the basket (if that makes any sense...he basically has any post move you want and can take most any 5 off the dribble as well assuming there is no help) 5 that needs to work on his PnR offense, defense, and rebounding.  That simply isn't a starting center for a good team in todays game.  It's a real good first big off the bench like Kanter (different strengths on offense, but both have the ability to carry a second team offensively).  I do think a year or two from now as he continues to refine his offensive game for the NBA and if he improves his defense/rebounding to passable (he has quick enough feet that he should be able to improve some)

Put it this way, he'll get bought or signed for 60 cents on the dollar by some smart team in 3 years that has the proper spacing and we'll wonder how he became so good.  There is All-Star level offensive C talent there, it'll just take the right team with the right offensive spacing to exploit it and good enough wing defenders to absorb his defense.  He will demand a double team in the near future and even today that's a very valuable asset.   

Did we know Embiid has given himself the nickname...THE PROCESS? :oldunsure:

I feel this is something I should have known already, so I'm feeling a little dopey for not knowing.

I have been speculating Richaun Holmes...........thoughts?
He is a good defender and with Noel  not being extended, theoretically the Sixers might gamble on Embiid staying healthy and pairing Embiid and Holmes as a more natural fit (at least some of the time) and then use okafor as more of a scorer earlier  in games and less in crunch time.  I think Nate Duncan mentioned something like this in passing last week.

I don't know if okafor's defensive problems are partly due to a lack of core agility, but he really seems like he just completely falls asleep on defense sometimes. 

Traded Jerami Grant to OKC. I kind of like him as a player. If he can get his shooting efficiency figured out he can contribute. Just to many bigs I guess, Ilyasova looks like a better fit(short term anyway). 

Ilyasova appeared in 453 games with Milwaukee, 52 with Detroit, 22 with Orlando and 3 with Oklahoma City.  There's a radioactive decay equation that can be used to project the rest of his NBA career.

I came away impressed with Saric's hair as well. 
That's one bad haircut he's got up top there.  Somebody gotta get him down to one of the crop shops on Passyunk. :headbang:

I'm more concerned about him acclimatizing to the NBA from Euro-ball.  I keep seeing him look at his feet before he shoots, as if he's checking where he is on the floor.  It's gotta be slowing down his shot, if not throwing it off altogether.  Anybody ever seen him do that in Turkey or FIBA?

That's one bad haircut he's got up top there.  Somebody gotta get him down to one of the crop shops on Passyunk. :headbang:

I'm more concerned about him acclimatizing to the NBA from Euro-ball.  I keep seeing him look at his feet before he shoots, as if he's checking where he is on the floor.  It's gotta be slowing down his shot, if not throwing it off altogether.  Anybody ever seen him do that in Turkey or FIBA?
Who is this now?

He is a good defender and with Noel  not being extended, theoretically the Sixers might gamble on Embiid staying healthy and pairing Embiid and Holmes as a more natural fit (at least some of the time) and then use okafor as more of a scorer earlier  in games and less in crunch time.  I think Nate Duncan mentioned something like this in passing last week.

I don't know if okafor's defensive problems are partly due to a lack of core agility, but he really seems like he just completely falls asleep on defense sometimes. 
it's almost fascinating to see how bad Okafor can be on defense. the guy has been coached for the NBA for awhile, and he just seems to have almost no desire to play D. The :tinfoilhat: in me would almost think he is doing it on purpose.

and I am excited for Noel to get on the court with Embiid. if they can work well together i'm not sure any team can score on them in the paint reliably

Man, why in the world does the mgmt and everyone else want to trade Noel and keep Okafor. Every game i watch it is clear as crystal. I know management will likely have to accept less then they want for a trade, but i think they have to make a move at some point. I guess there is no rush since they aren't going to go anywhere, but i can't see this going on for the rest of the year

modogg said:
Man, why in the world does the mgmt and everyone else want to trade Noel and keep Okafor. Every game i watch it is clear as crystal. I know management will likely have to accept less then they want for a trade, but i think they have to make a move at some point. I guess there is no rush since they aren't going to go anywhere, but i can't see this going on for the rest of the year
I think a move will be made. Just wish Hinkie was here. He'd probably already have made the move and set us up with several #1's or a guard by now. 

modogg said:
I have heard speculation that they are trying to showcase Okafor more in order to get a bite.

Also, Noel's contract situation is a problem.  Are you ready to pay him 80 million or more?  I also don't think they were happy with him getting that surgery.

I have heard speculation that they are trying to showcase Okafor more in order to get a bite.

Also, Noel's contract situation is a problem.  Are you ready to pay him 80 million or more?  I also don't think they were happy with him getting that surgery.
well that makes me more hopeful, the only problem is the showcasing of Okafor is going to decrease his value. Agreed with the tricky situation with Noel's contract, but who knows what he will ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread