What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you listen to music at home? (1 Viewer)

Sonos setup with playbar and subwoofer - Streaming music from my phone that is either stored there or through Spotify.

In the bedroom: Amazon Echo tied in with Spotify Premium. Also have a few specific playlists in Amazon Music for going to sleep and the sexy times. 

In the shower and kitchen: Spotify Premium on the phone with a cheap waterproof Bluetooth speaker.

In the living room: Apple Music or Pandora on Apple TV coming through the TV Soundbar.

In the car/work: Spotify on phone with AUX port, bluetooth speaker in office, earbuds when concentrating/ignoring others.

Pandora was always my first love, and I come back to her from time to time. Slacker Radio had it's moments, and Apple Music just seems like the right choice with the devices I have, but love Spotify Premium. Just wish they had an Apple TV app. Although a Dot attached to real speakers would be a better solution long term.

That said, the new Amazon Music service is tempting at the 4 dollar a month price point.

Wait, so I can listen t my iTunes library through Spotify?  There are a number of songs I have on iTunes that I can't get in Spotify, but I'll never listen to my iPod again.  If I could get them into Spotify and listen via mobile app I would be one happy camper.
Yeah, Spotify does this.

Why would you still need to use iTunes if you have Spotify premium?
I have a ton of albums that I uploaded into iTunes that aren't available on Spotify. Mostly indie stuff from my college days in the early 90s. Also I have two kids who insist on Taylor Swift as much as possible. Not on Spotify Premium.

I have a ton of albums that I uploaded into iTunes that aren't available on Spotify. Mostly indie stuff from my college days in the early 90s. Also I have two kids who insist on Taylor Swift as much as possible. Not on Spotify Premium.
Sounds like a blessing. 

Phone + Bluetooth speakers.  I'm enjoying Pandora's Thumbprint Radio right now, which I'm not paying for, so I deal with the ads.  I have a bunch of music stored on my phone too and use that with headphones when I'm out of wifi range.  

Phone + Bluetooth speakers.  I'm enjoying Pandora's Thumbprint Radio right now, which I'm not paying for, so I deal with the ads.  I have a bunch of music stored on my phone too and use that with headphones when I'm out of wifi range.  

Great.  I'm behind the guy who can't install netflix.

SONOS.

Sound is absolutely superb, and it uses Wifi instead of bluetooth so the connection is much better.

Can't recommend enough.

In the bedroom: Amazon Echo tied in with Spotify Premium. Also have a few specific playlists in Amazon Music for going to sleep and the sexy times. 

In the shower and kitchen: Spotify Premium on the phone with a cheap waterproof Bluetooth speaker.

In the living room: Apple Music or Pandora on Apple TV coming through the TV Soundbar.

In the car/work: Spotify on phone with AUX port, bluetooth speaker in office, earbuds when concentrating/ignoring others.

Pandora was always my first love, and I come back to her from time to time. Slacker Radio had it's moments, and Apple Music just seems like the right choice with the devices I have, but love Spotify Premium. Just wish they had an Apple TV app. Although a Dot attached to real speakers would be a better solution long term.

That said, the new Amazon Music service is tempting at the 4 dollar a month price point.
This is what I hate about the current state of digital media.  I just want one thing that works everywhere.  

This is what I hate about the current state of digital media.  I just want one thing that works everywhere.  
Honestly, I'm lazy. While a Spotify app on Apple TV would solve almost everything, I could take the time and effort and make Spotify work everywhere pretty easy. That, and sometimes I like something outside of Spotify's algorithm. A Halestorm or Quiet Company station on Pandora plays different music than the same stations on Spotify. 

The only problem that remains is not having a service that has EVERY song and album, and if I had to guess, Google/YouTube will have that solved eventually.

With Spotify, you can link your music (for instance thru an iTunes library) so that you can create playlists with both your music and theirs. The only issue is you can't share the music that is yours with others. They will show up in the playlist, but your friend will be unable to play them.

I have not had a problem with this. I have been having other issues with my music (media drive crashed, now trying to bring everything back together.)
Why would you still need to use iTunes if you have Spotify premium?
I use iTunes for organizing music locally on my machine. You can use other sources.

How to Add Your Own Music to Spotify and Sync to Mobile

We’ve talked about all the ways you can add your own music to the iTunes/iCloud ecosystem, but did you know its closest competitor in the streaming space Spotify can do the same thing? By fuddling with a just few settings between your desktop and mobile devices, you can make any local files accessible from wherever you are in the world in an instant.

Adding Local Music to the Desktop Client

First, make sure the song or songs you want to add are properly synced up in your desktop client and have been either recorded yourself, or you own the DRM rights to share it among multiple devices. Any songs with DRM restrictions will not be able to sync with the Spotify service and will only open in media players that are designed to put in DRM requests with central servers.

For Windows users, Spotify will automatically scan your Downloads, Documents, and Music folders for any potential tracks that might be stored on the machine. Mac users will need to load any files they want into their iTunes, My Music, or Downloads folder if they expect the service to catch them on its own. Any other folders can be added by going into Preferences, scrolling down to “Local Files” and clicking “Add a Source”, near the bottom.

With the folder added, any non-DRM restricted music contained within will be immediately imported into the Spotify library, found under the “Local Files” tab in the main menu tree.

anything and everything through my sonos set up. Every room has a speaker and its so easy to turn room s on and off. 

My wife is the music snob and I could have gotten away with a walkman, but I have to say, I love the system. Its a bit expensive, but we just added on a little at a time. 

normally we rotate music between XM, Spotify and Pandora. 

Last edited by a moderator:
anything and everything through my sonos set up. Every room has a speaker and its so easy to turn room s on and off. 

My wife is the music snob and I could have gotten away with a walkman, but I have to say, I love the system. Its a bit expensive, but we just added on a little at a time. 

normally we rotate music between XM, Spotify and Pandora. 
Sonos rules.

amazon music, I pay $25 a year to upload my library, good up to 100,000 songs.  Just paid $25 for the itunes match which is also avaialble now up to 100,000 songs, before it was only good up to 25,000 songs.  I have over 50,000 songs, so wanted to get the music in a cloud in several spots in case of hard drive and backup failures.

I have a monthly Pandora account and Amazon prime.

I listen to both at home via Amazon Echo, which is a very cool little item.

Got a tape recorder set up next to my AM radio set to the oldies stations. Shark move by me is not recording the commercials.

I figure it's over 6 months continuous without repeating a song.  A friend of mine used to work in a record (CD) store and we ganged up on this over 15 years ago ripping every CD we could get our hands on.  Then we figured out how to download music, discographies and such.  

Apple Music or Plex on the go (commute/work).  Used to use Spotify Premium, but the lack of ability to have my music alongside the rental music when listening via the mobile app put me to Apple Music where the regular discounts on iTunes Gift cards brings the family plan to $12 a month.  I have my 540GB+ (and growing) collection of music (ripped as MP3 at 320) on Plex and mirrored to iTunes via my QNAP server.

Primarily use Sonos at home - it plays well with everything (Apple Music and Plex again as my primaries, but have had no issues in the past when I have used Spotify/Google Music/Amazon/Groove) with the added bonus of having TuneIt for radio stations.  It was very expensive to put together my collection of speakers, but having the same song throughout the house at tolerable levels for all rooms is worth it as we now listen to far more music in the house on a daily basis.
Are you saying you can use iTunes gift cards to pay for your monthly Apple Music bill?

Yep, Heos is Denon's version of it. I found them to sound very similar but the Heos would have pretty awesome discounts on Amazon so that's why I went Heos.
The prices on Amazon are pretty amazing vs MSRP.  But boy are these things ugly.  The old model 7 is only 299.  I may have to give it a shot.  

Apple Music or Plex on the go (commute/work).  Used to use Spotify Premium, but the lack of ability to have my music alongside the rental music when listening via the mobile app put me to Apple Music where the regular discounts on iTunes Gift cards brings the family plan to $12 a month.  I have my 540GB+ (and growing) collection of music (ripped as MP3 at 320) on Plex and mirrored to iTunes via my QNAP server.

Primarily use Sonos at home - it plays well with everything (Apple Music and Plex again as my primaries, but have had no issues in the past when I have used Spotify/Google Music/Amazon/Groove) with the added bonus of having TuneIt for radio stations.  It was very expensive to put together my collection of speakers, but having the same song throughout the house at tolerable levels for all rooms is worth it as we now listen to far more music in the house on a daily basis.
Are you saying you can use iTunes gift cards to pay for your monthly Apple Music bill?
From Apple.com

About valid payment methods

When you first sign up for an Apple Music membership, you can choose only one of these payment methods:

• Credit card
  • Debit card
  • Mobile phone billing (through supported carriers)
  • Mobile phone service provider bundling (through supported carriers)
    Make sure not to join Apple Music through both Apple and your mobile phone service provider, or you will be charged by both.
  • iTunes and Apple Music Gift Cards
    Learn more about how to redeem gift cards.
  • None, to use store credit (if you're signing up for more than 1 month of membership)
    To use store credit to pay for your Apple Music membership, you must have enough store credit to cover the amount of your first renewal. Learn how to add store credit to your account.
After you sign up, you can change your payment method to a different method, such as PayPal. Learn more about payment methods.

You can use store credit to pay for your Apple Music membership, but you must have enough store credit to cover the amount of your first renewal. Learn how to add store credit to your account.

The prices on Amazon are pretty amazing vs MSRP.  But boy are these things ugly.  The old model 7 is only 299.  I may have to give it a shot.  
They sound just as good as Sonos IMO. I did a side by side of the whole lineup. The 7 is outstanding, I have the 5 which is really impressive as well.

ETA a bit :oldunsure: about Amazon saying they are discontinued. Nothing about it on the Denon site.

They sound just as good as Sonos IMO. I did a side by side of the whole lineup. The 7 is outstanding, I have the 5 which is really impressive as well.

ETA a bit :oldunsure: about Amazon saying they are discontinued. Nothing about it on the Denon site.
From the 30 seconds of investigation, they it appears they just have a new version that has bluetooth. This is unconfirmed.    

Almost always on the computer from iTunes. Too much work nowadays to bust out the CDs and put them in the stereo, especially since a lot of newer stuff I only bought digitally, so I don't own a lot of stuff on CD anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread