Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Bitcoin-Explain to me how to buy these things


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, unckeyherb said:

interesting.  That was my understanding when I bought it in 2016 I think?  I'll be honest, I've not kept up with Crypto at all.  
Since you've been an owner longer than me, in your opinion, what is the long term outlook for ADA?  Price predictions here range from $0.20 to $70, Lol.  

I feel like I just found $10k on the street.  Wondering if I just let it roll or should I pull it as found money and be happy.

I’m likely more bullish on Cardano than most.  What I like about it is that the team took an extremely methodical and scientific approach to building it through a rigorous process that included validating their development and direction through a multitude of peer-reviewed academic/research papers.

You’ve actually been an owner much longer than me.  I bought in 6-7 months ago.  I do think it has a long term future and the fact that it’s survived this long is working in its favor.  As for price prediction...don’t know.  But Stan Druckenmiller once said about investing ‘I put all my eggs in one basket, and then I watch that basket very carefully’.

Thats my strategy here.

Edited by TheDirtyWord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

Funny, I opened this thread up yesterday to ask almost the same question but ended up bailing. 

I first heard of it a few years back not long after I started understanding more about BTC. The connection to the Brave browser helped it make a lot of sense for me. 

I didn't buy at the time (sadly) but bought in a bit at the end of January when I finally set up a Coinbase account for some BTC/ETH. Bought in a couple more times over the next 6 weeks or so and while I don't have a ton in there I'm realizing, like you, that it could possibly turn into something I'd consider significant. 

So all that to say I'd love to also hear thoughts on BAT from the people who really understand/follow crypto. 

Real Vision: Brave Browser - Taking Back Control of Your Data...

Brendan Eich, founder and CEO of Brave, joins Ash Bennington, Real Vision senior editor, to discuss the Brave browser, basic attention token (BAT), and controlling your own data. Eich explains that Brave was created as a way for users to control the ads and cookies in their browser, noting that simply blocking ads and removing data hurts publishers. He wanted to allow both Brave users and publishers to benefit, so the basic attention token was created to allow users to pay publishers while still coordinating their own ad preferences. Describing Brave as leading the way in implementing data privacy for browsers, Eich states that their mission is to increase accessibility to privacy tools for the masses, putting the control of user data back into the users’ hands while also supporting publishers. Filmed on January 29, 2021.

Key Learnings: Brave is a browser aimed at supporting privacy and user-controlled data while supporting publishers and content creators. Privacy tools are becoming increasingly accessible to average users, and Brave pushes this to the next level by embedding user control in the browser. Regulators and users are demanding more user control and privacy of data, pointing to the fact that society is moving towards a user-centric era of data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ex-ghost said:

1:30est ipo?

I guess, but I meant just in general.  Usually after a big jump in BTC (like yesterday) you get a dip.  The dip usually goes into the alt coins and they start jumping.   Hoping that happens with BAT, REN and ADA.  

Is it okay to talk alt coins here?  The board needs to figure this out!  We have this thread, the cavalier crypto thread and the stock thread gets muddles down with it too.  

I feel like this should be the place for all crypto talk.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jb1020 said:

I guess, but I meant just in general.  Usually after a big jump in BTC (like yesterday) you get a dip.  The dip usually goes into the alt coins and they start jumping.   Hoping that happens with BAT, REN and ADA.  

Is it okay to talk alt coins here?  The board needs to figure this out!  We have this thread, the cavalier crypto thread and the stock thread gets muddles down with it too.  

I feel like this should be the place for all crypto talk.  

Agreed. Post away imo. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ex-ghost said:

Probably the best action would be to merge the two threads. 

No the Cav one should be separate imo. Merging would be a mess at this point. That thread has some great history and it would get lost of they were combined. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, CR69 said:

No the Cav one should be separate imo. Merging would be a mess at this point. That thread has some great history and it would get lost of they were combined. 

Oh well, we are doomed to have two threads I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ex-ghost said:

Oh well, we are doomed to have two threads I guess.

 

6 hours ago, Capella said:

the cav one is just for people who invested in that club. Shouldn’t be merged, it’s very specific (the specificity is losing money). 

Exactly. Let the people who made money on crypto hang out here 🤣🤣

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I moved off of LINK last night when it hit $40.  Avg buy on that one was $24.75.  Its moved on to $42 (and likely higher), but I'm not trying to be greedy.  

Sold some ATOM too last night .  Bought in a week ago just below $21.  Converted about 30% of that.  

Bought a little BTC, but put most of the profits into ADA and BAT.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jb1020 said:

I moved off of LINK last night when it hit $40.  Avg buy on that one was $24.75.  Its moved on to $42 (and likely higher), but I'm not trying to be greedy.  

Sold some ATOM too last night .  Bought in a week ago just below $21.  Converted about 30% of that.  

Bought a little BTC, but put most of the profits into ADA and BAT.  

 

I'm boring. I've been pretty much 50/50 BTC/ETH since 2015. I had some random stuff that I consolidated last year into those two but did hang on to my XRP. That looked like a bad move until recently lol. Now I'm like 45/45/10 between those three. 

I've been trying to learn about yield farming but it seems way too risky for my taste so I'll probably just stick with holding BTC and staking ETH. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I'm boring. I've been pretty much 50/50 BTC/ETH since 2015. I had some random stuff that I consolidated last year into those two but did hang on to my XRP. That looked like a bad move until recently lol. Now I'm like 45/45/10 between those three. 

I've been trying to learn about yield farming but it seems way too risky for my taste so I'll probably just stick with holding BTC and staking ETH. 

I do the same.  My mindset has changed a little over the last 2 months (with the alts), but for now I'm holding BTC, ETH and LTC long term.  I have them all earning interest on Blockfi thanks to @TheDirtyWord.  Thats been a nice little money maker.  I don't know much about yield farming.  Blockfi pays 6% on BTC, 5.2% on ETH and 6.5% monthly.   

BTC - 65%

ETH - 20%

LTC is maybe 2%, but I'm adding to it. 

Everything else is ALT coins right now, I do hold XRP and BEPRO.  I don't have much XRP.  Wish I did!  Bepro is a 2-5 year hold.

I think there's money to be made playing the alt coin game.  Time will tell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

I do the same.  My mindset has changed a little over the last 2 months (with the alts), but for now I'm holding BTC, ETH and LTC long term.  I have them all earning interest on Blockfi thanks to @TheDirtyWord.  Thats been a nice little money maker.  I don't know much about yield farming.  Blockfi pays 6% on BTC, 5.2% on ETH and 6.5% monthly.   

BTC - 65%

ETH - 20%

LTC is maybe 2%, but I'm adding to it. 

Everything else is ALT coins right now, I do hold XRP and BEPRO.  I don't have much XRP.  Wish I did!  Bepro is a 2-5 year hold.

I think there's money to be made playing the alt coin game.  Time will tell. 

I've been in crypto for a long time and was even on a team that launched some coins back in the day. There is definitely money to be made in alts but things change so quickly and I just don't have time to keep up on everything in a 24/7 market where a github push or 2am tweet can wreck your investment.  

I probably should move my stuff to BlockFi but also come from the "old school" where not your keys means not your coins so I don't really trust anything where I'm not in control. Seen way too many sites and exchanges disappear overnight in the last 8 years. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Are there any major differences using Webull for crypto (mostly BTC) rather than say Coinbase?  

Am I too late?

Not too late.  And i haven’t personally heard of webull.  Maybe someone else has.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Not too late.  And i haven’t personally heard of webull.  Maybe someone else has.

 

36 minutes ago, Bobcat10 said:

Are there any major differences using Webull for crypto (mostly BTC) rather than say Coinbase?  

Am I too late?

Don’t use WeBull...you can’t trade between other cryptos.  No portability.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you need other coins I’d suggest kucoin.  Coinbase is fine to stsrt with but if you want to dabble in Alts you will likely not find many on coinbase.  Xrp for example was delisted for trading.  The only thing is kucoin isn’t very user friendly.  And you likely would need to find via Coinbase then buy btc or eth or ltc and then xfer that to kucoin.  Kind of a pain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PinkydaPimp said:

If you need other coins I’d suggest kucoin.  Coinbase is fine to stsrt with but if you want to dabble in Alts you will likely not find many on coinbase.  Xrp for example was delisted for trading.  The only thing is kucoin isn’t very user friendly.  And you likely would need to find via Coinbase then buy btc or eth or ltc and then xfer that to kucoin.  Kind of a pain. 

Voyager is another one that’s popped up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2021 at 9:33 AM, CR69 said:

I'm boring. I've been pretty much 50/50 BTC/ETH since 2015. I had some random stuff that I consolidated last year into those two but did hang on to my XRP. That looked like a bad move until recently lol. Now I'm like 45/45/10 between those three. 

I've been trying to learn about yield farming but it seems way too risky for my taste so I'll probably just stick with holding BTC and staking ETH. 

I’m basically just tossing like $5k in every time Coinbase lists a new crypto.  I have some BTC and ETH of course, but I’m thinking why not spread across the new case.  Some of those will surely flop, but if just one hits, it could work out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ex-ghost said:

Power blackout in China. Mining stopped. 

It was this combined with a huge sell off after.  Hard to say if both were planned which would make an interesting story.

there was some FUD about the government crashing down on financial institutions for helping people to use BTC for illegal activity but it was BS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I jumped into crypto a little harder this week as well. I had dipped my toe in before (I have a little bit of Doge), but bought into safe moon early this week, and just pulled the trigger on two helium miners/routers. Let's freakin' go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I’m basically just tossing like $5k in every time Coinbase lists a new crypto.  I have some BTC and ETH of course, but I’m thinking why not spread across the new case.  Some of those will surely flop, but if just one hits, it could work out. 

Whoa. It could of course but most of them won’t. That would be like throwing $5k into every stock IPO lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone know how it will work with PayPal come year end with the crypto transactions?

If I'm buying/selling bitcoin through them over the year, will they simply issue a 1099 similar to stock trades?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

***Not investment advice***
 

younknow on Wall Street when the right bunch of crooks are running on the same thing it never ends well but in the short term something can run 10X?

im getting that feeling from SafeMoon.  It’s a professional pump crew on this one with memes and constant Twitter, insta and TikTok pumping.

all “the right” pump and dumpers are in this one.  Brand new coin you can get tens of millions of it for 1K - it’s up 100% today.

I put some (very) disposable money in today knowing it’s likely it will be back to zero eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Ref said:

***Not investment advice***
 

younknow on Wall Street when the right bunch of crooks are running on the same thing it never ends well but in the short term something can run 10X?

im getting that feeling from SafeMoon.  It’s a professional pump crew on this one with memes and constant Twitter, insta and TikTok pumping.

all “the right” pump and dumpers are in this one.  Brand new coin you can get tens of millions of it for 1K - it’s up 100% today.

I put some (very) disposable money in today knowing it’s likely it will be back to zero eventually.

Been hearing safemoon.  Need to look into it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, The Ref said:

***Not investment advice***
 

younknow on Wall Street when the right bunch of crooks are running on the same thing it never ends well but in the short term something can run 10X?

im getting that feeling from SafeMoon.  It’s a professional pump crew on this one with memes and constant Twitter, insta and TikTok pumping.

all “the right” pump and dumpers are in this one.  Brand new coin you can get tens of millions of it for 1K - it’s up 100% today.

I put some (very) disposable money in today knowing it’s likely it will be back to zero eventually.

Supposed to be listed on 2 exchanges wed/thu. they’re also supposed to be releasing details about a game they are developing. Should be a good week.
 

The deflationary model should mitigate a true dump decline with the re-distribution to long term holders. As the whales sell off, the holders increase their percentage. I’ve picked up almost 2 million shares over the past 5-6 days by doing absolutely nothing. Admittedly, I know next to nothing when it comes to crypto, but logic indicates that this model should temper the chances of a significant price crash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, The Ref said:

***Not investment advice***
 

younknow on Wall Street when the right bunch of crooks are running on the same thing it never ends well but in the short term something can run 10X?

im getting that feeling from SafeMoon.  It’s a professional pump crew on this one with memes and constant Twitter, insta and TikTok pumping.

all “the right” pump and dumpers are in this one.  Brand new coin you can get tens of millions of it for 1K - it’s up 100% today.

I put some (very) disposable money in today knowing it’s likely it will be back to zero eventually.

No, not crooks.  These are gentlemen that like to discuss trading strategies behind the closed doors of their private rich white clubs.   You want crooks?  Look at Roaring Kitty and those hoodlums that post on WBS/Reddit with all their sneaky, open for anyone to read, postings.  

Edited by beef
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2021 at 7:35 PM, JShare87 said:

Is this the Doge thread? I got 120,000 at 2 pennies and am still holding like an idiot. 

Tomorrow is your day!  If Doge doesn't explode on 4/20 I'll lose all faith in the meme lifestyle.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jb1020 said:

Tomorrow is your day!  If Doge doesn't explode on 4/20 I'll lose all faith in the meme lifestyle.  

Haha! I have a feeling it is going to crash bigly tomorrow.

Edited by JShare87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, The Ref said:

***Not investment advice***
 

younknow on Wall Street when the right bunch of crooks are running on the same thing it never ends well but in the short term something can run 10X?

im getting that feeling from SafeMoon.  It’s a professional pump crew on this one with memes and constant Twitter, insta and TikTok pumping.

all “the right” pump and dumpers are in this one.  Brand new coin you can get tens of millions of it for 1K - it’s up 100% today.

I put some (very) disposable money in today knowing it’s likely it will be back to zero eventually.

Looked into it....what's the utility of the coin? Otherwise, it just sounds like a ponzi scheme with existing shareholders get 5% cut on each transaction. 

The 10% tax isn't going to stop someone up 500% from selling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Charlie Harper said:

Looked into it....what's the utility of the coin? Otherwise, it just sounds like a ponzi scheme with existing shareholders get 5% cut on each transaction. 

The 10% tax isn't going to stop someone up 500% from selling.

The utility is its a Ponzi that’s up 300% in 4 days that has an entire organized and funded group behind it with the expressed purpose of a pump and dump.

could be 0 by the end of the week, could be up 10000%

Edited by The Ref
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Ref said:

The utility is its a Ponzi that’s up 300% in 4 days that has an entire organized and funded group behind it with the expressed purpose of a pump and dump.

could be 0 by the end of the week, could be up 10000%

Just double checking. Gonna dump some money from ALT coins into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's the current temperature on Bitcoin with the flash drop this past weekend? It's recovered a bit, but reading some speculating that it could still drop a bit more still, but who knows.....

Bullish? 

Bearish?

Of course, why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
  • Create New...