What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bitcoin-Explain to me how to buy these things (1 Viewer)

is anyone staking their ADA?  any tips?

I think my project this week will be selecting a wallet and figuring out how staking works.  
I use Yoroi mainly because it was pretty easy. Make sure, if you pick this one, you choose Shelley over Byron because you can only stake with the newer Shelley version. 

BTW, for those having trouble getting signed up with Binance.US, give Kraken a look.  I went to them after having trouble getting a business account through Binance and their customer service was excellent.  They don't carry as many coins as Binance, and their fees may be a little higher, but in general I find it's a decent exchange.  

I use Yoroi mainly because it was pretty easy. Make sure, if you pick this one, you choose Shelley over Byron because you can only stake with the newer Shelley version. 
Hey hey old buddy. Did you download Daedalus like me and say eph this? Cardano's featured wallet is a resource hog. Yoroi is the lightweight version for us lightweights.

Also Dan, who I keep linking to, has a sweet pool for staking Cardano. That link is a how to. Dan is certain ADA will overtake Eth. If he's right... a deluxe apartment in the sky.

Hey hey old buddy. Did you download Daedalus like me and say eph this? Cardano's featured wallet is a resource hog. Yoroi is the lightweight version for us lightweights.

Also Dan, who I keep linking to, has a sweet pool for staking Cardano. That link is a how to. Dan is certain ADA will overtake Eth. If he's right... a deluxe apartment in the sky.
 I follow Dan and like his technical analysis, but I can't help but think he has no fundamental rationale for his love of Cardano.  I never hear him talk about the tech behind it or why it's better than ETH, SOL, DOT, etc.  Maybe I need to go back to his older stuff to understand why he loves it so much.   

I follow Dan and like his technical analysis, but I can't help but think he has no fundamental rationale for his love of Cardano.  I never hear him talk about the tech behind it or why it's better than ETH, SOL, DOT, etc.  Maybe I need to go back to his older stuff to understand why he loves it so much.   
He's a shill for that pool he pimps before praying for us. ;)

It's still a decent way to stake ADA. This he's covered convincingly enough.

He's a shill for that pool he pimps before praying for us. ;)

It's still a decent way to stake ADA. This he's covered convincingly enough.
Ha.  He's the only crypto guy I follow on Twitter who gives the occasional shoutout to JC.  He walks the walk so I give him props.

Those staking rewards do sound enticing.  One day I'll have to confidence to start getting stuff off the exchanges.  I just don't trust myself right now.  How do you keep track of it all?

subscribed. perfect argument for stablecoins in uncertain times. i probably have too much "on the side" as he says, but it sure makes me comfortable. i'm using eth for my homerun swings because i like stablecoins more for now. 
What did he have to say? Out of pocket all day. 

What did he have to say? Out of pocket all day. 
basically be prepared for the worst (stablecoins) and hope for the best. used charts to show a bear market is very possible. made arguments for btc below 30. didn't predict it, just wanted to make sure the irrational exuberance is in check. 

basically be prepared for the worst (stablecoins) and hope for the best. used charts to show a bear market is very possible. made arguments for btc below 30. didn't predict it, just wanted to make sure the irrational exuberance is in check. 
Thanks. I picked up 2 more eth yesterday and some ada. Can’t say these prices bother me. 

Ha.  He's the only crypto guy I follow on Twitter who gives the occasional shoutout to JC.  He walks the walk so I give him props.

Those staking rewards do sound enticing.  One day I'll have to confidence to start getting stuff off the exchanges.  I just don't trust myself right now.  How do you keep track of it all?
It's not much to track at the moment - ada, busd, usdt, cake and some its offspring, a little eth, and feed every gorilla, :pickle:

wallets aren't so busy like exchanges. I use four in one folder on brave. pretty simple. my other crypto folder is a hot mess of stuff i follow, dedicated social media accts, things i bookmarked and don't remember why and bla bla bla. 

Do the different pools have different rewards?

Is there some other advantage to choosing the “right” pool?

I’m going to spend some time researching this and making my own decision, I just need to know what questions I’m trying to answer.  

I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge.  

He could take a pencil to his id and sketch in the goater. 
In my partially drunk state I debated trying that, or putting a skin colored piece of paper on my face to try and trick it.  The email I got in the morning said I failed the ID scan, so maybe my hand was shaking or the lighting was bad and that is why it failed.  Will try again tonight or tomorrow.

Do the different pools have different rewards?

Is there some other advantage to choosing the “right” pool?

I’m going to spend some time researching this and making my own decision, I just need to know what questions I’m trying to answer.  

I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge.  
You might be overthinking this. For me the question is how's the easiest way to do this. As mentioned above, I downloaded both Cardano wallets (uninstalled on the hour). So I decided against Dan's method. Atomic Wallet made it too simple, and it's where I already had unstaked ADA.

As for choosing the right pool, who knows? Comes down to luck and even the lucky just do a little better than the unlucky, afaik.

BTC and a few of the other coins are great.

Unfortunately the entire sector moves together.

As the 95%+ of garbage coins get slaughtered the entire market will go down with it.

The bottom for BTC/ETH/and a couple other solid coins is when the garbage coins lose most of their value.  

@me when that happens.  I'll re-enter BTC/ETH then.  

Longterm anyone in the majors will be fine.  

My wife, who's watched me do nothing but consume crypto content on Youtube for the past three months, asked me if I'm still learning a lot.  After pondering the question for a bit, I came to the conclusion that no, I'm not learning a lot.  Why?  Because I've fallen into a hole where the majority of my time is spent watching "influencers" pontificate about where prices are going next.  While it's certainly entertaining to me, I don't think it's adding a ton of value.  

Since I do want to be more educated, I've vowed to take a deeper dive into projects rather than watch someone ramble on about whether they're bullish or bearish that day.  My goal is to devote an entire week to one project and then report my findings in this thread.  This week will be Polkadot/Kusama.  

If others want to challenge themselves with a similar endeavor, I think it would be great to have a few of us working to research the space.  There's way too much out there for us to consume individually, but perhaps collectively we can put a dent in it and make some money together.  

Expect a report on DOT/KSM next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife, who's watched me do nothing but consume crypto content on Youtube for the past three months, asked me if I'm still learning a lot.  After pondering the question for a bit, I came to the conclusion that no, I'm not learning a lot.  Why?  Because I've fallen into a hole where the majority of my time is spent watching "influencers" pontificate about where prices are going next.  While it's certainly entertaining to me, I don't think it's adding a ton of value.  

Since I do want to be more educated, I've vowed to take a deeper dive into projects rather than watch someone ramble on about whether they're bullish or bearish that day.  My goal is to devote an entire week to one project and then report my findings in this thread.  This week will be Polkadot/Kusama.  

If others want to challenge themselves with a similar endeavor, I think it would be great to have a few of us working to research the space.  There's way too much out there for us to consume individually, but perhaps collectively we can put a dent in it and make some money together.  

This is an easy hole to fall down actually.  As you start to get more financially invested/committed, you start to narrow your areas of focus.  To be fair, the amount of projects out there is way too numerous to keep track, but still…you can get tunnel vision real easy.  I’ve tried to stay focused on the macro as much as possible.

BTW - this tweet largely explains why I identified crypto as the place to invest…

What's up, old pal? I just went to the Cardano reddit page and read through the pinned page and explored options that way. 

Yes yes. I did this in isolation through 2020 while hodling btc, my dwindling eth, lil doge, nothing else. I used CoinMarketCap's information on each coin's page. It's a start. Then going to the project's websites, linked on those pages, helps get to know the project. Following their twitters keeps you current. Finding founder/developer interviews may be the best source. You motivated me to do this again, less talking heads.

To quote Charles in the 7 hours I spent listening to him, he laughs and says, "Everything is price price price with you guys. I don't care about price. I don't like predictions. It's about the projects, the work being done. It's the only value that matters."

I'd love an influencer who does this or a thorough website. CoinMarketCap is actively seeking writers to do more. I thought it would be a super fun job. Still do, but I'm lazy. CoinTelegraph reports on ecosystem progress and development some. 

I have a sis who finally jumped in with PayPal. Just a few months and she's a junkie. She'll ask me about, i dunno, Polygon and Celo. I'll go on for five minutes and it blows her mind that I have 150+ cryptos in my head. I can usually answer George's Q&As before and just like he does. I'm not smart. I don't math good. I am not a sponge. I go back and read it over and over again sometimes. And I organized it by, er, industry? These ecosystems are going after financial services, these nfts, these smart contract blockchains, these defi exchanges, bla bla. Have fun.

What's up, old pal? I just went to the Cardano reddit page and read through the pinned page and explored options that way. 
I'm good. I looked at staking ada that way too. Reddit is a great source on this topic, but so many seemed to be run by some kid in his mom's basement, I just went with an established crypto company. Pretty sure all the pools are the same. 

This is an easy hole to fall down actually.  As you start to get more financially invested/committed, you start to narrow your areas of focus.  To be fair, the amount of projects out there is way too numerous to keep track, but still…you can get tunnel vision real easy.  I’ve tried to stay focused on the macro as much as possible.

BTW - this tweet largely explains why I identified crypto as the place to invest…
Unfortunately, I "FOMOed in" when BTC was trading in the 50s and all the crapcoins were 10Xing.  I'm not in the worst position, but I wish I would have scaled in a bit so I had more ammunition for this pullback.  I told my wife when I started we're either going to make $500,000 or lose $50K.  Well, I got a little too close to the latter a couple weeks ago.  

And I organized it by, er, industry? These ecosystems are going after financial services, these nfts, these smart contract blockchains, these defi exchanges, bla bla. Have fun.
Yeah...that would be my plan.  Organize them into categories under the different ecosystems.  I've already learned a ton on DOT just by listening to about an hour's worth of stuff on Youtube.  There are some excellent influencers who provide good detail on the projects.  Coin Bureau, EllioTrades, and Hashoshi come to mind.  

Does it take awhile for USDT to hit your wallet?

I requested a complete withdrawl of this from my online poker account last night. This morning when I logged into the poker site my account is at zero. But my Blockchain.com wallet still hasn't received the funds. At least I don't think it has. I know I did the withdrawl correctly too - receiving address starting x0. What should I do? My money is out there in limbo.

Consolidated my holdings to three core coins I keep on BlockFi to earn interest (BTC, ETH, LINK) and five FOMO speculative coins that seem to have decent momentum/backing (ADA, YFI, CRV, GRT, MATIC). 

Does it take awhile for USDT to hit your wallet?

I requested a complete withdrawl of this from my online poker account last night. This morning when I logged into the poker site my account is at zero. But my Blockchain.com wallet still hasn't received the funds. At least I don't think it has. I know I did the withdrawl correctly too - receiving address starting x0. What should I do? My money is out there in limbo.
When 5Dimes pooped the bed, they sent my btc with such a low fee the miners ignored it for five days. At least customer support showed me the transaction so i knew it was in the system. Your poker site should do the same. 

Consolidated my holdings to three core coins I keep on BlockFi to earn interest (BTC, ETH, LINK) and five FOMO speculative coins that seem to have decent momentum/backing (ADA, YFI, CRV, GRT, MATIC). 
Nice allocation, I think. I am also going to keep it simple as I come out of stablecoins. I've been so tempted to play with YFIup and YFIdown. Yearn is a good project with some dangerous ideas. "up" just had a 300% day last week. One of my daily listens just pounds, NO leverage.

have any of you looked into VeChain?  

looking for something cheap that I can hold for a while.

every time I have some extra cash I'm going to grab something that looks interesting.

every time I have some extra cash I'm going to grab something that looks interesting.
I've got some VET.  I haven't done a deep dive into it, but have heard enough to know it has a solid team with a promising use case (supply chain management).  Progress was slowed down by the pandemic, but Covid also highlighted the need for services like VeChain.  

I think it's a great long long long term hold. Internet of things, transportation as a service, software directed supply chains, trustless AI. Smart niche for the future and the leader in those categories. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp, I can't help myself. Koji public sale, in for a small amount of eth. Only available for a few minutes. Then listing on Uni where it will likely nose-dive a bit. It's common. But, they're next objective is to be swappable on Feed Every Gorilla. lol. I am going to be a soldier in the FegArmy

Here's an example of why I'm a Feed Every Gorilla fool.

Cuban innocently tweets pro DAOs

The future of corporations could be very different as DAOs take on legacy businesses. It’s the ultimate combination of capitalism and progressivism. Entrepreneurs that enable DAOs can make $. If the community excels at governance, everyone shares in the upside. Trustless can pay
Now read the comments. The FEGArmy is relentless. I remember when DOGE-ers spammed every influencer's tweets this way. It was worth a third of a penny and less. Everyone understood it was a joke/meme vapor coin. It was powerful word of tweet advertising that drove a #### coin to big cap status. Feg is no meme. If you scroll down to Omid's first reply to Cuban, you'll see a list of what Feg has accomplished and it's just an embryo. Less Eth more Feg again. 

I own over a trillion feg now. lol And I'm not alone. Buys like that are happening every few minutes. I might be trying to start a fire by banging a rock against my head, but I've lost interest in other homerun swings. to the moon

Here's an example of why I'm a Feed Every Gorilla fool.

Cuban innocently tweets pro DAOs

Now read the comments. The FEGArmy is relentless. I remember when DOGE-ers spammed every influencer's tweets this way. It was worth a third of a penny and less. Everyone understood it was a joke/meme vapor coin. It was powerful word of tweet advertising that drove a #### coin to big cap status. Feg is no meme. If you scroll down to Omid's first reply to Cuban, you'll see a list of what Feg has accomplished and it's just an embryo. Less Eth more Feg again. 

I own over a trillion feg now. lol And I'm not alone. Buys like that are happening every few minutes. I might be trying to start a fire by banging a rock against my head, but I've lost interest in other homerun swings. to the moon
Alright, Ima FOMO in with ya, for no other reason than to learn how to trade on a blockchain directly.  Can you walk me through the steps?  

Probably me and open to any suggestions but these various exchanges are just a right royal PITA. Tried to get on Binance US again, 5th time my drivers license was kicked back. Reason? "DENIED_UNSUPPORTED_ID_TYPE We recommend uploading a driver's license with all four edges showing". Ok, you don't want my money, no problem.

How's about Kraken? Sure!!! Fund your account...alright!!! Gotta do a wire transfer  :loco:

They make it real hard to take my money. #OKBOOMER

Probably me and open to any suggestions but these various exchanges are just a right royal PITA. Tried to get on Binance US again, 5th time my drivers license was kicked back. Reason? "DENIED_UNSUPPORTED_ID_TYPE We recommend uploading a driver's license with all four edges showing". Ok, you don't want my money, no problem.

How's about Kraken? Sure!!! Fund your account...alright!!! Gotta do a wire transfer  :loco:

Damn.  That sucks.  I'm really not sure what's going on with Binance.  As I think I mentioned above, I got nowhere when trying to open a business account with them other than some emails thanking me for my patience.  My son and one of my employee's applications for new personal accounts are also in the Bermuda Triangle.  Are they really that understaffed that they can't take in new business?  I guess I should be thankful I got in when I did because their platform is great.  

Alright, Ima FOMO in with ya, for no other reason than to learn how to trade on a blockchain directly.  Can you walk me through the steps?  
Brother!

Some caveats:

Me walking you through the steps here be a tl/dr mess of epic proportions. It's not hard, but... read on.

For a few years backinaday, I gave as much FF advice in that forum as SigmundBloom. I was even asked if I wanted to join the idp staff here. But looking at the results of my advice was sad. I hurt people. lol For that and other reasons I respectfully declined.

I've posted several of my NBA bets and opinions in that thread here, and I am very consistently wrong. lol In a less civil conversation, I would be mocked.

I'm oblivious to it going to zero. Owning a trillion of something makes me smile. 

FEG founders are nothing special. It's a cut and paste (fork) of reflect.finance token with the supply tweaked , meme marketing added and an army of social media trolls. I laugh.

I'm using eth for the homerun swing. The gas is absurd. I lost as soon as I bought. And I laughed. 

Give Wes a watch. He has the right attitude and shows you how to buy. I chuckle through the whole 20 minutes. Even laughed pretty hard when the teeny price broke the tracker. But his vid got me in.

I used Trust Wallet and Pancake, because I have been playing with it since early January, but Uni seems a little easier platform to negotiate for now. This is more detailed instructions - Trust Wallet on Uni. All BinanceGuys need TrustWallet so that's your first move. But MetaMask is used in the first vid, and the choice of the reddit community for all things erc-20. Have fun. Take your time. Maybe youtube some other tutorials and editorials on FEED EVERY GORILLA. to the moon

Brother!

Some caveats:

Me walking you through the steps here be a tl/dr mess of epic proportions. It's not hard, but... read on.

For a few years backinaday, I gave as much FF advice in that forum as SigmundBloom. I was even asked if I wanted to join the idp staff here. But looking at the results of my advice was sad. I hurt people. lol For that and other reasons I respectfully declined.

I've posted several of my NBA bets and opinions in that thread here, and I am very consistently wrong. lol In a less civil conversation, I would be mocked.

I'm oblivious to it going to zero. Owning a trillion of something makes me smile. 

FEG founders are nothing special. It's a cut and paste (fork) of reflect.finance token with the supply tweaked , meme marketing added and an army of social media trolls. I laugh.

I'm using eth for the homerun swing. The gas is absurd. I lost as soon as I bought. And I laughed. 

Give Wes a watch. He has the right attitude and shows you how to buy. I chuckle through the whole 20 minutes. Even laughed pretty hard when the teeny price broke the tracker. But his vid got me in.

I used Trust Wallet and Pancake, because I have been playing with it since early January, but Uni seems a little easier platform to negotiate for now. This is more detailed instructions - Trust Wallet on Uni. All BinanceGuys need TrustWallet so that's your first move. But MetaMask is used in the first vid, and the choice of the reddit community for all things erc-20. Have fun. Take your time. Maybe youtube some other tutorials and editorials on FEED EVERY GORILLA. to the moon
Ha.  I appreciate the full disclosure and totally understand not wanting to feel responsible for someone else's potential losses.  That said, I'm fully accountable for my actions and throwing $200 at something I'll be learning from isn't an issue for me.  It'll prompt me to have the confidence to buy other legit projects directly off the chains.  Thanks for the info.  I'll report back with my experience.

BTW, for those having trouble getting signed up with Binance.US, give Kraken a look.  I went to them after having trouble getting a business account through Binance and their customer service was excellent.  They don't carry as many coins as Binance, and their fees may be a little higher, but in general I find it's a decent exchange.  
Would it be a good exchange to pair with Gemini to have more exposure to other coins? I don't want to sign up for too many of them but also want greater access without having to use something like Uniswap. I'm still learning in this space and just want to have options as my DeFi love is growing.

Hoskinson on ADA vs ETH vs DOT

Love the way this guy explains things.  It's always perfect but effortless for him.  
He has a very rare combo of being smart enough and the tech chops to do the backend work while still being able to speak language to normal people. It's very rare, and can be dangerous depending on goals, but if the heart is there that is what matters most. Love him IMO.

Would it be a good exchange to pair with Gemini to have more exposure to other coins? I don't want to sign up for too many of them but also want greater access without having to use something like Uniswap. I'm still learning in this space and just want to have options as my DeFi love is growing.
It does have a greater amount of coins, but I wouldn't think it's going to satisfy your desire to branch out a lot from Gemini.  If you don't mind a little regulatory risk, I'd suggest Kucoin.  They don't accept USD, so you'll have to transfer crypto from Gemini or another wallet to fund the account, but it has a whole lot more crypto options than the US-based exchanges.   

A friend of mine had success with Uphold. Not sure how their coin selection compares to the other exchanges. 

He has a very rare combo of being smart enough and the tech chops to do the backend work while still being able to speak language to normal people. It's very rare, and can be dangerous depending on goals, but if the heart is there that is what matters most. Love him IMO.
Conversely, I was watching one of the tech/marketers speak at Polkadot's Decoded presentation and it was a big, confusing word salad.  DOT's tech may very well be phenomenal, but if they aren't able to communicate and market it effectively, it will all be for naught.  

Users who are viewing this thread