What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trip to the UK advice (1 Viewer)

The Big Guy

Fear the Blitz
The wife is in the process of trying to book the family along with extended family this 2 week trip to England.  Seems like we are renting a house outside of town and trying to figure out what I am going to need to rent etc to make this a good time.

Car seems like a must (driving over there is going to be weird)

cell phone of some sort with data service (GPS will be needed at minimum on phone)

Any thoughts on what I am missing or things that you consider a must see.  I know my cell phone will not work over there (Sprint, no SIM card) and wonder if I can just buy a phone here and get a Euro SIM when I show up...what carrier if anyone knows etc.

Have you ever been there?  You say you're renting a house outside of 'town' - what town?

Renting a car is not that expensive, however, gas is very pricey, and parking in London is very expensive.  And driving is quite an experience. Besides everything on the wrong side, the roads are very narrow (other than the motorways).  Plus, weather can come into play depending on what time of year you are going there.

England country side is quite beautiful, as is Scotland.  If you are going up north, I'd avoid Glasgow and spend time in Edinburgh. 

I'd highly recommend spending at least a few days in Cotswolds if you can swing it.  Absolutely beautiful and tons of history.  You can do a few tours (bus and/or walking) and drive around.

I'd also recommend flying to Dublin and spending a few days in Ireland.  You can do some inexpensive tours such as paddywagon if you're so inclined.

If you have an specific questions ask away, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself can help, but I just spent a few weeks there in April and drove like 1,600 miles all over the place and had a blast.  Have fun and g'luck

We will be staying somewhat outside of Worcester, so that opens up London and Birmingham as relatively close options. That seems to put Cotswold nearby, so that is a good one!

Did you jump the Chunnel?  Have to admit being nearby makes me want to just want to go for it.

Regarding Scotland, so much there I suggest a separate trip.  Was based in Edinburgh 5 full days and it flew by.

Users who are viewing this thread