What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Maintenance Help Thread (1 Viewer)

FreeBaGeL

Footballguy
Couldn't find a thread like this that already exists, so here's a thread where the manliest of manly FBGs can show off their manliness by helping people with home maintenance problems they can't figure out.

I'll start.

Been woken up the last two mornings to what I think is a smoke detector on the top of our 30 foot vaulted ceilings going off.  Sounds like a pretty standard smoke detector chirp.  It goes off every few seconds for a little while (30 mins maybe?) and then stops for the day.

So today I climbed up there assuming it just needed a new battery and lo and behold...there is no battery.  I guess it's wired in with no battery backup.  So wtf is the beeping?  I can't find any information on the unit as to what model it is or even if it is actually a smoke detector (CO2 detector?).

Here are pics of the unit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4716025/2016-11-12 22.42.13.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4716025/2016-11-12 22.42.48.jpg

So what the hell is this thing and why is it ruining my life?

My thing at the moment is the power seems to be fluctuating in my house, resulting in flickering lights, occasional pre-mature bulb popping, and breaker trips. Lights are flickering all over the house, not just one area. And they definitely do more frequently when appliances are running. Anybody have experience with that?

Like any mechanism, as it gets older, it is likely to malfunction.  Since u can get up there, it really makes sense to change it out.  Depending upon code requirements, your detectors may be connected to one another.  If they are, the job my become more complicated.  The device must be able to "talk" to the others in the series or it will cause all of them to trigger. 

Also, it looks like a heat sensor to me, not a smoke detector.

Try using compressed air to blow out the vents.  Wife found this online before and it seemed to work.

oddly enough, ours did this same thing this morning around 645 (couldn't be on a weekday of course).  I switched the battery and it would stop, then I blew it out with the air.  I also took the battery out a couple times and reinserted since I wasn't sure which way it should go.  One of those things got it to stop.

Try using compressed air to blow out the vents.  Wife found this online before and it seemed to work.

oddly enough, ours did this same thing this morning around 645 (couldn't be on a weekday of course).  I switched the battery and it would stop, then I blew it out with the air.  I also took the battery out a couple times and reinserted since I wasn't sure which way it should go.  One of those things got it to stop.
The question now is whether or not it will actually function as intended.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  It looks like the manufacture date on the circuitboard is Oct 2000.  Is that old enough that I should just replace it?

Also, it looks like a heat sensor to me, not a smoke detector.
I didn't even know those existed?  They serve essentially the same function I assume, just with a different method of detecting it?  If I replace it should I replace it with a smoke detector or another heat sensor?

Couldn't find a thread like this that already exists, so here's a thread where the manliest of manly FBGs can show off their manliness by helping people with home maintenance problems they can't figure out.

I'll start.

Been woken up the last two mornings to what I think is a smoke detector on the top of our 30 foot vaulted ceilings going off.  Sounds like a pretty standard smoke detector chirp.  It goes off every few seconds for a little while (30 mins maybe?) and then stops for the day.

So today I climbed up there assuming it just needed a new battery and lo and behold...there is no battery.  I guess it's wired in with no battery backup.  So wtf is the beeping?  I can't find any information on the unit as to what model it is or even if it is actually a smoke detector (CO2 detector?).

Here are pics of the unit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4716025/2016-11-12 22.42.13.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4716025/2016-11-12 22.42.48.jpg

So what the hell is this thing and why is it ruining my life?
Looks like it might be a combo smoke and heat detector. They do go all the time. If you take it off it will probably tell you what it is on the bottom-or the part against the ceiling. Snap a pic of where the wires went to help you with the new one.  Like others said make sure it's compatible with others in your house. CO detectors actually have a 7 yr lifespan from first start up. They chirp like a dead battery and keep chirping every few minutes regardless of how many new batteries you try.

Users who are viewing this thread