What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Having kids after 40? (1 Viewer)

tuffnutt

Footballguy
Curious if any of you guys have any experience with this.  My wife and I have a 7 year old (I have a 16 and 13 year old from 1st marriage) I am 42 and my wife is 33. I thought we were done with kids, but the wife has been hinting she would love another and my 7 year old wants desperately to be a big sister. Should I entertain this given my age or let her know that ship sailed? If it matters we are ok financially and are both in good heath. Thanks

First off, who cares what the seven year old wants....now that that's out of the way, you have to remember, your wife is not 42. I suppose having a kid keeps you young. 

and FWIW tuffnutt, from what Ive seen, most people around here view kids as a burden. I however, do not. 

and FWIW tuffnutt, from what Ive seen, most people around here view kids as a burden. I however, do not. 
Oh, my kids are not a burden now (teens). But they sure as hell are a drain on everything when they are small.

So not going through that again

I was 39 when we had our 1st, and 47 with our 2nd (adopted - she was 1).  They are 19 & 12 now.  

My oldest is killin' me ...the younger one, not so much.  

As you are well aware already having been through it three times already, it completely disrupts you life and your lifestyle.  That is not to say it is good or bad.  It is just a major disruption to your current life.  I wouldn't want to do that again as my kids are now 16 and 11 (I am 43).  I see other's with small kids and I am so glad I don't have to go through that hard work again.

As you are well aware already having been through it three times already, it completely disrupts you life and your lifestyle.  That is not to say it is good or bad.  It is just a major disruption to your current life.  I wouldn't want to do that again as my kids are now 16 and 11 (I am 43).  I see other's with small kids and I am so glad I don't have to go through that hard work again.
This is where I am at. Things are good right now. Kids are pretty self suficient. But I know my wife is younger and still has that maternal yearning 

This is where I am at. Things are good right now. Kids are pretty self suficient. But I know my wife is younger and still has that maternal yearning 
Start hiding balls (snip, snip)

Last edited by a moderator:
That feeling is there seeing other people kids because it doesn't seem that hard.  Having to live with that 24-7 is really difficult especially if you haven't been in it for quite some time.  Plus like you said earlier, it postpones the post-kid life for another 18 (or more) years.  It's not just the initial up front difficulty.  It postpones the back end plans for a long duration as well. 

Tell her to wait for the grand kids.  She will get the maternal fix then without all the consequences...hahahaha

You know who else thought it wasn't such a big deal to have a kid after 40?  This stupid son of a beach.  Guess what happened?  

TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hot:

Run, dude.....run as far and as fast away as you can.  Now.  Don't look back, just run and keep running until you can't run no more.

You know who else thought it wasn't such a big deal to have a kid after 40?  This stupid son of a beach.  Guess what happened?  

Run, dude.....run as far and as fast away as you can.  Now.  Don't look back, just run and keep running until you can't run no more.
Right there with you brother 

identical girls 

then, "let's try for a boy"

bam, another girl. 

#softballteam

Buy the 7yo one of those dolls that pisses, and set 2-3 alarms to wake her up in the middle of the night.  After a few weeks see if she still wants to be a big sister.

I'm 44 with a 12 and 10 year old.  Love my kids dearly and glad I had them but I'm already plotting my parental exit strategy.  I can't imagine hitting the reset button at my age.

One at 40, the other four months ago at 45. Im tired and its taking a toll on my marriage.
That's what most married couples say, regardless of age.

To me, the major issue would be your long-term health, which is impossible to predict, and long-term finances.

Totally in this same boat.  Otis is 40, we just had our third.  Mrs. O still has some time, she's 32.  We're contemplating going for #4, at which point I'll probably be around 42-43.  Maybe crazy, but :shrug:

:popcorn:  for the responses and your ultimate decision.

That's what most married couples say, regardless of age.

To me, the major issue would be your long-term health, which is impossible to predict, and long-term finances.
True. Its just very different. I had a child at 25 and two over 40. More patience, more money over 40. More energy under. I find myself just wanting to do my own thing over 40 more than i did when i was younger.

Curious if any of you guys have any experience with this.  My wife and I have a 7 year old (I have a 16 and 13 year old from 1st marriage) I am 42 and my wife is 33. I thought we were done with kids, but the wife has been hinting she would love another and my 7 year old wants desperately to be a big sister. Should I entertain this given my age or let her know that ship sailed? If it matters we are ok financially and are both in good heath. Thanks
your wife is still young enough where it's not a problem physically for her or the baby. 

4 kids is a lot of kids on you though... :shrug:

fwiw- we had our two when I was 39 and 43... wife was 37 and 41. 

I had twins at age 35...damn near killed me.  They are two now so things are better, but holy hell....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 44 with a 12 and 10 year old.  Love my kids dearly and glad I had them but I'm already plotting my parental exit strategy.  I can't imagine hitting the reset button at my age.
:hifive: ...44 yr old with 13,10 (boys) & an 8 yr old (girl/"matriarch")...but would like to have another.  I truly believe my brood of three have expanded my life expectancy.  I don't understand my propensity/desire for more children, considering I come from an Italian/Irish Catholic family... :shrug:

Had my last daughter when I was 43.  She's 14 now.  This weekend I learned that Mrs. DW is late. Probably nothing.  She was never a precision clock and now, well as she winds down she is less so.  Still, she did think it was worth mentioning.

Just this morning my wife asked what i wanted for Xmas. I said a roll in the hay and then for her to take the kids somewhere for the weekend.

I was 40 when my son was born, 46 for my daughter (they're now 11 and 5). There are obvious pros and cons with going younger or older, but who plans life out that way?  There is some truth to the cliche that they keep you young, as I am constantly working to keep up with my son athletically and worried about staying in shape to fend off the boys when my daughter gets older.  Probably the hardest thing is keeping up with the younger parents in their friends' group. We are very social, but have become known as the couple who will commonly slip out of the party a bit early before things get really crazy. The one think that's helped me is, having been raised in the 70's, I don't feel a need to be present at everything my kids do. I'm fine with him hitching a ride with a friend to most of his soccer/basketball/volleyball games and other events and just having him tell me about it later when he gets home. I probably make it to about half his games. I enjoy them, but I think its important for parents to focus on their own lives, own hobbies and own happiness in order to be a good parent/husband. I don't hound him about his homework or hold his hand much as he navigates his way through life. That makes it easier on both of us imo, and we're doing pretty well. The girl might be different, we'll see ...

NFW.  We'll be 49 when my 2nd (and last) goes off to college.  We're still young enough to enjoy the total freedom and spontaneity that we'll be afforded.  Plus we'll be able to retire earlier. 

I'm 50 with a 13 and 11 year old. Both girls. Got snipped 6 months after the second one was born. People (especially asian women :ph34r: ) used to ask me if we were going to try for a boy. Hell no!!! I'm just happy to have two healthy kids and had no desire to add a third so late in the game.

I used to think the same thing until we had Riley. Our son was an only child for 7 years and things became easy. I was very nervous about starting all over again but Ill tell you it was the best decision ever. The good FAR outweighs the bad. I would give anything to have those sleepless nights right now.

I was 43 when my son was born.  I'll be 45 when his sibling arrives in May.  I sometimes wonder if it would have easier if I were younger.  It is exhausting and I am in pretty terrible shape right now.  But I've been in pretty terrible shape for most of my adult life with the exceptions being times when I had tons of time to devote to diet and exercise.  I doubt that would have been any different in my 20s. 

My wife's dad was older (he was on his second marriage and already had adult kids).  I know how much she loved him, and I'm looking forward to being similarly endearingly out of the loop as the elderly parent of teenagers. 

I used to think the same thing until we had Riley. Our son was an only child for 7 years and things became easy. I was very nervous about starting all over again but Ill tell you it was the best decision ever. The good FAR outweighs the bad. I would give anything to have those sleepless nights right now.
I am not saying that it is bad.  I am just saying based on my current lifestyle I wouldn't want to change it to have another kid.  It is not easy, but if it's something you want to do it is accepted and you do it.    For me I would rather not have to start over with a baby at this point in my life.  I am glad it worked out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread