Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Brand Spanking new ***OFFICIAL*** Ohio State Buckeyes thread!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congratulations guys.

O-H-I-O      

@wadegarrett knew what he was doing when he deleted the old thread

5 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

My point isn't difficult. I don't think OSU deserves to get in, nor do I feel like there are four teams that do. 

There are going to be four teams in the playoff, and at least one won't deserve to be there, if not more. 

I understand what you are saying. And you are right, your point isn't hard to discern. My point is that it simply doesn't make sense given the current system. The playoff is designed such that the top four teams in CFB make it. There can be a HUGE differential in the skill level between number 1 and the rest. And the difference between four and five can be minuscule. It doesn't change the fact that the four best teams get to be in the playoffs, as it is designed. But I get what you are trying to say, so we can leave it at that.

p.s. I don't like the phrase "doesn't make sense," but I just can't find the right words.

Edited by DallasDMac
  • Like 1

Just now, DallasDMac said:

I understand what you are saying. And you are right, your point isn't hard to discern. My point is that it simply doesn't make sense given the current system. The playoff is designed such that the top four teams in CFB make it. There can be a HUGE differential in the skill level between number 1 and the rest. And the difference between four and five can be minuscule. It doesn't change the fact that the four best teams get to be in the playoffs, as it is designed. But I get what you are trying to say, so we can leave it at that.

I don't think you and I disagree. What I don't understand is how Beef Ravioli can say if OSU got in it "would feel like it’s undeserving" yet also say:

16 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

The way it’s currently set up there has to be four deserving teams.

I agree with him that if OSU got in, they didn't deserve it. But again, like my first response to him said: "There aren't four deserving teams this year." Nothing that has been said since that post has made me think otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Politician Spock said:

I don't think you and I disagree. What I don't understand is how Beef Ravioli can say if OSU got in it "would feel like it’s undeserving" yet also say:

I agree with him that if OSU got in, they didn't deserve it. But again, like my first response to him said: "There aren't four deserving teams this year." Nothing that has been said since that post has made me think otherwise. 

At this point, I don’t even know who means what. If I were on the committee, I think there would be more deserving teams than us. Although we had some bright moments this season, we have two losses, one being to a very weak opponent who dominated us. I think that takes us out.

IF the committee puts us in, so be it but I don’t agree with it. At the same time, because I am a diehard fan, I will be rooting for them to win it all and if they did win it all it would be a great championship that I would celebrate.

All that to say, Go Bucks! 

Peace Spock! 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

At this point, I don’t even know who means what. If I were on the committee, I think there would be more deserving teams than us. Although we had some bright moments this season, we have two losses, one being to a very weak opponent who dominated us. I think that takes us out.

IF the committee puts us in, so be it but I don’t agree with it. At the same time, because I am a diehard fan, I will be rooting for them to win it all and if they did win it all it would be a great championship that I would celebrate.

All that to say, Go Bucks! 

Peace Spock! 

:hifive:

Outside of the two long throws (one of which was all Campbell), JT has played like ####. I see no reason why Haskins wouldn’t have been a better option. I bet he would be far better than 1 for 8 on throws of greater than 15yds. The WR’s have been wide open.

Edited by Bojang0301
10 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Intercepting that ball instead of batting it down if you're not going to return it is stupid.

Nah, you see an interception, you take it. At least he went down and didn't fumble on a return. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Kinda glad Barrett is graduating. He's just completely over-rated. He's been killing OSU with bad passes and turnovers.

He's never been a good downfield passer, and can't throw into any coverage, even 5 yards in front of him.... but because he can hurt you with the run, the D has a harder time containing the receivers. That's why the receivers can run for 80 yards after catching a 2 yard pass from him.... and that's where all the passing yards and passing TDs he throws come from. 

Jones and Haskins on the other hand can throw downfield and into coverage. 

2018 will be the first year since 2010 that we didn't have Miller or Barrett running around at QB. Neither one of them were decent passers. I'm looking forward to seeing Haskins drop back and rip it. 

• Like 2

just two hours and we can possibly witness the mythical win-win-win.  OSU in.   Alabama gets snubbed.   DD goes into meltdown that they get in.   

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mad Cow said:

just two hours and we can possibly witness the mythical win-win-win.  OSU in.   Alabama gets snubbed.   DD goes into meltdown that they get in.   

Not sure it will happen but I want it to for the epic meltdowns around here and because Nick Saban can eat #### for what he says to the media to try and keep OSU out. #### you Nick, don’t play football subdivisions week 11.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mad Cow said:

I have a suspicion Bama is going to get in. They’ll hang their hat on the Iowa loss and that they simply just think Bama is better even though their overall resume is very questionable. Saban will get in as a non-conf champ (hilarious, right?) and they run back the title game from last year.

I think we can beat Georgia, but Oklahoma and Clemson are on another level...unless we somehow have 4th quarter JT from PSU...or JT gets shut down and we go heavy on running and the vertical game.

I feel justice has been served.

Lessons learned:

1. Don’t  get smoked by a stinky team. The loss to Iowa is the biggest reason we are out. I know Clemson lost to Cuse who is 4-8 but they also were without their qb for over half the game and they lost by 3 points, not 31.

2. Don’t beat a weak opponent by looking stinky. We have not looked great in any game accept the last half of Penn State. It’s questionable if we beat Michigan without the qb change and we looked terrible last night. Should of put 40-50 on Wisky last night! We failed the eye test!

3. For all the good Barrett has been at OSU he has not progressed and it seems he has digressed in passing. He has certainly won us several games by willing us there but it is beyond time for him to move on! Looking forward to the Haskins/Burrows battle! 

To be quite honest, I'm not upset at all that our Buckeyes are not in and it was the Iowa game that changed my mind.  When our guys lost to Oklahoma, I thought "well, it's early in the year, they haven't had time to gel with the new OC Kevin Wilson, etc."  That terrible Iowa loss was the kicker for me, it reminded me so much of the awful losses the team has had over the past couple of years.  Last night's game didn't help either.  You're not going to turn over the ball that much, miss wide open receivers that often to the likes of Clemson, Georgia, OK, etc. and expect to win the game.  I'm not saying you have to be perfect but tOSU really needed to win by 21+ over Wiscy to make a statement and I believe they could have probably made a good argument (like they did in 2014) had they not turned the ball over so much and let Wiscy keep that game so close.

So to summarize my thoughts on not getting the playoffs :

1.) Our Buckeyes had OK at home and they blew that opportunity but I don't think this loss kept them out.

2.) Iowa loss - however I do think this loss was too big to overcome.

3.) Wiscy - needed to have a statement win last night.

4.) I know it was last year but it still stings and I'll say it - that Clemson loss last year hurt our chances for this year.  I feel the committee gave us the benefit of the doubt and our guys blew that opportunity to prove they belonged in the picture last year.  I'm sure the committee had this loss on their minds this year when they made their decision.

5.) For all the grumbling, Bama did only have one loss and they were able to finish off their cupcakes while we puked our cupcake (Iowa) into the punchbowl.

6.) I forgot the most important point - Mark May is still the biggest POS troll on the planet - suck it Mary May.

Ah well - GO BUCKS!!!

Edited by Sullie
  • Like 1

I still think consistency hurt us more than Iowa. The committee said there was a big gap between Alabama and everyone below them. Their end goal is simple, line up the best 4 teams. This was an eye test decision this year more than anything else. I’ll sleep ok tonight, they’re probably right. But, another precedent has been set. And now that the conference is stronger than it used to be, it’s time to rethink OOC scheduling. 

1 hour ago, Johnnymac said:

I thought Ohio State deserved to be in over Alabama.  Im somewhat surprised they chose Bama.

I'm not surprised.... I thought it was a 50/50 chance they would ignore their own selection criteria and take Bama.

What's sad is that Bama was originally scheduled to play at Michigan State this year, but they cancelled. From: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-cancels-series-with-michigan-state/

The home-and-home series between Alabama and Michigan State is no more. Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis confirmed the news to the Detroit Free-Press on Thursday afternoon.

"Alabama requested to cancel the series due to uncertainty with the SEC schedule," Hollis told the paper via text. "While disappointed, in the spirit of collegiality, we agreed to the request."

The uncertainty with Alabama's SEC schedule is likely related to wondering whether the SEC will have moved to a nine-game conference schedule by then, leaving only three non-conference dates available. The truth is, when it comes to Alabama, the Tide don't really need to worry about strength of schedule in the playoff era when it comes to the selection committee. It's Alabama.

That was published Sept 26, 2013, and it proved to be true. 

16 hours ago, Mad Cow said:

I'm really going to cheer for Clempson hard.  Want to see the Tide get rolled hard.

I'll likely root for a tie.  Then let's see how the CFP Committee work that one out.

#Boom!  Top 30 overall DB Tyreke Johnson commits to the Silver Bullets today. 

Overall class looking like we will get some decommits, namely Emory Jones and DE Brenton Cox.   Those are two big losses but we are so freaking deep at those positions right now I think both just want playing time. 

On 12/3/2017 at 9:53 AM, Mad Cow said:

Update?