What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brand Spanking new ***OFFICIAL*** Ohio State Buckeyes thread! (2 Viewers)

Surprised at the Mattison hire as he will be 70 soon. Rumors were that he was not going to be offered a new contract at Michigan. Thought OSU would go after some young gun recruiting machine DC.
Also brought in 49ers secondary coach Jeff Hafley as co-DC.  Lots of exciting changes.  Still holding out hope for Marcus Freeman somewhere. 

Rumors of Raymond (LSU CBs coach) being extended an offer as well.  If he doesn't, there is said to be other offers in waiting (assuming Freeman or Busch?)

And KJ Hill is staying for his senior year.  Gotta say I love that.  A great leader at WR for the younger studs coming on.

Da Guru said:
Surprised at the Mattison hire as he will be 70 soon. Rumors were that he was not going to be offered a new contract at Michigan. Thought OSU would go after some young gun recruiting machine DC.
Supposedly Mattison was offered a raise and 2yr extension to stay.

Supposedly Mattison was offered a raise and 2yr extension to stay.
As was Washington (raise and the DL job once Mattison left).  Rumors flying around AA that following their bowl game, Harbaugh and some of his Defensive Coaches had a falling out over some of their players sitting out the game.  This created a rift in the coaches, explaining why some are now leaving.  Rumors of Don Brown going to Temple won't go away either.

With all of the coaching movement and rumors, I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything from Harbaugh yet. I thought he would be out there saving face, calming down the alumni/fans, and working to maintain recruits.  It's been pretty quiet on that front.

I like that Day has jumped in with both feet and started to stamp his name on this program.  He's churning the under-achieving defensive staff and bringing in some young and innovative minds, along with a tried and true DC in Mattison to help them learn and grow.  Really interested in how the defense rebounds next year.

Tate has entered the transfer portal, which is weird.  It has been pointed out that he gains nothing doing it now vs after Spring ball when you KNOW stuff.  He should stay, see what happens with Fields and fight for the spot, or even take it if Fields is not eligible.  Too bad, I liked what I saw from him generally.

Tate has entered the transfer portal, which is weird.  It has been pointed out that he gains nothing doing it now vs after Spring ball when you KNOW stuff.  He should stay, see what happens with Fields and fight for the spot, or even take it if Fields is not eligible.  Too bad, I liked what I saw from him generally.
If he transfers to USC...wow the internet will break! 

But does it hurt him at all to put his name in?  I mean, yes, from an OSU fanbase perception, but he doesn't have to leave.  He may just want to talk to some schools.

But does it hurt him at all to put his name in?  I mean, yes, from an OSU fanbase perception, but he doesn't have to leave.  He may just want to talk to some schools.
I have to think from a player perspective, once you do that, you lose the respect and support of the team somewhat too, no?  He talked a lot of crap at first and said no way is he transferring, and less than 2 weeks later, he is wanting out.  Just a bad look, wouldn't you say?  Honestly, I am all in favor for him to get what he needs to, but just a weird turn of events I suppose.

I have to think from a player perspective, once you do that, you lose the respect and support of the team somewhat too, no?  He talked a lot of crap at first and said no way is he transferring, and less than 2 weeks later, he is wanting out.  Just a bad look, wouldn't you say?  Honestly, I am all in favor for him to get what he needs to, but just a weird turn of events I suppose.
Yeah, it is definitely not a good look...but he may have new information now.  I was at the OSU/MSU bball game and Urban, Haskins and Fields were all sitting together right by us.  I think Tate may have been told that Fields is the front-runner (or requested assurances of starting and was denied) and now he is looking at other options.

As was Washington (raise and the DL job once Mattison left).  Rumors flying around AA that following their bowl game, Harbaugh and some of his Defensive Coaches had a falling out over some of their players sitting out the game.  This created a rift in the coaches, explaining why some are now leaving.  Rumors of Don Brown going to Temple won't go away either.

With all of the coaching movement and rumors, I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything from Harbaugh yet. I thought he would be out there saving face, calming down the alumni/fans, and working to maintain recruits.  It's been pretty quiet on that front.

I like that Day has jumped in with both feet and started to stamp his name on this program.  He's churning the under-achieving defensive staff and bringing in some young and innovative minds, along with a tried and true DC in Mattison to help them learn and grow.  Really interested in how the defense rebounds next year.
Just to be clear, we're talking about the same Michigan coaches whose defense we hung 60 on back in November?  And that Florida ##### slapped with another 40+ in the Peach Bowl...  :mellow:

He would get to play spring ball and get time with whatever team he goes to. That's not nothing.

So apparently Tathan went through his social media profiles and stripped everything about Ohio State and Columbus out.  Sounds like a mature young man.

I get being angry and frustrated, but I guess these are all kids.  Wish him well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fields will play..he has the same lawyer Patterson had.   Why did Fields leave Georgia though?
Same reason all these kids have been lately, I guess.  They just want to play now and cannot stand the thought of waiting.  I imagine it would be very old man of me to say back in my day, we wanted something and we worked and waited for our chance.

Same reason all these kids have been lately, I guess.  They just want to play now and cannot stand the thought of waiting.  I imagine it would be very old man of me to say back in my day, we wanted something and we worked and waited for our chance.
He also spent most of the season watching Lawrence play for the Tigers.  What he was sold during his recruitment probably didn't come to fruition either.  Things changed, they always do.  He couldn't beat out a strong incumbent.  Places like OSU give him a much greater chance to start this Fall with the same/similar upside (college playoffs and NFL).  There is no way any top recruit that has NFL aspirations wants to wait around multiple years before being a starter when it probably wasn't a 4-5 year plan from the start.  

Well, yeah.  But the waiver claim is related to the racial slurs flung at him by a GA baseball player.  It is an "unsafe" environment.

Galileo said:
Just to be clear, we're talking about the same Michigan coaches whose defense we hung 60 on back in November?  And that Florida ##### slapped with another 40+ in the Peach Bowl...  :mellow:
And just to be clear, the defensive schemes in those games were from Don Brown, while these two coached the DL and LB, respectively.  I'm pretty sure it was the secondary that OSU lit up.

Mattison was also the DC when Urban won the National Title with FL.

OL Doug Nester has cancelled his Georgia trip and is coming back to OSU next weekend.  His commitment has been rough after the retirement, but looking very positive now.  That would be huge for this class.

A new name and a player that has seen his recruitment skyrocket is a Dawand Jones from Indiana.  He is coming to visit as well and is showing an 89% crystal ball to Ohio State.  That would go a long way towards helping the O Line this cycle.  Gotta get a DB or 2 now.  I have to think getting a QB would be nice, but cannot imagine it is an easy sell to get a kid to sign given Fields and Baldwin here now and Jack Miller signed for next cycle.  There just is not time to make a name for a lesser QB to have a chance to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to think getting a QB would be nice, but cannot imagine it is an easy sell to get a kid to sign given Fields and Baldwin here now and Jack Miller signed for next cycle.  There just is not time to make a name for a lesser QB to have a chance to play.
Just read a rumor that Hurts may be interested in playing for OSU, and that the interest is mutual.  If Fields doesn't get immediate eligibility, and Tate is gone, how crazy would it be to trot Hurts out there for a year?   :lmao:

On a related side-note, this Transfer Portal thing is starting to heat up like NFL FA.  Crazy how it's being reported on constantly now.

Just read a rumor that Hurts may be interested in playing for OSU, and that the interest is mutual.  If Fields doesn't get immediate eligibility, and Tate is gone, how crazy would it be to trot Hurts out there for a year?   :lmao:

On a related side-note, this Transfer Portal thing is starting to heat up like NFL FA.  Crazy how it's being reported on constantly now.
As Ryan Day gets to get more and more of a rep as a QB whisperer, you will see more and more want to come to play for him.

Word is that the weekend visits for Nester and Jones visits went really well this weekend.  Both expected to sign in 2 weeks.  That really helps the O-Line which was an issue with depth.

Behind a bit on the #Booms.  Got another 2020 kid in OL Jakob James, who should be the start of a flurry of Cincinnati kids. 

This weekend we got our first 2021 commit, and it is a big one.  #3 overall in the class from Pickerington North, DE Jack Sawyer.

Wednesday should be very interesting to see what Ryan Day can come up with to fill the class.

As expected, Nester commits with VT instead.  Old news.

However, we did just land OL Enokk Vimahi.  This kid should be fantastic.  The upside from him will be in 3 years.  He will get his RS in, then serve a 2 year mission, and be back for 4.  Excited this kid signed.  He was a late addition to the boards, but has huge upside.

HUGE get for the Bucks this weekend, adding the best O-lineman in the transfer market in Jonah Jackson.  He will be an instant starter and figures to have a very good NFL career.

#7 commit for the Bucks in 2020 - OT Trey Leroux from northern Ohio.  Huge kid with a lot of upside.  Ryan Day clearly emphasizing Ohio kids on the team.

A new name and a player that has seen his recruitment skyrocket is a Dawand Jones from Indiana.  He is coming to visit as well and is showing an 89% crystal ball to Ohio State.  That would go a long way towards helping the O Line this cycle.  Gotta get a DB or 2 now.  I have to think getting a QB would be nice, but cannot imagine it is an easy sell to get a kid to sign given Fields and Baldwin here now and Jack Miller signed for next cycle.  There just is not time to make a name for a lesser QB to have a chance to play.
Dawand played for the local HS in my area....Ben Davis HS, also where the Michigan RB Chris Evans came from a couple of years ago. Dewand plays basketball also (actually his first love and he preferred it over football). The basketball team is playing for the Indiana Class 4A state championship this Saturday....at 6'-8" 350 he causes a lot of unique challenges for the other teams on the court.  

Looks like I'll be heading to my first tOSU game this fall. We're looking at going to Bucks/PSU on 11/23, then driving up to Cleveland for Browns/Fins on the 24th.

What's the best way to get a decent price on tickets? Any opportunity for decent seats from scalpers on game day?

Looks like I'll be heading to my first tOSU game this fall. We're looking at going to Bucks/PSU on 11/23, then driving up to Cleveland for Browns/Fins on the 24th.

What's the best way to get a decent price on tickets? Any opportunity for decent seats from scalpers on game day?
Since this will be your first OSU game, it seems like this is a pretty special occasion that won't likely happen too many more times down the road...Shoot the lock off the wallet and don't worry about the money.  Just enjoy the experience.   I would advise you to avoid B deck tickets...Yes, a cover sounds nice for inclement weather, but you end up with a lot of obstructed view seats either behind pillars or the cover cutting off your view of the scoreboard and other areas of the stadium...really distracts from the experience IMO. 

Since this will be your first OSU game, it seems like this is a pretty special occasion that won't likely happen too many more times down the road...Shoot the lock off the wallet and don't worry about the money.  Just enjoy the experience.   I would advise you to avoid B deck tickets...Yes, a cover sounds nice for inclement weather, but you end up with a lot of obstructed view seats either behind pillars or the cover cutting off your view of the scoreboard and other areas of the stadium...really distracts from the experience IMO. 
My buddy who is going to the game with me said the same thing. His first game was tOSU/TTUN last year. A client took him, so he was in AA section for free. Madness.

Been a while since I have posted any updates.  There has been a ton of things at QB with Baldwin leaving, but Day navigated it pretty well overall with getting Gunnar Hoak back to Columbus and the last 3 star QB to commit in Andraste.  I have mixed feelings on Baldwin.  Yeah, the kids can play where they want and the portal helps them, but this kid soaked the university for a whole lot of money with his rehab, and then bolts without doing a thing for the team in playing. 

Huge announcement today and supposed BOOM for hte good guys with #1 WR Julian Fleming expected to commit at some point today and all of the big guys in recruiting have put a crystal ball pick for OSU recently.

Thought for sure he would end up at Clemson.
Brian Hartline is an animal recruiting.  There is another kid that wanted to come (Rosemay) and is a top 10 WR, but doubt it now with the 3 they have.  Gee Scott is a beast and deserves to be top 5 WR.  He might get bumped there in the coming months.

K Jake Seibert from Cincy is the #1 kicker in the nation for the 2020 class, giving him a 5 star rating as a kicker.  He commits to the good guys today.  Excellent!

Lots of fun and games since my last post.  Flipped OT G Tourant from PSU (the first of a few commits they lost, LOL), then got Clark Phillips, #4 CB for 2020, to commit on Friday along with WR Jayden Ballard for 2021.  That kid looks great.  Cavazos is promising more booms to follow soon for this class.  They are confident this will be an even more amazing class than it already is.  Things are looking great for Day.  Next year's WRs are unreal already and looking for more.

@Mad Cow I was reading on another board (Eleven Warriors) about some Penn State reports that Franklin was telling recruits that OSU would be facing violations for recruiting and such. You heard anything or if true that Franklin was saying such things it’s just negative recruiting? 

@Mad Cow I was reading on another board (Eleven Warriors) about some Penn State reports that Franklin was telling recruits that OSU would be facing violations for recruiting and such. You heard anything or if true that Franklin was saying such things it’s just negative recruiting? 
I think he is just trying to save himself at this point.  He is a known negative recruiter.  I think it is wearing on his team too.  They are losing not just recruits, but lost a ton to the transfer portal.

They keep blowing up with recruiting.  Got the long awaited commit from Darrion Henry Saturday, as well as LB Cody Simon.  Henry locks up Parris Johnson, which is also huge.  Then they get TE Royer and today LB Mitchell Melton. 

Read a report how at The Opening that the 2020 commits are all recruiting like crazy.  CB Elias RIcks was quoted saying that it was just the Buckeye commits going hard, with a little bit from some other schools.  Should get some more good news in the very near future with this class.

Two more big booms today.   Athlete Cameron Martinez and OL Josh Fryar.  Both look superb and are great additions to the class.  There is a feeling that 5* RB Bijan Robinson will commit soon as well.  Looks like flipping 5* CB Elias Ricks from LSU is a real possibility as well.

#Boom!  We continue the tradition of taking the top players in Missouri.  WR Mookie Cooper commits today.  This is far and away the best WR haul in the 2020 class.  Man, I really hope we can keep Hartline locked up for a long long time.

Bumping this- if anyone has a line on tickets, let me know.

Crazy weeks since last update.  Roller coaster with the RB's, interesting to see how that turns out.  The rest of the class is amazing.

Got my tickets to the PSU game.  Upper deck but low and about the 40 yd line, Scioto side of the stadium.  Psyched!

So after last week's game, wow, I am impressed.  This team seems so much more disciplined and just on fire than previous years.  The defense is so much better.  I am really excited to see what this team can do, but CFP and even a title are well within reach especially with the improvement they will see over time.

Heard a suggestion that they play the predator sound whenever Chase Young makes a sack, they need to make that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread