What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brand Spanking new ***OFFICIAL*** Ohio State Buckeyes thread! (2 Viewers)

:lmao: Harbaugh plays the crybaby card again and no-shows his own call-in show after they run promos to listen and call in to talk to him.  :cry:

:lmao: Harbaugh plays the crybaby card again and no-shows his own call-in show after they run promos to listen and call in to talk to him.  :cry:
He's got work to do, bro.

Pinned Tweet

Mike Sullivan‏Verified account @MikeSullivan  Oct 8

Through 31 games at Michigan:

Harbaugh: 24-7 record, 1-1 bowl record, 1-4 vs rivals.

Hoke: 24-7 record, 1-1 bowl record, 2-2 vs rivals.

:lmao: I love how Clemson, the team that invented Clemsoning, all of a sudden thought they were all that,  now brought back to earth.   

I am glad we are playing well the last 4 games or so but we haven't played a team with a real pulse since Oklahoma. I thought Maryland might be a good test until I learned they were on their third string QB. Nebraska has quit on their coach as there are rumors everywhere about his eventual firing. Let's see how they handle PSU and then I might start believing we've got something going.

the wind is ridiculous as well.  That kind of accuracy in that weather is fantastic. 

I am glad we are playing well the last 4 games or so but we haven't played a team with a real pulse since Oklahoma. I thought Maryland might be a good test until I learned they were on their third string QB. Nebraska has quit on their coach as there are rumors everywhere about his eventual firing. Let's see how they handle PSU and then I might start believing we've got something going.
It's so hard to get a decent reading on this year's team. They've showed brilliance, but they've also crapped the bed. They could end up number 1,  they could also end up number 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
 You guys are crazy.  JT looked sharp and confident.  Defense was crazy.   This team is going places.  They will take Penn State behind the woodshed.

I'd say the table is set to the playoffs with winning out.  Great time to be hitting on all cylinders,  too. Sheffield still gets too many penalties,  but overall these 5 straight ### kickings are pretty solid. 

I'd say the table is set to the playoffs with winning out.  Great time to be hitting on all cylinders,  too. Sheffield still gets too many penalties,  but overall these 5 straight ### kickings are pretty solid. 
Indiana, Army, UNLV, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska = 18-20. 

Indiana is always average at best, UNLV lost to Howard! Rutgers is in year two of a five year rebuild. We played a 3rd string QB in Maryland and then a team that has quit on their coach in Nebraska.

We may win out and get into the playoffs but let's not use the last 5 games as some sort an amazing streak. 

Indiana, Army, UNLV, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska = 18-20. 

Indiana is always average at best, UNLV lost to Howard! Rutgers is in year two of a five year rebuild. We played a 3rd string QB in Maryland and then a team that has quit on their coach in Nebraska.

We may win out and get into the playoffs but let's not use the last 5 games as some sort an amazing streak. 
Perhaps,  but to have a run 5 five straight like that.  That's not a fluke.  Look at what these other teams in the top 10 that lost to unranked teams.  It's never a given,  but this is and impressive run notwithstanding who they played. 

And don't look now,  but JT is leading QBs in passing TDs with only 1 INT.  And don't talk about competition because Lamar Jackson got most of his stats last year vs poor teams.  If he can have a Heisman moment vs PSU, he'll be a top contender. 

I'd say the table is set to the playoffs with winning out.  
This I agree with.  It's nearly undeniable.  

But I still say you are overrating the recent wins.  Time to show up in the big games.  But, it is nice to see them not have as stinker on the road against an inferior opponent.  To me, that is the best part about the win streak, albeit only two games against Rutgers and Nebraska.

Why does it seem like we have to play a night game whenever we go to State College, but they get afternoon games at the Shoe?  Maybe it's just recent memory bias.

This I agree with.  It's nearly undeniable.  

But I still say you are overrating the recent wins.  Time to show up in the big games.  But, it is nice to see them not have as stinker on the road against an inferior opponent.  To me, that is the best part about the win streak, albeit only two games against Rutgers and Nebraska.

Why does it seem like we have to play a night game whenever we go to State College, but they get afternoon games at the Shoe?  Maybe it's just recent memory bias.
Probably because it's true.   Did they announce it as an afternoon game?   I was hoping for a night game for complete revenge.   I still feel we win by 2 TDs at least.   :yes:

Prior to 2014 Ohio Stadium didn't have permanent lights installed, so night games were rare. I think 2013 was the first time they had two home night games in a single season.

Penn State has played at night in Ohio Stadium three times: 2008, 2013, and 2015. 

2017 will be the first time since the permanent lights have been installed in the Shoe that Penn State has NOT played at night. So to answer your question, I don't think it's a trend. It's actually a first since the permanent lights have been installed. 

Probably because it's true.   Did they announce it as an afternoon game?   I was hoping for a night game for complete revenge.   I still feel we win by 2 TDs at least.   :yes:
3:30 PM game.  Just right, IMO.  Late enough to shake off the night before and for plenty of pre-game festivities, but early enough where I am not yet ready to pass out from the long day.   

Big game this week!   Still think Ohio State owns with the week off.  

Oh, and :lol: at that Texas offense.  How those fans liking Beck now?  Dude destroys offenses at a prolific level.

Big game this week!   Still think Ohio State owns with the week off.  

Oh, and :lol: at that Texas offense.  How those fans liking Beck now?  Dude destroys offenses at a prolific level.
I'm not one to blame losses on a single person in a team sport, but Beck is the sole reason why OSU lost to MSU in 2015. I have never witnessed more horrific play calling in my life. It got so bad it got predictable, which made it even worse. 

I'm not one to blame losses on a single person in a team sport, but Beck is the sole reason why OSU lost to MSU in 2015. I have never witnessed more horrific play calling in my life. It got so bad it got predictable, which made it even worse. 
I was at that game with my oldest daughter.  Horrific weather.  Worse play calling.  Have fun with that,  Longhorns.   What makes it better is that the recruits we are battling over will see it and choose the Bucks.   Finally Beck does something to help us.

Sorry guys, apparently I speak for all of you when I say what I think the outcome will be of the game this week.  PSUGuys are all hot and bothered about what I post here in this thread.  I guess they would prefer I go over there and doosh their thread up?  Nah.

Sorry guys, apparently I speak for all of you when I say what I think the outcome will be of the game this week.  PSUGuys are all hot and bothered about what I post here in this thread.  I guess they would prefer I go over there and doosh their thread up?  Nah.
:lmao:

As the thread starter and ambassador for the "PSUGuys" thread, I just want to wish you good luck.  We're all counting on you.

So, I don't want to dwell on a point but I could not possibly agree more.  I recall Zeke having 12 carries the entire f-ing game, Barrett had more carries.  It was raining like crazy, high winds and Beck was calling plays like it was a clear sunny day.  I could not believe we had to put with that guy for another year after that game.  You NEVER heard Zeke say a bad word about anyone or anything up until that game.  I thought it was a clear case of bad offensive coaching that cost us that game.  And, lastly, I was in shock when Tom Herman hired Tim Beck.  I don't get it, I honestly still can't believe it.

Mad Cow said:
They really need a rival school.

They seem to want to make it us, but sorry we're spoken for already.

Trying to decide if I need one of those.

And the PSUGuys seem to think that Michigan's defense is better than ours.  I hope they enjoy that defensive line.

And the PSUGuys seem to think that Michigan's defense is better than ours.  I hope they enjoy that defensive line.
Not for nothing, but according to the NCAA, TTUN does have a higher Total Defensive Ranking to date than tOSU, 5th to 16th respectively.

What those rankings don't show is that tOSU has a better Red Zone Defense than TTUN (6th vs 65th), so scoring opportunities in the Red Zone may be limited.

The Rushing Defense is very similar in ranking, with tOSU allowing fewer Rushing TDs and Avg Yds/Rush.

tOSU also wins the Turnover Margin with TTUN (+7 vs -3)

Overall in Defensive Statistics, on paper the two teams may look similar, or even favorable to TTUN....until you look at where those numbers come from...

TTUN Schedule: Florida, Cincinnati, Air Force, Purdue, Michigan St, Indiana, Penn State

tOSU Schedule: Indiana, Oklahoma, Army, UNLV, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska

The lone Top 10 Game from tOSU's schedule plays a huge mark in their defensive statistics.  Switch that out with Florida and we'd have much favorable stats.  Now I'm not saying that we don't deserve the ranking we have right now.  We all know the defense wasn't clicking earlier this year, specifically the secondary.  But the DLine is clicking on all cylinders right now, along with the LB corp.  The DBs are starting to turn their heads around looking for balls and avoiding those costly penalties.  Things are moving in the right direction.  As much as I hate to quote Cowherd, "OSU just looks different than other college teams.  They are bigger, stronger, and faster than other teams.  The defensive line consists of all NFL caliber players.  They are that good."  That was from his radio show yesterday.  It stood out in my mind as he is typically very anti-OSU.  Yet he picked them to win it all this year.  

tOSU's offense took awhile to develop and find itself.  The defense took some time to gel.  That's what the early part of the season is for, to work out the kinks before the big games begin.  We're at the start of the "big game" schedule for tOSU.  How they play on Saturday will define this team.  I think they know that, and I think they will come out with a statement game.  I'm not saying it will be a blow out, as I think Penn State will keep it close (within 10pts).  But there will be hard hits, and those points scored will be earned - by both teams.  This game will define the defense and showcase just what the offense is capable of doing under Wilson.

It's a new look team, so throw out what you think you know about tOSU from the first 7 games.  That was pre-season in CFB.  The real season starts on Saturday.

O - H

Not for nothing, but according to the NCAA, TTUN does have a higher Total Defensive Ranking to date than tOSU, 5th to 16th respectively.

What those rankings don't show is that tOSU has a better Red Zone Defense than TTUN (6th vs 65th), so scoring opportunities in the Red Zone may be limited.

The Rushing Defense is very similar in ranking, with tOSU allowing fewer Rushing TDs and Avg Yds/Rush.

tOSU also wins the Turnover Margin with TTUN (+7 vs -3)

Overall in Defensive Statistics, on paper the two teams may look similar, or even favorable to TTUN....until you look at where those numbers come from...

TTUN Schedule: Florida, Cincinnati, Air Force, Purdue, Michigan St, Indiana, Penn State

tOSU Schedule: Indiana, Oklahoma, Army, UNLV, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska

The lone Top 10 Game from tOSU's schedule plays a huge mark in their defensive statistics.  Switch that out with Florida and we'd have much favorable stats.  Now I'm not saying that we don't deserve the ranking we have right now.  We all know the defense wasn't clicking earlier this year, specifically the secondary.  But the DLine is clicking on all cylinders right now, along with the LB corp.  The DBs are starting to turn their heads around looking for balls and avoiding those costly penalties.  Things are moving in the right direction.  As much as I hate to quote Cowherd, "OSU just looks different than other college teams.  They are bigger, stronger, and faster than other teams.  The defensive line consists of all NFL caliber players.  They are that good."  That was from his radio show yesterday.  It stood out in my mind as he is typically very anti-OSU.  Yet he picked them to win it all this year.  

tOSU's offense took awhile to develop and find itself.  The defense took some time to gel.  That's what the early part of the season is for, to work out the kinks before the big games begin.  We're at the start of the "big game" schedule for tOSU.  How they play on Saturday will define this team.  I think they know that, and I think they will come out with a statement game.  I'm not saying it will be a blow out, as I think Penn State will keep it close (within 10pts).  But there will be hard hits, and those points scored will be earned - by both teams.  This game will define the defense and showcase just what the offense is capable of doing under Wilson.

It's a new look team, so throw out what you think you know about tOSU from the first 7 games.  That was pre-season in CFB.  The real season starts on Saturday.

O - H
I-Freaking-O!

I didn't see much of the PSU/UM game, but what I did catch I thought the PSU defense was flying around and looked very athletic.  I'd enjoy a nice defensive slobber knocker Saturday afternoon.  Those are the best games imo.  As long as we win.   :D

I also believe the bye week prior to big games is huge.  Penn State had one right before it.  Last year, Wisconsin and PSU had bye weeks prior to playing us.  It is huge for rest and preparation.

I also believe the bye week prior to big games is huge.  Penn State had one right before it.  Last year, Wisconsin and PSU had bye weeks prior to playing us.  It is huge for rest and preparation.
I totally agree with this...it is a huge advantage.  I'm also glad this isnt a night game, ive had enough of those.

On an unrelated note to this quote, Im not a huge fan of the special uniforms.   We have enough reason to be hyped up for this game!

I will admit that I ordered one :bag: :excited:   I did not get the $150 one, though.  Just the $80.  Only difference seems to be in the number.  Screen printed in the cheaper, embroidered in the expensive.  It will go nicely with a scarlet long sleeve shirt this year.  Man, I have too many Ohio State shirts.  I could go 2 weeks and never rewear a single one.

On an unrelated note to this quote, Im not a huge fan of the special uniforms.   We have enough reason to be hyped up for this game!
I'm guessing this is the order of why they wear special jerseys:

1a. Retail

1b. Impress recruits

3. Hype already hyped fans

For 1a and 1b to be most successful, you wear them for your marquee games.

I didn't see much of the PSU/UM game, but what I did catch I thought the PSU defense was flying around and looked very athletic.  I'd enjoy a nice defensive slobber knocker Saturday afternoon.  Those are the best games imo.  As long as we win.   :D
Just another quick comparison to what I posted above for tOSU, this time with Penn State #s:

Total Defense: 9th

Red Zone Defense: 8th 

Rushing Defense: 17th

Turnover Margin: 2nd

By no means should tOSU take this game lightly.  Penn State has a good defense and is clicking as well.  With that said, a look at their schedule shows a similar hole as TTUN:

Penn State: Akron, Pittsburgh, Georgia State, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern, Michigan

The common game between all 3 teams (tOSU, PSU, MI) is Indiana.  The scores between tOSU/IND and PSU/IND is very similar (49-21 away vs 45-14 at home, respectively).

The game on Saturday can easily determine the winner of the B16 East.  Michigan State will want their say in it, but I don't think they're on the same level as tOSU and PSU.

I think a defensive slobber knocker with a couple of big offensive plays is going to define this game.   :football:

For the game in AA this year, they're wearing all white uniforms that honor the '54 champs.  Those should be slick, too.  I know we're biased, but different combos of scarlet, gray, black and white combos all looks pretty awesome together.  Not much looks better, if anything.

2016:

Penn State - at home, after a bye week

Ohio State - on the road, after playing #8 Wisconsin the week before. 

2017:

Ohio State - at home, after a bye week. 

Penn State - on the road, after playing #19 Michigan the week before.

2016:

Penn State - at home, after a bye week

Ohio State - on the road, after playing #8 Wisconsin the week before. 

2017:

Ohio State - at home, after a bye week. 

Penn State - on the road, after playing #19 Michigan the week before.
Not only that, but as I have said last year, we played Wisconsin on the road, night game, after their bye.  Then repeated the whole process again with PSU - on the road, night game, after their bye.  Ridiculous.  I am hoping for some sweet sweet revenge.  Pedal to the metal Urban.

Not only that, but as I have said last year, we played Wisconsin on the road, night game, after their bye.  Then repeated the whole process again with PSU - on the road, night game, after their bye.  Ridiculous.  I am hoping for some sweet sweet revenge.  Pedal to the metal Urban.
Not only would it be sweet revenge, but if both teams win out the rest of their seasons, PSU will likely be once again sitting outside the playoff while OSU is in. 

I was at that game with my oldest daughter.  Horrific weather.  Worse play calling.  Have fun with that,  Longhorns.   What makes it better is that the recruits we are battling over will see it and choose the Bucks.   Finally Beck does something to help us.
That was a nasty day.  I was terribly under dressed.    The football was as bad as a weather.  First time I ever left a game early.  

Users who are viewing this thread