What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brand Spanking new ***OFFICIAL*** Ohio State Buckeyes thread! (2 Viewers)

We have a new nickname/acronym from our wannabe rival.  OSOW.  Other School Out West.  lolz

They stick to their thread because they keep it cool and confident....and don't analyze information, or maybe just ignore it....so I figured I'd pass that gem along.  

Not only would it be sweet revenge, but if both teams win out the rest of their seasons, PSU will likely be once again sitting outside the playoff while OSU is in. 
Well ... maybe

OSU didn't exactly perform well last year; 31-0 ring a bell?  Might be time to put a credible Big 10 team, not to mention Saquon, into the mix.  ESPN needs viewers

That said, the fact the committee put a non-conference winner in last year doesn't bode well for anyone but the winner this year.  So youl could be right.  Or maybe they go another direction entirely and shut the Big 10 out.

That said, the fact the committee put a non-conference winner in last year doesn't bode well for anyone but the winner this year.  So youl could be right.  Or maybe they go another direction entirely and shut the Big 10 out.
Very true.  As long as the committee members change each year, their selection criteria will also change.  Hard to predict the unpredictable.   :loco:

Well ... maybe

OSU didn't exactly perform well last year; 31-0 ring a bell?  Might be time to put a credible Big 10 team, not to mention Saquon, into the mix.  ESPN needs viewers

OSU = ratings if you want to go to that card.

PSU had 2 losses during the '16 regular season.  They deserved nothing beyond the conference trophy they took home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well ... maybe

After three years of the playoff format, OSU is 2-1 in the playoff. So :lmao:  at your "might be time to put a credible Big 10 team" comment.

The reason the Big 10 conference winner didn't get in last year is because they had 2 losses. 

If PSU loses to OSU, and both win out the rest of their seasons, it would produce the same result that happened in 2015, where a one loss Michigan State team (lost to Nebraska) handed OSU their only loss of the year, and both won out the rest of the year. Because MSU beat OSU, they went to the Big 10 championship game and the playoff. OSU was left out. 

Yes, there is a chance the Big 10 gets left out of the play off if the winner has one loss. But regardless, there is no way PSU is getting in if OSU wins Saturday and they both win out. The question would be does OSU get in. 

Hey guys, something something something PSUguys something something something.  They will NEVER know I just said that! :hifive:

Hey guys, something something something PSUguys something something something.  They will NEVER know I just said that! :hifive:
They are being a bit weird.... but as hard as I try, I don't think I can ever not like Penn State, in the way that I don't like Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, etc....

They will always be that team that, while I was going to school at OSU, decided to join the Big 10... and to me that's pretty cool that they decided to do that.   :thumbup:

I also don't think I can ever not like Michigan State either... because they hate Michigan as much as we do.  :hifive:

Galileo said:
I was told to wear black...I guess the plan is for a blackout at The Shoe
Thats what I've seen all over social media the last couple of days.  I really enjoy the ideas of a "Black out" or "White out" or even "Rock the Red" - but sometimes I think it gets lost in day games.  These types of events seem to stand out more during the night games, under the lights.  

Even with that said, I'll be wearing my black OSU gear and cheering on from Cincinnati just to irrate all of my non-Buckeye friends and in-laws.

O - H!

Thats what I've seen all over social media the last couple of days.  I really enjoy the ideas of a "Black out" or "White out" or even "Rock the Red" - but sometimes I think it gets lost in day games.  These types of events seem to stand out more during the night games, under the lights.  

Even with that said, I'll be wearing my black OSU gear and cheering on from Cincinnati just to irrate all of my non-Buckeye friends and in-laws.

O - H!
I-O!

Braxton Miller - The Human Video Game!  His moves are ridiculous!
He is a great human, too.  I follow him on FB and man he does great things for others.  I have an autographed photo of him at home and that is one of my faves. 

Kirk Barton doing good work on Twitter this week in preparation for the PSU game on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/Kirk_Barton/status/923297569379311617

Penn State fans are the cicadas of college football. Show up once a decade, make a bunch of noise, and people can't wait for them to go away
He's also been going at some PSU Trolls on Twitter the last couple of days.  Very entertaining.  Give him a follow and check it out.  Funny stuff.

OSU 19

PSU 17  +7

Wouldn't be surprised at all with an outright W from PSU.  Weather forecast seems to be on the cold (under 50 degrees) and wet side.  Yes, I'm looking at you now, JT.

Gus is calling the game on Fox, and while he didn't flat out say OSU rolls, he basically did.

PSU Fans already blaming the refs for an assumed loss vs OSU on Saturday.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5721906-penn-state-fans-are-worried-about-officiating-crew-ohio-state-game

The Penn State Nittany Lions are ranked No. 2 in the nation and are about to play the most important football game they've played in the post-Paterno era against the Ohio State Buckeyes.

The Big Ten haven't confirmed which officiating crew will perform the ref duties for the game, but Penn State fans are not thrilled about who might be calling the game.

Buckeye Fans Only @buckeyefansonly

Big Ten has yet to announce the officiating crew for Saturday afternoon’s #OhioState PSU game, however: Penn State fans are freaking out about the rumored zebras for Saturday. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/college-sports/2017/10/86986/penn-state-fans-are-freaking-out-about-the-rumored-officiating-crew-for-saturday …

8:36 PM - Oct 25, 2017

Penn State Fans Are Freaking Out About The Rumored Officiating Crew For Saturday

The Big Ten has yet to announce the officiating crew for Saturday afternoon’s Ohio State-Penn State game. it’s believed that the crew will be that of John O’Neil’s. Ohio State football team squeaks...

elevenwarriors.com

This is because it's apparently John O'Neill's crew, and if you know about the history between O'Neill and the Nittany Lions, you'd understand.

O'Neill was the ref for not one but two controversial Penn State losses this decade -- vs. Nebraska in 2012, and a game in 2014 against these very same Buckeyes.

25 Oct

Victory Bell Rings  ✔@VictoryBellRing

John O’Neill - the official from the 2014 officiating disaster vs OSU and 2012 vs Nebraska - will be the head official on Saturday. Joy.

Victory Bell Rings  ✔@VictoryBellRing

John O’Neill officiated the Penn State/Iowa game this season and 37% of Penn State’s penalty yards this season came in that game.

11:34 AM - Oct 25, 2017

I feel PSU's frustration over this. Having a referee screw you out of a game can leave a bad taste in your mouth, and color every interaction you have with that referee. But hey, go out and play the game, because that's the only way to win. if you're leaving this game close to the point where the officials can control it, then it's your fault.

With the controversy aside, get ready for possibly the best college football game to date this season!

Weather report is clean now.  Saying only a 5% chance of rain at any time during the game.

I was listening to the Bucknets podcast for this morning, and they talked about it and said that. :shrug:
Slow Friday means I get more time to review/read about tomorrow's game.  Bucknuts has been reporting "improving weather conditions" for the last 8 hours.  Last I heard was rain being east of Columbus by 12pm with dry but cold conditions at game time.  :shrug:

From a poster over at 11W.  I enjoy stats and looking at trends, numbers, situations, etc.  This guy did a great job breaking down similarities between tOSU and PSU for tomorrow's game.

I keep hearing about how great Penn St is, and how we’ve only looked good because we haven’t played anyone. This prompted me to take a look at Penn St’s schedule to see where it shows they’ve played Alabama every week. Turns out they have not played Alabama every week (I was as shocked to discover this is you likely are reading it).

This got me analyzing their schedule, to see how good the teams they’ve played are, and further led me to analyze their relative performances against the teams they’ve played.

Turns out, Penn State’s vaunted Defense has yet to play a team that averages 400 yds per game of total offense (Northwestern has the best offense they’ve played at 393.76 yds per game). They’ve also not played anyone who averages 27 pts per game. Iowa is thus far the scoring juggernaut on their schedule at 26.1 pts per game.

I then looked at the actual results of each game each team has played, and compared their performances to how their opponents have fared throughout the season. I think this gives a better indication of the relative strength of the statistics, as opposed to the raw stats. My version of advanced metrics, if you will.

For example: Ohio State has averaged 47.29 pts per game. The defenses we’ve played have allowed, on average, 28.31 points per game. Therefore, our relative strength of scoring is 18.98 pts per game better than our opponents have allowed.

By seeing how each team performed relative to their opponents, I found the following:

Offensive Per Game Differentials:

• Scoring: Ohio State +18.98; Penn State +16.06; Advantage Ohio State
  • Rushing Yards: Ohio State +73.91; Penn State +25.82; Advantage Ohio State
  • Passing Yards: Ohio State +101.41; Penn State +60.75; Advantage Ohio State
  • Total Offense: Ohio State +175.33; Penn State +86.57; Advantage Ohio State
Defensive Per Game Differentials:

• Scoring: Ohio State +14.13; Penn State +14.59; Advantage Penn State
  • Rushing Yards: Ohio State +97.35; Penn State +19.48; Advantage Ohio State
  • Passing Yards: Ohio State -2.55; Penn State +62.44; Advantage Penn State
  • Total Defense: Ohio State +94.78; Penn State +81.93; Advantage Ohio State
So, while Penn State’s defense leads the country in scoring, by adjusting for the strength of opponent you find that they actually give up 14.59 fewer pts per game than their opponents score on average, while Ohio St gives up 14.13 pts per game fewer. So relatively speaking, they are less than half a point better than us. Meanwhile, we are allowing 97 rushing yards per game less than our opponents have averaged, and 95 total yards per game less than our opponents average, while Penn State gives up 20 rushing yards, 62 passing yards and 82 total yards per game less. In other words, when adjusting for opponents, our defense compares very favorably, if not better.

When looking at offense, our scoring offense outperforms theirs by 3 pts per game, our rushing offense by 48 yds per game, passing by 40 yds per game, and total offense by 89 yds per game.

Now, I realize you don’t win games on paper, and isn’t meant to guarantee a win. It was really to illustrate how the idea that OSU looks good because of opponents is really just lazy reporting. If you are going to analyze and judge one team that way, you have to do the work to judge them all fairly.

OSU didn't come ready to play today. I don't think there's much chance overcoming this big of a hole against the #2 team. They needed to play solid ball and have done exactly the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread