What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** FFA WAGERING THREAD - Merry Christmas!!! (6 Viewers)

All right dudes, need some input here.  Have a nice little +8000 future on Croatia/France WC final which JUST stayed alive today.  Also have Croatia +3300 to win the joint at a different book.  Time to start hedging, especially because Croatia looks completely gassed after that Russia match.  I'd say they are the biggest underdog at this point.

For the Croatia/France future, thinking about hedging 10% on Belgium to advance, and 33% on England.  ETA: Except if Belgium and Croatia advance then I've cost myself instead of winning...hmmm....probably need to make Belgium and England equal bets, no?

For the Croatia future, looking at also doing 33% on England, and if somehow Croatia wins another 33% on their opponent.

Appreciate your input fellas.
Is it life changing ?? Then stop getting fancy and enjoy the ride

Is it life changing ?? Then stop getting fancy and enjoy the ride
This is a great point.  It's not.  Not even close.  But...there's this emotional/psych thing where I hate to get this close and get nada.  Makes me a ppuussy huh?

This is a great point.  It's not.  Not even close.  But...there's this emotional/psych thing where I hate to get this close and get nada.  Makes me a ppuussy huh?
I am guilty of this - hedging into a profit when it is not life changing $. Sometimes that seems like the smart move, other times, not so much. 

If you liked it enough to play it, let it ride... or hedge enough to not lose any $ that way you are free rolling it. Of course, this comes from the guy on Belgium to win it all  - and I did not hedge against Brazil, in fact, I bet on Belgium to advance.  Ha!

I am guilty of this - hedging into a profit when it is not life changing $. Sometimes that seems like the smart move, other times, not so much. 

If you liked it enough to play it, let it ride... or hedge enough to not lose any $ that way you are free rolling it. Of course, this comes from the guy on Belgium to win it all  - and I did not hedge against Brazil, in fact, I bet on Belgium to advance.  Ha!
Wow, great bet.  What odds are you sitting on, like 8-1?  And will you hedge vs France?

Wow, great bet.  What odds are you sitting on, like 8-1?  And will you hedge vs France?
8.5-1 and I don't see hedging. If I hedge there, then I would also need to hedge in the final. IF Belgium gets to the final it will be tempting to lock in enough to not lose $, but that will depend upon odds, mood at the moment etc. It is hardly a big bet so I am content to sit back and enjoy the ride. Good Luck with your bet - you are on the doorstep of a great hit!

Last edited by a moderator:
8.5-1 and I don't see hedging. If I hedge there, then I would also need to hedge in the final. IF Belgium gets to the final it will be tempting to lock in enough to not lose $, but that will depend upon odds, mood at the moment etc. It is hardly a big bet so I am content to sit back and enjoy the ride. Good Luck with your bet - you are on the doorstep of a great hit!
Yeah at those odds I'd just let it ride too.  Belgium looked fantastic yesterday, and I think they are a coin flip vs France.  And like I've written several times now, if Croatia didn't look so spent I'd feel a lot better.  Most likely I'll place enough on Belgium Tues to douible my initial investment and see what happens.  Also want to see if Croatia's goalie was sandbagging or what with that hammie.

Yeah at those odds I'd just let it ride too.  Belgium looked fantastic yesterday, and I think they are a coin flip vs France.  And like I've written several times now, if Croatia didn't look so spent I'd feel a lot better.  Most likely I'll place enough on Belgium Tues to douible my initial investment and see what happens.  Also want to see if Croatia's goalie was sandbagging or what with that hammie.
I was just about to add - seeing you are at 80-1, I would be guilty of hedging just a little!

I have Lukaku 16-1.  Seems far fetched at this point, but who knows?
If Kane can score 3 in one game, so can our boy! Haha a shame he should’ve had at least one, if not more against Japan. I’m assuming it’s a loser but will be fun it he makes it interesting. 

Diamondbacks score first, -105

The Padres have had too much success against the Diamondbacks the past two nights and I think it stops tonight.

Two excellent pitchers going after each other. Ever since they installed the humidor, the ball hasn't been traveling nearly as far. I dare say, Chase Field has become a pitchers park.

Anywho, I bet the Diamondbacks to score first the last two games and was let down. Third time's a charm!

Parlay:

Diamondbacks / Padres U8, EVEN
Diamondbacks ML, -200
+200

Man I think I really like the Pods versus Ray. Especially home/night with the roof closed. And with this lined total.

• Opposing teams 17-5 SU (avg line 106) at Chase versus Ray when the total is lined less than 9 (5-0 SU 7±2 rpg on totals 8 or less).
  • Opposing teams 13-7 SU (avg line 109) at Chase versus Ray with the roof closed at night.
  • Opposing teams 24-9 SU (avg line -114) when Ray is pitching on 4 days rest after a start in which he pitched 6 or fewer innings (12-1 SU when Ray threw less than 98 pitches in the previous start).
Pods +172
Pods -1½ +270

What was your full card, or did you just play Menard?
Only other bets were Logano -125 over Harvick (1/2 of Menard bet) and Ford to win +250 (bad line that of course wasn't cancelled).  I wanted to fade other guys, but they were matched against each other.  I was going to tread lightly regardless.  This is just laughable. 

Only other bets were Logano -125 over Harvick (1/2 of Menard bet) and Ford to win +250 (bad line that of course wasn't cancelled).  I wanted to fade other guys, but they were matched against each other.  I was going to tread lightly regardless.  This is just laughable. 
I had a few of those Ford to win +250 too, Matt Dibenedetto was our only hope  :( .  10 of the top 15 cars were Chevy  :loco:

I had a few of those Ford to win +250 too, Matt Dibenedetto was our only hope  :( .  10 of the top 15 cars were Chevy  :loco:
Interesting.  I played it at Heritage which had it double-listed (should have been Toyota line?).  Was even or worse most places.  I thought Stenhouse and then Harvick would pull it through for us and then ............

Interesting.  I played it at Heritage which had it double-listed (should have been Toyota line?).  Was even or worse most places.  I thought Stenhouse and then Harvick would pull it through for us and then ............
My books had a Ford line (at like -130), a Toyota line, then Ford +250.  I assumed it was supposed to be the chevy line.  i dont play many "to win"  bets, but I've bet Jones 6 or 7 times, but not tonight of course.  Had a pretty good night on matchups but it was all lucky garbage, bull#### race.

My books had a Ford line (at like -130), a Toyota line, then Ford +250.  I assumed it was supposed to be the chevy line.  i dont play many "to win"  bets, but I've bet Jones 6 or 7 times, but not tonight of course.  Had a pretty good night on matchups but it was all lucky garbage, bull#### race.
I'm not going to torture myself by looking back, but I know I also bet often on Jones to win during the first 2-3 months of the season.  I'm happy for him to win as a fan of the sport, but I hate that it was under these circumstances.  I pretty much threw in the towel awhile back on 'to win' bets after seeing how much I'd blown this year with Harvick/Truex/Kyle B. winning most weeks.  If I'd sprinkled some $ around this week, he likely wouldn't have been one of them.  I feel fortunate to escape with the Menard matchup win. 

Daily Recap:

6-5-1 (64.55%, -$41.50 - $211.11 parlays = -$252.61)

58-55-6 (51.33% YTD, -$896.56 YTD)

A significant improvement on my last two Saturdays where I went 1-6-1 & 4-7-1 respectively.

Not "good" by any stretch but avoiding the big pitfall days is a big part of the game and we avoided that here. Parlays are really what have been killing me. I have not hit a parlay since June 30th and that's what's really killing me. -$598.65 on parlays alone.

Really a unsustainable pace to be losing them. Hitting 2-3 bets in a row is my speciality, so I expect to warm up on those and see my overall profitability increase. I'm not too worried about it though. My overall numbers leave me much to be confident about:

My overall record for "winning days" is (10-4-4, 71.43%). 10 out of 18 days, I've posted more winners than losers. 4 of those days I've posted more losers than winners. 4 of those days I've had an equal amount of both.

My overall record for profitability is (11-7, 61.11%). 11 out if 18 days, I've posted plays that won money. 7 out of 18, I've posted plays that lost money.

Overall, my short term goal is simple. Break my 9 day slump of not hitting a parlay. That's where turning around my profitability starts and finishes.

If I keep missing my parlays, I'm going to continue to bleed money regardless of who good my overall record is or isn't.

That 5-0 or 8-0 day is just around the corner. Things can turn around in a hurry, I just have to stay fearless.

6-5-1 with a near miss on a +153 money lines and a few parlays tells me I'm knocking on the door of a big deal.

Stay patient, stay hungry.

F5 - Cubs ML, -125 (L)

Phillies/ Pirates no run in first inning, -125 (L)

Astros score first, -140 (W)
Indians score first, -125 (W)
F5 - Phillies ML, +115 (L)
F5 - Rangers ML, -120 (L)
Ray's / Mets U24 HRE, -120 (W)
F5 - Rockies ML, +157 (P)
Nationals score first, -150 (W)
F5 - Dodgers ML, -155 (W)
Royals / Red Sox no run scored first inning, -115 (W)
Diamondbacks score first, -105 (L)

Parlays:

F5 - Twins ML, -135 (P)
F5 - Braves ML, -125 (W)
+213, +$88.89

F5 - Phillies ML, +115 (L)
F5 - Braves ML, -125 (W)
+287, -$100

Dodgers ML, -155 (W)
F5 - Red Sox / Royals U5, -110 (L)
+214, -$100

Diamondbacks / Padres U8
Diamondbacks ML, -200

+200, -$100

F5 - Braves ML, EVEN
F5 - Orioles / Twins U5.5, -110
Red Sox / Royals no run first inning, -110

Parlay:

F5 - Cubs ML, -150
F5 - Royals / Red Sox U5.5, -115
+250

F5 - Rockies ML, +120
Rockies / Mariners U27.5 HRE, -120
Diamondbacks score first, -125
Giants score first, +115
F5 - Giants ML, -115

Parlay:

Diamondback ML, -205
Diamondbacks / Padres U7.5, -115

+178

Parlay 2:

F5 - Diamondbacks ML, -200
F5 - Giants ML, -115
+180

Kemp DH for the Dodgers tonight. Man, I was ready to lock Turner in at DH again because he's lined at a flat 2. Man, that sucks! <_< Have to go see what Kemp's done at DH..

Users who are viewing this thread