What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michigan FBGs, I need your assistance (1 Viewer)

CGRdrJoe

Footballguy
I plan to hit up my gb beagle via crackbook but I'd also appreciate some input from the rest of you guys as well. Work has me relocating to Cheboygan, MI, while not overly excited I'm also far from upset. What counties out there are the best to try and live in?  I'd like to keep my commute under 45 minutes but I really have 0 idea about any of the areas out there.

If you're relocating now you'll get a good sense of the type of commute you're really willing to have.  Not knowing your background this may be a non-issue, but it will get ugly the next couple of months.  

If you're relocating now you'll get a good sense of the type of commute you're really willing to have.  Not knowing your background this may be a non-issue, but it will get ugly the next couple of months.  
I won't move until some time in July

I plan to hit up my gb beagle via crackbook but I'd also appreciate some input from the rest of you guys as well. Work has me relocating to Cheboygan, MI, while not overly excited I'm also far from upset. What counties out there are the best to try and live in?  I'd like to keep my commute under 45 minutes but I really have 0 idea about any of the areas out there.
I have no idea what this means or is asking

It all "up north"

You will most likely want to liver in Traverse City.

Also I doubt there is any traffic there

It all "up north"

You will most likely want to liver in Traverse City.

Also I doubt there is any traffic there
Traverse City proper is a traffic horror show at times during the year. Fudge Season, Cherry Festival, Air Show....

Its also 90 minutes at least from TC to Cheyboygan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will imagine you'll want to be closer to I-75 than away from it, unless you're happy with the small town feel and don't think you'll be going places much.

Good lord, Joe....who the hell did you piss off in the upper ranks to get this treatment?  Cheboygan is hell and gone from anything resembling a big city.  Was Gnome, Alaska spoken for?

:shrug:

I guess maybe I made someone mad but it's the best boat out of my choices. Florida or NC were the other front runners but I would have been gone 8-9 months out of the year on those boats and they are #### boats

That's way the hell up there, but probably pretty cool if you're into outdoorsy stuff like hunting, camping, fishing, hiking. Probably pretty easy to score some Cat up there as well.

That's way the hell up there, but probably pretty cool if you're into outdoorsy stuff like hunting, camping, fishing, hiking. Probably pretty easy to score some Cat up there as well.
It's awesome from May-October, give or take.  The area anyway, I've never actually been to Cheboygan.  If you ski then year round I could see working too.  

yeah, while I may want to live over in Traverse City that is not going to happen. 
Traverse City is a good two hours away.  I have been to that area quite a bit and it is two different lives.  Rural and the people who live on the water. If you are from a city get ready to slow your ### down.  Also prepare for a 8 month winter and shopping at the Walmart Super Center.  It is beautiful though..Good Luck

I'm probably putting the carriage before the horse on this as I don't know what my winter schedule looks like, so if I'm not really commuting much in winter then maybe I could consider a place like Petoskey? or maybe it was Pellston...

Nice area to visit but I'm not sure id want to live up there.  I have family in Onaway on Black Lake and have visited Indian River quite a bit (Burt Lake is probably a Top 5 lake in Michigan) 

:shrug:

I guess maybe I made someone mad but it's the best boat out of my choices. Florida or NC were the other front runners but I would have been gone 8-9 months out of the year on those boats and they are #### boats
Will this change college options for your sons?

I'm probably putting the carriage before the horse on this as I don't know what my winter schedule looks like, so if I'm not really commuting much in winter then maybe I could consider a place like Petoskey? or maybe it was Pellston...
Petosky is a very nice town but that is a good 45 minutes.  Pellston is a small town probably 30 minutes away.

Petoskey is really nice but also like an hour away (well again to visit, not sure to live).  Keep in mind these are all gonna be like 2 lane highway type roads

Also the west side of the state is much more $$$ than east or central up there 

The good news is both Cheboygan and Petoskey have a brewery

hmmm, maybe I should just look to live in Cheboygan then.
unless you're living on one of the lakes everything up there is pretty much the same, at least in that general area.  most of the smaller towns are going to have a local market and like a pizza place and a bar or two.  Cheyboygan is probably one of the bigger cities and has a Wal-Mart...might be one in Gaylord too

I'd say the only benefit to picking something in the upper middle finger area of the state as opposed to ring finger is that you're more centrally located if you want to hit up the west side of the state.  Mackinaw City has a bunch of small shops and bars if you want to go get some fudge or an I'm With Stupid T-Shirt

unless you're living on one of the lakes everything up there is pretty much the same, at least in that general area.  most of the smaller towns are going to have a local market and like a pizza place and a bar or two.  Cheyboygan is probably one of the bigger cities and has a Wal-Mart...might be one in Gaylord too

I'd say the only benefit to picking something in the upper middle finger area of the state as opposed to ring finger is that you're more centrally located if you want to hit up the west side of the state.  Mackinaw City has a bunch of small shops and bars if you want to go get some fudge or an I'm With Stupid T-Shirt
According to one website I've found I can plan on visiting: Chicago, Grand Haven, Milwaukee, Sault Ste Marie, Mackinaw City, Duluth, Marquette, Thunder Bay Canada, Detroit, Windsor Canada, Sarnia Canada, Port Huron, Owen Sound Canada, Cleveland, and Toledo.

It really depends on the type of person you, Gaylord is very nice, but might be a longer commute than you want. Personally I would keep it under 30 minutes because in the winter you can double or triple that time. You also should know that "up north" is very touristy, all year round. If you don't want to deal with those people I would suggest you move further away from 75. 

There is a brewery there. As others said, if you are an outdoorsman, you hit the jackpot. If you are more of a city person, you are going to be really bored. 

Cheyboygan is my favorite up north town, my grandpa used to take me up there on his train route and I go every year.

Don't listen to GM, you're going to heaven. I'll post some living stuff later, anyone saying Traverse City is a ####### moron. Way better places near to you. Gimme a couple of hours. 

Oh this great Joe!

Cheboygan isnt bad.  Gaylord is too far.  I know several people who live there who I can put you in touch.  Hunting, fishing, hiking, cross country skiing all great options.Local school is decent.

I'm keen on the fishing and mountain biking, any hills for snow boarding? I'm headed up there solo as no one in the family wants to uproot from Ca at this point. I'll be gone half the year anyways but I'm greatly appreciating all the advice so far.

I'm keen on the fishing and mountain biking, any hills for snow boarding? I'm headed up there solo as no one in the family wants to uproot from Ca at this point. I'll be gone half the year anyways but I'm greatly appreciating all the advice so far.
Snowboarding is about 45-60 mins away depending on weather.  Plenty of mountain biking.  You'll find a drastic change in cost of living from NoCal.

Are you the guy that protested my squisy posting at :e: ?

Asking for a friend.  Don't want to waste a bunch of time posting links to stuff if you hate me. 

SofaKings said:
CGRdrJoe said:
Snowboarding is about 45-60 mins away depending on weather.  Plenty of mountain biking.  You'll find a drastic change in cost of living from NoCal.
Actually a lot of million dollar homes up that way as the best inland lakes in Michigan are very near.  Still way cheaper than the Traverse City area, and better IMO.  Problem is access to a good airport and the cold ### winters, besides that I'm not sure I'd rather live anywhere in the world than in Northern/NE Michigan. 

Users who are viewing this thread