What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alt Country / Texas Country ***Official Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Cody Jinks
American Aquarium
Turnpike Troubadours
All are genius.

Edit:  Which one is playing at BBQ Fest this year, GB?

Is it too early for me to commit to that weekend?

Last edited by a moderator:
All are genius.

Edit:  Which one is playing at BBQ Fest this year, GB?

Is it too early for me to commit to that weekend?
Never too early.. in fact if you're serious you should book rooms soon. I booked mine in September. Inbox me if you need assistance as there are significant YES/NO marks on most hotels downtown. Pricing is $150-300/nt at this point and you'd wanna be here Thurs > Sat (comp day) or Sun.  

@sbonomo and his evil twin will be in town as always as well... as will @Tusken Raider (another team next door)

Joe T said:
Looks like the old threads have been archived so I thought it would be good to start a new one.

Heard this today:

Black Berry Smoke - Good One
Blackberry Smoke has been one of my favorites for about five years now (my band covers seven of their tunes).  But I really consider them good ole southern rock.  Charlie Starr is a ridiculous talent on both vocals and guitar. Got to hang a bit with the guys after a show last year. Really cool and down to earth. Have corresponded some with the drummer, Brit Turner.  His beautiful little daughter is a cancer survivor, and the band does a lot for pediatric cancer causes. 

The Whippoorwill and Little Piece of Dixie are amazing albums front to back. The new album has some outstanding tracks as well. 

Recently got into this genre.  Don't have a wide knowledge of the genre, but a big fan of the Bottle Rockets so far.  Haven't gotten through their whole library yet, but I'm digging their older stuff.

big, big, big fan of Blackberry Smoke.  Seen them 4 times now in the last few years.  they are coming around to Detroit on 12/29 with Whiskey Myers, who is also a favorite of mine.  Good stuff.

The Star Room Boys (no longer together):

Liar in my heart - https://youtu.be/i4sSlGVOpFM

Souvenir - https://youtu.be/BGDMVqPP9ig

Always been one of my favs for this genre, pissed I never got to see them live

Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats:

SOB - https://youtu.be/1iAYhQsQhSY

St Paul and the Broken Bones:

Grass is Greener - https://youtu.be/8Y_eiyO77b4

(doubtful they qualify as alt-country, but not sure where they'd fit either)
St Paul and Broken Bones are straight out of the Alabama soul school of Florence/Muscle Shoals - a lot of those bands out there these days.

Son Volt probably my favorite.  I've seen a lot of my other favorite bands labeled as alt country (Wilco, Heartless Bastards, Band of Horses) but they sound way less-countryish than the stuff posted in here.

Lucero is weird for me.  I only know a few songs, and while I like they way they sound, the songs don't hook me.
What songs do you know? 

Their songs aren't generally "hook-y" in a traditional sense. Lucero is, IMO, best consumed in an extending sitting like a playlist or live show. 

They are playing their annual "Family Christmas" show here in Memphis next Saturday and I can't ####### wait. One of the top few shows I see every year. 

went ahead and bought more Turnpike Troubadour stuff today.  I had a couple of their songs but now I have 2 full albums.  :thumbup:

Blackberry Smoke has been one of my favorites for about five years now (my band covers seven of their tunes).  But I really consider them good ole southern rock.  Charlie Starr is a ridiculous talent on both vocals and guitar. Got to hang a bit with the guys after a show last year. Really cool and down to earth. Have corresponded some with the drummer, Brit Turner.  His beautiful little daughter is a cancer survivor, and the band does a lot for pediatric cancer causes. 

The Whippoorwill and Little Piece of Dixie are amazing albums front to back. The new album has some outstanding tracks as well. 
My favorite band.  Love these guys.  

What's your favorite one to cover, and do you sound a bit like Charlie when you sing it?  

What songs do you know? 

Their songs aren't generally "hook-y" in a traditional sense. Lucero is, IMO, best consumed in an extending sitting like a playlist or live show. 

They are playing their annual "Family Christmas" show here in Memphis next Saturday and I can't ####### wait. One of the top few shows I see every year. 

Nights Like These is the only one I can think of.  A few have popped up on Spotify as recommendations, but they haven't stuck with me.

Nights Like These is the only one I can think of.  A few have popped up on Spotify as recommendations, but they haven't stuck with me.
Some favorites (don't have time to link, but all can be found easily):

The War
My Best Girl 
Slow Dancing
Texas & Tennessee
I Can get us out of here 
I'll Just Fall 
Sweet Little Thing
That Much Further West 
What Else Would you Have Me Be? 
Tears Don't Matter Much 
What are you Willing to Lose 
Goodbye Again 
Can't Feel A Thing

Or.. check out Ben Nichols' solo stuff "Last Pale Light"... 

If nothing from there stirs ya, Lucero probably isn't your thing (not a bad thing). 

Who belongs on the Mount Rushmore of Texas musicians?

I think Bob Wills, Townes Van Zandt and Willie Nelson are three easy picks. Who is the fourth? ... Oh Duh, Buddy Holly.

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers are playing at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix on New Year's Eve. They are going to play 10 cover songs from 1976, then do a full set of their stuff. My bro and I have tickets. Can't wait.

Never too early.. in fact if you're serious you should book rooms soon. I booked mine in September. Inbox me if you need assistance as there are significant YES/NO marks on most hotels downtown. Pricing is $150-300/nt at this point and you'd wanna be here Thurs > Sat (comp day) or Sun.  

@sbonomo and his evil twin will be in town as always as well... as will @Tusken Raider (another team next door)
Talk to me about this BBQ Fest

Some favorites (don't have time to link, but all can be found easily):

The War
My Best Girl 
Slow Dancing
Texas & Tennessee
I Can get us out of here 
I'll Just Fall 
Sweet Little Thing
That Much Further West 
What Else Would you Have Me Be? 
Tears Don't Matter Much 
What are you Willing to Lose 
Goodbye Again 
Can't Feel A Thing

Or.. check out Ben Nichols' solo stuff "Last Pale Light"... 

If nothing from there stirs ya, Lucero probably isn't your thing (not a bad thing). 

When this song kicked off that episode of The Walking Dead I remember saying, "Holy $&@!, that's Lucero!"

"The Mountain" something more upbeat/footstompin'.

The guys covering "Modern Love" (give them a minute to get going in this clip, the sax & keyboards sound awesome.)

Users who are viewing this thread