Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

What song are you listening to right now?

obsessively celebrating the 50th anniversary of a classic lately.

i love some of those first-time-listen youtube vids, where the young folk check out songs of my era or middle-aged folk analyze them musictheorywise. one of them was old Genesis chestnut The Musical Box 23:00. '73's Genesis Live has been in my rotation forever so i've never been out of touch with it but, to see the young person's amazement and enthusiasm listening to the studio version i could not stop wishing him to check it out live, so looked up a vid of it myself.

because i saw Genesis' first American concert in the fall of '72 (had NO idea who they were), i saw the 1st time Musical Box was performed in this country and it's Gabriel's performance of that song which is riveted in my mind from that concert and the beginning of a long appreciation of my favorite musical artist. "NOW..NOW..NOW..NOW..NOW!!" is right up there with anything i've seen onstage.

the song needs a little explaining to understand how Gabriel acted it out so, from Wiki, "The lyrics are based on a Victorian fairy tale written by Gabriel, about two children in a country house. The girl, Cynthia, kills the boy, Henry, by cleaving his head off with a croquet mallet. She later discovers Henry's musical box. When she opens it, "Old King Cole" plays, and Henry returns as a spirit, but starts aging very quickly. This causes him to experience a lifetime's sexual desire in a few moments, and he tries to persuade Cynthia to have sexual intercourse with him. However, the noise causes his nurse to arrive, and she throws the musical box at him, destroying them both." enjoy -

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

The vocalist, who was not a professional, only got to do this because she was the only one in the studio that day who could sing the song in English. 

When I do a set list with Girl From Impanema, I also include

Girl Don't Come by Sandy Shaw (1964)

https://youtu.be/tbrsvmHWxio

• Like 1

Wishbone Ash - Jail Bait - Live BBC 1971

The best dual lead guitar band ever. If you doubt that, check out their catalog.

And how often have you ever seen a drummer put in front of the band ??? I think this was some quirky thing UK producers or directors thought at the time made better television.

https://youtu.be/wsdXh8eBcts

Edited by squistion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HellToupee said:

You ever hear of a band called Thin Lizzy?

Yes and I saw them, opening for Queen at Santa Monica Civic (of course I was only a toddler at the time 😊).  Perhaps the best incarnation of that band was before that with Eric Bell as a single lead (see Little Girl In Bloom, The Rocker) although different sound and apples/oranges comparison.

More Wishbone Ash, Lady Whiskey (song takes off around 2:18 mark) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT0ScZllgxY

Edited by squistion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Yes and I saw them, opening for Queen at Santa Monica Civic (of course I was only a toddler at the time 😊).  Perhaps the best incarnation of that band was before that with Eric Bell as a single lead (see Little Girl In Bloom, The Rocker) although different sound and apples/oranges comparison.

More Wishbone Ash, Lady Whiskey (song takes off around 2:18 mark) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT0ScZllgxY

I love this thread and actually almost all of the music threads. I’ve never listened to Wishbone Ash but after giving them a listen  I know they aren’t my cup of tea. Thanks for posting them 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

I love this thread and actually almost all of the music threads. I’ve never listened to Wishbone Ash but after giving them a listen  I know they aren’t my cup of tea. Thanks for posting them 

I can understand that from someone who grew up on the mid-late 70s CBGB's new wave music scene.

Edited by squistion

Apologize if this one has already been mentioned. As many of you guys know—I’m a big Tool, Puscifer, A Perfect Circle fan.  Essentially—I’m a big Maynard James Keenan fan.   This song by A Perfect Circle has ended up becoming an ear worm for me over time. The first time I heard this song—I found it to be very awkward sounding and unlike any other Perfect Circle songs that I’ve heard before.  Maynard almost sounds like a rapping jester in parts of it.  My immediate thought after my first listen was “what the hell was that?”, and “I didn’t like that very much” and somehow—hours later—the song was stuck in my head.  I gave it a few more listens and it has grown on me big time ever since.  

Hourglass by A Perfect Circle. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nShkRKrozrA

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I have tickets to pre...post Lollapalooza Journey where, I seen pre Steve Perry JOurney headline Van Halen , Montrose show... deciding if I should go, or not lol...Neal and new drummer worth ticket...but if Greg shows up and I skip it....guess I made up my mind...lol