What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mitch Trubisky, BUF (5 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Three of five scouts who spoke with NFL Media indicated that North Carolina redshirt junior QB Mitch Trubisky has the most to gain from his bowl performance.

Trubisky will be facing off with Stanford in the Hyundai Sun Bowl on December 30. One scout believes that "a big game here will start the hype train," while another wants to see how the 6-foot-3, 220-pound redshirt junior handles the spotlight. "He can create a little separation with a big performance," said a third evaluator. Trubisky indicated earlier this week that he had received a first-round draft grade from the college advisory committee. He hasn't officially declared yet -- that figures to come after the Sun Bowl -- but it would be a surprise if he didn't take a jump into the 2017 draft pool when all is said and done. 
Dec 22 - 3:06 PM

Source: NFL.com

North Carolina redshirt junior QB Mitch Trubisky revealed that he has received a first-round grade from the college advisory committee.

"I’m not letting it take up too much of my time or letting it stress me out that much," Trubisky said, adding, "I’m just trying to gain as much information as possible and trying to figure out what’s best for me, but at the same time, just staying focused for the bowl game." The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder is expected to make his draft decision once UNC has squared off with Stanford in the Sun Bowl on December 30. Last week, a rival scout forwarded to the New York Daily News that the Jets are currently hot for Trubisky, saying that they "love that kid" and "[t]hat's their guy." He could potentially be the first quarterback off the board come the spring draft. In 12 games this season, Trubisky has thrown for 3,468 yards while posting a 28/4 TD/INT ratio. 

Dec 19 - 1:53 PM

Source: Scout.com

The Jets are "all over" North Carolina redshirt junior QB Mitch Trubisky, a rival scout told the New York Daily News.
So much for the Christian Hackenberg experiment. "The Jets are all over this kid," said the scout. "All over him. They'll probably deny it if you ask, but they love that kid. That's their guy. They're not going to get him though, because I think that kid is going to get over-drafted." Trubisky is widely expected to declare for the draft following his upcoming December 30 Sun Bowl game against Stanford. The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder enters that game with a sensational 28/4 TD/INT rate. The Jets, 4-9, sit in the No. 6 slot at present moment. We think that's rich for Trubisky, and ESPN's Todd McShay agrees, giving the Jets Tim Williams in his most recent mock and sliding Trubisky to No. 30 (as the first QB taken). Much can change between now and April, however. "Last year when I watched [Jared] Goff, I said there’s no way this guy is the first pick in the draft," one personnel director said. "But you just never know."

Source: New York Daily News 
Dec 15 - 3:03 PM

An NFC executive says UNC redshirt junior QB Mitch Trubisky is a top-10 pick.
"Accurate, good vision, athletic, tough … I think he’s a Top 10 pick," said the exec. Another NFC exec agreed with the sentiment in theory, saying Trubisky has the "accuracy and overall arm talent" to go that high. NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks compared Trubisky to Chiefs QB Alex Smith last month and colleague Daniel Jeremiah comped him to former Kansas City QB Trent Green. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Trubisky has 3,468 passing yards with a 28/4 TD/INT ratio on about 70 percent completions.

Source: MMQB 
Nov 28 - 2:22 PM

ESPN's Todd McShay says he'd advise UNC redshirt junior QB Mitch Trubisky "to return to school for his senior season."
"There's a lot to like: He has good size (6-3, 220) and solid mechanics, and he shows the ability to get good velocity on vertical/deep-out throws," he wrote. "With 18 TDs versus just two interceptions, Trubisky has also been a very sound decision-maker this season." Trubisky has been getting so much hype recently that Heels HC Larry Fedora told reporters this week that he doesn't want his star prospect focusing on the draft prior to the close of the season.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Nov 2 - 6:57 PM

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks compares UNC redshirt junior QB Mitch Trubisky to Alex Smith.
"As a sound decision maker with a big arm and superb throwing mechanics, he can carve up a defense from the pocket," he wrote. "Trubisky works every area of the field with pinpoint precision to stretch the defense horizontally and vertically." The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder has 1,711 yards and a 13/0 TD/INT ratio through four games. "With Trubisky also displaying sneaky athleticism as a runner/scrambler, the North Carolina standout reminds me a lot of Alex Smith when he was at Utah," Brooks wrote. "Although I'm not ready to proclaim Trubisky as a potential No. 1 pick in a future draft, I definitely believe he has a number of tools that will make scouts ponder the possibilities when checking out his tape this fall."

Oct 7 - 7:10 PM

Pro Football Focus' Steve Palazzolo calls UNC redshirt junior QB Mitch Trubisky an NFL Draft breakout prospect and says he "drove the ball to the sideline with velocity and showed touch on the deep ball" against Pitt last time out.

PFF has Trubisky ranked among the nation’s top quarterbacks through four weeks. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound redshirt junior is No. 2 in the FBS in completion percentage at 74.5 percent along with a sterling 10/0 TD/INT rate. "There’s still room for Trubisky to grow from within the pocket as he’s often late to feel pressure and mechanical when trying to escape it, but there will also be times he breaks free from sacks or maneuvers out of the pocket in order to extend a play," Palazzolo wrote. "A screen-heavy offense and an outstanding array of pass catchers have certainly helped his cause, but Trubisky is primed to make some noise as he heads into the meat of ACC play." This week, UNC takes on a Derwin James-less Florida State.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched his bowl game and hadn't really paid attention to him before (not a UNC fan). It was apparent to me that he was a bit green and made some mistakes. It was also apparent to me that he had serious ability. If I were him I'd declare because I think teams in need of a QB would see that potential.

UNC isn't going to compete for a NC so personally, I'd rather get to the NFL and work on my game.

Mitch declared for the draft.

The Players' TribuneVerified account@PlayersTribune

After three seasons with @TarHeelFootball, @Mtrubisky10 is headed to the NFL. http://playerstribu.ne/TrubiskyNFL 
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler  2h2 hours ago
Since 1970, only 2 QBs have been drafted 1st round w/ only 1 yr of starting experience at the major college level. Trubisky would be third.
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler  2h2 hours ago
(the other two were Mark Sanchez and Cam Newton)
Shane Alexander ‏@Alexander1Great  2h2 hours ago
UNC'a Mitch Trubisky declares for the 2017 Draft. His 13 career starts would rank last among recent 1st round picks & all current starters.
Derrik Klassen
‏@QBKlass Derrik Klassen Retweeted Brett McMurphy
Trubisky is QB4, at best.Derrik Klassen added,
Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
UNC QB Mitch Trubisky declares for NFL Draft

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article125382399.html

... Trubisky just about about had to do that. UNC's offense was already going to be decimated next season -- no Elijah Hood, Ryan Switzer, Bug Howard, T.J. Logan or Mack Hollins. There was absolutely no way Trubisky was going to improve his NFL stock.

... Now for the real question: How good will Trubisky actually be in the pros?

Let's just say I have my doubts. I have watched almost every snap of his college games, and Trubisky still is going to have to convince me and a lot of others that he will be anything more than an average NFL quarterback. Not that "average" is a terrible thing, or an uncommon one -- Cam Newton was an average NFL quarterback (at best) for the Panthers this past season. You stay employed for a long time as an average NFL QB, especially if you have a few flashes of greatness along the way.

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell reports that the Jets have yet to begin their due diligence on North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky.
In mid-December, the New York Daily News reported that the Jets were "all over" Trubisky. It looks like that might have been putting the cart before the horse, though. "When I told this to Jets sources, they rolled their eyes and shook their head," writes Campbell from the Senior Bowl. "They said that general manager Mike Maccagnan has them work more in depth on early entry players later in the process and not during the fall, so it is way too early to say that for almost any non-senior." Campbell further relays that the Jets are happy with the progress Christian Hackenberg has made behind the curtain. If this is actually true, then the odds of the Jets drafting a quarterback in the early rounds this spring drop precipitously.

Source: Walter Football 
Jan 24 - 12:56 PM

I'll be honest, that is one of the dumbest answers I have ever seen if true and if that is the case, no wonder why the Jets are where they are. It is likely a complete smoke screen. Look at all the top rated players in the 1st round, most are pre-seniors. If you really only scouted seniors in the Fall and then waited until the kids declared to start looking at the underclassmen, then that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That same web site's big board has 22 or 23 of the top 25 as underclassmen. Not evaluating early entrants while evaluating seniors to be is a waste as most of the top prospects are underclassmen. It's almost surprising when underclassmen who are in the top 3-4 rounds don't declare. Look at the same web site's declaration page and the kids going back to school is a small portion of the kids coming out.

Anyway, love the stuff about Hackenberg. Using Goff as an example of why they didn't want to give him any reps is funny when Dak and Wentz got a ton of playing time in and improved greatly with the reps. When Bryce Petty got hurt at the end of the season and they still wouldn't even think about giving Hackenberg reps that's a huge red flag. IMHO, it confirmed those rumors that he was doing terrible.

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said NFL scouts expect North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky to measure in at just over 6-foot-1 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
This would be a major development, as North Carolina listed Trubisky at 6-foot-3. Ranked by many as the best quarterback in the Draft -- and seen as a consensus first-rounder -- Trubisky's stock will presumably take a hit if this is true. As USA Today's Luke Easterling notes, Johnny Manziel and Rex Grossman are the only 6-foot-1 or shorter quarterbacks in the last 15 years to get drafted in the first round. The Combine begins on February 28.

Source: Dan Kadar on Twitter 
Jan 30 - 12:57 PM

IMO this guy is the best QB in this class. Although my opinion and $1 can get you a coffee at McDonalds. 

Whoever lands this guy is going to be landing a keeper. Please not Chicago, please not Chicago... (hoping CHI takes Watson)

How's this guy's arm?

Sometimes his pass has zip, then others seem to have more arc than you'd like. My gut says one of the stronger arms in the class.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora hears that the Browns and Jets are "highly intrigued" by North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky.

Though Jets personnel told Walter Football's Charlie Campbell near the end of January that New York has yet to begin truly cracking into the pistachio that is Trubisky, both the Jets and Browns would make for logical Trubisky landing spots. In the first round, Cleveland holds the No. 1 and No. 12 picks in the draft, while the Jets own No. 6. The Jets' position is particularly interesting, as not only do will the Browns hold all the cards with that first pick, the Jets do not pick until after quarterback-needy squads San Francisco (No. 2) and Chicago (No. 3). Along with Notre Dame gunslinger DeShone Kizer, one-year UNC starter Trubisky is widely viewed as one of the top quarterback prospects in the 2017 draft pool.

Source: CBS Sports 
Feb 2 - 8:18 PM

UNC QB Mitch Trubisky told MMQB that he's a big Browns fan.
He's not just lobbying to get taken No. 1 (or 12) overall. The Mentor (Ohio) High School alum is "a bit of a legend in Northeast Ohio," according to Emily Kaplan, and also a big fan of his hometown team. "I root for Cleveland everything," Trubisky said. "I love where I’m from. No matter what, everyone still believes in the Browns and that's so cool. It’s different being from there. Nobody knows why we love Cleveland so much unless you’re from there."

Source: MMQB 
Feb 6 - 4:30 PM

One AFC area scout believes UNC QB Mitch Trubisky needs to do a better job of seeing blitzes.
In a conversation with Lance Zierlein of NFL.com, the evaluator said, "(Trubisky) better get better at seeing blitzes and throwing hot or he’ll get eaten alive by the exotic packages they are throwing at quarterbacks these days." Many scouts are going to love what Trubisky flashes, but the fact is we really only have 12 or 13 games to look at, meaning just 12 or 13 opposing gameplans designed to stop Trubisky and his reaction to them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784491/article/mayock-id-be-scared-to-death-to-draft-qb-in-top-10-this-year?campaign=tw-cf-sf55059900-sf55059900&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Mayock: I'd be scared to death to draft QB in top 10 this year

...  "If (Trubisky is) so talented and gifted, and a top-10-type pick, one of the first questions a lot of teams are asking is, why couldn't he beat out Marquise Williams the last couple years at North Carolina? What's the answer to that one?," Mayock said.

...  As tempting as it might be for an NFL club to address the most important position on the field with the best any given draft has to offer, drafting for need over value is reputed to be a bad strategy.

And if the teams needing a quarterback stick to value-based picks early in the draft, the top QBs could slide for a while.

The MMQB's Albert Breer spoke with an AFC executive who said he would be "shocked if (UNC QB Mitch) Trubisky’s not the first one off the board."
Another evaluator added that Trubisky will "ascend" as the process goes along, and teams like him in the top three area. Expect that conversation to dip a little at the NFL Combine, where Trubisky is expected to measure in around 6-foot-1. Josh Norris was told "it is what it is" by someone close to Trubisky when asked about the topic of height. The quarterback discussion might not be unanimous, but what is unanimous is the demand NFL teams have at the position. Four different passers could be ranked as the top quarterback.

Source: The MMQB 
Feb 10 - 9:03 AM

On his most recent Big Board, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. slotted North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky in at No. 10.
"I don't see a potential top-five talent at quarterback in this draft," Kiper writes, "but that doesn't mean a QB-needy team won't be desperate and pick one in the top five." To whit, Kiper is currently mocking Trubisky to the 49ers at No. 2. Noted the analyst, "He throws a nice ball, has some touch and velocity and is mobile, too. Experience is a question mark -- he just doesn't have a lot of tape." An AFC executive who spoke with MMQB's Albert Breer said earlier this week that he would "shocked" if Trubisky is not the first quarterback to hear his name called in April.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Feb 11 - 1:36 PM

NFL Films producer Greg Cosell does not view UNC QB Mitch Trubisky as "necessarily a high level talent."
Trubisky "needs infrastructure, the right offensive system for him to develop into a quality starter," Cosell said. Function of the offense and system fit are two labels that stand out in this discussion of Trubisky. The same label can be dished out to a number of passers in the NFL and in each class. We care most about how quarterbacks handle confined space and a closing pocket, and that part of Trubisky's evaluation was not mentioned in this conversation.

Source: Mid Day 180 
Feb 16 - 9:25 AM

On the Move the Sticks podcast, NFL Media analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks comped North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky to Trent Green and Alex Smith, respectively.

"I can see some of [Trent Green in Trubisky]," Brooks said, "but I'm willing to give Mitch a little more credit for his athleticism. How about Alex Smith, who is right there in Kansas City? He kind of reminds me of Alex in terms of his ability to run. He just doesn't showcase it." This week, an AFC national scout forwarded the belief that Trubisky "has the same talent as Carson Wentz." Wentz was ultimately drafted by the Eagles at No. 2 a year ago. If you're into symmetry, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that the 49ers could take Trubisky at No. 2 this coming April.

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes UNC QB Mitch Trubisky possesses the best 2016 season tape in this class of quarterbacks.
What makes it difficult is DeShone Kizer possesses the best 2015 tape. This only feeds into the questions, like... Why was Kizer's 2016 tape so different? Is a team comfortable enough with Trubisky's one year of starting experience? And, where does Watson fit in that ranking in both 2015 and 2016? Quarterback opinions start to come together in NFL circles during Combine week.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter 
Feb 21 - 11:19 AM

Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot reports that the Browns are "strongly considering" taking North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky with the No. 1 overall pick.
With Browns HC Hue Jackson not certain that his favored quarterback will still be available at pick No. 12 (we would tend to think Trubisky won't be around at that point), they could pull off a shocker and simply take the UNC signal-caller at No. 1. NFL Network's Mike Silver said on Wednesday, "I'm almost positive that they'll do the no-brainer thing at No. 1 and take Myles Garrett." Concur, but assuming Cabot's report is accurate, consider Trubisky a very dark horse to go No. 1 overall.

Source: cleveland.com 
Mar 2 - 4:29 PM

Packers beat writer Bob McGinn spoke with one NFL scout who said UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky is his top prospect in the draft.

"I wanted to compare him to (Brett) Favre but he’s a much better athlete than Favre and he’s faster than Favre," the evaluator told McGinn. Yes, you read that correctly. An NFL scout wants to compare a college prospect with 13 total starts to Brett Favre. The scout then praised Trubisky mobility and called him a Marcus Mariota-type. We can conceivably understand the top overall ranking since Trubisky plays quarterback and a prospect with a quality starter game should be at the top of boards. But he's not Brett Favre.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky is "not a high-level talent prospect," according to NFL Films producer Greg Cosell.
Cosell projects Trubisky to be a "function of head coach-OC view of him as a system fit," specifically calling attention to "a lot of flaws in his mechanics." Trubisky is mentioned by many as the No. 1 quarterback in this class, but that label seems to be in a constant cycle. Trubisky only has 13 starts to his name, and only 12 are viable since one was played in terrible weather.

Source: Greg Cosell on Twitter 
Mar 20 - 10:32 AM

The Jets are "very intrigued" by UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky, according to ESPN's Rich Cimini.
"This is something to watch," Cimini writes. Trubisky's pro day is on Tuesday. The Jets are incredibly tight lipped about their interest in any prospect or position, but Cimini does point out that GM Mike Maccagnan has a tendency to draft a quarterback every year.

Source: ESPN 
Mar 21 - 11:35 AM

Browns coach Hue Jackson and executive VP of football operations Sashi Brown skipped North Carolina QB Mitchell Trubisky's pro day workout on Tuesday.
No biggie; Cleveland has already scheduled Trubisky for a private workout. NFL.com's Bucky Brooks slots Trubisky No. 25 to the Texans. The Jets and 49ers have been both sniffing around Trubisky recently.

Source: Cleveland Plain-Dealer 
Mar 21 - 2:44 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that North Carolina QB Mitchell Trubisky "struggled with his accuracy" during Tuesday's pro day throwing drills.
Trubisky did show off the requisite arm strength on Tuesday, but where that arm strength led the ball is another matter completely. Notes Pauline, "Receivers were adjusting to errant throws or leaving their feet to grab passes high of the mark. On occasion the ball left his hand funny and Trubisky was way off the target." In assessing the pro day work of both Clemson QB Deshaun Watson (last week) and Trubisky, Pauline believes Watson was the more consistent thrower. We would not be surprised to see Watson drafted before Trubisky on Day 1, though this quarterback class remains relatively fluid.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Mar 21 - 7:58 PM

I really dont like tribusky.  People like his accuracy and ability to go thru his progressions but there are serious problems.  He is absolutely terrible at reading defenses. He has no pocket presence.  He will stand there looking downfield and get buried by some edge guy HARD. Cant see the blitz if his life depended on it.  Also, he fumbles a LOT. He even fumbled once by accidently running into a referee!!!!   That makes him sound like a cleveland brown right there. 

Id rather have kizer.  Some may knock kizers accuracy but that can improve.  Kizer has bad footwork but that is something coaches can fix and then his accuracy jumps. Lack of pocket awareness and fumbling usually never improve. 

I think one of the ways people make flawed analysis is that they rank prospects by flaws when they should rank them by flaws most likely to be fixed.  Footwork is a rather easy fix.  Fumbling and lack of pocket awareness isnt.  So when people drop kizer for some inaccurate throws i think that poor analysis. When they gloss over tribuskys issues again i think that bad analysis 

Tribusky probably gets picked high and busts. Kizer likely falls to the chiefs and andy reid will just fix his footwork and win a super bowl. 

Was a little worried the 49ers brainRUST would collectively mix their brain noodles and take Trubisky at #2. Since they signed Hoyer and a backup that shows me the huge man crush Shanny has for Kirk Cousins. Since we need to rebuild the whole team might as well wait a year on Shanny's guy. I don't,see a standout guy in this class of QB's so might as well wait a year and if we don't get Cousins maybe next year's QB class might have a couple guys at QB. I'm,sure we'll have a#5 pick or lower. Maybe even #1. So they need to use their head, trade down from #2 and trade down further if need be to get someone that'll be a 9er for a while. Good luck Mitchell Trubisky.

I have to laugh at this. The guy seems to be on top of the world and then a couple bad reviews or throws and suddenly he's the next bust. I'm not saying he's a home run next Aaron Rodgers, but this is what scouts had to say about Rodgers before the draft. Im seeing a lot of the same stuff thrown around regarding Trubisky. Again, not saying he will be as good as Rodgers but saying we all should take what these scouts say with a grain of sand. They're wrong probably more often than they're right. 

Marc Ross, Buffalo: "He's a little short. The thing you worry about is those (Jeff) Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. Is he just working magic with great college quarterbacks or just manufacturing guys?"

AFC scout: "I like him. He's a very talented guy. A lot of quarterbacks that were system people have not done very well. That puts up a red flag. Not that he is one of them. He could be an exception. But I can't get it out of my craw."

Rich Snead, Tennessee: "I like him. I just don't know if he's maxed out. He's more accurate than (Kyle) Boller but probably not as athletic. He's a better player than Akili Smith. He's more athletic than (Trent) Dilfer was. He's a little more mobile than Joey Harrington. He had to go to a JC because no one would recruit him because they said he was too small. He's been busting his (expletive) his whole life to get to this point. I just don't know how much more he has to give."

NFC scout: "(Alex) Smith is the better athlete."

AFC scout: "I think he has some upside although there are some things that are just ordinary about him."

Jerry Angelo, Chicago: "I'd give Rodgers the edge (over Smith) just because he was easier to evaluate. And there's a little more arm. But the edge is negligible."

NFC scout: "I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn't have great ability to change the release of the football. He's mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better."

NFC scout: "The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They're too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don't know if they become good pro players. I think Rodgers is in that same mold."

AFC scout: "I don't like him. He's a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don't think he's as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year."

AFC scout: "I don't think he's in the class of the quarterbacks that came out last year. Strong arm. Pretty good athlete. Still has some holes in his game."

Bill Polian, Indianapolis: "I see a guy who has good arm strength. I see some athletic ability. I see a guy who was pretty good with a good team. I see a guy who's in a pretty efficient offense. Am I certain that he's going to come in and lead my team to the Promised Land? I can't say that. I'm not even sure I can say that about Alex Smith."

AFC scout: "He's a system quarterback. 3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can't create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don't think there's a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I'm dead serious. None of them are worth it."

NFC scout: "He fit right into the Cal system. He probably executed that as well as anybody. He doesn't have as strong an arm as Boller but can make the same reads and play the scheme as well as Boller did.

Users who are viewing this thread