What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mitch Trubisky, BUF (2 Viewers)

His hip injury is why Nagy had to have an emotional private conversation with him before removing him from the game. 

They should have held him out a long time ago when he had the shoulder injury, especially because he clearly wasn't running because of the shoulder not being 100 percent yet.  

At least they are trying to save some face I guess, but really they botched it when that was actually possible. 

Couldn't have handled this worse. Unbelievable. Mitch isnt the answer but this just brought the circus to town in a huge way. Daniel is going to embarass Pace, Nagy ought to lose his job after the season. Probably Pace as well. The only thing holding everything together was the illusion of solidarity that Mitch was the future. 

Last edited by a moderator:
BS. If that was the case Nagy wouldn’t have had to be in his ear for 5 minutes explaining it. And Mitch wouldn’t have looked so dejected 

So Matt Hasselbeck was on Golic and Wingo this morning saying that it's too early for the Bears to give up on Trubisky. 

Wingo thinks he'll surely be back with the Bears next year.

I don't pretend to know more about NFL quarterbacking than these two guys, but it certainly was eye-opening to hear those takes.

Why would he not be back? He's still on the rookie contract and you can't get much for him in a trade.

I would be surprised if they don't draft or sign competition for him though.

Why would he not be back? He's still on the rookie contract and you can't get much for him in a trade.

Feels like a situation where they either have to be all in or all out... if he's not still "their guy" and their QB of the future, then he's gotta be gone IMO.  Can't bring him back to compete for the job with Newton or Bridgewater or whoever, or to serve as the backup.  Just seems completely untenable to me.

Next year you almost have to keep him, he costs you 9 million and if you cut him that would go against the cap anyway. Theyre clearly going to have to go get a veteran to compete and that will cost you more than Mitch is making. Its actually not a terrible place to be if you're ok with Trubisky competing for the job and probably ending up the backup, plus hopefully a mid round project QB you can groom.

Its the 2021 option that jumps up to over 30 million, which would be crazy, and signing Trubisky to a long term contract instead would just be lunacy.

if i am the bears i think i put my mouth where my money is and start tromboski for the forseeable future and let him play it out for years and decades as the bears starting qb take that to the bank bromigos

Couldn't have handled this worse. Unbelievable. Mitch isnt the answer but this just brought the circus to town in a huge way. Daniel is going to embarass Pace, Nagy ought to lose his job after the season. Probably Pace as well. The only thing holding everything together was the illusion of solidarity that Mitch was the future. 
I'd be very surprised if Daniel wasn't better, but obviously he's not a long term solution. 

Feels like a situation where they either have to be all in or all out... if he's not still "their guy" and their QB of the future, then he's gotta be gone IMO.  Can't bring him back to compete for the job with Newton or Bridgewater or whoever, or to serve as the backup.  Just seems completely untenable to me.
Why? I've never really understood why QB competitions are bad. Either he'd raise his game a level, or more likely he'd become a backup with experience, and maybe a stint on the bench would help him long term. They wouldn't save much money shipping him out, and the narrative that the team would be divided if he is still on the roster is nonsense. Teams get behind whoever is on the field, regardless. 

if i am the bears i think i put my mouth where my money is and start tromboski for the forseeable future and let him play it out for years and decades as the bears starting qb take that to the bank bromigos
Uh... that just sounds so nasty.

I'd be very surprised if Daniel wasn't better, but obviously he's not a long term solution. 

Why? I've never really understood why QB competitions are bad. Either he'd raise his game a level, or more likely he'd become a backup with experience, and maybe a stint on the bench would help him long term. They wouldn't save much money shipping him out, and the narrative that the team would be divided if he is still on the roster is nonsense. Teams get behind whoever is on the field, regardless. 
The narrative from the fans and media just never ends if the guy is still in town.  Everyone tuning into 670 the Score or picking up the Trib would get a near-daily reminder of what a bust he is/was.

It's not NYC of course, but Chicago is a tough place to be an underperforming pro athlete.  And Trubisky would turn the corner from underperformer to failure if he's the made the backup.

The narrative from the fans and media just never ends if the guy is still in town.  Everyone tuning into 670 the Score or picking up the Trib would get a near-daily reminder of what a bust he is/was.

It's not NYC of course, but Chicago is a tough place to be an underperforming pro athlete.  And Trubisky would turn the corner from underperformer to failure if he's the made the backup.
I guess I'd already written him off as failure. I just hate the idea of throwing away a guy who could be a decent backup, because the media would be annoying. I didn't like the idea that the Cards had to get rid of Rosen either, though I liked getting a 2 for him. Nobody is giving anything for Trubisky.

Nagy said Trubisky has a hip pointer that happened on the sack at the end of the second quarter... 🤔
I had my doubts about the injury excuse at first.  But Chase Daniel came into the game when it was essentially over.  The Bears were down 10 points, with 3:24 on the clock and on their own 15 yard line.  There was no reason to put Trubisky out there with even a minor injury in what was essentially garbage time.  If Nagy truly wanted to switch starting quarterbacks, he would have done it a drive or two earlier.

The Bears are stuck with Trubisky.  Some people on this board believe only 20 quarterbacks should be employed in the NFL.  Unfortunately, there are 32 teams.  Maybe the Bears will go after Cam or one of the veteran schlubs like Dalton or Eli.  Trubisky is probably the type of guy who wouldn't create drama for being demoted to backup.  The Bears could use their first pick in the draft on a quarterback which projects to being a mid second round pick.  That is obviously a project.  They might even sign a veteran free agent, draft a quarterback in the second round, and keep Trubisky as a backup.  Starting caliber NFL quarterbacks don't grow on trees.  There aren't usually quick and easy solutions to acquiring a franchise quarterback.

I was surprised looking back at weeks 4-10 of last year, and can't help but wonder what happened to this dude. He was performing among the top QBs at that time last year then came down with the injury.

chicago has one of the worst fan bases in sports i turned on 670 after they lost in the super bowl to the colts just to hear it and they were screaming and saying the team stunk and was no good and everyone was a bum and fire the whole team and fire the whole coaching staff and fire the whole front office it made me laugh out loud i mean you just came in second in the whole nfl which i know is not first but its still pretty damned good and not a reason to fire everyone in the organization but hey i guess why wouldnt a bunch of free agents want to go there so they can get eaten alive by the fans and sports hosts take that to the bank bromigos

Don Hutson said:
I had my doubts about the injury excuse at first.  But Chase Daniel came into the game when it was essentially over.  The Bears were down 10 points, with 3:24 on the clock and on their own 15 yard line.  There was no reason to put Trubisky out there with even a minor injury in what was essentially garbage time.  If Nagy truly wanted to switch starting quarterbacks, he would have done it a drive or two earlier.
Over? Down 10 with that much time left plus a 2 minute warming and timeouts? That’s a loser mentality if I ever heard one 

Brandon Will said:
I was surprised looking back at weeks 4-10 of last year, and can't help but wonder what happened to this dude. He was performing among the top QBs at that time last year then came down with the injury.
It’s a little weird. It’s like the offense doesn’t match the personnel or something. One thing the Bears did was acquire Burton and draft Shaheen but they hardly use them in the pass game. Although they run frequently they don’t do so consistently. They signed Davis, used him in the first game, then hardly at all after that.

100%. Did you see the last series?
I did.  It was one series.  Trubisky looked bad the whole game.  And the whole year.  The cameras showed Trubisky on the sideline a lot in the second half.  He looked scared.  He looked rattled.  He looked like he had seen a ghost.  He was not going to lead his team to a heroic comeback.

I did.  It was one series.  Trubisky looked bad the whole game.  And the whole year.  The cameras showed Trubisky on the sideline a lot in the second half.  He looked scared.  He looked rattled.  He looked like he had seen a ghost.  He was not going to lead his team to a heroic comeback.
Maybe Nagy should call more option plays 

Of all the games to smash Trubisky, this one to me didn't seem like it. To me he looked ok - I mean, if you had a person who'd never seen an NFL game before watch this one, I doubt they would have thought he looked any 'worse' than Goff or like the worst QB in the NFL or anything like that. It was an average-poor game played between two struggling offenses. The Bears offense looked the same kind of inept as it has done all year, but it wasn't especially bad. It's not like Trubisky couldn't hit the side of a barn or anything. 

So... I wonder how that injured hip is feeling?  Is he physically capable of sitting on the bench this week? 

It somewhat feels like we are reaching the point where coach points finger at QB and QB points finger at coach.... 

So... I wonder how that injured hip is feeling?  Is he physically capable of sitting on the bench this week? 

It somewhat feels like we are reaching the point where coach points finger at QB and QB points finger at coach.... 
I think the coach sees what we all see in game action. I also think the GM has other views ROS.

One of them won't be around in 2020.

Maybe all 3
So the possibilities are:

1. Pace is fired.
  2. Nagy is fired.
  3. Trubisky is fired.
  4. Pace and Nagy are fired.
  5. Pace and Trubisky are fired.
  6. Nagy and Trubkisky are fired.
  7. Everybody is fired.
  8. Nobody is fired.
Votes? I think number 8 is the most likely, number 4 is the most logical, number 7 is the most effective in the long term.

1. Pace is fired.
  2. Nagy is fired.
  3. Trubisky is fired.
  7. Everybody is fired.
  8. Nobody is fired.
Votes? I think number 8 is the most likely, number 4 is the most logical, number 7 is the most effective in the long term.
Unless Trubisky suddenly looks like he "gets it" I can't see how all 3 do this together again in 2020.

Unless Trubisky suddenly looks like he "gets it" I can't see how all 3 do this together again in 2020.
Trubisky is pretty cheap next season, its hard to see them bringing in a new GM, have him hire a new coach and determining what kind of QB he wants in his system, rushing to bring in 2 free agent QBs and/or draft a QB with their limited draft picks that could step in and play if necessary.

In other words, the Bears are screwed just due to the timing. Its really hard to untangle all these guys without screwing over the next guys.

The more I think about it, realistic way is probably to fire Pace and keep the other two. Let Nagy have Trubisky and a F/A QB compete in a throwaway next season, and meanwhile let the new GM have a mulligan season to start scouting for a new coach and future QB in 2021.

Let Nagy have Trubisky and a F/A QB compete in a throwaway next season, and meanwhile let the new GM have a mulligan season to start scouting for a new coach and future QB in 2021.
I think that is what I would do.  Also, I'd let Nagy put in Chase for the rest of this season if he wants.  I'm sure Pace is 100% against it but he should have zero power right now.  Ultimately, Pace is the one who drafted Trubisky.  He should take the fall.

Any word on next week's QB starter?  I have Mitch in a SF league where he is my only healthy QB... And I'm gonna make the playoffs somehow... 

Gotta buy Daniel right now I guess.  If he's named starter I'll have to pay extortionary prices. 

Trubisky is pretty cheap next season, its hard to see them bringing in a new GM, have him hire a new coach and determining what kind of QB he wants in his system, rushing to bring in 2 free agent QBs and/or draft a QB with their limited draft picks that could step in and play if necessary.

In other words, the Bears are screwed just due to the timing. Its really hard to untangle all these guys without screwing over the next guys.

The more I think about it, realistic way is probably to fire Pace and keep the other two. Let Nagy have Trubisky and a F/A QB compete in a throwaway next season, and meanwhile let the new GM have a mulligan season to start scouting for a new coach and future QB in 2021.
Throwing away seasons?  With that defense?

It still blows my mind that Mitch parlayed 13 college starts into being the #1 QB taken in his class. He's the Kevin White of QBs.

1. Pace is fired.
  2. Nagy is fired.
  3. Trubisky is fired.
  7. Everybody is fired.
  8. Nobody is fired.
I’d bet on 8. I don’t trust Phillips and the McCaskeys to get anything right anymore. We just will never have a winning formula as long as Teddy boy is making the big decisions. 

1. Pace is fired.
  2. Nagy is fired.
  3. Trubisky is fired.
  7. Everybody is fired.
  8. Nobody is fired.
I think this is what happens...

1. Pace is safe for probably another 2-3 years. He is the GM until 2021 and it all depends on the McCaskey's and Ted Phillips - they are known to be patient but the chance that we actually have a good QB in the next 2 years are pretty low. 

2. Trubisky... I guess it depends on how the 2020 draft goes and if the Bears pick up the 5th year option. I think what happens next year is Trubisky is our starting QB and will have some decent competition. There's a good chance he loses his job in camp or is benched mid-season ala Mariota this year. I can see Pace being stubborn and exercising his 5th year option, but I'm not sure how this works out financially speaking.

3. Nagy... completely unknown to me but I think he's safe as long as Pace is here. So... two years?

Ideally, all three are gone at the end of 2021. Nagy is the most interesting to me though... I don't like some things he says on the mic, and he obviously has some playcalling issues. But it would be interesting to see "his offense" with a good offensive line and capable QB.

Users who are viewing this thread