What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mitch Trubisky, BUF (1 Viewer)

Very comfortable with him as a QB2 in superflex. Not sure I'd wanna rely on him as my #1.

Suspect he's gonna have a long but mediocre career...ala Flacco
I got rid of him at the beginning of last season because I came to a similar conclusion. I just don't think his ceiling is that high and in dynasty at least unless you are in a 2QB league it isn't worth hanging onto a QB who is average and whose ceiling is not top 4.  I find it hard to imagine Mitch as a top 4 or even top 6 fantasy QB.

I got rid of him at the beginning of last season because I came to a similar conclusion. I just don't think his ceiling is that high and in dynasty at least unless you are in a 2QB league it isn't worth hanging onto a QB who is average and whose ceiling is not top 4.  I find it hard to imagine Mitch as a top 4 or even top 6 fantasy QB.
I don't know why anyone would consider a young QB that rushes for 500+ yards per year and is still developing similar to the statue that is Joe Flacco.  Trubisky only played 14 games last year, and in his first season in a new offensive system he threw for 3223 yards, 24 TDs, 66% completion rate, and he tacked on 421 yards rushing with another 3 tds.  So, 27 total TDs, and if you score passing yards 1pt for every 20 yards, then his rush yards equated to another 842 yards passing, which would have put him at over 4000 passing yards and 27 total TDs.  

Trubisky is one of the better running QBs in the league.  If he stays healthy for 16 games this year would it surprise anyone to see him run for 600+ yards and 4-5 rushing TDs?  If he improves to 4000 yards passing this year and 30+ total TDs plus 600 yards rushing he is easily a top 10 QB maybe higher.  

All reports from the COACHES and PLAYERS at Bear's camp this year are that Trubisky is now light years ahead of where he was at last year, much more comfortable with the offense, reading the defense, and his offensive weapons.  Keep in mind he did not have a long starting career in college, similar to tannehill, except he's a better QB than Tannehill ever was already.  He has some parts of his game that he needs to clean up on like his accuracy issues on deep balls, but overall the kid's got "it".  I think it's crazy to throw the book at him this early in his career and peg him as Flacco'esque. 

Tonight was bad. There’s no sugarcoating it. 

And while there’s no such thing as a good loss, this is the kind of loss that could serve as a wake up call for a team that maybe got a little cocky. 

They looked unprepared & Mitch looked like he was out over his skis. 

I expect them to rally from this. 

Not a bears fan, but they’re a better team than this. Trubisky is a better QB than that. And Nagy should be a better playcaller than that. 

F- for the night. Move on to the next game. At least they’ve got extra time to figure it out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This dude kinda sucks. I can’t believe they passed up Mahomes and Watson for him. He’s also likely gonna see the IR at some point if he doesn’t watch his running style.

When there's blood in the streets buy real estate.

After last night's poor performance (in a nationally televised game) those in start 2QB leagues should be making offers.
Love that real estate quote.

Was thinking the same thing.....if someone is a believer, Mitch's value is about rock bottom right now.

Love that real estate quote.

Was thinking the same thing.....if someone is a believer, Mitch's value is about rock bottom right now.
August 14th in my dynasty league he was traded for Jared Cook and a 3rd and 4th from next years draft. Seemed low to me then.

This dude kinda sucks. I can’t believe they passed up Mahomes and Watson for him. He’s also likely gonna see the IR at some point if he doesn’t watch his running style.
Hate when these comments are made.  Almost every GM in the league would have probably taken him over those two at the time.  Sure, maybe some would have traded back (and certainly not up)... but he was ranked ahead of those 2 qb's by the majority of scouts and analysts.  Mayock was one of the only ones to not have Trubisky as the top QB of the draft, and he had him #2 and still above Mahomes. 

Hate when these comments are made.  Almost every GM in the league would have probably taken him over those two at the time.  Sure, maybe some would have traded back (and certainly not up)... but he was ranked ahead of those 2 qb's by the majority of scouts and analysts.  Mayock was one of the only ones to not have Trubisky as the top QB of the draft, and he had him #2 and still above Mahomes. 
Are you kidding me? Maybe we watched a different draft because I remember people’s jaws being on the floor that this guy went ahead of Watson. 

Are you kidding me? Maybe we watched a different draft because I remember people’s jaws being on the floor that this guy went ahead of Watson. 
I remember it being between Trubisky and Watson.  It varied between who you talked to.  Those were the only two they talked about drafting on Chicago sports radio.  The only time Mahomes got brought up was in a trade down scenario which is what I was in favor of.  I was actually happy with the Trubisky pick, just not the trade up.

I was trying for a few minutes to find the clip (live draft) Recall a word like shock I had a such n' such grade blah blah Personally if it had been any other position? I dunno I think I would give credit to the scouts Such a choice in QB had me feeling like rut-roh That's a mistake...  But again the point was more about taking earlier than expected  Maybe its best the Bear's consider drafting more QB's  I really wish they would consider trading for Nick Mullens  It's still early and its third season  Good things could come ya know  Packers have a solid fast D  I mean ARod didn't look all that much better

Not a bears fan, but they’re a better team than this. Trubisky is a better QB than that. And Nagy should be a better playcaller than that. 
Are they though?  The defense is nails, no question.  But offensively?  Would we say Trubisky is a Top 20 QB?  Behind Robinson at WR (again as far as #1 WR’s go, a bottom, not top half guy)...it’s barren (Gabriel/Miller).  RB?  Obviously a lot of hype on Montgomery at the moment, but I’m not looking at this group like they are or can be the bedrock of a consistent offense.

Are they though?  The defense is nails, no question.  But offensively?  Would we say Trubisky is a Top 20 QB?  Behind Robinson at WR (again as far as #1 WR’s go, a bottom, not top half guy)...it’s barren (Gabriel/Miller).  RB?  Obviously a lot of hype on Montgomery at the moment, but I’m not looking at this group like they are or can be the bedrock of a consistent offense.
Ranking is a bit irrelevant when we’re talking about quality of QB. In context of Trubisky & my comments, whether he’s top 20 or top 10 or whatever doesn’t matter.

first, literally anything would be better than what we saw on Thursday night. 

Secondly, we saw flashes in the 4th quarter of what Trubisky can be if he gets out of his own way. He made good reads & found receivers. When he had single coverage he put the ball in a good location.  While it didn’t count, the pass he made to ARob downfield on the sideline was gorgeous (good push-out by the DB for a smart play to keep 12 from tapping that 2nd foot)

but most importantly, what makes a “good” QB in this context would be not getting out over his skis. A well-called game by a team that knows it’s identify would be a great start to that. 

The Bears came out thinking they were the Chiefs. This is a team that can run the.ball & play defense. That should win you more games than it loses. They came out with a bunch of gimmicky BS & looked terrible for it. And in that system, with Mitch handing the ball pff more than he’s putting it up, the play action & gadget plays can work. And you won’t need gunslinger Mitch to puke all over himself 45x a game. Addition by subtraction. Efficiency over volume. Move the chains. Put points on the board. He cant be Mahomes but he can be better tha Dilfer. And Dilfer has a ring by playing smart, moving the chains, handing the ball off & making the occasional play downfield. 

So to answer your question, yes - they are better than this. If they play their style of football, find their identity & execute better, they can be much better.

they had 2 delay of game penalties on the same drive. At home! That’s inexcusably bad football.

Trubisky was set up to fail in this game. He didn’t do anything to overcome that, no, but he wasn’t given a successful game plan. 

Nagy should wear this loss like a millstone. 

Most people have forgotten since Watson has done so well, but scouts were really down on Watson leading up the draft because of his poor ball velocity score in the combine.  Some said he had a noodle arm, lol.

trader jake said:
When there's blood in the streets buy real estate.

After last night's poor performance (in a nationally televised game) those in start 2QB leagues should be making offers.
Dont try to catch a falling knife. 

I feel bad for Trubisky. He’s got a lot of talent and I believe he’s much better than people will ever give him credit for. 

Games like last night on prime time, with everyone watching, when the offense is hot garbage, just entrench the narrative that Trubisky is terrible, he sucks, Bortles 2.0 (the laziest BS I’ve ever heard)....all the pitchforks were out last night with everyone more than willing to pile on. Evan Silva doing victory lap tweets because he said Trubisky wasn’t good (a stance he adopted probably because everyone else says it). Oh he was chosen before Watson and Mahomes! Aren’t the bears a joke, Pace is a moron etc...

Everyone has decided that Trubisky was bad in his rookie year (maybe before his first game) and nothing will change that now. Nothing. Narratives get entrenched, echo chambers and group think win. Mitch is a bust, when is it Chase Daniel time? For people to even think he is competent he would have to have a Mahomes 2018 season, with a super bowl on top, nothing less. Even then any respect would be grudging, it would probably be viewed as a fluke or he was in a good system or whatever (see Nick Foles). Nah it’s over for Mitch, the media killed him before he ever had a chance.

Has he been great? No, he hasn’t. Has he been pretty good? I’d say most of the time. He’s shown flashes of brilliant talent, he’s made some dumb throws (everyone remembers those). QBs do that. Sam Darnold will throw dumb picks and look awful at times this year but it’s fine, everyone already decided he’s the future. Not Mitch. That’s the way it works. When Darnold hits a receiver in stride it’ll be retweeted to eternity. 

You know who else played a really ordinary QB game last night? Aaron Rodgers. Haven’t heard much about that. He faces the Bears defense though I guess, that must be it. I don’t know, I thought the Packers defense looked pretty elite too. 

Anyway, I hope we see some great Trubisky games this year, I still believe he can be much more than the butt of jokes. Unfortunately I think as long as he’s tied to “offensive genius” Matt Nagy, he’s not going to get a chance to impress anyone.

I don't know why anyone would consider a young QB that rushes for 500+ yards per year and is still developing similar to the statue that is Joe Flacco.  Trubisky only played 14 games last year, and in his first season in a new offensive system he threw for 3223 yards, 24 TDs, 66% completion rate, and he tacked on 421 yards rushing with another 3 tds.  So, 27 total TDs, and if you score passing yards 1pt for every 20 yards, then his rush yards equated to another 842 yards passing, which would have put him at over 4000 passing yards and 27 total TDs.  

Trubisky is one of the better running QBs in the league.  If he stays healthy for 16 games this year would it surprise anyone to see him run for 600+ yards and 4-5 rushing TDs?  If he improves to 4000 yards passing this year and 30+ total TDs plus 600 yards rushing he is easily a top 10 QB maybe higher.  

All reports from the COACHES and PLAYERS at Bear's camp this year are that Trubisky is now light years ahead of where he was at last year, much more comfortable with the offense, reading the defense, and his offensive weapons.  Keep in mind he did not have a long starting career in college, similar to tannehill, except he's a better QB than Tannehill ever was already.  He has some parts of his game that he needs to clean up on like his accuracy issues on deep balls, but overall the kid's got "it".  I think it's crazy to throw the book at him this early in his career and peg him as Flacco'esque. 
If you watched Week 1, you may understand why some of us think Trubisky has a low ceiling. I just don't think he has a great arm or great decision-making.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Ranking is a bit irrelevant when we’re talking about quality of QB. In context of Trubisky & my comments, whether he’s top 20 or top 10 or whatever doesn’t matter.

first, literally anything would be better than what we saw on Thursday night. 

Secondly, we saw flashes in the 4th quarter of what Trubisky can be if he gets out of his own way. He made good reads & found receivers. When he had single coverage he put the ball in a good location.  While it didn’t count, the pass he made to ARob downfield on the sideline was gorgeous (good push-out by the DB for a smart play to keep 12 from tapping that 2nd foot)

but most importantly, what makes a “good” QB in this context would be not getting out over his skis. A well-called game by a team that knows it’s identify would be a great start to that. 

The Bears came out thinking they were the Chiefs. This is a team that can run the.ball & play defense. That should win you more games than it loses. They came out with a bunch of gimmicky BS & looked terrible for it. And in that system, with Mitch handing the ball pff more than he’s putting it up, the play action & gadget plays can work. And you won’t need gunslinger Mitch to puke all over himself 45x a game. Addition by subtraction. Efficiency over volume. Move the chains. Put points on the board. He cant be Mahomes but he can be better tha Dilfer. And Dilfer has a ring by playing smart, moving the chains, handing the ball off & making the occasional play downfield. 

So to answer your question, yes - they are better than this. If they play their style of football, find their identity & execute better, they can be much better.

they had 2 delay of game penalties on the same drive. At home! That’s inexcusably bad football.

Trubisky was set up to fail in this game. He didn’t do anything to overcome that, no, but he wasn’t given a successful game plan. 

Nagy should wear this loss like a millstone. 
I’ve heard whispers of Bortles comparisons.  If those start to gain validity, it’s not possible that the the Bears are the 2019 version of last years Jaguars?

I’ve heard whispers of Bortles comparisons.  If those start to gain validity, it’s not possible that the the Bears are the 2019 version of last years Jaguars?
That’s possible.

i don’t know if the Borrles comps are accurate. Trubisky is a more imposing QB physically. He seems more mobile. 

Hi challenge right now seems to be knowing when to scramble & when to stand tall in the pocket. 

And sometimes it looks like he wants to do one but does the other and it’s comically disastrous.

If they can simplify things for him a bit, runnthe ball to take off some of the pressure, then he might gain the I think he could develop into a quality QB.

Nagy is ruining him right now. 

bumpman said:
Most people have forgotten since Watson has done so well, but scouts were really down on Watson leading up the draft because of his poor ball velocity score in the combine.  Some said he had a noodle arm, lol.
This is definitely true velocity was the big red flag on him at the time

I think there is plenty of blame to go around. 

On the one hand, I think Trubisky's limitations and flaws are obvious, and Nagy is having to adjust his play calling because of it. 

On the other hand, Nagy calls too many "let me show you how smart I am" gadget plays and doesn't seem to care about getting the ball in the hands of his best players far too often. 

I don't know why anyone would consider a young QB that rushes for 500+ yards per year and is still developing similar to the statue that is Joe Flacco.
Guy rushes for 421 yards in one out of his two seasons and you're already penciling him in for 500+ every year. :lol:

If you watched Week 1, you may understand why some of us think Trubisky has a low ceiling. I just don't think he has a great arm or great decision-making.
I can understand the decision making comment but to say he doesn’t have a great arm is just false. The problem is that Nagy shrinks the field because he doesn’t dial up anything but pass plays of 15 yards or less to the sidelines. 

That’s possible.

i don’t know if the Borrles comps are accurate. Trubisky is a more imposing QB physically. He seems more mobile. 

Hi challenge right now seems to be knowing when to scramble & when to stand tall in the pocket. 

And sometimes it looks like he wants to do one but does the other and it’s comically disastrous.

If they can simplify things for him a bit, runnthe ball to take off some of the pressure, then he might gain the I think he could develop into a quality QB.

He’s miles better than Bortles. The Bortles comp is just a lazy take that a few people have repeated after one guy said it once etc...it’s all echo chamber BS.  It’s also fun for people to laugh about A-Rob having to play with Bortles and now “Bortles 2.0”! They are nothing like each other. 

He’s miles better than Bortles. The Bortles comp is just a lazy take that a few people have repeated after one guy said it once etc...it’s all echo chamber BS.  It’s also fun for people to laugh about A-Rob having to play with Bortles and now “Bortles 2.0”! They are nothing like each other. 
Yeah, I don’t see it at all. 

You know how in college, pre-Netflix, you’d be sitting around the frat house drinking beer, 57 channels and nothing on, and you’d stop on TBS to watch the Patrick Swayze marathon? After the  8th or 9th time seeing Point Break or Roadhouse, you’d have a drunken stupor epiphany. “You know what? This movie....it’s not that good.”

That’s where Bears fans are with Mitch Trubisky right now.

Trubisky's arm is fine.  But he has major flaws in his game that were on display last night:

(1) He didn't see the field.  He stares down his first option and doesn't scan the field, so he misses lots of reads.

(2) He drops his eyes when he starts to move in the pocket, which makes the play pretty much dead if he can't find his first option in rhythm.

(3) His accuracy is questionable.  Even with time his throws can miss wildly, usually way over the head of his receivers.

It seems like Nagy is trying to make him more of a pocket passer with well-defined reads, but that takes away his biggest threat, his legs.  I don't buy that GB has  a strong defense this year.  I just think they have played the Bears enough to have figured out Trubisky's limitations.  Trubisky will have better games this season, but I don't think he is ever going to solve problem # 1.

• Thanks
Reactions: -X-
Hawkeye21 said:
I remember it being between Trubisky and Watson.  It varied between who you talked to.  Those were the only two they talked about drafting on Chicago sports radio.  The only time Mahomes got brought up was in a trade down scenario which is what I was in favor of.  I was actually happy with the Trubisky pick, just not the trade up.
It wasn't torn at all.  Trubisky was the consensus top QB heading into the draft.  Like others said, Watson had big red flags and was being projected in the 20's, where as Mitch never made it out of the top 5 in any mocks.  The only analyst ranking that had Watson above Mitch was Mayock's but come draft day he had swapped them by a large margin.  Bears made the right choice at the time, but clearly in hindsight it was the wrong one.  Can't fault them too much for that, it happens.

Forget his name, but one of the GB DB's said they wanted to make Mitch "play quarterback". So basically to think, and make plays.  That says a lot.  At least about what the Green Bay coaches think of him.

It was Williams.  And while he backtracked a bit, which I don't buy for a minute, the fact is their gameplan revolved around knowing Mitch couldn't beat them.  At home.

Deer in the headlights look multiple times in week 1. He made some terrible throws and a few good ones. I am not a Bears fan but it was frustrating to watch him play. 

Eh look, Trubistsky is not a hill I’m willing to die on. I have exactly one share of him in a 2 QB league out of the 9 leagues I’m in. I’m not a Bears fan (I somewhat dislike them actually). I just use my eyes. I’ve been watching football like many of you on here, for a really long time. I’ve seen the guy play probably a half a dozen or maybe a little more times. Nothing about him jumps out to make me think he’ll be a good or even competent QB. He’s athletic—I’ll give him that. Maybe his coach is hampering him. Who knows? Wasn’t he a guy with limited college experience? Guys on here keep hammering he was the CONSENSUS number one QB. I just don’t remember  that. I remember gasps when he was taken. Maybe that was all about going number 2 overall?

If it wasn’t for Allen Robinson playing lights out especially on the back shoulder grab that he completely bailed Trubitski out on—he’d been even worse Thursday night.

Bottom line, I don’t really care. I’m not that invested. I just think my eyes tell that this dude kinds sucks. That’s all folks...

I don’t put all the blame on Mitch here, his coach isn’t helping him at all.

1. Montgomery was clearly the best runner in the backfield in my opinion. If you told me a back would lead his team in carries and get 6 rec I’d think “fire him up for dfs.” Mike Davis is a capable backup but Monty was visibly more explosive and harder to tackle even if the numbers don’t look all that different, and if he got 6 rec he probably goes for more than 17 yds.

2. Threw 45 times, rbs had 11 carries. Nuff said. 

3. Longest completion was 27 yds...to Montgomery out of the backfield (or did he line up wide on that?) 

I did notice at least once that Montgomery and Cohen were on the field at the same time with Cohen in the slot. 

Ugh- 26 completions, 15 to the rbs. Check ya later!

That’s possible.

i don’t know if the Borrles comps are accurate. Trubisky is a more imposing QB physically. He seems more mobile
Bortles is 6’5” 235 pounds and Mitch is 6’3” and 222 pounds. They’re both pretty mobile and put up good rushing stats. They’re both terribly inaccurate and make poor decisions.

Call me lazy, but frankly, I think the comparisons are pretty spot on. If Trubisky doesn’t turn things around quickly he’ll follow Bortles path of career backup as well.

Hawkeye21 said:
It wasn't torn at all.  Trubisky was the consensus top QB heading into the draft.  Like others said, Watson had big red flags and was being projected in the 20's, where as Mitch never made it out of the top 5 in any mocks.  The only analyst ranking that had Watson above Mitch was Mayock's but come draft day he had swapped them by a large margin.  Bears made the right choice at the time, but clearly in hindsight it was the wrong one.  Can't fault them too much for that, it happens.
Mock draft analysis

Almost everyone had Trubiski as the top QB prospect, but only 12 of 104 mocks thought Trubiski would go at #1 or #2.

97 of 104 mocks predicted that the Bears would pick a defensive player.

Only 3 mocks predicted that the Bears would pick Trubiski, and only 4 predicted that the Bears would pick Watson.

Mock draft analysis

Almost everyone had Trubiski as the top QB prospect, but only 12 of 104 mocks thought Trubiski would go at #1 or #2.

97 of 104 mocks predicted that the Bears would pick a defensive player.

Only 3 mocks predicted that the Bears would pick Trubiski, and only 4 predicted that the Bears would pick Watson.

Yep, correct.  No one predicted the trade up of one spot but he was the top qb. Can't fault a team for taking him over Watson and mahomes at the time is what I was saying. 

Trubisky's arm is fine.  But he has major flaws in his game that were on display last night:

(1) He didn't see the field.  He stares down his first option and doesn't scan the field, so he misses lots of reads.

(2) He drops his eyes when he starts to move in the pocket, which makes the play pretty much dead if he can't find his first option in rhythm.

(3) His accuracy is questionable.  Even with time his throws can miss wildly, usually way over the head of his receivers.

It seems like Nagy is trying to make him more of a pocket passer with well-defined reads, but that takes away his biggest threat, his legs.  I don't buy that GB has  a strong defense this year.  I just think they have played the Bears enough to have figured out Trubisky's limitations.  Trubisky will have better games this season, but I don't think he is ever going to solve problem # 1.
Agreed. Trubisky definitely has issues with vision as you point out in #1. Collinsworth pointed that out multiple times on replays during the Bears game when he missed an open A-Rob in particular.

As for #3, Brett Kollmann has a really good video analysis of how Trubisky's accuracy issues are tied to his footwork, with some good side-by-side comparisons to Peyton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-d9SGrAdLg

Just to clarify: by 'great arm' I meant accuracy--not strength. He continues to miss guys far too often.

(1)He didn't see the field.  He stares down his first option and doesn't scan the field, so he misses lots of reads.
I think theres a worse problem- he doesnt see his receivers when he IS looking for them. Watching tape, even when he makes some time and is looking down field, hes missing guys literally waving their arms at him. 

Maybe im wrong, but some guys have brains wired to recognize whats happening on a football field at full speed with all its moving parts, and some dont. Its a spacial reasoning thing i think. 

My take on Trubisky until proven otherwise is he is not equipped to recognize where the ball needs to go if his first option doesn't pan out because he is not sure where his receivers are once a defense is involved. 

He looked disgustingly horrible. I own him in both my dynasty leagues (holding) and drafted him as my qb2 in my redraft (drooped his ### for Waller on Friday).  

I don’t think he will be that bad all year however I found his seeming lack of development very concerning Thursday night.  It could be that he didn’t play in preseason and was rusty or had opening night jitters.  But it was concerning. 

I think (hope?) this will be the worst game he plays this season.  Jury’s out

Montgomery > Howard
Why does that mean that Trubisky can’t rush for 500 yards?  Having a good rb is great, but you can have both.  In fact a Mobile qb who takes off and can pass stresses the defense and opens rushing lanes for the RBs look at what his Edwards did late last year with a very mobile Lamar Jackson.  

Users who are viewing this thread