Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Embarrassment to the human race

On 1/31/2021 at 8:19 PM, ffmail4me said:

So Kmet...could he be a TE1 next year assuming Graham is cut? What says you Bears homers? 

He has the measurables to be a TE1 in 2021. I think the game was still to fast for him until the very last part of the season where he started looking really good. The lack of a real training camp really stunted him, IMO. 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My take: 1) Coaching hires are like draft picks, unless you arent totally off the reservation, there is no way to tell if it was a good pick until a least a couple years in. Nagy is on everybodys

That is an astonishingly good trade for the Bears. 

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 14m Former Jaguars’ WR Allen Robinson intends to sign with the Chicago Bears barring any last-minute snags when free agency opens Wednesday, source tells ESPN.

Wentz?  Really?  Giving any draft capital for that dude is a waste. I still don't understand why we aren't reaching out to Jameis. Assuming he wants to be a starter, we could sign him for less than any other vet QB, keep all.of our current and future draft capital to focus on surrounding him with talent, and resign key players.   Too practical for Pace/Nagy, though. 

I'd give a 3rd for Wentz and then draft Mac Jones. Absolute most I would give up for Wentz. I hate that this guy is such a moron. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

I'd give a 3rd for Wentz and then draft Mac Jones. Absolute most I would give up for Wentz. I hate that this guy is such a moron. 

I don't see how the Eagles really believe anyone will give up a 1st for him. 

1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

I don't see how the Eagles really believe anyone will give up a 1st for him. 

I would consider a second but, until the o line is fixed, getting Wentz would be a waste. I you can give him a clean pocket, Wentz will thrive (looking at you Indy). Wentz in Chicago behind that line, well, you might as well just keep Mitch.

2 hours ago, Deranged Hermit said:

I would consider a second but, until the o line is fixed, getting Wentz would be a waste. I you can give him a clean pocket, Wentz will thrive (looking at you Indy). Wentz in Chicago behind that line, well, you might as well just keep Mitch.

Bears OL played much better over the second half of the season. Mitch was the entire problem, along with the defense. Still need to improve the OL some but it's not a total overhaul. Mustipher can stay at center with Whitehair at guard and Daniels coming back at guard. Need a RT this year and a LT eventually. If they get Wentz for a 3rd and then draft Mac Jones, then I'm fine with it. Any more and it's just Pace bidding against himself again like an idiot. Of course, I expect Pace to make a fool of himself again. 

7 hours ago, flapgreen said:

It's gonna be a first and a player

It's disheartening for a franchise to give up draft picks (and possibly a player) for an OVERPRICED bust of a QB. Say what you want but the price to pay is for the team to assume a draft hit against the cap. Wentz would cost the Eagles a cap hit far north of what Goff cost LA. I agree that I'd like to see the Bears go after Winston who is probably far more prepared after a year of seasoning from Peyton and Brees. The price would not include picks but you would have to probably pay 3 or 4 years.

Pace has done nothing but prove to everyone that he has zero idea about what a franchise QB looks like. His arrogance cost the franchise a chance at Watson back during his draft and now he's going to throw away our future. 

• Like 1

What are the Bears other options? Watson and Carr will cost too much in draft capital. Winston will stay in NO after Brees retires. Garrapolo? Cousins? Meh. And it'll cost as much as Wentz.

Wentz was an MVP candidate at one time. We're too low in the draft to pick someone up at 20 that can help us win now. We need a veteran starter for this year. The question is what price do we pay? I'm ok with Wentz, but maybe it'll cost us a first this year, a second next year, and Foles back to Philly. I think I'd be ok with that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 3nOut said:

What are the Bears other options? Watson and Carr will cost too much in draft capital. Winston will stay in NO after Brees retires. Garrapolo? Cousins? Meh. And it'll cost as much as Wentz.

Wentz was an MVP candidate at one time. We're too low in the draft to pick someone up at 20 that can help us win now. We need a veteran starter for this year. The question is what price do we pay? I'm ok with Wentz, but maybe it'll cost us a first this year, a second next year, and Foles back to Philly. I think I'd be ok with that.

Cousins is by far the best of those options.  He's not an option though. 

10 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Bears OL played much better over the second half of the season. Mitch was the entire problem, along with the defense. Still need to improve the OL some but it's not a total overhaul. Mustipher can stay at center with Whitehair at guard and Daniels coming back at guard. Need a RT this year and a LT eventually. If they get Wentz for a 3rd and then draft Mac Jones, then I'm fine with it. Any more and it's just Pace bidding against himself again like an idiot. Of course, I expect Pace to make a fool of himself again. 

If the bears trade any draft pick for a qb, I think their first pick in the draft needs to go to an OT. One of those tackles can't be starting again next year.

20 minutes ago, The Tick said:

If the bears trade any draft pick for a qb, I think their first pick in the draft needs to go to an OT. One of those tackles can't be starting again next year.

I wouldn't complain either way, but passing on Mac at 20 would be a mistake. I think they could grab an OT on the 2nd. I expect Pace to screw it up anyway. 

Edited by flapgreen

I'd like it if they got Ryan Fitzpatrick + Mac Jones.

Also out there: Gardner Minshew, Jameis Winston, Taylor Heinicke, Sam Darnold.

With $40M guaranteed, it's borderline if Wentz is even worth the contract (before even including what we're trading for him).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Deranged Hermit said:

Especially since the other pick is rumored to be Philly's 2nd rounder.

havent seen that....would make much more sense.....looking at the cap room on chi they would really have to maneuver to get him under the cap..Dont see how they could bring in Wentz contract and pay A-Rob

2 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

havent seen that....would make much more sense.....looking at the cap room on chi they would really have to maneuver to get him under the cap..Dont see how they could bring in Wentz contract and pay A-Rob

I also read somewhere that Wentz might be willing to redo his contract just to get out of Philly. And the Bears might tag Robinson.

5 minutes ago, 3nOut said:

I also read somewhere that Wentz might be willing to redo his contract just to get out of Philly. And the Bears might tag Robinson.

It would certainly be in his best interest to have them keep Robinson. Without him, he'd be dealing with worse WR than he has in Philadelphia. 

1 hour ago, FairWarning said:

I want no part of Mac Jones.  He was surrounded by NFL talent at Bama, do we know how good he is?  

Burrow wasn't? Didn't seem to be a top of discussion with him. 

1 minute ago, flapgreen said:

Burrow wasn't? Didn't seem to be a top of discussion with him. 

True, but I'm just leery of QB's from elite colleges.  It's not like the Bears have a strong history of developing QB's.  

2 hours ago, FairWarning said:

True, but I'm just leery of QB's from elite colleges.  It's not like the Bears have a strong history of developing QB's.  

Very valid points. Same

So what if all this QB movement doesn’t happen like expected? What’s the worst case scenario for the Bears?

1. Colts trade for Wentz

2. Jets trade down in the draft and keep Darnold 

3. Carr doesn’t get moved

4. Brees retires and Winston starts for NO

5. Cousins stays in Minny 

6. Top 5 QBs in the draft get taken by the time the Bears pick at 20

7. Trubisky signs elsewhere as a backup

8. Watson gets traded to Miami in a package deal including Tua.

Not much left after that. Bears start who then? Who could they trade for and what would be the cost for a desperate QB starved team at that point?

57 minutes ago, 3nOut said:

So what if all this QB movement doesn’t happen like expected? What’s the worst case scenario for the Bears?

1. Colts trade for Wentz

Not much left after that. Bears start who then? Who could they trade for and what would be the cost for a desperate QB starved team at that point?

That's the most unlikely scenario of them all. I like that Pace is actually not giving into whatever Philly is asking like I thought he would. I hope he sticks to his guns. Philly is losing leverage and it's obvious that he's gone. I wouldn't give over 2 2s for him. 

Edited by flapgreen
35 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

That's the most unlikely scenario of them all. I like that Pace is actually not giving into whatever Philly is asking like I thought he would. I hope he sticks to his guns. Philly is losing leverage and it's obvious that he's gone. I wouldn't give over 2 2s for him. 

Where did you read Pace is not giving in? I hope you’re right though.

Worst case scenario is 2 firsts for Carson Wentz.

This 8 point scenario still leaves Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gardner Minshew, Taylor Heinicke, Marcus Mariota, and Jacoby Brissett. Maybe some others become available from the teams that take a top 5 QB.

Also could get Trask or Newman later in the draft.

Nick Foles is the obvious fallback starter.

6 hours ago, 3nOut said:

1. Colts trade for Wentz

I feel like the bears were lucky to be 8-8 this year, and that they’re a lot further from being a dangerous team than their 8-8 playoff bound record indicates. Their cap situation isn’t great, Robinson will be hard to retain (imo), oline needs help, no real we depth after Robinson. 

Edited by Snorkelson
Originally meant to quote and talk about qbs, no real reason to quote you here now that I look
8 hours ago, ZWK said:

Worst case scenario is 2 firsts for Carson Wentz.

This 8 point scenario still leaves Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gardner Minshew, Taylor Heinicke, Marcus Mariota, and Jacoby Brissett. Maybe some others become available from the teams that take a top 5 QB.

Also could get Trask or Newman later in the draft.

Nick Foles is the obvious fallback starter.

Didn't realize Brissett was a UFA as he's not getting the buzz of some other QBs around the league.  He's essentially had a season to mentor under Rivers and threw for something close to 3000 yards and 20Tds in 2019.  Given the OPs "worst case scenario", signing him to <$15mil per over a 2-3 year contract and then drafting Trask in the second is sounding pretty attractive right now.

18 hours ago, 3nOut said:

Where did you read Pace is not giving in? I hope you’re right though.

Just reading the situation and the stuff leaking out. Pace is obviously not offering what the Eagles are wanting and it looks like Roseman is overplaying his hand. Leaked today that Pace has not offered a 1st rounder yet. I hope this continues. 

16 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Just reading the situation and the stuff leaking out. Pace is obviously not offering what the Eagles are wanting and it looks like Roseman is overplaying his hand. Leaked today that Pace has not offered a 1st rounder yet. I hope this continues. 

I would definitely take Wentz for two seconds and Foles. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 3nOut said:

I would definitely take Wentz for two seconds and Foles. :)

I could deal with that. Don't want to give up 20 this year or a potential top 10 pick next year if things end up a disaster. 

2 hours ago, flapgreen said:

I'm glad that Roseman is a bigger idiot than Pace. 

Not sure about bigger.   But both suck for sure

Rarely do I ever agree with Irvin, but he's right here. 

Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin said on 670 The Score Mully and Haugh Show that he believes Carson Wentz would struggle to play in Chicago if the Bears were to trade for him because Chicago is not an easy place to play. 

Irvin: "You got to try to get Watson."

9 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin said on 670 The Score Mully and Haugh Show that he believes Carson Wentz would struggle to play in Chicago if the Bears were to trade for him because Chicago is not an easy place to play. 

I don't think he'd struggle because it's a hard place to play. Chicago has a lot of the same issues he struggled to play under this last year in Philly. A flailing coach with a stagnant offense that lacks weapons and has a really pourous oline. He wouldn't do much better there especially having to learn a new playbook.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, flapgreen said:

So you agree with going for Watson and giving up a bunch load of picks over the next few years to do so?

8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:
On 2/6/2021 at 11:13 AM, ZWK said:

Taylor Heinicke,

I thought he re-signed with WFT.

He did, a few days after my post.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mbuehner said:

Jim Rome reporting Wentz wants no part of Chicago. Lol. Wentz.

Another reason keeping Pace and Nagy hurts this franchise, they are a laughing stock.

That's what I don't get. Everyone says Pace is dumb for trying to get Wentz, saying he's terrible, but it's very smart for the colts to do the same. 

I was OK with the Bears going for Wentz. That said, I'm also OK with the Bears moving on. The question is, what is plan B?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 3nOut said:

That's what I don't get. Everyone says Pace is dumb for trying to get Wentz, saying he's terrible, but it's very smart for the colts to do the same. 

I was OK with the Bears going for Wentz. That said, I'm also OK with the Bears moving on. The question is, what is plan B?

The move for the future is to pick up a journeyman (Fitzmagic, Winston, etc) from free agency and picking a rookie (Trask?) with our second. That leaves plenty remaining draft capital to upgrade positions of need. Its not what Pace/Nagy will do, because they are in a win now situation. 

What they will probably do is trade two firsts for Carr and do they best they can filling positions of need in the later rounds of the draft. Pace has shown he can find gems in later rounds so maybe it works for him?  

1 minute ago, 3nOut said:

So what’s plan B? Fitz? I think Watson and Carr would cost too much.

not saying it's going to be good, but I think they are still on plan A, draft a first round tackle and start Nick Foles.  I don't think we can spare the cap space or draft picks to really do much else.

8 hours ago, The Tick said:

not saying it's going to be good, but I think they are still on plan A, draft a first round tackle and start Nick Foles.  I don't think we can spare the cap space or draft picks to really do much else.

Thats the move, and Pace and Nagy hand picked Foles, they ought to have to choke on him.

If Wentz thought he was too good to come to Chicago, its a joke to think Carr let alone Watson would agree to a trade here. The franchise has become a leaguewide joke. Thats what happens when theres no leadership from ownership and the lunatics get the keys to the asylum. Why would any QB want to come here when the GM would trade away all the picks that could build a team around you, both tackles suck, and your only weapon at receiver isnt signed? Huge chance everyone gets fired next year and some desperate GM/coach combo is brought in to revamp everything. 

Edited by mbuehner
  • flapgreen changed the title to ***Chicago Bears Thread*** Embarrassment to the human race