What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (13 Viewers)

The Bears would look very incompetent if they let Jeffery go and signed Glennon.  Jeffery is looking for around $14M to $15M and it's not looking like he's going to get anything on the high end of that.  Glennon is also looking for $15M.  Cutler will be getting $12.5 if they keep him.  Hoyer could be ket for $8M to $9M.  How in the world does it make sense to sign Glennon?

I already have violent diarrhea just hearing about it. But it's the Bears, so I'm not surprised. After Phillips kept his job after hiring Emery, there was no doubting things will never change. 

I would rather see the Bears keep Cutler than sign Glennon. If the Bears sign Glennon Pace is done, and Fox will be gone. Paying Glennon $14 or $15 million a year is crazy. I'd rather they take a chance on a rookie. They would be flushing another three years down the toilet. I'd rather sign Tyrod Taylor than Mike Glennon. But, as it has been said, it is the Bears. 

Makes me laugh how many though Cutler's contract was outrageous and now it's looking like a much better deal as guys like Glennon are asking for $15M.  Are people having second thoughts on signing Jeffery now?  Sign Jeffery now for $14M to $15M and in two years it will look like nothing.

I can't tell you how much signing Mike Glennon for $15m a year will disgust me. 
How can you justify that move to the fan base? Makes ZERO sense. You are literally better off doing anything else besides signing Mike Glennon at that price. You are better of doing nothing than signing Glennon to 15 per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expected to pursue Cordarrelle Patterson. 
As much of a let down he's been I really wouldn't mind him on the Bears.  He's a fantastic return man which the Bears haven't had since Hester.  He's also a better WR than Hester.  Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

As much of a let down he's been I really wouldn't mind him on the Bears.  He's a fantastic return man which the Bears haven't had since Hester.  He's also a better WR than Hester.  Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.
Agree I wouldn't mind it. He's a weapon and would probably be better off with a creative offensive play caller (not that we have that).

This would be much better.  I could understand a signing like this.

More

A positive spin on Glennon- With his market diminishing, #Bears may be able to land him closer to the $8M per year reportedly offered by TB.

10:55 AM - 7 Mar 2017

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
This would be much better.  I could understand a signing like this.

More

A positive spin on Glennon- With his market diminishing, #Bears may be able to land him closer to the $8M per year reportedly offered by TB.

10:55 AM - 7 Mar 2017
Makes it much more tolerable. 

Patterson showed some significant improvement last season.as a route runner. He still has a lot of room for improvement as a receiver, but I think he will continue to get a bit better as he ages.

Obviously great player on special teams although he did let a kicker force a fumble on him one time. He can make some real head scratchier mistakes at times.

He is a really nice person but perhaps not the smartest bulb on the tree.

Bears apparently interested in every player in the entire league. Most of this stuff is nonsense. 

Source confirms that the #Bears "are showing strong interest" in CB Stephon Gilmore. I'm told he wants to sign early.

John Clayton: 'Don't be surprised if Alshon Jeffery stays in Chicago'
Resigning Jeffrey would be stupid too. The soft tissue injury issues, along with the suspension, are huge red flags. Let someone else commit $14 or $15 million a year in a long term deal. 

Resigning Jeffrey would be stupid too. The soft tissue injury issues, along with the suspension, are huge red flags. Let someone else commit $14 or $15 million a year in a long term deal. 
I would think the suspension risk could be mitigated with language that voids guarantees if Alshon is suspended again.  Doug Martin seems to have had such in his contract, and I recall it being done in the past.

The soft tissue injuries on the other hand...more troubling.

flapgreen said:
If we pay Glennon that and still draft a qb at 3, then I'm cool with it. 
This is where I am at.  Don't overpay for him, and let's go all in on D Watson at #3.  Let Glennon start and let's give him a spin.  Then we can groom Watson for Glennon's inevitable demise as the mediocre talent that he is and has proven to be.  Is Hoyer going to be ready for the start of the season?  I was assuming he would not be ready, which is why I wouldn't mind Glennon in town as an experienced stop gap.  Paying him like Osweiler would make me puke in my mouth though.  If Hoyer will be good to go by training camp then why bring in Glennon who is at best, just as good as Hoyer.

Still disagree with that.  Regardless of who's at QB he's going to need a threat at WR.  There would be nothing wrong with getting Jeffery for $14M.

Still disagree with that.  Regardless of who's at QB he's going to need a threat at WR.  There would be nothing wrong with getting Jeffery for $14M.
Nothing wrong with it at all.  Except for paying that much for a guy who 1) doesn't play consistently, or 2) can't figure out what supplements he is taking and if they are legal or not.  Seems like the headaches outweigh the positives to me.  Let him walk, I say.  Let him go die on the Rams for $14 per year.  I'd rather have Pryor, Garcon, Stills, or Kendall Wright.

Nothing wrong with it at all.  Except for paying that much for a guy who 1) doesn't play consistently, or 2) can't figure out what supplements he is taking and if they are legal or not.  Seems like the headaches outweigh the positives to me.  Let him walk, I say.  Let him go die on the Rams for $14 per year.  I'd rather have Pryor, Garcon, Stills, or Kendall Wright.
I'd rather see them sign Kenny Britt. He has kind of flown under the radar. He'd be cheaper, and he'd give them a veteran presence across from White.

I'd rather see them sign Kenny Britt. He has kind of flown under the radar. He'd be cheaper, and he'd give them a veteran presence across from White.
I'm in the camp of believe White will never amount to anything at the pro level.  Full fledged BUST.  I hope I am wrong.

Garcon just signed with the Niners.  I like Pryor and Stills.  Wright isn't too bad.  I'd still rather have Jeffery.

Rumors are 3yrs 15mil per for Glennon. If that actually the case, it's more of the same for this organization and Pace is no different than anyone else. Lions appeared to have locked up Wagner, so there's the best RT gone. More years of failure and embarrassment again, guys. So pretty much same as day 1

Rumors are 3yrs 15mil per for Glennon. If that actually the case, it's more of the same for this organization and Pace is no different than anyone else. Lions appeared to have locked up Wagner, so there's the best RT gone. More years of failure and embarrassment again, guys. So pretty much same as day 1
Stop, take a breath and wait to see what the guaranteed money is. For christ's sake, its like you're new at this.

I'll play devils advocate and say- the Bears have got money to spend, have to spend it, and have to have a viable starting QB that isnt going to completely melt the offense down. In this day and age of the league, every QB is overpriced, there isnt some great answer lurking out there that the Bears are missing on.

So they have to do this through the draft, and in the meantime they need someone at least basically competent to run the offense or else nobody else on will be able to improve or progress or even be evaluated. Throwing a project rookie from the mid to late rounds out there prevents you from evaluating White and Howard, and even throws the defense and ST into question since theyre on the field too much. Thats a viscious cycle.

IE- IF Pace finds a QB through the draft in the next couple years, and gets him into the huddle at the appropriate time in his development, nobody is going to remember or care that they shifted Cutlers salary to some guy named Glennon. If he doesnt, well he'll have failed as a GM no matter what Glennon does or doesnt do or what they paid him.

Pretty appalling that they're going to sign this guy to start and make him about the 23rd highest paid QB in the league

:mellow:

Pretty appalling that they're going to sign this guy to start and make him about the 23rd highest paid QB in the league

:mellow:
To me that's not the major issue.  I look at him not being much of an improvement over Cutler but they are going to release Culter even though he's cheaper and not guaranteed any money.  If they choose not to sign Jeffery because of money but give Glennon that money that irks me as well.  The guy was offered $8M to be a back up, he's not worth much more than that.

Why 15 per?  Are we bidding against anyone else?  Tampa offered 8 to not play. Can't we offer 10 to play and be done with it?

Why 15 per?  Are we bidding against anyone else?  Tampa offered 8 to not play. Can't we offer 10 to play and be done with it?
Not sure why but reports say they are signing him to a 3 year deal, $15M per.

Hoyer is signing a 2 year deal with the Niners.

To me that's not the major issue.  I look at him not being much of an improvement over Cutler but they are going to release Culter even though he's cheaper and not guaranteed any money.  If they choose not to sign Jeffery because of money but give Glennon that money that irks me as well.  The guy was offered $8M to be a back up, he's not worth much more than that.
Here is the problem, Glennon isn't an improvement over Cutler. He is a significant downgrade. I would have preferred Hoyer if all you want is a bridge guy. I'd prefer Romo as the bridge guy. You aren't helping your team with this signing.

Here is the problem, Glennon isn't an improvement over Cutler. He is a significant downgrade. I would have preferred Hoyer if all you want is a bridge guy. I'd prefer Romo as the bridge guy. You aren't helping your team with this signing.
Glennon has one thing that Cutler and Hoyer don't have and that's youth.  Youth means he offers a certain amount of upside and apparently that's what they are paying more for.  This is the defense I have heard on the radio, not how I actually feel.

The problem is they're paying starter qb money to a qb who's not a legitimate starters. Doesn't matter where he falls in the starting qb pay spectrum. 

Glennon is an upgrade over Cutler. He, unlike Cutler, doesn't have the stink of failure on him yet. Instead, Glennon got hijacked by Winston and there's no shame in the Bucs deciding that. At the end of the day, if Glennon does cost as much as Cutler - $15 million - at least there is the *potential* of something good happening. There was no good in keeping Cutler around as the franchise whipping boy. I don't fault the Bears entirely for having to shell out that kind of money for Glennon because it's a reflection of the market. They'll add to the position via the draft but won't feel compelled to act out of desperation.

Mike Glennon, huh??? Didn't know we were going to start tanking before the season even started.  What a joke of an organization from top to bottom.  

saintfool said:
Glennon is an upgrade over Cutler. He, unlike Cutler, doesn't have the stink of failure on him yet. Instead, Glennon got hijacked by Winston and there's no shame in the Bucs deciding that. At the end of the day, if Glennon does cost as much as Cutler - $15 million - at least there is the *potential* of something good happening. There was no good in keeping Cutler around as the franchise whipping boy. I don't fault the Bears entirely for having to shell out that kind of money for Glennon because it's a reflection of the market. They'll add to the position via the draft but won't feel compelled to act out of desperation.
What about Glennon says he's an upgrade over Cutler, besides your opinion? Cutler's time was up. Has nothing to do with paying a guy like Glennon huge money. One does not justify the other. 5-13 as a starter. Here, let's pay you huge money.  Typical Bears failure.

flapgreen said:
The problem is they're paying starter qb money to a qb who's not a legitimate starters. Doesn't matter where he falls in the starting qb pay spectrum. 
Not to defend Glennon too much but a lot of starting QBs are not good enough to really be considered a good starting QB.  If the Bears are signing him it's to be their starter right away and they're going to have to pay him that kind of money, so I get it.  Compared to what all the other starting QBs in the league are making I'd say it's a pretty fair deal.

I still don't think Glennon is better than Cutler though.

What about Glennon says he's an upgrade over Cutler, besides your opinion? Cutler's time was up. Has nothing to do with paying a guy like Glennon huge money. One does not justify the other. 5-13 as a starter. Here, let's pay you huge money.  Typical Bears failure.
$15 million isn't "huge money" for the position anymore. It's what you pay for a low-end starter in 2017. You weren't going to get established starters like Taylor or Cousins. No one will touch Kapernick right now. Garrapolo hype is nothing but a combination of desperation and wishful thinking. This is may be the best of a bad set of options, quite frankly. I'd be curious to see how the deal is structured because I think they're still going to draft someone. They're going to let Glennon serve as the bridge with the potential for actually competing within the division, as opposed to signing Hoyer or keeping Barkley.

Users who are viewing this thread