What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (17 Viewers)

thats a lot of HIGH draft picks and a bunch of cash for one guy.hope it works for Chicago. they're going to win what, 4-5 games this season? does Mack make them a 10-win team? heck no. 

I think Oakland fleeced the Bears..two firsts, a 6th and what else?! 

wow..

doesn't mean the Bears get out of the NFC North basement, doesn't mean they win more than they won last season. they still have an inexperienced QB and not much else around him.they need those high draft picks to build the roster. and Nagy looks pathetic as a HC.

for Oakland, this gives them a guaranteed top 5 pick for this trade, and possibly a second top 5 pick for their own ineptitude, as they wont win more than 4 games themselves. Bears have won 19 games the last 4 seasons or something like that.they're not suddenly going to become a 10+ win team just because of Mack.they'll win about 4-5 games in 2018, locking in a top 5 pick for the Raiders.in 2019, they'll finish with maybe 6-7 wins.

last I checked, BEars still play the best QB in the league 2x/yr and one of the best defenses in the league 2x/yr - the Vikings.good luck with that!

those saluting the front office today are the same ones who'll be calling for Nagy's head at season's end..but who hired Nagy in the first place?! the front office!!

Daaaaaa Bears..

Forgive me for being ignorant, but is Mack only an outside linebacker?  Any chance he plays inside?

He'll have to get a new number in Chicago.

Rookie Smith just lost his chance to be the next great thing in Chicago.  Hopefully the two of them can be like Urlacher-Briggs.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but is Mack only an outside linebacker?  Any chance he plays inside?

He'll have to get a new number in Chicago.

Rookie Smith just lost his chance to be the next great thing in Chicago.  Hopefully the two of them can be like Urlacher-Briggs.
He'll play all over the line. 

Gonna have to do some maneuvering but can still extend Goldman this year. Obviously, things are now a lot tighter. 

thats a lot of HIGH draft picks and a bunch of cash for one guy.hope it works for Chicago. they're going to win what, 4-5 games this season? does Mack make them a 10-win team? heck no. 

wow..

doesn't mean the Bears get out of the NFC North basement, doesn't mean they win more than they won last season. they still have an inexperienced QB and not much else around him.they need those high draft picks to build the roster. and Nagy looks pathetic as a HC.

for Oakland, this gives them a guaranteed top 5 pick for this trade, and possibly a second top 5 pick for their own ineptitude, as they wont win more than 4 games themselves. Bears have won 19 games the last 4 seasons or something like that.they're not suddenly going to become a 10+ win team just because of Mack.they'll win about 4-5 games in 2018, locking in a top 5 pick for the Raiders.in 2019, they'll finish with maybe 6-7 wins.

last I checked, BEars still play the best QB in the league 2x/yr and one of the best defenses in the league 2x/yr - the Vikings.good luck with that!

those saluting the front office today are the same ones who'll be calling for Nagy's head at season's end..but who hired Nagy in the first place?! the front office!!

Daaaaaa Bears..
They won 5 last year. They were going to win more this year without Mack. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them 9-7 this year.

Oakland can have all they fun they want trying to find another Khalil Mack with those 2 first round draft picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to quote the troll, but that guy hasn’t been paying attention to everything else this team has done since Fox was jettisoned.

Don’t feed the trolls.

:hophead:

Not going to quote the troll, but that guy hasn’t been paying attention to everything else this team has done since Fox was jettisoned.

Don’t feed the trolls.

:hophead:
Tanner9919 is a Jets fan like me, I think. He's not a troll, he just gets a little loopy at times. 

wow..

Daaaaaa Bears..
Go home Tanner your drunk!

Yeah, I'm not sure you've been paying attention to who the Bears have brought in this offseason.  You really think they are one of the worst 5 teams in the league?  Ha.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Out of curiosity, I wanted to review the 2014 draft (Mack and Donald’s year) to see how badly we missed on our picks and who we could’ve had.

Remember Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton, Ka’Deem Carey, Brock Vereen and David Fales?   :wall:

Fuller (1.13), O’Donnell (6.191) and Leno (7.246) are the remnants.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NFL_Draft

Oh, that's bad. That's Jets-esque. But look on the bright side. You never gave up and identified a seventh rounder that stuck. 

That's rare. 

Guys, this has lasted for like 9 hours. Should I see a doctor?
Have you tried putting it in something?  That usually helps.

Finally there is a glimmer of hope for Da Bears.  Mack will make this defense formidable once again, Bears hopefully have a developing QB who can keep the defense honest, Howard will pound it on the ground... back to what we remember Bears football being.  Never mind that it was 1985, but it's been a long time coming...

Out of curiosity, I wanted to review the 2014 draft (Mack and Donald’s year) to see how badly we missed on our picks and who we could’ve had.

Remember Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton, Ka’Deem Carey, Brock Vereen and David Fales?   :wall:

this was a talented 1st round. Bears getting Fuller, could have done a lot worse.

Mackenzie said more than 1/2 the teams inquired and he narrowed it down to teams they thought would pick high in the 2019 draft.

interesting...

Mackenzie said more than 1/2 the teams inquired and he narrowed it down to teams they thought would pick high in the 2019 draft.

interesting...
He's not wrong.  Mack is obviously a great player, but that's some serious draft capital and a big contract. 

this was a talented 1st round. Bears getting Fuller, could have done a lot worse.
I remember being so excited at the prospect of getting Donald. The Rams were picking before us and I thought for sure they would pass on the DT because they were already stacked at DL. Would’ve been nice.

Seconded. 
The Bears got a HOF in the prime of his career at the second most important position in football. In exchange, they gave up two first rounders and got back second for a third and a fifth for sixth. Considering only 50% of first rounders pan out to be above average players, how many do you think become HOF?? Give me a break, this is an awesome deal for the Beloved. Mack, Roquan Smith, Leonard Floyd and Danny Travathian all being coached by Vic Fangio? 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-

interesting...
this is exactly what I mentioned in the Oakland thread. Bears were not one piece from the super bowl, and are likely to finish below .500. 

long term it all relies on trubisky. if he takes the steps he needs to take them Chicago has potential to be great. if he stays status quo or busts, then Chicago wont have the salary cap space to sign a qb and wont have the draft picks to grab one. so this really relies on him IMO

Got our best CB and solid starting LT. Could've been a lot worse.  Donald is why I won't ever question Pace when he trades up to get a player. One pick away from Donald. One! 

this is exactly what I mentioned in the Oakland thread. Bears were not one piece from the super bowl, and are likely to finish below .500. 

long term it all relies on trubisky. if he takes the steps he needs to take them Chicago has potential to be great. if he stays status quo or busts, then Chicago wont have the salary cap space to sign a qb and wont have the draft picks to grab one. so this really relies on him IMO
This is  just a silly post and poor logic.  If the quarterback doesn't turn out, then the Bears are screwed because they traded a lot for Mack and paid him a huge contract. If any team's qb doesn't end up doing well, they're not a great team.  The Bears obviously thinks there's is, which is why they moved up for him and surrounded him with a lot of talent. Now, they've built an impressive defense as well.  The teams that are "one piece from the super bowl" don't have the cap space to even afford Mack. 

But you can go ahead and break down all the missing pieces we need to make the playoffs. I'll listen. 

Jacksonville made a run last year with Bortles. The 49ers with Kaep. Baltimore won one with Flacco. Seattle with young Wilson. 

A great defense and good running game is what provides consistency. Trubisky just has to be average and not turn the ball over for Chicago to be in positions to win many games. If he makes a few plays, Nagy's offense plays average, then Chicago wins more than half of their games.

You both (flapgreen and Dr. Dan) make good points, methinks.  If the Bears didn't think they were playoff contenders, they don't go out and give up all that for Mack. Then again, talent evaluators seem -- in my brief perusal yesterday -- to have a lot of questions about the Bears, even with their upgrades.

Personally, I'm not sold on Trubisky, either, but my exposure to him is limited and should be taken with a massive dose of salt.

This is  just a silly post and poor logic.  If the quarterback doesn't turn out, then the Bears are screwed because they traded a lot for Mack and paid him a huge contract. If any team's qb doesn't end up doing well, they're not a great team.  The Bears obviously thinks there's is, which is why they moved up for him and surrounded him with a lot of talent. Now, they've built an impressive defense as well.  The teams that are "one piece from the super bowl" don't have the cap space to even afford Mack. 

But you can go ahead and break down all the missing pieces we need to make the playoffs. I'll listen. 
I know I'm poking the hornets nest with you by posting this here but Trubisky is hardly a proven asset. Derek Carr had a much more impressive rookie year and he's looking ho-hum right now. A pretty good comparison of trubiskys first year is Tannehill, who had a similar rating. 

I'm not saying trubisky is garbage. in fact, he was one of my favorite QBs in the draft last year. I'm just saying he could very well turn out to be Tannehill. And if that happens then this deal is crippling to the Bears. 

Yes, if any teams first round QB fails that's not good. but not many teams are making blockbuster trades, sending their next 2 first rounders away, and making record setting signings with a very unproven 2nd year QB. yes of course the bears think trubisky is awesome. They've never been wrong before? how did Cutler turn out? They were so impressed with him they even extended him. 

and to your point, the Packers were in the running for Mack and were passed over because their pick was projected by Oakland to be much lower than the Bears. They could have afforded Mack.

The Bears are not a playoff team this year unless some major injury happens in the division. They need to win their division to make the playoffs. The wildcard competition is too stiff in the West and South. Looking at the schedule I honestly see a 6-10 season at worst, 8-8 at best. But I guess we will see shortly. 

I know I'm poking the hornets nest with you by posting this here but Trubisky is hardly a proven asset. Derek Carr had a much more impressive rookie year and he's looking ho-hum right now. A pretty good comparison of trubiskys first year is Tannehill, who had a similar rating. 

I'm not saying trubisky is garbage. in fact, he was one of my favorite QBs in the draft last year. I'm just saying he could very well turn out to be Tannehill. And if that happens then this deal is crippling to the Bears. 

Yes, if any teams first round QB fails that's not good. but not many teams are making blockbuster trades, sending their next 2 first rounders away, and making record setting signings with a very unproven 2nd year QB. yes of course the bears think trubisky is awesome. They've never been wrong before? how did Cutler turn out? They were so impressed with him they even extended him. 

and to your point, the Packers were in the running for Mack and were passed over because their pick was projected by Oakland to be much lower than the Bears. They could have afforded Mack.

The Bears are not a playoff team this year unless some major injury happens in the division. They need to win their division to make the playoffs. The wildcard competition is too stiff in the West and South. Looking at the schedule I honestly see a 6-10 season at worst, 8-8 at best. But I guess we will see shortly. 
Comparing previous coaching staff and previous GM decisions about a QB(Cutler) to the current one, doesn't make sense.  The same logic would say remember when Green Bay drafted Terrell Buckley. How did that turn out? Now they drafted another CB highly. This regime actually got rid of Cutler.

Comparing previous coaching staff and previous GM decisions about a QB(Cutler) to the current one, doesn't make sense.  The same logic would say remember when Green Bay drafted Terrell Buckley. How did that turn out? Now they drafted another CB highly. This regime actually got rid of Cutler.
the point is GMs, no matter who they are, make mistakes. I think until 4 weeks ago Elway still had faith in Lynch. 

the point is GMs, no matter who they are, make mistakes. I think until 4 weeks ago Elway still had faith in Lynch. 
Which is what Flapgreen said....any QB could fail. You brought up Cutler and it has no connection. 

The piece you're missing is a great defense and good running game = wins. Everything else is gravy. 

Users who are viewing this thread