What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (10 Viewers)

Calling a joke that your guy didn’t receive a reward is discrediting Ballard who did an amazing job in his first year as GM with Indy. He also did this without sacrificing future valuable draft capital. Both deserve applause but hardly a joke that Ballard was honored.
No its not. I never said Ballard did a bad job, just that it wasn't a close race. Bears ended up with 8 Pro Bowlers and went from 5 wins to 12 wins while running away with the division.  Ballard has Andrew Luck.  Did great, though. Should've finished a strong second. The entire Bears roster is now loaded. The rosters don't even compare. 

Bears sign right tackle Bobby Massie to four-year contract extension. 

HUGE for the offense. Amos and Callahan the 2 remaining free agents. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Interesting, as PFF has said Massie needs to be replaced.  Don’t recall any glaring errors with his performances this past season, however.  Line chemistry is important, so keeping it intact is a good thing.

I think the reason Ballard got it was because of the McDaniel snafu.  He recovered nicely with Reich as his plan B and the Colts probably did better than if McDaniel didn’t back out.

Ballard being a longtime former scout for the Bears sort of makes it seem like a quasi-win.  Thought he was going to get our GM position over Pace at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason Ballard got it was because of the McDaniel snafu.  He recovered nicely with Reich as his plan B and the Colts probably did better than if McDaniel didn’t back out.

Ballard being a longtime former scout for the Bears sort of makes it seem like a quasi-win.  Thought he was going to get our GM position over Pace at the time.
I think he ended up getting a little lucky with Reich falling in his lap, but it worked out. Ballard has done a great job.  It is kind of cool the Bears narrowed their candidates down to Pace and Ballard a few years ago. Good for Ballard. 

man I love both... but slot corner backs are replaceable. Would love for us to keep Amos.
Outside of the injuries, Callahan has been excellent. Would much rather keep Callahan and he'll probably come at a good value because of the injuries. I like Amos, but I think he's more replaceable. 

Big kicker tryout then sign a no name from Toledo with a medicore kicking record. Sounds to me like a cheap option to provide camp competition and the can say they tried other things when they keep parkey.
Nah. No way Parkey is back. I've seen teams bring in kickers this early in the year trying out. Doubt they cut Parkey before June 1st. Costs an extra million if they cut him before June. 

Only 2 starters remaining from last year who are free agents. I'll bet they'll sign at least one of them. Whole team returning. 

Need a kicker. Probably a safety.  RB. Another pass rusher. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 2 starters remaining from last year who are free agents. I'll bet they'll sign at least one of them. Whole team returning. 

Need a kicker. Probably a safety.  RB. Another pass rusher. 

Like you said earlier, i'd rather keep Callahan. Amos can be replaced easier because Callahan is elite and Amos cost the Bears many times in that playoff game.

Kicker = yes

Edge = yes

RB = Kareem Hunt has a connection with Nagy

One other position I would like upgraded = Punter. O'Donnell is a UFA and isn't a top 10 guy. Either upgrade or save the millions by getting  cheap replacement.

tdmills said:
Like you said earlier, i'd rather keep Callahan. Amos can be replaced easier because Callahan is elite and Amos cost the Bears many times in that playoff game.

Kicker = yes

Edge = yes

RB = Kareem Hunt has a connection with Nagy

One other position I would like upgraded = Punter. O'Donnell is a UFA and isn't a top 10 guy. Either upgrade or save the millions by getting  cheap replacement.
I'm with you. 

No its not. I never said Ballard did a bad job, just that it wasn't a close race. Bears ended up with 8 Pro Bowlers and went from 5 wins to 12 wins while running away with the division.  Ballard has Andrew Luck.  Did great, though. Should've finished a strong second. The entire Bears roster is now loaded. The rosters don't even compare. 
Ballard should not be punished for doing more with less. Colts roster prior to him taking over was near bottom from a talent standpoint. He nailed the draft and didn’t sacrifice the future. If I was a betting man I would say Indy has a better chance of seeing a Super Bowl in the next three years than Chicago. Time will tell. No shame as Chicago did make major improvement. Either would have been good choices. 

Bobby Massie contract. Solid 

2 year 15.8 million guaranteed contract 
2019 year cap hit 3.8 million (guaranteed year)
2020 year cap hit 8.3 million (Guaranteed year)

2021 year cap hit 9.3 million (non guaranteed year) 3.9 dead cap if they release him before June 1st 2021

I really hope re-signing Massie doesn’t cost them Amos or Callahan. Those guys are better, younger, and more important. Massie is a decent starter, those guys are pro bowl level guys. Especially Amos, who does a ton of the dirty work that frees up Jackson to ballhawk.

I really hope re-signing Massie doesn’t cost them Amos or Callahan. Those guys are better, younger, and more important. Massie is a decent starter, those guys are pro bowl level guys. Especially Amos, who does a ton of the dirty work that frees up Jackson to ballhawk.
Massie has been very good the last 2 years and there's just nothing in FA or round 3 and after in the draft to replace him with.  I love it. Keeps the OL intact.  Amos is very replaceable.  We need Callahan back for sure. 

No safety is worth a starting offensive tackle.

Amos is a good player but his skillset is very replaceable. Hopefully in the draft.

Callahan is much more valuable and versatile, hut still not worth what a legit tackleis worth. Hes gravy on that defense. Massie is protecting the franchise QB.

Hearing Packers-Bears to open the 2019 season.

Just more heartache for the Bears early in the season.
The only team with heartbreak recently is the sorry ____ Packers. Haven't been to the playoffs since 2016...aging QB who gets injured all the time...couldn't win WITH that QB this year.

But sure...Chicago's knees are trembling...hahahaha

Combine and FA coming up soon.  Needs are far fewer than previous years, obviously. At the moment, needs are: 

K, Punter, OLB, Nickel, SS, TE

Could be one less need if we sign Amos or Callahan. I'm guessing Callahan. 

Good and bad news today:

The good, Long restructured, so he'll still be around.  His price was too high, but he's still a good player and is really the heart of that offense, and I think that matters.

The bad, Gould tagged by SF, I'm not sure I was sold on resigning him, but it would have been an improvement without a doubt.

A few things coming up in FA:  Not going to be a big year of spending for the Bears but a lot of depth and value to be had. 

I'd like them to re-sign Callahan and let Amos walk for a big contract and then get the comp pick for him. Then sign a guy like Joyner or Clinton-Dix. 

Sign Mark Ingram for a 2 year contract and pair him with Cohen. Trade Howard for a 4th or 5th if possible. Also address RB in draft. 

Really need more depth at OLB. Not sure who they can get there for a reasonable PRICE there. 

A few things coming up in FA:  Not going to be a big year of spending for the Bears but a lot of depth and value to be had. 

I'd like them to re-sign Callahan and let Amos walk for a big contract and then get the comp pick for him. Then sign a guy like Joyner or Clinton-Dix. 

Sign Mark Ingram for a 2 year contract and pair him with Cohen. Trade Howard for a 4th or 5th if possible. Also address RB in draft. 

Really need more depth at OLB. Not sure who they can get there for a reasonable PRICE there. 
Pretty much best case scenario and what I'll be rooting for. 

Wait for the market to play out and take some swings on vets to upgrade Mizzell, Kevin White and Dion Simms.  We need more guys who can make someone miss in space. I think a guy like Ty Montgomery could be a good pickup and can fill multiple roles in this offense.  

Pretty much best case scenario and what I'll be rooting for. 

Wait for the market to play out and take some swings on vets to upgrade Mizzell, Kevin White and Dion Simms.  We need more guys who can make someone miss in space. I think a guy like Ty Montgomery could be a good pickup and can fill multiple roles in this offense.  
Forgot about Patterson, too. Explosive and return game has been terrible since Hester left. 

Sounding like the price for Amos and Callahan got too high.  Very conservative so far.  Still a long way to go. 

Skrine 3/16.5 or 5.5 per. 8 million guaranteed. 

Mike Davis. 3/6.

Joyner going to the Raiders. Sounds like Amos is about to sign somewhere. Really need Lynch to sign a decent contract for a comp pick. 

I kind of like the davis signing. 
I don't get the Davis move at all. He costs more than just keeping Jordan Howard would. 

Not a fan of the Skrine signing either. He was always a guy to target in DFS, because any slot WR facing him usually had a better than normal game. I wouldn't be shocked if he was unable to beat out McManis.

Davis signing is okay. Decent player at.a cheap price. I’d like to buy Pace a subscription to NFL.com so he could watch some tape. Because anyone who has watched Buster Skrine on tape does not want him on their team. He is awful. PFF has him ranked 103 out of 112 corners. He is probably the worst slot corner in the league. He has been flagged for more penalties than any player since 2011. He has been flagged 74 times in that period. The Jets fans are thrilled to be rid of him. Why Pace thinks this is a good signing is beyond me. Pace has made some good signings, and some dumb signings. This may be the dumbest.

^This.  Davis has shown some flashes when given an opportunity, but Skrine?  Old, overpriced dumpster fire of a nickelback.  Get ready to see more laundry.  Apparently Pagano wants a veteran there or thinks he can teach an old dog new tricks, or something.

Bellamy gone to the Jets.  Ho hum.  Nice special teamer and finally made a few plays on offense this past season, but only as a sub/fill-in.

The #Packers are signing former #Bears S Adrian Amos to a 4-year deal worth $37M, source said. He gets $21M in the first two years.

No way the Bears were paying Amos this much. 

Users who are viewing this thread