What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (15 Viewers)

Stories coming out that Tagovailoa is dropping significantly and off several boards entirely already. IF, and I doubt it happens, he drops to the second round, should the Bears consider him?
yes but he won't drop to the 2nd and we don't have the draft capital to move up. Not that you should consider moving up for someone you don't have the medicals on.

I'm actually surprised by this release. I thought they might go 2-TE heavy with Burton and Graham. Oh well, any time you can cut a decent player, because you just signed an expensive, much crappier one, you've got to do it.

Burton is probably a great sneaky signing for a team as a #2 TE, or a #1 on a team with a loaded WR group. Basically somewhere where he isn't a top-3 target. Health was bigger issue than talent in my opinion.
just saving money... I dunno about 12 personnel with Burton/Graham, neither of them block. 

Burton will be a nice cheap add for a team - Pats, Cardinals, Redskins, hell even the Texans.

just saving money... I dunno about 12 personnel with Burton/Graham, neither of them block. 

Burton will be a nice cheap add for a team - Pats, Cardinals, Redskins, hell even the Texans.
I don't think you need a blocking TE for 12 personnel. Its more about creating difficult coverage situations in my opinion. Burton and Graham are better blockers than say Taylor Gabriel was, which means teams would have to adjust their personnel, or have weaknesses against the offense.

I just hate, well, pretty much every move the Bears have made the past 2 off seasons. Paying more money to get worse, seems to be the theme of late, and this Graham/Burton swap is just another example.

I think they are very likely to be puling up the rear in the NFC North. Kinda following the Jaguars footsteps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you need a blocking TE for 12 personnel. Its more about creating difficult coverage situations in my opinion. Burton and Graham are better blockers than say Taylor Gabriel was, which means teams would have to adjust their personnel, or have weaknesses against the offense.

I just hate, well, pretty much every move the Bears have made the past 2 off seasons. Paying more money to get worse, seems to be the theme of late, and this Graham/Burton swap is just another example.

I think they are very likely to be puling up the rear in the NFC North. Kinda following the Jaguars footsteps.
Pace at this point is just trying to save his job. We have holes all over the place. Offensive line + depth. CB / safety + depth. Tight end. No QB of the future. I'm not a fan of Monty (my own personal opinion). Need a 3rd WR. But hey, at least we have a d-line and backers...

I know he's going to be cut and it doesnt matter, but Adam Shaheen is still currently on the roster. Of all the Pace moves, I find that one the most unforgivable, and it just irks me that he still has a locker.

Whatever the Bears do this week, I really hope they don't trade away next year's first round pick.  This is not a commentary against Pace, but I'm really missing having something to root for night one of the draft.  Every year I get together with my Packer fan bud and we cook brats, watch the draft and rip on each other.  Obviously can't do that this year, but hopefully next year we'll both be back in round 1.

If the Bears are ready to move on at QB, I am hoping they trade next year's 1 to get in the back end of round one and take a QB.

If the Bears are ready to move on at QB, I am hoping they trade next year's 1 to get in the back end of round one and take a QB.
No way you can pick up Foles and then trade up to grab a new QB, team would be a mess.  I also don't think they can afford to give up more draft picks, the team has a lot of holes, and mediocre players, they need as many tries as they can get to actually draft start-able talent.  I just think that would be a nuts plan personally.  Pace needs to stop giving away draft picks, especially because so far what he's using them on haven't been successful players.

No way you can pick up Foles and then trade up to grab a new QB, team would be a mess.  I also don't think they can afford to give up more draft picks, the team has a lot of holes, and mediocre players, they need as many tries as they can get to actually draft start-able talent.  I just think that would be a nuts plan personally.  Pace needs to stop giving away draft picks, especially because so far what he's using them on haven't been successful players.
Not arguing with you but a late first qb probably spends most of a season on the bench.  And Baltimore traded into the late first without giving up a first - I could buy into that.  I don’t think draft picks are all that valuable - there are a good amount of first round busts and it gets worse with each round

Plus my trading up to get a  qb  only works if you are sure trubisky is done - and I am not sure he is.

I would expect the Bears to trade down with one of their picks tomorrow, but I would assume this is a list of guys to be aware of...

Safety: Chinn / Winfield / Delpit / Dugger / Davis

CB: Arnette / Hall / Igbinoghene

WR: Higgins / Shenault / Pittman Jr (probably gone, people seem to love him, as do I)

QB: Eason / Hurts (you never know - probably not though)

or they can hold onto what will likely be a very high pick and take a QB next year.
I agree. Unless one of the top ranked QBs drop, which I doubt, I'm not sure taking a QB elps the Bears this year. There's no way a rookie is going to start after trading for Foles and with Trubisky still on the roster. And I don't want a developmental or project guy. There are other positions we can get better at instead. Regardless of where their first round pick is, they can still get a Quarterback IF Foles and/or Trubisky fail. The question is how good the stable of QBs doing out next year really are. Also what will the competition for QBs be next year if other teams address their QB needs in this year's draft. 

I'd love to see them get McKinney or Winfield here. The two best safeties are still there for the taking.

The cupboard is kind of bare for CB.

Some excellent RB available, although not necessarily a need.

Some talent at WR still there.

Ideally I'd love to see McKinney and best WR available, be it Mims, Higgins,  Or Claypool, coming out of the second round .

My short list for Chicago today:

S= McKinney, Chinn, Delpit, Winfield. Drafting one of these is almost a no brainer at this point.

CB=Johnson, Diggs, Fulton.

Edge=Yeter, Weaver, Epenesa

OL=Cushenberry

WR=Mims

RB=Swift, Taylor

If Chicago grabs 2 from that list, I'm very happy. Although, I fully expect them to trade down due to a lack of a 3rd/4th round pick this year. They may move down multiple times.

Plenty of options left for the bears. I think one of the top safeties will be left at 50 and they should go Kmet or WR at 43. I'm not picky though.  DB, TE, WR, OL or Edge. With the amount of holes it's going to be hard for Pace to mess this one up. 

I do also support a trade down from 50. I think there will be too many quality options at 43 to pass up. 

Plenty of options left for the bears. I think one of the top safeties will be left at 50 and they should go Kmet or WR at 43. I'm not picky though.  DB, TE, WR, OL or Edge. With the amount of holes it's going to be hard for Pace to mess this one up. 

I do also support a trade down from 50. I think there will be too many quality options at 43 to pass up. 
If McKinney is available at 43, he's my pick. I would love to see him with Chicago. 

tdmills said:

S= McKinney, Chinn, Delpit, Winfield. Drafting one of these is almost a no brainer at this point.

OL=Cushenberry

WR=Mims

RB=Swift, Taylor

If Chicago grabs 2 from that list, I'm very happy. Although, I fully expect them to trade down due to a lack of a 3rd/4th round pick this year. They may move down multiple times.
isn't Cushenberry  a straight center? We have Whitehair

I agree - it will be McKinney / Chinn / Delpit / Winfield. Kind of prefer Chinn.

tdmills said:

OL=Cushenberry

WR=Mims

RB=Swift, Taylor

TE was not a need for sure. Wow

Could have had first round talent safety that would start day 1 and take this defense up yet another level. Instead got a TE that will be... fine. 

So pissed. Winfield is right there for you, hes PERFECT. Lets Jackson do what he does best and brings run stuffer with an attitude this Defense desperately needs. But we gotta make up forbthe Shaheen/Burton/Graham debacles. 

So pissed. Winfield is right there for you, hes PERFECT. Lets Jackson do what he does best and brings run stuffer with an attitude this Defense desperately needs. But we gotta make up forbthe Shaheen/Burton/Graham debacles. 
Chinn still available

Sorry I don;t have the name of the GM on ESPN radio at the time of the Kmet pick - but he called it the worst pick of the draft.

I have no idea

But I do know Nagy and what's his name need to be drafting to win games or Nagy will be out of a job before Kmet makes an impact.

Kmet was a good pick the Patriots taking Dalton Keene was way worse.
The 60 pick difference makes Kmet a worse pick in my opinion, though calling him the worst pick in the draft so far is hyperbole. 

It bugs me that the Bears have signed Jimmy graham and spent a 2nd round pick on a TE, and I don't think they've upgraded the position. Would have rather saved 8 mil, and spent a 2 elsewhere(Delpit, Winfield, Diggs) and just kept Trey Burton.

I did like the Jaylon Johnson pick a ton. I thought he was better than several(most) of the 1st round CB's. I don't know if its PAC-12 defender stigma or what, but he should have been a 1st round pick. He could be the #1 CB pretty quickly, if Fuller doesn't rebound(and maybe even if he does)

Trey Burton was absolutely worthless. Graham was a dumb signing. But getting the best TE in the draft when it’s obviously an important position in this guys offense is not a bad thing. For God’s sake we bring in this great offensive coach and for 2 years we haven’t seen a glimpse of it. If TE is a position he needs then give him a talented TE. And we still got a very promising corner. 

Today grab a couple of o lineman and a hard hitting safety and I won’t be able to complain. 

If you have nine tight ends you have none.
All this 10 TE talk is ridiculous. They basically have two or three they’ll use at TE. Most of them are special teamers and the rest won’t even be on the roster going into the season.

Taking the first Tight End in the draft means nothing. The position is notoriously difficult to scout. I don't think anyone thinks Kmet will be special. At best hes pretty good. At worst, Pace is looking for another tight end project next year. Again. 

Heres a list of the first TE taken first in the draft the last five seasons:

TJ Hockenson, Hayden Hurst,  OJ Howard, Hunter Henry, Maxx Williams. 

There isnt a special TE in every draft... in MOST drafts. There were special players on the board in need positions yesterday. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I rate the draft (through rd3) as pretty average / middle-of-the-pack.

In terms of talent/value, I saw Jaylon Johnson as a borderline rd1-2 talent and Kmet as more of an early 3rd rounder. On average that's pretty close to the picks they used, and neither is all that far off compared to the draft as a whole. Also, there were rumblings over the past week that NFL folks are higher than that on Kmet so maybe pick 43 is not that far out of line. There were definitely other guys I liked better, like the safeties who went at 44 & 45, which is why I see it as middle-of-the-pack rather than a great draft for the picks they had.

In terms of need, CB & TE were both obvious needs. I don't know how you can look at a depth chart led by 33-year-old Jimmy Graham and think that TE is not a need. Is anyone saying "I think we're good with Graham, Harris, Shaheen, and Horsted"? I sure hope not. It's understandable to continue to be frustrated at the Graham signing, but if we're evaluating this pick on its own that signing is already in the books. Graham is an old guy who is now nothing special, on a two-year deal. Outside of Graham, they have no one who has demonstrated NFL talent (e.g., no one has reached 20 receptions in a season) and no one who they've made a meaningful commitment to (e.g., no one is getting even $2M this year). I think the guaranteed money for the non-Graham TEs adds up to less than $1M total.

Users who are viewing this thread