Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Got a QB! Don't ruin him!


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mbuehner said:

This is what everybody needs to understand about the Bears- the GM is on the last year of his contract. Smart franchises would never let a GM do that- either reup or move him out. Pace has absolutely nothing to lose.  So why not trade away three years of draft picks? The 2021 pick MIGHT help you keep your job... the 2022 and 2023 picks certainly wont. And if you were really machiavellian, you might conclude that trading away all the draft picks for several years makes the GM job incredibly undesirable and force the McCaskeys to either keep you or hire some desperate nobody.  Pace can be that desperate nobody, and he already knows where the rest rooms are.

 

Exactly.  He could easily pull a BOB from Houston.

but I have think a qb is still in play in round one of the draft.  They should be able to get the 4th one for 2 firsts and a 3rd.  And it might be a genius move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Tick said:

I agree we don't need Dalton, but I don't think he's looking at as much money as you are thinking, he was only on a 3M base contract last year and didn't blow anyone away.

$10m for mr dalton. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂   This may be the worst move of the entire offseason in the entire NFL

Edited by Brunell4MVP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, caustic said:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Bears are expected to sign FA QB Andy Dalton, source said. Their new starter. He gets a 1-year deal worth $10M.

4:00 PM · Mar 16, 2021

:bag:

I'd rather stick with Trubisky another year. This being a one year deal, I'm not sure what their long term plan is (is there one?). As I said earlier, I might be OK with this (slightly) IF they make a move up to draft a QB.

Edited by 3nOut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

$10m for mr dalton. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂   This may be the worst move of the entire offseason in the entire NFL

Maybe they will sign AJ Green for $10m per season as well and reunite him with Dalton. I can't imagine Pace betting his future on Dalton so I expect they will draft a QB. Foles is already on the books for this year so this to me is a waste of money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

$10m for mr dalton. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂   This may be the worst move of the entire offseason in the entire NFL

Thats hyperbole.  10 millions isnt an issue. Thats what you pay a guy you expect to start. Fitzmagic got 10 million to do do what he always does. 1 year, hes a placeholder. Its unispired but its certainly better than doing long term damage with draft picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:

Tried to get Russ, settled for Dalton 

Sure, but we dont know if Watson or Wilson were REALLY available, or available with what the Bears had to offer. My point is, imagine a world where Watson and Wilson rumors didnt exist... who would you expect the Bears to end up starting this year? Its either a rookie or somebody that looks a lot like Dalton... or worse. They are in a horrible position, theres no getting around it. Were all entranced with some miracle that nets us an established franchise QB, but that just doesnt mean there was ever a realistic scenerio where that was going to happen. It is what it is, where in the same place we expected we would be as of last December- Football Hell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 3nOut said:

:bag:

I'd rather stick with Trubisky another year. This being a one year deal, I'm not sure what their long term plan is (is there one?). As I said earlier, I might be OK with this (slightly) IF they make a move up to draft a QB.

Mitch most likely doesn;t sign for one year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

$10m for mr dalton. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂   This may be the worst move of the entire offseason in the entire NFL

Especially when it’s not like he’s any better than Nick Foles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have to be kidding me!!!! This guy was out there last year and signed for NOTHING!!!! Then ended up starting and looked completely mediocre!!!! How in the hell does he get a 7M raise after last year???? We could have just signed him last year and not given up picks and 21M for Foles.

HOW DOES PACE STILL HAVE A JOB???

Eta: and I really wanted them to sign Dalton last year also, so it's not like I have anything against the guy.

Edited by The Tick
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Tick said:

I agree we don't need Dalton, but I don't think he's looking at as much money as you are thinking, he was only on a 3M base contract last year and didn't blow anyone away.

Ryan Pace begs to differ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Tick said:

Any details on the contract yet? Is it at least a lower base with lots of chances for more?

Quote

The Chicago Bears and quarterback Andy Dalton have agreed to a one-year, $10 million deal, with the chance for the quarterback to earn another $3 million in incentives, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, The Tick said:

So we are giving him more base salary then Newton or Winston. At least those contracts had smaller base with large escalators.

Both took haircuts to play for great franchises. Nobody is going to bet on themself with this offense around them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

My son says about Dalton signing:

”That’s like replacing a 2010 Prius with a 2005 Camry and pretending to be excited because you have a new car.”

That's pretty funny but a 2010 Prius can probably find the endzone better than Trubisky or Foles. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's more like trying to trade in a 78 Buick for a Ferrari (Wilson) and getting trolled by the dealership while they "run the numbers". 

After waiting in the lobby for an ungodly amount of time, "Sorry but we're not giving you a Ferrari, but we were happy to take your calls and hear what you had to say while we laughed privately. Now please leave before we call security."

Then, you run with hat in hand to another dealer, but he only has a washed up 94 Aerostar with factory recalls pending and sells it to you for waaaaay over sticker price and then makes you take your trade in back home with you, too, because they ain't taking that ####. So, you have a new car now. A beat up minivan that may or may not get you to point B (which isn't the playoffs it is just week 17).

Ugh stupid Bears. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bears have reportedly been very active in pursuing WIlson and Watson - and maybe they were realistically out of reach with offering the 1.20 for starters - plus there was word about them reaching out to Pitt for Roethlisberger.

Thhis regime is in save jobs mode and Dalton is not going to do that - he is going to bridge us to the next guy who we will take on draft night by trading up.  

Lance or Jones is coming aboard on draft night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thhis regime is in save jobs mode and Dalton is not going to do that - he is going to bridge us to the next guy who we will take on draft night by trading up.  

Lance or Jones is coming aboard on draft night.

I think this is probably true, but Paces history of overpaying for draft moves and trouble evaluating QBs is scary.  QBs are being mocked extraordinarily high this draft compared to history, thats troubling.  We arent talking about Pace trading massive assets to get the consensus QB1, generational talent. Were talking about him trading massive resources to move up and get the third or fourth or fifth QB that a couple years ago would be a second or third round prospect.  This all lines up playing into Paces weaknesses, and the whole NFL is well aware of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. The Bears offered THREE first rounders, a THIRD, and TWO starters for Wilson. Crazy. If they were going to offer that much they should have made that offer to Houston for Watson who is younger. Pace is showing how desperate he is and now the league knows it (if they haven't already).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 3nOut said:

Wow. The Bears offered THREE first rounders, a THIRD, and TWO starters for Wilson. Crazy. If they were going to offer that much they should have made that offer to Houston for Watson who is younger. Pace is showing how desperate he is and now the league knows it (if they haven't already).

They probably did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The big problem all along for Chicago was everyone knowing that adding Wilson would turn all their offered picks into late round selections.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

Exactly my point. I referred to him above as a 97 Aerostar. And a 2010 Prius is like Mahomes compared to Foles or Trubisky. 

I'm going with a 2000 Chevy Aztek. It was marketed as useful, unique, competent, hey Walter White drove one. But it literally destroyed the Pontiac brand and was a vehicle that somehow got almost everything wrong. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, InDitkaWeTrust said:

Doubtful.  We don't have the draft capital to move up far enough to get one of the top guys.  And no, Mac Jones isn't a top guy.

Actually if you look at the trade value of draft picks two firsts and another get you to 1.06 range

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, InDitkaWeTrust said:

Doubtful.  We don't have the draft capital to move up far enough to get one of the top guys.  And no, Mac Jones isn't a top guy.

Mac Jones will go top 15, maybe top 10. QBs are insanely valued this year. Smart move is to let a tackle or edge rusher fall to the Bears. But Pace, being Pace, will probably trade future picks to move up for a guy that would be a reach at 20 any other year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mbuehner said:

Mac Jones will go top 15, maybe top 10. QBs are insanely valued this year. Smart move is to let a tackle or edge rusher fall to the Bears. But Pace, being Pace, will probably trade future picks to move up for a guy that would be a reach at 20 any other year.

Exactly.  Getting a Tackle in round 1 and taking a flyer on Trask in round 2 is how I'd like to see this draft go.  The talent level at Tackle this year is insane and the Bears desperately need to solidify the rest of the line.  But Pace being Pace will trade up from 20 to just inside the top 10 to pick yet another risky QB pick in Jones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2021 at 5:08 PM, The Dude said:

Exactly.  He could easily pull a BOB from Houston.

but I have think a qb is still in play in round one of the draft.  They should be able to get the 4th one for 2 firsts and a 3rd.  And it might be a genius move.

If Pace trades 2 firsts and a third or anything like that to move up and get the 4th QB in this draft he should be run out of town on a rail.

There is what economist would call an irrational bubble on QB value right now. In the last 10 years there are an average of 3 QBs taken in the first round. This year there may be 3 taken in the first 3 picks and almost certainly 5 in the first 15. There might be 6 or 7 QBs in the first round this year and thats crazy.

Is this a banner, unprecedented year for QB talent?  I dont think so, although it does seems to be a strong year. Whatever the case, there is NO REASON to give away an extra 1st round pick (plus!) to get the 4th or 5th QB off the board by moving up a handful of spots. Even though that is SO on brand for Ryan Pace.

Historically, thats a 2nd round talent, maybe end of the 1st. And although there have been some real exciting QBs developing lately, the list of 1st round picks in the last decade is pretty sobering:

Paxton Lynch, Josh Rosen, Johnny Manziel, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Tim Tebow, EJ Manuel, Jake Locker, Brandon Weeden,  Blake Bortles, RG3, Sam Darnold, Mitchell Trubisky, Marcus Mariota, Sam Bradford, Carson Wentz, Jameis Winston, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill, Teddy Bridgewater, Jared Goff, Andrew Luck, Josh Allen, Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, Watson,  Mahomes, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love.

That to me looks like a coin flip at best, especially when those are generally the top 3 Qbs in their drafts (on average) certainly not the 5th or 6th.

I know Bears fans are desperate for any glimmer of hope at the position, but putting yourself even farther behind by mortgaging the future on a guy just because he's on your draft board and everybody else is gobbling up over hyped QBs... that how you become the Chicago Bears. Lets stop doing that.

 

 

 

Edited by mbuehner
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not arguing it’s the right idea.  My statement is that it’s the best idea for Pace to keep his job.

he’s got to come out of this draft with a qb of the future

but I would favor a slight trade down to add picks and trade up to get Trask in 2nd.

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • flapgreen changed the title to ***Chicago Bears Thread*** Embarrassment to the human race

I can't wrap my mind around the Fuller cut.  While the possibility coming into the new league year made sense, the timing does not.  Why would he be cut today?

- If the goal is to clear up cap space, who is/are the FA targets?  Several of the seemingly top OL free agents are already off the board before this move.

- If more cuts come (Hicks), is there a possibility Pace and Nagy have convinced the McCaskeys to tank for a year?  I honestly can't see it.

- I realize the Wilson/Watson rumors are more clickbait than anything else, but part of me wonders if this Pace rearranging the face of the franchise with a future attempt at a Wilson trade in mind, whether it's cap space for Wilson himself post-June 1 (incredibly far-fetched, but I would believe Pace could believe anything) or finally offering a long-term deal to ARob to entice a Wilson-caliber QB.  I'm not saying any of these moves would be rational, per se.  But since we're talking about Ryan Pace, it seems in the realm of possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2017 at 2:59 PM, flapgreen said:

Let's hope and pray ownershiphas a change of heart between now and tomorrow and gets rid of Fox.  Worst season in Bears history finishing with 2 straight blowouts. 

Went 1 season too long with Fox and everyone knew it. Same with Pace and Nagy. Now, they're intentionally sabotaging the franchise.  Way to go, George! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rschroeder1 said:

I can't wrap my mind around the Fuller cut.  While the possibility coming into the new league year made sense, the timing does not.  Why would he be cut today?

- If the goal is to clear up cap space, who is/are the FA targets?  Several of the seemingly top OL free agents are already off the board before this move.

- If more cuts come (Hicks), is there a possibility Pace and Nagy have convinced the McCaskeys to tank for a year?  I honestly can't see it.

- I realize the Wilson/Watson rumors are more clickbait than anything else, but part of me wonders if this Pace rearranging the face of the franchise with a future attempt at a Wilson trade in mind, whether it's cap space for Wilson himself post-June 1 (incredibly far-fetched, but I would believe Pace could believe anything) or finally offering a long-term deal to ARob to entice a Wilson-caliber QB.  I'm not saying any of these moves would be rational, per se.  But since we're talking about Ryan Pace, it seems in the realm of possibility.

You're thinking about this too deeply. The answer is much simpler than that, so there's no reason to try and twist yourself into a pretzel to understand it. Pace is an idiot and has no clue what he's doing. Yw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, InDitkaWeTrust said:

Exactly.  Getting a Tackle in round 1 and taking a flyer on Trask in round 2 is how I'd like to see this draft go.  The talent level at Tackle this year is insane and the Bears desperately need to solidify the rest of the line.  But Pace being Pace will trade up from 20 to just inside the top 10 to pick yet another risky QB pick in Jones.

At this point, there's no reason to draft anyone available at qb except maybe Mills on day two. Top 4 or 5 will be gone before the Bears get a shot. Team has absolutely no clue what it's doing and reminds me of the Emery days. Clueless 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2021 at 6:08 PM, The Dude said:

Exactly.  He could easily pull a BOB from Houston.

This is my thought too looking at this team's offseason moves. Nagy unlikely to make the full year with the way this is shaping up.  I am slightly more positive on the Bears offsenive weapons that most though. I doubt Dalton is going to be a winner in Chicago, but he could still put up some FF points. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • flapgreen changed the title to ***Chicago Bears Thread*** Got a QB! Don't ruin him!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...