What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (18 Viewers)

So cutting Jimmy Graham would have saved 7 million in cap space, Daltons hit is 5.3 million. Total of 12.3 million

Fullers hit would have been 20m, but cutting him hes still 9 million against their cap, so the move only saved the Bears 11 million.

Are the Bears with Jimmy Graham and Andy Dalton but no Fuller better than vice versa? Well no, especially since now you need a new CB on the roster and youre drafting a QB either way.

Btw, Anthony Miller and Javon Wims are still on the roster. 

Oh, and really wanna be depressed? Trey Burton is still costing 1.75 million against the cap. Thats all quite aside from the terrible Quinn and Foles deals they are stuck with.

Pace got caught kicking the can too long and here we are. He's a disgrace and the Bears are a joke for putting up with this ineptitude.

Andy Dalton is an upgrade over Trubisky. Trubisky cannot run a pro style offense. His upside is his legs.

There are many kids in the draft that can produce like Trubisky from Day 1 with better legs. These kids however, cannot run a pro style offense like Andy Dalton can.

You're going to see the Bears hitting on mid and intermediate routes, touch passes on the sideline that Trubisky wishes he could hit.

We UPGRADED our QB position and my guess is since it's only a 1 year deal, we're gearing up to draft a guy this year or next. It makes the upcoming draft that more intriguing.

I think you take a stud defensive player here and anticipate dealing Mack based on the results of this season.

Bears defense is credible. Dalton can make the playoffs and win a playoff game. This will be the best defense he's played with this decade.

Andy Dalton is an upgrade over Trubisky. Trubisky cannot run a pro style offense. His upside is his legs.

There are many kids in the draft that can produce like Trubisky from Day 1 with better legs. These kids however, cannot run a pro style offense like Andy Dalton can.

You're going to see the Bears hitting on mid and intermediate routes, touch passes on the sideline that Trubisky wishes he could hit.

We UPGRADED our QB position and my guess is since it's only a 1 year deal, we're gearing up to draft a guy this year or next. It makes the upcoming draft that more intriguing.

I think you take a stud defensive player here and anticipate dealing Mack based on the results of this season.

Bears defense is credible. Dalton can make the playoffs and win a playoff game. This will be the best defense he's played with this decade.
Bears defense without Fuller, and if they deal Mack as you predict, it may look different. This is a pretty rosey proposition. 

Trubisky doesn’t get a fair shake imo. He was 3-1 to start the year, came back at the end of the year amd lost 2 games before winning the next 3 and losing in the final. He was 6-3 as a starter. Being a lions fan I see a fair number of bears games (granted they make every qb look great) but he seemed to scrap and wasn’t terrible in my opinion. I wouldn’t want to commit to him if there were better options but I don’t think dalton is that option. 

Obviously no one is trying to sign him immediately so that speaks to the level of interest, but he’s a guy I think will be a shrewd signing by someone like NE if they can’t get mariota (assuming he doesn’t agree to less $$). There are a lot of cards to fall as far as qb goes. 

Bears defense without Fuller, and if they deal Mack as you predict, it may look different. This is a pretty rosey proposition. 

Trubisky doesn’t get a fair shake imo. He was 3-1 to start the year, came back at the end of the year amd lost 2 games before winning the next 3 and losing in the final. He was 6-3 as a starter. Being a lions fan I see a fair number of bears games (granted they make every qb look great) but he seemed to scrap and wasn’t terrible in my opinion. I wouldn’t want to commit to him if there were better options but I don’t think dalton is that option. 

Obviously no one is trying to sign him immediately so that speaks to the level of interest, but he’s a guy I think will be a shrewd signing by someone like NE if they can’t get mariota (assuming he doesn’t agree to less $$). There are a lot of cards to fall as far as qb goes. 
Trubisky signed a one year deal for $2.5M with the Bills.

Snorkelson said:

Trubisky's wins and bloated stat line came against bottom of the barrel defenses. He was genuinely awful reading defenses, couldn't keep mental clarity during any given play and relied on physical gifts far more than learning how the game is played in the NFL. I suppose things may slow down or click for him after a few years on the bench, but I doubt he'll ever be much more than a career backup. 

With a potential trade of Hicks coming up, I really can't see the franchise intentionally tanking.  It really seems the powers that be have decided to build a league-winning offense around...Andy Dalton.

At least the Bears aren't boring.

With a potential trade of Hicks coming up, I really can't see the franchise intentionally tanking.  It really seems the powers that be have decided to build a league-winning offense around...Andy Dalton.

At least the Bears aren't boring.
It seems the powers that be have no damn idea what they are doing...  This team is getting worse because of the bad player decisions Pace has made and the bad contracts he's signed players to.  We have multiple mediocre players over 30 on UNCUTTABLE contracts (Quinn, Trevathan) and it's forcing us to cut or trade some of our most productive players.  Pace is a horrible GM and needs to go ASAP.

He shouldn't be allowed to trade future draft picks at this point because whoever takes over next is going to need all the picks he can get to repair this team.

It seems the powers that be have no damn idea what they are doing...  This team is getting worse because of the bad player decisions Pace has made and the bad contracts he's signed players to.  We have multiple mediocre players over 30 on UNCUTTABLE contracts (Quinn, Trevathan) and it's forcing us to cut or trade some of our most productive players.  Pace is a horrible GM and needs to go ASAP.

He shouldn't be allowed to trade future draft picks at this point because whoever takes over next is going to need all the picks he can get to repair this team.
Any truth to the rumor Bill O’Brien to become director of player personnel in Chicago?

🤣🙈🤪

CFB Sicko said:

But does that make anyone happy?  Is winning a playoff game the goal?  And having to start over again at qb in 2022?

Not sure what is going on here. We should have kept Fuller and stuck with Foles instead of signing Dalton. If you think we can still be competitive without fuller, then at least use him as a bargaining chip to move up in the draft. Just releasing him does not get you anything.

To be fair, the NYG look like smacked asses right now because they grossly overpaid an injury prone WR, so I'm not too upset.
I agree, and if Pace got outbid with a reasonable offer i wouldn't want him to overpay.  But when he embarrasses himself with a ridiculous offer and then apparently publicizes it.  

$10m for mr dalton. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂   This may be the worst move of the entire offseason in the entire NFL
I never understood why the Bears paid him $10M. Didn't Winston get $5M with incentives? Granted, the Bears expect Dalton to be their starter, but who else was going to sign him for that reason? Bears did overpay.

A friend of mine told me that Dalton has more pro bowls than all Bears QBs combined during the Super Bowl era.  Is that true?

Monty owners simply cannot catch a break. 

I wonder if this signals something is slow going with Cohen’s recovery? 

Anyway, D.Will (no, not that one. Not that one either) is a Bear. 

Bears signed RB Damien Williams, formerly of the Chiefs, to a one-year contract. 

Williams, released by KC this month after opting out of the 2020 season, has plenty of familiarity with Chicago's coaching staff. He worked with offensive coordinator Bill Lazor in Miami and knows head coach Matt Nagy's offensive scheme from their days together in Kansas City. Williams' addition to the Bears backfield very much complicates David Montgomery's path to the massive volume he saw in 2020. A mere four running backs last season had more total opportunity (rushing attempts plus targets) than Montgomery, who thrived in a series of great late-season matchups. Tarik Cohen coming back from injury and the Williams signing are major hits to Montgomery's usage and upside in the Bears offense.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Monty owners simply cannot catch a break. 

I wonder if this signals something is slow going with Cohen’s recovery? 

Anyway, D.Will (no, not that one. Not that one either) is a Bear. 

Bears signed RB Damien Williams, formerly of the Chiefs, to a one-year contract. 

Williams, released by KC this month after opting out of the 2020 season, has plenty of familiarity with Chicago's coaching staff. He worked with offensive coordinator Bill Lazor in Miami and knows head coach Matt Nagy's offensive scheme from their days together in Kansas City. Williams' addition to the Bears backfield very much complicates David Montgomery's path to the massive volume he saw in 2020. A mere four running backs last season had more total opportunity (rushing attempts plus targets) than Montgomery, who thrived in a series of great late-season matchups. Tarik Cohen coming back from injury and the Williams signing are major hits to Montgomery's usage and upside in the Bears offense.
Meh.  Williams is a depth signing.  Even with Cohen at full strength, we needed a backup RB.  Good signing and doesn't diminish Monty's value at all.  It does, however, elevate the offense in the unlikely event that Cohen and Monty are out at the same time.  You know, maybe a torn ACL and Covid?  Not that THAT would ever happen...

I hate this damn team 
Love your incredible insight! 

The Bears look like complete idiots in how they are trying to build. I agree with the sentiment that Graham should have been cut but the Bears should use all their free agent money on building up the line - they still suck! I hope they at least signed Williams to a veteran minimum contract but knowing them he got 2 years for 20 mil guaranteed. 

If they are trying to tank this season than they might be succeeding but I can't imagine Pace would go for this strategy because he will be fired in the offseason. If they cut Fuller to free up space to get Wilson than I am okay with that but if it was to sign Dalton then please fire Pace immediately.

Dalton is a nice guy but he isn't an upgrade over anyone. Literally every other starting QB in the league is better than the Bears current starting QB, and most backups are better too. This is one of the worst signings in league history. 

Sounds like Darnold and maybe Tua will be available.  But you can’t bench Sam for Andy......maybe you could bench tua for a few weeks.

and talk the Wilson deal may not be dead

I honestly think we are getting a QB.

What's your preference

Draft Lance or Jones or Trask at right price

Trade for Darnold

Give the king's ransom for Wilson

Last edited by a moderator:

What's your preference

Trade for Darnold

I think it will be Darnold.  Seems like it is time for the Jets to go in a different direction.  

I think it will be Darnold.  Seems like it is time for the Jets to go in a different direction.  
Unless Pace already has a secret extension (possible since they refused to comment on how many years were left on his contract) I just don't see Pace risking his job on a boom/bust move like Darnold. If they can't do something big, I really think they would rather try to be "safe" with Dalton/Foles and hope they can play defense and get to 9 wins and see if that is enough to give them an extension.

Unless Pace already has a secret extension (possible since they refused to comment on how many years were left on his contract) I just don't see Pace risking his job on a boom/bust move like Darnold. If they can't do something big, I really think they would rather try to be "safe" with Dalton/Foles and hope they can play defense and get to 9 wins and see if that is enough to give them an extension.
This is the most responsible move, so in a sense it would speak well of Pace. But his bosses arent the most rational people and Pace isnt the most patient guy. 

Its kind of a games theory problem- the smart move for the Bears is to play out the 2021 hand its been dealt,  but Pace personally benefits from mortgaging the future. So will Pace do whats good for his employers, or whats good for himself?

What's your preference

Trade for Darnold

Well, Lance may well be a Niner. I’d bank on one of Lance or Fields going at 3, so I hope y’all are happy with whichever. 

I’d bet Dalton is your starter though. 

I think I am favoring a trade up in round 2 of about 10 spots for Trask.  Should cost us a 2nd and a 3rd - plus we should get a pick in return.

Makes the team look logical.

Dalton as a one year start

Taking an OT in round 1

Trask as the starter in 2022

The Tick said:
This is the most responsible move, so in a sense it would speak well of Pace. But his bosses arent the most rational people and Pace isnt the most patient guy. 

Its kind of a games theory problem- the smart move for the Bears is to play out the 2021 hand its been dealt,  but Pace personally benefits from mortgaging the future. So will Pace do whats good for his employers, or whats good for himself?

I think I am favoring a trade up in round 2 of about 10 spots for Trask.  Should cost us a 2nd and a 3rd - plus we should get a pick in return.

Makes the team look logical.

Dalton as a one year start

Taking an OT in round 1

Trask as the starter in 2022
I think you can get Trask without trading up in the second, and if not, this QB gold rush is even more insane than predicted and theres gonna be some huge value dropping. 

I think you can get Trask without trading up in the second, and if not, this QB gold rush is even more insane than predicted and theres gonna be some huge value dropping. 
Maybe - I would be concerned if Den or NE don’t get a qb in round 1 - may be worthwhile to move ahead of them.

really? I would have thought on the heels of his big year there would be some believers. 
I think people are really down on the team in general, and particularly down on the offense after the Dalton signing. Not sure I understand that feeling as Dalton/Foles doesn't seem like all that much of a downgrade from Foles/Trubisky in my eyes. It was a bit of a surprise they ended up keeping Robinson so I don't really understand all the doom and gloom toward the team. Yeah, landing R.Wilson would have been AMAZING but ~20+ other teams also would have loved landing him as well.

I think people are really down on the team in general, and particularly down on the offense after the Dalton signing. Not sure I understand that feeling as Dalton/Foles doesn't seem like all that much of a downgrade from Foles/Trubisky in my eyes. It was a bit of a surprise they ended up keeping Robinson so I don't really understand all the doom and gloom toward the team. Yeah, landing R.Wilson would have been AMAZING but ~20+ other teams also would have loved landing him as well.
As an ARob owner I keep getting low offers like, “well the bears are gonna be terrible with Dalton, so....” 

like their scrubby 2:1 is gonna me me better than sticking with ARob? Also if they’re gonna be so terrible, why have 3 different teams sent me 2-3 different offers each? 

I always pepper owner with offers for players I think will be bad on bad teams, said no dynasty manager ever. 

As an ARob owner I keep getting low offers like, “well the bears are gonna be terrible with Dalton, so....” 
I have to confess that I have been guilty of offers for sliding players in the past. In the case of ARob it's a double dip because so many people were convinced he might change teams, and then those same folks were excited on the Wilson rumors. 

After awhile you hear so many talking heads and podcast voices saying similar group think you try to capitalize. For instance right now all the buzz around HOU is so negative(for more than a year now) I wouldn't mind trying to pry a 27yo Brandon Cooks away right now. Last year there was all this talk that Cooks was injury prone and USED TO BE productive and.... surprise surprise after being drafted close to WR#40 he actually finished in the top 20. Again. For the 5th time in the past 6 years. It's amazing how strong the narrative driven group think is in the industry. If anything, I think all this off the field stuff probably makes it more likely that nobody will give HOU what they want and with the current CBA Watson doesn't have all that much power to force himself out of HOU. Even with a probably Watson suspension Cooks might even end up a WR#1 on your team down the stretch of the season.

Anyway, probably straying too far from the Bears in a Bear thread but my tie-in is teams like CHI and HOU that seem to only get bad press and hate can definitely be good "buy low" opportunities. Holding ARob right now is smart just like those folks were smart to hold(or even buy) Cooks last year.

Anyway, probably straying too far from the Bears in a B ear thread but my tie-in is teams like CHI and HOU that seem to only get bad press and hate can definitely be good "buy low" opportunities. Holding ARob right now is smart just like those folks were smart to hold(or even buy) Cooks last year.
I tried to buy low on Cooks & the owner was as stubborn as I now am with ARob. Dalton was plenty capable of getting the rock to the weapons in Dallas, and ARob is far and away the best receiver in CHI. I have more optimism for Dalton than what the Bears have thrown out there the last couple years. Hell, if Trubisky could lead a receiver instead of constantly throwing behind them Arob would probably have had 10 more TDs. 

I'm definitely a hold. 

Dalton was plenty capable of getting the rock to the weapons in Dallas, and ARob is far and away the best receiver in CHI. I have more optimism for Dalton than what the Bears have thrown out there the last couple years.
One reason I'm bullish on a Dalton led Bears offense is I feel like we have seen something similar before. Nagy was the OC in KC when a 33yo Alex Smith had far and away his best offensive season of his career and ended up getting that silly WAS extension as a result. Dalton has a reputation as dink-and-dunk guy but so did Smith before he met Nagy. I can just picture Dalton running THAT specific offense well. And to be fair Nagy was brought into CHI to fix a QB he inherited, so maybe that offense can work better with a weaker armed, less mobile QB that processes information faster and makes fewer mistakes. 

Do I think Dalton will be the next Rich Gannon/Tannehill phoenix rising from the ashes? Probably not, but I wouldn't have ever bet one either of those guys turning around their career either. But I also don't put much of the problems in DAL last season at the feet of Dalton and maybe other people do. That entire team just looked like it quit to me well before the season was over. 

I may be talking myself into trying to scoop up Kmet in a lot of dynasty leagues. CHEAP.

What's your preference

Trade for Darnold

The only scenario that makes any sense here is drafting Trask at the right price.  I don't think Lance or Jones make it out of the top 10, nor do I think it makes sense to trade for Darnold when you have Dalton/Foles.  Taking a flyer on a guy like Trask if he falls to you or you don't have to give up much to get him is really the only way the QB roster changes significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread