What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (11 Viewers)

Man, this thread got quiet.  Everyone must still be sulking after the draft.  After reading a few articles it seems that Pace may have made the right move in getting his guy.  He wanted Trubisky and made sure he got him.

The Bears Trubisky pick is still making headlines across the NFL with a full week having transpired since it was made. Needless to say the opinions have varied. Some experts panned the move, citing it reckless and way too expensive. Others admire the aggressiveness of GM Ryan Pace to finally try solving a position that has haunted Chicago for decades. Regardless of stance, the choice caused a stir.What people couldn’t be sure of is whether or not the trade by Pace to go from #3 to #2 overall was worth it. Most claimed they basically bid against themselves. Gave up valuable picks for a player who would’ve been available had they stayed put. Details over the past few days though seem to argue against that stance. Not only did the Titans and Jaguars stop receiving trade calls from teams after the Trubisky pick, word is it completely ruined the weekend for one team in particular.Bears Trubisky pick shattered a promise to Browns ownerFormer Bears quarterback Jim Miller, now an analyst for CSN Chicago, heard from his sources on draft day that Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was furious his team wasn’t able to get back up the board to land Trubisky. He explained on the Bears Talk podcast why Pace made the right move.“NO I’M NOT BECAUSE I WAS TOLD SPECIFICALLY ON DRAFT DAY THAT THE OWNER OF THE CLEVELAND BROWNS WAS VERY UPSET, JIMMY HASLAM, THAT THEY DIDN’T GET MITCHELL TRUBISKY. HE WAS PROMISED THAT THEY WERE GOING TO GET HIM. IT DIDN’T HAPPEN. EVEN HUE JACKSON CAME OUT TODAY AND SAID HE THOUGHT PATRICK MAHOMES HAD THE MOST UPSIDE OF ANY QUARTERBACK.WELL, THEY FAILED FROM THAT ASPECT TOO WITH CLEVELAND BECAUSE KANSAS CITY LEAPFROGGED THEM GOING FROM I THINK #25 (#27) TO #10 TO GO TO THE BUFFALO BILLS SPOT. SO NOT ONLY DID CLEVELAND MISS ON TRUBISKY, THEN THEY MISSED ON MAHOMES WHO THEIR HEAD COACH WANTED.”This explanation falls right in line with the information coming out of Cleveland before the draft. Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com among others stated Trubisky was in serious consideration for the #1 pick. Some in the organization were nervous they could miss getting him if they chose to go the expected route of taking Myles Garrett.Failed to pay the priceThe infatuation of Haslam with Trubisky made perfect sense. Trubisky is an Ohio native who grew up not too far from Cleveland proper. The Browns were his favorite team. It’s a movie script that basically writes itself. A hometown boy grows up to take over at quarterback of his childhood team. The stuff dreams can be made. Also something that city seems to thrive on, having seen Bernie Kosar and LeBron James reach similar success.It’s understandable the Browns felt confident they could move back up for Trubisky. They had more than enough draft capital to do so. Unfortunately it seems they weren’t able to meet the price demanded by 49ers GM John Lynch. They also failed to recognize the Bears were interested until it was far too late. A testament to the deception plan hatched by Pace and his staff. Often the biggest key to battlefield success is the element of surprise.Suffice to say the Browns were stunned when Chicago jumped to #2 to ruin their promise. Lying to somebody like Haslam has not proven to be a good thing these days. After all the man has replaced the head coach and GM positions three times since he bought the franchise back in 2012. He expects results. Thus far they have gotten many.Link: sportsmockery.com/2017/05/ryan-paces-trubisky-move-infuriated-cleveland-browns-owner/

I am still interested in knowing what, if any, free agent WR's are available.  The Bears need to bring in as much talent as possible for evaluation at this position.  

White is still an unknown commodity at this time, Wright is ok, Wheaton meh.  Merrideth had a good season, but it came after the others ahead of him were lost to injuries - can he solidify his place?

K.D Cannon was an UDFA released by SF.   Initially thought to be a prospective impact player, what's the story on him?   Could he be someone to bring in for a tryout this weekend?  

Here's what the Bears currently have at WR

Kevin White

Cameron Meredith

Eddie Royal

Kendall Wright

Markus Wheaton

Rueben Randle

Deonte Thompson

Josh Bellamy

Daniel Braverman

I thought Wright was an extremely smart pick up. The guy has 1st round pedigree and has shown some really nice flashes in the past. Injuries have been a concern along with his attitude but I thought he was a good flier. Wheaton and Randle are garbage people and shouldn't be here

I thought Wright was an extremely smart pick up. The guy has 1st round pedigree and has shown some really nice flashes in the past. Injuries have been a concern along with his attitude but I thought he was a good flier. Wheaton and Randle are garbage people and shouldn't be here
Agree with this completely 

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-rostermoves/Bears-sign-LB-Skuta-to-one-year-deal/3005e077-2b55-41a0-a44f-1a35f8bb4bd0

Bears sign LB Skuta to one-year deal

Posted 4 hours ago

Larry MayerBears Senior Writer

•  
  •  

The Bears on Monday signed veteran free-agent linebacker Dan Skuta to a one-year contract.

LB Dan Skuta

The 6-2, 252-pounder has appeared in 112 games with 32 starts over eight NFL seasons with the Bengals (2009-12), 49ers (2013-14) and Jaguars (2015-16). He has registered 200 tackles, seven sacks and six forced fumbles.

Skuta, 31, had his best season with San Francisco in 2014, recording 33 tackles and a career-high five sacks while playing for current Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio.

Skuta entered the NFL with the Bengals in 2009 as an undrafted free agent from Grand Valley State. He grew up in Michigan, attending Carman-Ainsworth High School in Flint.

Hawkeye21 said:
Man, this thread got quiet.  Everyone must still be sulking after the draft.  After reading a few articles it seems that Pace may have made the right move in getting his guy.  He wanted Trubisky and made sure he got him.

The Bears Trubisky pick is still making headlines across the NFL with a full week having transpired since it was made. Needless to say the opinions have varied. Some experts panned the move, citing it reckless and way too expensive. Others admire the aggressiveness of GM Ryan Pace to finally try solving a position that has haunted Chicago for decades. Regardless of stance, the choice caused a stir.What people couldn’t be sure of is whether or not the trade by Pace to go from #3 to #2 overall was worth it. Most claimed they basically bid against themselves. Gave up valuable picks for a player who would’ve been available had they stayed put. Details over the past few days though seem to argue against that stance. Not only did the Titans and Jaguars stop receiving trade calls from teams after the Trubisky pick, word is it completely ruined the weekend for one team in particular.Bears Trubisky pick shattered a promise to Browns ownerFormer Bears quarterback Jim Miller, now an analyst for CSN Chicago, heard from his sources on draft day that Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was furious his team wasn’t able to get back up the board to land Trubisky. He explained on the Bears Talk podcast why Pace made the right move.“NO I’M NOT BECAUSE I WAS TOLD SPECIFICALLY ON DRAFT DAY THAT THE OWNER OF THE CLEVELAND BROWNS WAS VERY UPSET, JIMMY HASLAM, THAT THEY DIDN’T GET MITCHELL TRUBISKY. HE WAS PROMISED THAT THEY WERE GOING TO GET HIM. IT DIDN’T HAPPEN. EVEN HUE JACKSON CAME OUT TODAY AND SAID HE THOUGHT PATRICK MAHOMES HAD THE MOST UPSIDE OF ANY QUARTERBACK.WELL, THEY FAILED FROM THAT ASPECT TOO WITH CLEVELAND BECAUSE KANSAS CITY LEAPFROGGED THEM GOING FROM I THINK #25 (#27) TO #10 TO GO TO THE BUFFALO BILLS SPOT. SO NOT ONLY DID CLEVELAND MISS ON TRUBISKY, THEN THEY MISSED ON MAHOMES WHO THEIR HEAD COACH WANTED.”This explanation falls right in line with the information coming out of Cleveland before the draft. Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com among others stated Trubisky was in serious consideration for the #1 pick. Some in the organization were nervous they could miss getting him if they chose to go the expected route of taking Myles Garrett.Failed to pay the priceThe infatuation of Haslam with Trubisky made perfect sense. Trubisky is an Ohio native who grew up not too far from Cleveland proper. The Browns were his favorite team. It’s a movie script that basically writes itself. A hometown boy grows up to take over at quarterback of his childhood team. The stuff dreams can be made. Also something that city seems to thrive on, having seen Bernie Kosar and LeBron James reach similar success.It’s understandable the Browns felt confident they could move back up for Trubisky. They had more than enough draft capital to do so. Unfortunately it seems they weren’t able to meet the price demanded by 49ers GM John Lynch. They also failed to recognize the Bears were interested until it was far too late. A testament to the deception plan hatched by Pace and his staff. Often the biggest key to battlefield success is the element of surprise.Suffice to say the Browns were stunned when Chicago jumped to #2 to ruin their promise. Lying to somebody like Haslam has not proven to be a good thing these days. After all the man has replaced the head coach and GM positions three times since he bought the franchise back in 2012. He expects results. Thus far they have gotten many.Link: sportsmockery.com/2017/05/ryan-paces-trubisky-move-infuriated-cleveland-browns-owner/
Yet I hear the SF GM say that Pace called him before the draft and said if there's any interest in #2 let me know.  So the day of the draft the SF GM called him and told him there was interest.  Might as well ask a 5 year old to let you know if there's interest in an ice cream cone.

I'm not sure what happened in their draft room and I don't really care any more.  It's a done deal.  I'm in preseason mode now.

Yet I hear the SF GM say that Pace called him before the draft and said if there's any interest in #2 let me know.  So the day of the draft the SF GM called him and told him there was interest.  Might as well ask a 5 year old to let you know if there's interest in an ice cream cone.
Are you a Bears fan or do you follow Pace any? He's a very shrewd businessman.  Has a price and doesn't go past it. Irritates me missing out on guys I like in FA but the guy sticks to his evaluations and values for players.  He doesn't get suckered. 

Are you a Bears fan or do you follow Pace any? He's a very shrewd businessman.  Has a price and doesn't go past it. Irritates me missing out on guys I like in FA but the guy sticks to his evaluations and values for players.  He doesn't get suckered. 
What if the price he has is twice the value? 

That's like showing up to a used car lot and telling the guy you are interested in buying a car. You are willing to pay $20k, but the dealer would take $15k.  If you end up paying $20k, you are not a shrewd businessman. You're a fish. 

That's like showing up to a used car lot and telling the guy you are interested in buying a car. You are willing to pay $20k, but the dealer would take $15k.  If you end up paying $20k, you are not a shrewd businessman. You're a fish. 
Waaaat?!  You think what Pace did is equivalent to your example? You can't be serious with that analogy. 

Waaaat?!  You think what Pace did is equivalent to your example? You can't be serious with that analogy. 
Yes. He paid more than he had to. Just because you have the money in your pocket, doesn't mean you spend it all. That is not the definition of a shrewd businessman.

It's more like telling the used car salesman to call me if someone else is interested in the car and I'll bring more money before leaving the lot to get cash.

If Lynch did this, he's not as smart a GM as very ones making him out to be. If he truly milked Pace, and word gets out, no one will ever deal with him again. 

If Lynch did this, he's not as smart a GM as very ones making him out to be. If he truly milked Pace, and word gets out, no one will ever deal with him again. 
They're not getting it. They think it's the same as selling cars. 

That's what I heard.  Now he didn't admit to the interest not being true or scamming him.  Just stated that Pace told him to call him if there was interest in the pick.  Given his background was an environment where pushing the spirit of the rules to the edge was an asset, I suspect he tugged on Pace's jersey when no one was looking.

Yes. He paid more than he had to. Just because you have the money in your pocket, doesn't mean you spend it all. That is not the definition of a shrewd businessman.
My own opinion is that he didn't have to trade up to get Trubisky but the truth is we have no idea what happened.  For you to say that he paid more than he had to is just not accurate because we don't know if another team was going to trade up for him.  It's just an opinion right now.

GMs do this all the time every single draft.  I doubt it would affect too much.  It might deter some teams but if they really want a player then they'll make a deal with them.

Was inevitable the talking heads would get bored and the real information would start to come out start making up different narratives.
Surely the above is more generally true.  I don't recall media suddenly going all-in on "truth" just because an old narrative played its course.

Rumors are already spreading on White not being healthy again.  He wasn't on the field today at all.  Reports say the field was wet and they were being safe with him.

Glennon had some good things to say about White but seemed like pretty typical responses to questions.  I was more impressed with what he was saying about Meredith.  I have a feeling Glennon gets the ball to him a lot this year.  I think Meredith goes over 1,000 yards this year and leads the team.

Meh.  I think he's pretty much done as a really good WR but he certainly adds depth and maybe some competition.  They have a ton of WRs now.
Kind of my thinking as well, though if he is healthier than the last couple of years it could be a short term boom.

Apparently the Bears are now keeping Connor Shaw.  It seems that soon after the news of them dropping him they said that Sanchez hurt his knee so they needed to keep him on the roster.

Should keep Shaw over Sanchez anyway. Terrible 
Agreed, I like what Shaw has done (albeit in limited action).   

Maybe the Bears hope to catch reap of the "mentoring" skills Sanchez brought to Dallas last year for Dak.   Kind of a crappy reason in my opinion: let's mentor the future with a QB who has been less than stellar.

It's not like Trub is going to sit behind Manning or Farve (see two pretty o.k. QB's we could name).  Trub has to navigate this on his own...

Back to Shaw:  I thought he was a good fit as a #2 and the Bears should use this as a reason to re-think their ineptitude.

Sanchez at 3rd string isn't helping Trubisky at 2nd string while Glennon starts. That would be so odd. Sanchez never been any good and now already hurt. If Shaw can light it up with his reps, cut Sanchez 

Hey don't forget that 2 years ago, Sanchez tricked a few people into thinking he was good at football again... I still wish more than anything that the Bears had saved money by seeing Kaep could come back to the land of the productive NFL QBs as a stopgap then let the draft come to them. We could've ended up with Trubisky or Mahomes without throwing away picks or (even better) Jamal Adams and either Kizer or Webb. We aren't as deep into a rebuild as everyone seems to think we are but we still have a lot of work to do and a risky draft could bite us big time

Have an injury-free camp, boys...  Right.

Really like Cohen, that kid's going to break some ankles; hopefully not his own.

Howard training the Payton way...  Nice.

WRs...  Throw mediocre ####e against the wall and see what sticks.  Of the FAs, Wheaton has the most upside.  Cruz is a gimp while Wright is boom/bust and usually nursing a boo-boo.

Floyd bulked up but is still only 250?  Ok...  The other Howard (Jaye) could have a nice impact if his hippy-hippy shake isn't gone.

Cooper, Amukamara & Demps could be huge, allowing our improving D-line to get to the QB which hopefully translates into more sacks, fumbles & INTs.

Glennon will be a handoff machine and game manager until we fall behind.  Will be throwing pick-sixes when forced to throw, just like Bobblehead.  Trubisky starts the week before Thanksgiving.

Bobblehead's first official broadcast starts with us against da choking Birds.  At least Quinn (my choice instead of Fox, if you'll recall) shaped them up to nearly win a SB in just 2 seasons.  Anyway, Bobblehead will probably fumble his mic or his verbal delivery at least twice.

Will be fun if the Smashmouth Footshooters can get and hold a lead.  Expecting 4-6 wins, but stranger things have happened, like in 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears OLB Pernell McPhee is beginning camp on the active/PUP list b/c of a knee injury, the team says. A surprise bc he practiced in spring.

Should've cut this guy and spent it elsewhere before now. Total dud and waste of a signing. 

Bears OLB Pernell McPhee is beginning camp on the active/PUP list b/c of a knee injury, the team says. A surprise bc he practiced in spring.

Should've cut this guy and spent it elsewhere before now. Total dud and waste of a signing. 
I know he's been injured a lot while with the Bears but when he's playing you can't deny that he's a really good football player.  In limited playing time he got 4 sacks and a forced fumble last year and 6 sacks with an INT and forced fumble the year before.

Seems like he was always injury prone. He's been productive when on the field but, to paraphrase Andy Reid here, the best attribute for any player is availability. Willie Young is next up right? I'm wondering if Christian Jones gets another shot at starting on the outside. 

I know he's been injured a lot while with the Bears but when he's playing you can't deny that he's a really good football player.  In limited playing time he got 4 sacks and a forced fumble last year and 6 sacks with an INT and forced fumble the year before.
When he was healthy during part of his first season, he was really good. The problem is he's had a history of knee problems and it just continued after he was signed to a big contract.  If Pace would quit taking shots on players with long injury histories and put that money into more expensive but healthier players on the market, he wouldn't be in the mess he's in. 

When he was healthy during part of his first season, he was really good. The problem is he's had a history of knee problems and it just continued after he was signed to a big contract.  If Pace would quit taking shots on players with long injury histories and put that money into more expensive but healthier players on the market, he wouldn't be in the mess he's in. 
And if McPhee never had another health problem after Pace signed him everyone would be calling him a genius.  McPhee has shown he's good enough when he plays.  Sometimes it's worth taking a shot on a guy.  I remember when a lot of people didn't like the Freeman signing because he was getting old, that was a shot that seemed to work out.

And if McPhee never had another health problem after Pace signed him everyone would be calling him a genius.  McPhee has shown he's good enough when he plays.  Sometimes it's worth taking a shot on a guy.  I remember when a lot of people didn't like the Freeman signing because he was getting old, that was a shot that seemed to work out.
I'm not even sure what that means. If he hadn't gotten injured? He did.  When you sign guys with a long injury history and they keep getting injured, it's on you.  He's done it every free agency period and it's mostly backfired. 

I'm not even sure what that means. If he hadn't gotten injured? He did.  When you sign guys with a long injury history and they keep getting injured, it's on you.  He's done it every free agency period and it's mostly backfired. 
You don't know what that means?  It means you're attitude would be completely different if he didn't get injured as he would have been a major contributor to the team.  It means that sometimes risks pay off and sometimes they don't.  When they work you think the GM is a genius and when they don't you think he's an idiot.  I don't see an issue with the signing as he still can be a major contributor to the team when healthy.

Alshon Jeffery?

Users who are viewing this thread