What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (17 Viewers)

Bidding war on these superstars!  None of these guys are going to make a huge difference and they'll be expensive. 

Secondary FA Targets:

Tony Jefferson

Logan Ryan

Malcolm Butler

AJ Bouye

Stephon Gilmore

Dre Kirkpatrick 

Maurice Claiborne 

John Cyprien

Amukamara

WR

Robert Woods

Kenny Stills

Terrell Pryor 

LB

Hightower 

TE

Doyle

Fasano

DL

Brandon Williams 

Dontario Poe

Calais Campbell 

RT

Rick Wagner

Riley Reiff

Russell Okung

Last edited by a moderator:
TE is right up there with the top needs. Don't expect Bears to recognize this, though. 
I hate to pile on while reading (interested in the take on not trying to re-sign Jeffery), but as a Panthers fan, I am still very thankful that the Bears didn't recognize TE as a big need. Greg's been very appreciated here.

I hate to pile on while reading (interested in the take on not trying to re-sign Jeffery), but as a Panthers fan, I am still very thankful that the Bears didn't recognize TE as a big need. Greg's been very appreciated here.
It's the "Bear Way." 

Bears need to let Alshon walk and draft Davis.  Class is deep at Defense and weak at QB & OL.  Davis, imo, is going to be a perennial Pro Bowl beast of a WR.  We can get a QB next season after securing another top 5 pick.

I just don't see that happening. Spent a top 10 pick on a wr 2 years ago. These guys don't care about 5 years from now. They're drafting or trading for a qb this year, whether it's the best move or not. 

And I'll admit I have NO f-ing good idea on how to deal with QB... I don't like any of the options, drafting one at the #3 pick, trading that #3 pick to draft one later or for a player, none of the FA's out there look like the "answer" to me.

I think the only option I kinda like, though it may not make us much better next year is to just grab one of the FA available vets, and try to draft a mid round value pick.  But admittedly that could result in the same crap ### team we've had the last couple years.  Or maybe take a shot on trading a mid-draft pick for one of the backups that isn't Garapolo.
I think we need a QB and that #3 pick is where it needs to come from.  I see our best options as this:

1a) Pick DeShaun Watson at #3.  I think the kid has "it".  Plain and simple.  I'd love to see him with the Beloved.

1b) Trade that #3 pick for Garoppolo.  Some say the pick is too high, but he has been in the league being coached up by great coaches and has had success at the NFL level, albeit in a small sample size.  I could make an argument that he is easily worth the shot in the dark QB who has zero experience.  

Long story short, we need a QB.  I would have no issues with Pace picking QBs in the first or second round every year until they get it right.  Until we get one we are doomed to 9-7 at the very best. We need that guy who can be the leader.  I'd kill for Mike Tomczak at this point.

Mike Martz didn't need him.

We do need a QB but that doesn't mean we should reach for one st tge 1.03 spot. We should be drafting BPA at 1.03, not reaching for a QB just because that's what we need. You should draft the strength of this class or trade picks. Draft more like the Patriots not like the Browns. 

3 pick should be earmarked for Allen or the big safety. 

As for qb, I would try to trade for Garrapolo or Cousins without giving up the 3 pick first. If not possible I'd poke around Mike Glennon and maybe Romo. If that works I draft a qb in the 3rd. 

I was pretty impressed with AJ McCarron when he got a chance last year and would definitely be interested if he was really available. 

If it were me as the GM Id be taking the best player with that 3rd overall pick.  I think it's going to be Allen but if he's not there then I'm taking Adams or Lattimore.  

In the second round I'm hoping a QB dropped in the draft and I can get one there or I'm looking for the best DB if I didn't take one in the fist round.  I would also strongly consider trying to trade this pick with another future pick for JG if the Pats are interested.  I'm not sure that will be enough for the the Pats though.  

In the third I would grab Zay Jones if he's still available but I'm not sure he falls that far now.  I would look at the other best WRs available or take the OT Garcia if still there.

Fourth round I'm looking for a WR again if I didn't take one in round 3.  This could also be a round to take a QB if I haven't gotten one yet but I think it would probably be a wasted pick overall.  A guy I love that could be available in this round is Jaleel Johnson from Iowa.

If they don't get Garoppolo or trade down, I see no scenario where they don't draft a qb at 3. Definitely not a safety. 

Article from Durkin  here pretty much nails it on Alshon and how disorganized Pace and the Bears appear to be at accomplishing their goal, whatever that may be. 

In an offseason filled with crucial and telling organizational decisions, Bears general manager Ryan Pace made a big one. The Bears have reportedly elected to let wide receiver Alshon Jeffery become a free agent. Odds are, he has likely played his last snap for the Bears.

In a weak free agent class, particularly at wide receiver, Jeffery immediately becomes the top available target at his position and one of the biggest names on the open market. Even though the Bears have an estimated $60 million in free cap space currently, allowing 31 other teams to set the market for Jeffery will likely price him out of their budget. He’s going to command around $14 million per season and likely $40 million guaranteed. Teams like the Titans, Rams, Panthers, Ravens and Eagles will immediately start discussing possibilities and contract parameters.

The Bears have had since Jan. 2 to exclusively negotiate with Jeffery, yet nothing materialized. At the Senior Bowl in late January, Pace told reporters there had been no contract negotiations with Jeffery. Since Pace arrived in Chicago, availability has been Jeffery’s issue. In 2015, he struggled with soft-tissue injuries that cost him seven games, while this past season, he missed four games due to a performance-enhancing drug (PED) suspension. Pace missed his opportunity to lock Jeffery up two offseasons ago and that decision has now come full circle.

Productivity, however, has never been an issue for Jeffery. When he’s on the field, he’s a true, coverage-dictating No. 1 option who changes the math for an offense. He forces a defense into “two over one” (meaning a safety rolled over the top to where he’s aligned) coverage situations. He’s proven capable of winning in double-coverage situations and also creates opportunities for his teammates to win in single coverage

This move signals a few things, primarily where the team views itself. The Bears aren’t close to winning and they know it. They view Jeffery as a luxury rather than a necessity and want to allocate their cap dollars elsewhere.

The problem with that approach is peeling away offensive skill players has become the norm since Pace and John Fox arrived before the 2015 season. Gone are Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte, Martellus Bennett and now likely Jeffery and quarterback Jay Cutler. Who have they replaced those pieces with? Other than 2016 rookie running back Jordan Howard, nobody commensurate with the performance of their predecessors. Having a centerpiece running back like Howard is a start, but having a receiver who can make a team pay over the top for dropping a safety into the box is even better. 

Furthermore, the Bears are preparing to bring in their quarterback of the future. How is allowing the only proven playmaker in your passing game to wear a different team’s jersey next fall conducive to said quarterback’s success? This was a topic Pace discussed, albeit in a meandering manner, this past January.

“If you are talking about adding a quarterback, you want to make sure your roster is equipped to handle that quarterback,” Pace said. “When you come into a situation where there are a lot of holes and there are a lot of heavy lifting that needs to take place and you’re trying to fill needs all over the roster, hey, when the position comes and it’s right for us to strike a quarterback, the environment’s more conducive for that quarterback to have success.”

How is the environment more conducive for a quarterback to have success in Chicago now than it was back in 2015 when the team had better talent and offensive coaches? Pace said everything hinges on getting the quarterback position right this offseason, yet he’s likely making it more difficult for that player to succeed. The messaging and actions simply aren’t in sync.

Perhaps Pace and Fox aren’t on as hot of seats this fall as perceived. Why else would they be comfortable moving on from Jeffery with the current wide receiver depth chart they have unless they have some assurances about their future beyond this season? That depth chart currently stands at Kevin White, Cam Meredith, Eddie Royal (a possible cap casualty), Daniel Braverman, Dres Anderson, Rueben Randle, and Josh Bellamy (who is an exclusive rights free agent). Best of luck to you in Chicago, mystery quarterback.

The team will now be forced to look to a weak crop of free agent wide receivers led by Kenny Stills, Kenny Britt and Terrelle Pryor. Players who are nowhere near as productive as Jeffery. The Bears will likely look to the middle rounds of draft as well, but is adding more inexperience to an already unproven group a prudent approach?

Bringing in a new quarterback typically buys a general manager — and sometimes a coach — a few years. But why has this this group earned a full benefit of the doubt? It’s year three of this regime. The honeymoon is over. Results must match the rhetoric. Nine wins in 32 tries suggests things aren’t going to plan or that the plan itself was flawed.

Pace has maintained that he is seeking playmakers on both sides of the ball. So far on offense, only Howard falls into that category. Jeffery is a proven playmaker still heading into the prime years of his career. Decisions like this from Pace simply create holes on a roster that already has craters, which isn’t a wise approach.

Funny how Flapgreen lists all the free agent positions that are a waste of money. But complains about not signing one player, at one position. Time will tell what happens to Alshon. But at this time, for the price he's asking, he's not worth it. 

I've been saying this for a while and still think it's the best course of action; sign Glennon, BPA (Allen?) at #3, and Mahome in the second if he's still there. The Bears need all their picks and can't afford to trade any of them away.

Funny how Flapgreen lists all the free agent positions that are a waste of money. But complains about not signing one player, at one position. Time will tell what happens to Alshon. But at this time, for the price he's asking, he's not worth it. 
Check back in when you have something of value to add and not meaningless chatter directed at me. 

Letting the biggest playmaker on offense and probably the most talented player on your team walk for what amounts to barely over 1% of your total cap space is lunacy.   If you would quit worrying about me, KC, you might get it through your thick skill that we're going further into a rebuild in year 3 when we should be coming out of it. On what's still one of the least talented teams in the league, we may be letting our most talented player walk. If Pace does this, he's a fool and will be fired like the rest of them after a couple more years.  

Letting the biggest playmaker on offense and probably the most talented player on your team walk for what amounts to barely over 1% of your total cap space is lunacy.   If you would quit worrying about me, KC, you might get it through your thick skill that we're going further into a rebuild in year 3 when we should be coming out of it. On what's still one of the least talented teams in the league, we may be letting our most talented player walk. If Pace does this, he's a fool and will be fired like the rest of them after a couple more years.  
:lmao:

Cost doesn't matter when the value is negative.

I'm not worried about you. I just check in every now and again to point out the flaws in your complaints. I think there's value in that. I guess I could go the other extreme to offset your posts. 

"This is the greatest run team in the history of the NFL. I'm thinking we are one or two pieces (probably a WR) away from a Championship" 

How far do we think Chad Kelly falls? Corey Davis in the 1st and Chad Kelly in the 3rd would be amazing. I think Kelly is probably the best QB in this class. Someone is going to get a bargain with him. 

Davis won't go at 3. Bears just aren't spending the 3rd pick on a wr.  Who was the last wr to go top 3 besides Calvin?  Kelly won't go until really late and not the kind of guy the Bears will take. He just got arrested and lost his invite to the combine. 

Why not tag him?

How far do we think Chad Kelly falls? Corey Davis in the 1st and Chad Kelly in the 3rd would be amazing. I think Kelly is probably the best QB in this class. Someone is going to get a bargain with him. 
Maybe it's just me but that sounds like an absolute terrible draft.  Taking another WR with a top 10 pick when there are greater needs seems like a bad idea.  Kelly is not the best QB in the class and has huge character issues.  You might as well be the Browns drafting Manziel.

I like the idea of taking Allen first and then Mahomes if they are available.  Would have to lucky for that though.

Pace was careful not to put a timeline on Kyle Long's recovery(ies) but there's no guarantee he'll be ready for training camp.

#Chiefs are not expected to franchise tag Dontari Poe. The #Ravens are not expected to tag Brandon Williams. Big DTs hitting the FA market

I'm not worried about you. I just check in every now and again to point out the flaws in your complaints. I think there's value in that. I guess I could go the other extreme to offset your posts. 

"This is the greatest run team in the history of the NFL. I'm thinking we are one or two pieces (probably a WR) away from a Championship" 
I'm curious what you think the smart thing to do is.  Do you just let all players go that want more than you feel they are worth?  That's a terrible way to run a team.  Some times you just need to pay players, especially if you have the money.

It's like everyone forgot years 2 and 3 of his career where he was pretty dominant.  His stats have been pretty consistent besides the TD's.  When he plays, and is used, he's a really good WR, one of the better in the league for what he does.  He had ONE injured year, yeah it was bad, but it happens, he had just come off of two years being available 16 games/year.  While I don't like the suspension last year, and you can say "it was for PED's if he wasn't cheating he would have been injured", come on there are so many types of supplements he can take for that stuff that are legal.  Yeah he's dumb as hell for getting busted for an illegal one, but it's simple to work with the team to pick a similar supplement that could likely do the same thing, if it was even doing much in the first place.

Why not tag him?
I was personally more against tagging him then letting him go.  If they couldn't work out a deal this year, there is no way they'd be able to do it next year.  I'm sorry, they know who he is by now.  I'd rather have him just gone and now we need to try to fix the hole, then have him on a team, bring in a new qb that starts to get used to him, then for year 2 he's gone and we regress on offense.

More bad news for the Bears.  Long struggling with ankle surgery and decided not to get shoulder surgery. Another season of tanking and a top 5 pick. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-kyle-long-shoulder-spt-20170228-story.html
Yeah this is HUGE to me...  He was really bad at the beginning of this year with that shoulder, they probably should have just shut him down when that happened and gotten it repaired.  Now he's planning to go into another year without repairing it???  Not to mention the fact he's no where near back in shape.  Especially for a player that I think has relied on dominant strength an athleticism over great technique, this could be a big problem.  Would almost be better off playing one of the backups until that shoulder is fixed.

2017 NFL CAP officially set at 167M. With the rollover from last years the Bears have a total of 175.1M and 51.3M in total space free. If you cut Cutler, Royal, and Houston then you add 24M to that free space and you are at 75.3M in available space.  Plenty of money to sign whoever they want.

The Tick said:
It's like everyone forgot years 2 and 3 of his career where he was pretty dominant.  His stats have been pretty consistent besides the TD's.  When he plays, and is used, he's a really good WR, one of the better in the league for what he does.  He had ONE injured year, yeah it was bad, but it happens, he had just come off of two years being available 16 games/year.  While I don't like the suspension last year, and you can say "it was for PED's if he wasn't cheating he would have been injured", come on there are so many types of supplements he can take for that stuff that are legal.  Yeah he's dumb as hell for getting busted for an illegal one, but it's simple to work with the team to pick a similar supplement that could likely do the same thing, if it was even doing much in the first place.
Pretty dominant? He was unstoppable! Had a down year in 2015 and still changed the game plan when he was in the field. If they hadn't any clue how to get him the ball or a qb worth a damn throwing to him, we wouldn't even be talking about the 4 game suspension right now. He's a true #1 that completely changes what defenses do.  Look at the free agent list now and name one guy on there who would effect a game more than Alshon.  They're not on there.  You can't build a team through free agency.  Been shown time and time again. If we don't sign Alshon, we'll end up signing a guy who may or may not be a great long-term player. We know what he's capable of. Pay the damn man! This roster is ####. 

Pryor is the only viable replacement I see for Jeffery and he's still not as good.  He is bigger, faster and healthier than Jeffery though.  The major problem I see is how much would it cost to sign Pryor?

I'm curious what you think the smart thing to do is.  Do you just let all players go that want more than you feel they are worth?  That's a terrible way to run a team.  Some times you just need to pay players, especially if you have the money.
The first thing we need to do is realize we don't know everything. We don't know what any of these players are like in the locker room, or what kind of baggage they carry off the field. Sure there may be bad GM's and coaches out there, but they still have a hell of a lot more experience than we do. One thing I do know, is that even if I applied, no NFL team would even interview me for a GM or Head coaching position. I think that applies to 99.9% of the people on this board.  Once we understand this, then everything else is opinion. Uneducated, uninformed, half assed opinion. Including mine. 

I stated a couple of pages back that the Bears need to invest in OL. That hasn't changed and the news today of Long's slow recovery just proves my point. You can never have too many starters on your OL. From there build your DL and DB. Then LB and lastly your QB and WR's. I have no doubts, we are not fixing this problem overnight no matter who we sign. It will take 3 years before we see a winning season. 

I never said that they should let everyone go and not pay them. I trust that those paid to evaluate are not paying players for a reason. We could apply the same principle to Cutler, I don't see too many people crying over the possible release of Jay. Just like Jeffery at WR, he is probably the best option the Bears have available for the 2017 season at QB. The problem is, when he's playing well, he's great. When he's not it sucks. So, it comes down to value. Jay has more games where he sucks and he's not worth the price. Same situation with Jeffery. When he plays he's great. When he doesn't we get nothing out of him. The coaching staff and other players on this team probably know where his heart is at. He may be looking for this one big payday and he will fade into the background forever. I respect that the Bears don't want to be left holding the bag. Especially since he's in the NFL drug program already.  Too many negatives and not enough positives. 

I don't need to come in here and reiterate my stance every day by bashing each move the team makes. I don't see how that's constructive. I would love to see the Bears dominate again, but nothing I do will have an effect on that. I'd rather go through life being happy. 

Have a good evening. Bear Down!

Maybe it's just me but that sounds like an absolute terrible draft.  Taking another WR with a top 10 pick when there are greater needs seems like a bad idea.  Kelly is not the best QB in the class and has huge character issues.  You might as well be the Browns drafting Manziel.

I like the idea of taking Allen first and then Mahomes if they are available.  Would have to lucky for that though.
We need a WR to replace Alshon, correct?  I'm a huge fan of Davis, so from my perspective he's a big upgrade over Alshon. I think Davis is the best WR to come out since the class with Beckham and co.  

I think Kelly is the best QB in this class and thanks to his bar fight, he can be had at a major discount. Agree to disagree I guess. 

We need a WR to replace Alshon, correct?  I'm a huge fan of Davis, so from my perspective he's a big upgrade over Alshon. I think Davis is the best WR to come out since the class with Beckham and co.  

I think Kelly is the best QB in this class and thanks to his bar fight, he can be had at a major discount. Agree to disagree I guess. 
When you have the 3rd overall pick do you find it better to take the best player or take a guy that fills a position?  Especially a position that is not their top priority.  They have already tied up a high draft pick in a WR that has been a waste so far.  The WRs are very deep so they can still get a very good one a couple rounds later.  If they took Davis in the first I'd think the Bears were trying to become the Lions from years ago taking WRs every year.

I will admit that Kelly could be a good option if you want to wait a while to take a QB in the draft where there is less risk.  I'm not sure he's a good fit on the team though and could be a wasted pick.

Hopeful I'm wrong and they still re-sign Alshon. You don't talk about adding talent while letting your biggest talent walk out the door. 

You think Trubisky is the best option?
No idea. Best option in a weak QB class. Stay clear of Kizer & Watson. They are inaccurate. The team is not built to win now so Romo is more of a waste of time. Best move is become a serious loser and target Darnold next season...if he comes out.

Wouldn't mind Tyrod Taylor if they would just let him throw more. He throws a great, catchable pass. Seems Garrapolo is not an option unless they hand over the farm to NE.

Praying Kizer will fall to the Bears, but I doubt it. 
Most likely Kizer, Watson and Trubisky will all be taken in the first round.  It's possible that Mahomes goes in the first as well.  If any one of those four fall to the Bears in the second round I would take them.  I'd rather not use the third overall pick on any of them.

At what pick?
7th round. Not sure why anyone would use a pick on a guy that is so inaccurate. K-Stink is inaccurate. All you have to do is watch film of that and see what inaccuracy looks like. It's brutal. You can't fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread