What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (11 Viewers)

So much for the Bears making the playoffs. They are a good defense with a terrible offense. They have a mediocre QB and a below average offensive line. I’m so sick of listening to the Bears brain trust telling us that the offensive line just needs to play better. They suck. You can’t take a group of below average offensive linemen, and get good results. They can’t run the ball because the offensive line can’t control the line of scrimmage. And they can’t pass protect, so the QB is always under pressure. Nothing is going to change until you get better offensive linemen.
First time I got to watch the Bears this year and this is spot on.  One thing I’ll add which has already been mentioned (and I’m stating the obvious) but... the offense is so vanilla.  It looked like they had their preseason game 1 offense in last night. 

So much for the Bears making the playoffs. They are a good defense with a terrible offense. They have a mediocre QB and a below average offensive line. I’m so sick of listening to the Bears brain trust telling us that the offensive line just needs to play better. They suck. You can’t take a group of below average offensive linemen, and get good results. They can’t run the ball because the offensive line can’t control the line of scrimmage. And they can’t pass protect, so the QB is always under pressure. Nothing is going to change until you get better offensive linemen.
...or a QB that can make plays with his legs and arm. This is formula for hiding these deficiencies - see Wilson, Watson, Murray et al.

Montgomery is ungood. Another key offensive bust. When he was getting blown up in the backfield I could understand that it was perhaps the O line, but he just doesn't see his lanes well and runs to contact. Time to dust off Lamar Miller to at least see what he can do. 

That is a boring O being wasted by a great D.   Not sure of the problem on O but lack of talent is a big part.   The lucky wins hid the big faults but if the losses pile up, the coaching staff will be in the cross hairs.  

Explain like I'm 5 why Foles was pissed off about the play calling? 
Because Nagy is sending in plays assuming the line will block long enough for it to develop.  It's not, and he's not making enough changes to the play calling to the realities of what is happening in the game.

Foles needs to keep his mouth shut in public, but i'm not sure that he's wrong.

That is a boring O being wasted by a great D.   Not sure of the problem on O but lack of talent is a big part.   The lucky wins hid the big faults but if the losses pile up, the coaching staff will be in the cross hairs.  
It's been like this for 3 years now.  Even in his "coach of the year" year 1 that offense had problems scoring.  Nagy reminds me of Mike Martz, he's so damn sure that the offense he is running in his head is the best thing since sliced bread, and despite the fact it's FAILING on the field, he refuses to do anything different.  I just remember all that kicker #####ing after the Eagles game and being... umm did anyone in charge even notice the fact we only scored 1 offensive TD in that game???  they wanted to pile the fault all on the kicker that put up the majority of the points for the team that day.

I actually think they guy may really be a pretty good head coach.  Team seems well managed, motivated (even though they suck), and he's been able to hold them together through some really tough runs.  In the end he's going to go down for the same reason as Lovie Smith, unable to find a consistent offensive coordinator, only difference is Nagy himself is the bad OC.

It's been like this for 3 years now.  Even in his "coach of the year" year 1 that offense had problems scoring.  Nagy reminds me of Mike Martz, he's so damn sure that the offense he is running in his head is the best thing since sliced bread, and despite the fact it's FAILING on the field, he refuses to do anything different.  I just remember all that kicker #####ing after the Eagles game and being... umm did anyone in charge even notice the fact we only scored 1 offensive TD in that game???  they wanted to pile the fault all on the kicker that put up the majority of the points for the team that day.

I actually think they guy may really be a pretty good head coach.  Team seems well managed, motivated (even though they suck), and he's been able to hold them together through some really tough runs.  In the end he's going to go down for the same reason as Lovie Smith, unable to find a consistent offensive coordinator, only difference is Nagy himself is the bad OC.
I made the Martz comparison in last night's game thread. The line can't block and the plays do take too long to develop - same thing with Martz but defenses had caught up to his system as well. Foles should be pissed because the play calling has been terrible! 

they should try a couple of wildcat sets with both mitch tromboski and nick foles they could sort of play keep away with the ball over the head of defenders until someone got open and then throw it for a long bomb pass look stranger things have worked in the nfl take that to the bank brohans 

they should try a couple of wildcat sets with both mitch tromboski and nick foles they could sort of play keep away with the ball over the head of defenders until someone got open and then throw it for a long bomb pass look stranger things have worked in the nfl take that to the bank brohans 
This post makes no less sense then our current offensive philosophy.  I'd be willing to let you be OC for the week, why the F not, ANYTHING different then what we've been doing the last bunch of weeks.

SWC said:
love it swcer!

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
We going to have an O-Line this weekend???  Maybe they shouldn't have cut Ginn, he could have been a backup tackle or something.

Is there injuries to the Oline this weekend. Was looking at playing Montgomery over Lindsey but was looking at significant injuries or misses to the Oline. 

If you can get Mooney as insurance for AR, hes a good start if AR can't go Monday night. I'd even play Miller in a pinch. 

Any Bears fans have any insights into who would be the main RB if Montgomery is out?  Cordarelle?  Nall?  Lamar Miller(!)?  None of the above (i.e. committee, hot hand,  etc.)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Bears fans have any insights into who would be the main RB if Montgomery is out?  Cordarelle?  Nall?  Lamar Miller(!)?  None of the above (i.e. committee, hot hand,  etc.)?
Trubisky. Lol. 

Seriously it will probably be a spaghetti at the wall situation, but expect Patterson to see more carries than he should. Nagy doesn't want to run the ball anyway so it's a great excuse, but they do love seeing Patterson run into a wall of tacklers two yards deep in the backfield, so im sure they'll do that a little more than usual. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They activated Lamar Miller. I would assume he gets a shot.

They have had him since early October though, so not sure why he hasn't been active sooner.

The Vikings cut Pat Elflien and maybe he could help the Bears whos offensive line seems to be in bad shape right now.

Boy, Lazor as the play caller made a world of difference. After the bye, Mitch is back I think. But, it doesn’t matter. When you can’t block anyone this is what you get. Year after year, they ignore the offensive line. Just pitiful.

Team is years away from competing again.  No qb. OL in shambles. Cap is in terrible shape. Unlikely to have a top 10 pick next year. Good luck, Bears. Only watched parts of a couple games this year and it's unlikely I'll even give you that much of my time in the coming years. Just a bunch of rejects. 

Team is years away from competing again.  No qb. OL in shambles. Cap is in terrible shape. Unlikely to have a top 10 pick next year. Good luck, Bears. Only watched parts of a couple games this year and it's unlikely I'll even give you that much of my time in the coming years. Just a bunch of rejects. 
Crazy how fast this team went downhill.   Things can change fast in the NFL.   The Bears may get back on track next season. 

Worst Bears offense in history and on par with the '04 Quinn/Krentzel team. What a pathetic excuse for a football team this is. 

For sure, I took a lot of crap for saying that was a bad deal at the time. 
So didn't anybody in the Raider thread besides a guy or two willing to give Gruden the benefit of the doubt. I was one of them, actually. I thought the Raiders made out well all things considered. Even if they got nobody for him, two guys that maxing out your cap like that is bad to have (would have been Carr and Mack).

So didn't anybody in the Raider thread besides a guy or two willing to give Gruden the benefit of the doubt. I was one of them, actually. I thought the Raiders made out well all things considered. Even if they got nobody for him, two guys that maxing out your cap like that is bad to have (would have been Carr and Mack).
I lost my mind when the Raiders traded Mack and am still irritated as I watch my Raiders struggle to pressure QBs.  However, it does look like Gruden made a logical decision since one player cannot carry a team to a SB.  Mack was not worth the money even if he is a great player.  

To be fair, I didn't give Gruden any credit. 😂

I lost my mind when the Raiders traded Mack and am still irritated as I watch my Raiders struggle to pressure QBs.  However, it does look like Gruden made a logical decision since one player cannot carry a team to a SB.  Mack was not worth the money even if he is a great player.  
I hear you. I'd have been mad watching the Jets do that with somebody I didn't necessarily trust as the GM/Coach yet. But as for the Raiders, I'd be madder that they turned that first round luxury into Clelin Ferrell. So far, no bueno.

To be fair, I didn't give Gruden any credit. 😂
And like I just said in the post above, maybe he had the right idea, but his personnel decisions with that extra first-rounder have been a bit suspect in delivering first-round quality. Jacobs is a starting RB. Some people hate that draft capital on an RB. I'll let that debate eat itself. But from what I can suss out (and I don't know which exact picks led to what) Ferrell and the corner Arnette haven't been great in terms of immediate impact. But they've still got time. 

Bears need to lose out so they can get a top 10 pick. Fire Pace and Nagy. Draft another qb. Should have ability to get at least one of the top 4 guys. Maybe get Joe Brady for HC.  I have no idea at GM.  But I think they should be able to grab Mac Jones at qb, at the worst. 

Sitting at 14th pick right now. I could see them getting to pick 9 or 10 if this continues and maybe a chance at a top 3 qb.  Many of the teams picking in the top 10 at the moment already have their qb. 

Users who are viewing this thread