What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (17 Viewers)

The ideal situation (barring one of the top 5 falling to 20), is for the Bears to trade down from 20 into the upper second. Grab an OT with the higher second round pick and Mond with 52. Use the extra picks ( likely a 3rd and 4th) from the trade down to stack up on WR, CB, and OL talent. If Mond is a bust, Dalton will still be serviceable and there will be opportunity next season to draft another QB. 
I don't hate it - but don't like trading out of round one altogether.  I would like to drop down and maybe grab Cosmi - assuming it 's a trade down of half a dozen spots or so they could pick up a third.

Id rather see them trade down than trade up, unless it was only a couple slots and didnt involve an additional 1st. There is one native first round pick on this team, two if you count Mack. You cant keep trading away future starters to plug holes. 

I don't hate it - but don't like trading out of round one altogether.  I would like to drop down and maybe grab Cosmi - assuming it 's a trade down of half a dozen spots or so they could pick up a third.
Any other year, any other team and I'd agree. This draft is arguably deep in all the positions the Bears need (OL, WR, CB). To trade down into the upper second and pull an additional 2nd, 3rd and 4th would really help fill the holes in this roster. Those middle rounds are also Pace's forte. 

Another mock - yahoo - with fields falling out of top 10 to ne at 15.  They do say he likely goes a few spots higher due to a trade.

I expect the bears to pursue a trade up if this happens

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dude said:
Another mock - yahoo - with fields falling out of top 10 to ne at 15.  They do say he likely goes a few spots higher due to a trade.

I expect the bears to pursue a trade up if this happens
Man, I hope not, I don't think giving up picks to get the 4th QB off the board is going to be a successful move personally.  I really think they need to sit tight on that pick and see what falls to them.  We need more picks not less to fix this team.

Just cause it’s  slow in here.

New mock from yahoo or something has bears trading picks 1 and 2 for giants 1.11 to get Mac Jones.  That works on the trade value chart - but it’s tight and might cost us a later pick next year.

I would be on board for that.

Just cause it’s  slow in here.

New mock from yahoo or something has bears trading picks 1 and 2 for giants 1.11 to get Mac Jones.  That works on the trade value chart - but it’s tight and might cost us a later pick next year.

I would be on board for that.
I like Jones.   He may not be a gifted athlete but he seems to make good decisions and is accurate.   Of course, being surrounded by elite talent could have made him look better than he is.  Seems like a safe and logical pick.   As a Raider fan, my idea of a safe and logical pick is probably way off.

I like Jones.   He may not be a gifted athlete but he seems to make good decisions and is accurate.   Of course, being surrounded by elite talent could have made him look better than he is.  Seems like a safe and logical pick.   As a Raider fan, my idea of a safe and logical pick is probably way off.
I recall last year, the pundits felt Mayock went off the board in the first round and reached for somebody - I don't recall who it was - did that pick work out thus far?

I recall last year, the pundits felt Mayock went off the board in the first round and reached for somebody - I don't recall who it was - did that pick work out thus far?
What’s your point?  Didn’t I just state that the Raiders don’t make logical picks?   I haven’t liked most of the Raider draft selections for decades.

The Raiders and Bears are essentially the same team.  They flounder around year after year due to poor management and poor coaching and get to watch well-run teams like GB and KC go to the playoffs.   

What’s your point?  Didn’t I just state that the Raiders don’t make logical picks?   I haven’t liked most of the Raider draft selections for decades.

The Raiders and Bears are essentially the same team.  They flounder around year after year due to poor management and poor coaching and get to watch well-run teams like GB and KC go to the playoffs.   
In didn’t mean any offense - it was an honest question.

Bears could have gotten Teddy B for 3 million this year and a 6th round pick... 🤬
But hey, we got the Red, freakin',  Rifle at QB now. Only cost a mere 10 million. 

Anyway,  I get a bad feeling we're giving up a first this year and next to get into the top 10 and grab the 5th best qb. I hate it, but I feel it's inevitable. 

But hey, we got the Red, freakin',  Rifle at QB now. Only cost a mere 10 million. 

Anyway,  I get a bad feeling we're giving up a first this year and next to get into the top 10 and grab the 5th best qb. I hate it, but I feel it's inevitable. 
I feel it’s more inevitable that they draft like, a right guard or something. 

The Bears are fascinating to me. 

Man, I hope not, I don't think giving up picks to get the 4th QB off the board is going to be a successful move personally.  I really think they need to sit tight on that pick and see what falls to them.  We need more picks not less to fix this team.
Many feel that Fields is the second best QB in this class. 

In didn’t mean any offense - it was an honest question.
No offense taken.  I thought it was obvious that I hate most Raider draft selections.   If you wander into the Raiders thread you can read dozens of my posts on my feelings about Ruggs.  I complain so much that a few of my fellow fans despise my posts and probably me.  Lamb was the pick.   It was obvious on draft day and more obvious now. 

No offense taken.  I thought it was obvious that I hate most Raider draft selections.   If you wander into the Raiders thread you can read dozens of my posts on my feelings about Ruggs.  I complain so much that a few of my fellow fans despise my posts and probably me.  Lamb was the pick.   It was obvious on draft day and more obvious now. 
I like Mayock but he can’t go on thinking he’s the smartest guy in the room.  If you want to take a guy too early trade down.

Many feel that Fields is the second best QB in this class. 
My problem is this whole thing is starting to feel like Pace is waiting to see who falls enough for him to move up and claim this was the guy they wanted all along. Moving up is going to be expensive this year, and I hate the idea that (whatever they will claim) they just want one of the top 5 so they can say they got him. Theyll retcon their decision making process later to claim THIS guy was the one and only choice all along, but in reality it doesn't matter.

My problem is this whole thing is starting to feel like Pace is waiting to see who falls enough for him to move up and claim this was the guy they wanted all along. Moving up is going to be expensive this year, and I hate the idea that (whatever they will claim) they just want one of the top 5 so they can say they got him. Theyll retcon their decision making process later to claim THIS guy was the one and only choice all along, but in reality it doesn't matter.
I think it depends on who's available at what spot and how much Pace is willing (allowed?) to pay. I wouldn't be surprised if Pace was instructed not to give away the farm to save his job.

Justin Fields
Rumblings are that SF is leaning toward Jones with the third pick, but if they go with Lance or Fields, I'd I would be OK with the Bears sending their 20th overall this year, a second pick this year, and next year's first to secure get someone like Fields, who was once considered the second best QB in this draft class.
Trade up for Fields: Yes, for the right price.
Available at 20: Of course, but why wait and risk losing him? 
Pace/Nagy: Bought themselves at least one more year on their contract.

Mac Jones
If SF goes with Lance or Fields instead of Jones, I'd rather the Bears wait to see if he drops to 20. If not, take the best OL or WR and take the best available QB in the second round from Mills, Mond, or Trask. If none of these three are available, I'd wait until next year to draft a new QB and just go with Dalton this year.
Trade up for Jones: No.
Available at 20: Yes, take him.
Pace/Nagy: Bought themselves at least one more year if they draft him at 20, 

Trey Lance
I'm not sure Pace will spend a lot of draft capital, whether this year's or next, on Lance given he's also a risk because of his inexperience. There are too many similarities with Trubisky and I don't think he would risk trading up to get him. Nor do I think he should. He could be a future star, but its not worth the draft capital to take that chance.
Trade up for Lance: No.
Pace/Nagy: If they trade up for Lance and miss out on a stud OL or WR... goodbye Mr. Pace. I'm not even sure drafting Lance at 20 saves his job.

I like Mayock but he can’t go on thinking he’s the smartest guy in the room.  If you want to take a guy too early trade down.
Not so sure it is Mayock.  I think Gruden is making the final draft decisions and his draft record is not strong.  

Not going to clog up the Bears thread with Raider talk any more.  Let’s hope our teams get their acts together this draft and choose wisely.  

I think it depends on who's available at what spot and how much Pace is willing (allowed?) to pay. I wouldn't be surprised if Pace was instructed not to give away the farm to save his job.
This is the crux of it. I think its extra first round picks to move up and get any of these guys because of the multiple bidders. If any of them fall to 15 or so, maybe something more reasonable could be done.

That being said, i dont buy there are 5 elite QB prospects in this draft. I think its a relic of league need and covid screwing up college season and the combine. Whoever the Bears have a crack at, if anyone, would probably have been a rated second rounder any other year. If somebody falls to 20, fine. If they try to move up... well thats so Ryan Pace I cant even deal with it.

Justin Fields
Rumblings are that SF is leaning toward Jones with the third pick, but if they go with Lance or Fields, I'd I would be OK with the Bears sending their 20th overall this year, a second pick this year, and next year's first to secure get someone like Fields, who was once considered the second best QB in this draft class.
Trade up for Fields: Yes, for the right price.
Available at 20: Of course, but why wait and risk losing him? 
Pace/Nagy: Bought themselves at least one more year on their contract.

Mac Jones
If SF goes with Lance or Fields instead of Jones, I'd rather the Bears wait to see if he drops to 20. If not, take the best OL or WR and take the best available QB in the second round from Mills, Mond, or Trask. If none of these three are available, I'd wait until next year to draft a new QB and just go with Dalton this year.
Trade up for Jones: No.
Pace/Nagy: Bought themselves at least one more year if they draft him at 20, 

Trey Lance
I'm not sure Pace will spend a lot of draft capital, whether this year's or next, on Lance given he's also a risk because of his inexperience. There are too many similarities with Trubisky and I don't think he would risk trading up to get him. Nor do I think he should. He could be a future star, but its not worth the draft capital to take that chance.
Trade up for Lance: No.
Pace/Nagy: If they trade up for Lance and miss out on a stud OL or WR... goodbye Mr. Pace. I'm not even sure drafting Lance at 20 saves his job.
:goodposting: hard to argue with this post, I just can't trust pace to spend multiple picks on one guy.... Just can't do it.

So many mixed feelings. I love Fields' profile. I don't get why he fell. The 1st they're giving has a good shot to be early than 11th, which could make the trade look ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread