What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (11 Viewers)

Pace whiffed on the qb but built a very solid roster. Nagy won coach of year last year and won the division in his first season. Pace and Nagy aren't without fault, but Trubisky is the main problem. He sucks
He's still playing like a rookie. Fans and coaches can rationalize the inconsistent play from a rookie but it's tough to see it from a player in his 3rd year. 

Sources: The #Bears are hiring former #Bengals offensive coordinator Bill Lazor as their new OC. An important hire for Matt Nagy after moving on from Mark Helfrich.

flapgreen said:
Sources: The #Bears are hiring former #Bengals offensive coordinator Bill Lazor as their new OC. An important hire for Matt Nagy after moving on from Mark Helfrich.
Very OK with this. I wonder what are the chances we can actually get Dalton. He still has a year on contract and won't be released because they [Bengals] can get picks for him in a trade... shame we don't have picks

edit: I feel like we end up with a back-up like Gabbert, Bortles, Colt McCoy or Keenum. Mariota doesn't seem like a logical choice for the type of offense Nagy runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very OK with this. I wonder what are the chances we can actually get Dalton. He still has a year on contract and won't be released because they [Bengals] can get picks for him in a trade... shame we don't have picks

edit: I feel like we end up with a back-up like Gabbert, Bortles, Colt McCoy or Keenum. Mariota doesn't seem like a logical choice for the type of offense Nagy runs.
Outside of the fact the position is a joke and he's basically Nagy's clipboard holder, why are you OK with this?  4 out of the last 5 years he's been OC of the Dolphins twice and the Bengals twice with a best record of 8-8 and 3 of those 4 years his offense was ranked number 26 or worse.  Not the worst OC hiring we've had, but pretty far down there, it feels like we are already at the place where "good" OC candidates feel it's a job they wouldn't want.

Outside of the fact the position is a joke and he's basically Nagy's clipboard holder, why are you OK with this?  4 out of the last 5 years he's been OC of the Dolphins twice and the Bengals twice with a best record of 8-8 and 3 of those 4 years his offense was ranked number 26 or worse.  Not the worst OC hiring we've had, but pretty far down there, it feels like we are already at the place where "good" OC candidates feel it's a job they wouldn't want.
No play-calling, no one really knows for sure if Mitch will be the QB next year, and a coach and general manager who are both if not on the hot seat, have their seats getting warmer.  Not exactly the most desirable spot.  It is what it is for now.

The Bears are hiring John DeFilippo as quarterbacks coach, while Dave Ragone will be the passing game coordinator.

WOOHOO

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
The Tick said:
...because the passing game was SUPER awesome.
The quarterback was the problem. Now is they do all of this changing over of staff and stick with Trubisky, nothing else will matter. 

Sorry, I think they got a cease and desist from the NFL.
LOL wow.  Can you tell us what it was even more urgently now???? 
Title was "Refs Helping Packers Compilation - 2019 Edition - FTP"

It was done by a Bears fan, but it is a NFC North equal opportunity screw job.  From the Lions getting jobbed, not once, but twice, the TD in Game two by the Vikings they just "took away" for no apparent reason, to the Patterson "punt catch interference" and out of bounds "calls".

Nice montage of the RT of Green Bay absolutely mauling Khalil Mack.  About 7/8 different plays of him being held with nary a flag.

Design plays. Install them.  The Bears essentially got rid of everyone involved with designing the run game and kept most guys involved with the passing game. 
Pretty much. Lazor should help keep stuff off his plate and get him to understand running concepts finally. DeFillipo can really tutor Mitch. I like this move by Pace tremendously even if they're not among the wunderkind. Nagy needs as much help as Mitch does. DeFillipo comes from the Andy Reid tree via Pederson.

Actually, I remember there being optimism about Lazor going to Miami. Then the offense stunk the whole time he was there.

DeFilippo did a great job with Minshew last season, so let’s hope he can raise Trub’s game.  He was my choice for HC over Nagy, but having them both together?

Noice.

Lazor...  Meh.

Hov34 said:
Nice montage of the RT of Green Bay absolutely mauling Khalil Mack.  About 7/8 different plays of him being held with nary a flag.
I was yelling my head off during the game when seeing exactly this.  Total BS.

Karma is a bizatch, though.

All is right with the world.  GB exposed for the frauds we knew they were.  Worst 14-3 (now 14-4) team I’ve seen in a long time, maybe ever.

I kept chanting for Rodgers to retire every time they showed his mug after halftime.  Looks like that graybeard is starting early.

No SB I rematch.

Go Chiefs.

I was yelling my head off during the game when seeing exactly this.  Total BS.

Karma is a bizatch, though.
It's not just Mack, watching the playoffs, I think the refs have been told not to call offensive holding on a pass play.  Seems like they only call them on runs now.  They'll call a ticky-tacky penalty on a run play, and not call a guy with his arm around the DE's neck as he's trying to run past him.  Ridiculous for teams with good D lines.

• Thanks
Reactions: -X-
After watching the Niners and Chiefs effectively use lateral running plays, the thing I noticed most is that they are successful because they clear out space in the target area.  Nagy doesn’t do this, he keeps WR/TEs in to try and block in the target area.  Which is primarily why our lateral running game is trash.

Oddly enough, it looks like the Bears will have plenty of options to bring in a FA qb this year as a bridge to the next guy. Hard to imagine they won't do it. 

It's not just Mack, watching the playoffs, I think the refs have been told not to call offensive holding on a pass play.  Seems like they only call them on runs now.  They'll call a ticky-tacky penalty on a run play, and not call a guy with his arm around the DE's neck as he's trying to run past him.  Ridiculous for teams with good D lines.
Kind of wondering about this too.  D Lineman are getting mauled and no calls.  Especially easy to see the missed calls when the QBs are under pressure and get out of the pocket. 

I like less penalties overall, but they need to call the blatant ones that effect the play.

I keep reading that the Bears are in the conversation to trade up for Burrows. It just seems silly to me. The Bengals need a QB. They aren’t going to get one in the mid second. If that could happen, the Bears would do it. And the Bears would have to give up their next two firsts, plus both seconds this year, and probably players. It wouldn’t make any sense for either team.

twistd said:
I keep reading that the Bears are in the conversation to trade up for Burrows. It just seems silly to me. The Bengals need a QB. They aren’t going to get one in the mid second. If that could happen, the Bears would do it. And the Bears would have to give up their next two firsts, plus both seconds this year, and probably players. It wouldn’t make any sense for either team.
Yeah, Pace should get walked from the draft room if he was even considering that one...

Cut Cohen and bring in a big back to compliment Montgomery. Long basically said this today on the NFL Network. He's right. 

Bears sign Demetrius Harris to a one year deal. I like it. Harris is very athletic. He’s been blocked in KC and Cleveland. The Bears have a wide open depth chart. Low risk signing that could prove to be a productive player at a need position.

Cut Cohen and bring in a big back to compliment Montgomery. Long basically said this today on the NFL Network. He's right. 
Cohen is on the last year of his rookie contract... What's the point in cutting him? He could be worth a compensatory pick after this season.

I think a 3rd RB signing is needed regardless of if they cut Cohen or not.  I don't really see a need to, just sign your complementary RB and Cohen is a cheap punt returner and if the offense gets going could probably be a dynamic playmaker again in certain situations.  He looked great at times two years ago, no idea how he managed to become a non factor last year besides the whole, total team incompetence thing.

Though if I see another opening game play of Cohen up the center for 0 (or less) I'm going to scream.  What a stupid f-ing way to start a game at a near guaranteed 2nd and 10.

Hate to see Amukamara go. Like Amos before him, his value went far beyond the box scores. The secondary has gone from elite(don't forget Callahan too) to potentially below average these past 2 off seasons. Hopefully they can at least keep Ha Ha.

Hate to see Amukamara go. Like Amos before him, his value went far beyond the box scores. The secondary has gone from elite(don't forget Callahan too) to potentially below average these past 2 off seasons. Hopefully they can at least keep Ha Ha.
Prince was a great signing but his release was inevitable and he was very mediocre last year. Callahan didn't even play a game last year.  Ha Ha was better than Amos and far cheaper and netted us a 4th round compensatory pick.

Im very interested to see what they do at LB. Big decisions. I'm not sure Ha Ha will be back either.  Qb is going to be the biggest move they make. Nothing else even matters in comparison to that. 

Prince was a great signing but his release was inevitable and he was very mediocre last year. Callahan didn't even play a game last year.  Ha Ha was better than Amos and far cheaper and netted us a 4th round compensatory pick.

Im very interested to see what they do at LB. Big decisions. I'm not sure Ha Ha will be back either.  Qb is going to be the biggest move they make. Nothing else even matters in comparison to that. 
Amukamara was the best CB on the team. If he was mediocre, than everyone else sucked. Yes, Callahan didn't play a game, but he still is a very solid CB to have on the team, and they didn't replace him with anything close to that. Frankly, I'm not sure Skrine was better than Callahan last year, a late day 3 rookie could do what Skrine did/does. He actively makes the defense worse every snap he plays. He's an XFL quality player. 

Ha Ha was absolutely not better than Amos. I wouldn't even say he was close, and Ha Ha is a good safety. Amos was top-5 in the league, and has been for 3 years across 2 teams. Like I said, he does so much beyond the box score. Eddie Jackson and Kyle Fuller both missed the hell out of him, because his play allowed them to freelance more and take more chances, knowing he had their backs. Jaire Alexander and Darnell Savage(and the entire Packer D) benefited greatly from his presence.

LB is interesting. Controversial opinion, but the defense was better without Roquan Smith last year. Both Kwiatkoski and Pierre-Louis(on limited snaps) were more effective players last year. Kwiatkoski has always been underrated. I thought they should never have drafted Smith and just given Kwiatkoski that job 2 years ago when Freeman left, but I really wanted  Derwin James that year as a movable defensive chess piece. I think he'll get a starting job somewhere if he leaves. I could live with it  though, if they can at least keep 1 of the 3.

I 100% agree QB is the biggest issue. Trubisky is the same player he was when he was drafted. He was never as good as his numbers in 2018, and anyone could see it plain as day at the time. I don't know that drafting a guy in round 2 is the play(though I really like Fromm as an Alex Smith type) but I can't see the Bears being in on say Brady or Rivers. Dalton would be nice, and I think Mariota could still rebound, but those are the only real FA options, because anyone else is either not as good as Trubisky, or too good to have to compete for the job.

Wow, kinda surprised the Bears went with Trevathan over Kwiatkoski.  Figured they'd try to shore up that position for a couple more years with a younger player.  Wonder if Kwiatkoski was asking for too much, or if they just wanted to get it done before FA and he wasn't willing to do that (as he shouldn't).  Be interesting to see what he actually signs for.  Kinda hope it's not GB, we have a hard enough time with our run game and he does a damn good job of coming up and stuffing a RB.

Wow, kinda surprised the Bears went with Trevathan over Kwiatkoski.  Figured they'd try to shore up that position for a couple more years with a younger player.  Wonder if Kwiatkoski was asking for too much, or if they just wanted to get it done before FA and he wasn't willing to do that (as he shouldn't).  Be interesting to see what he actually signs for.  Kinda hope it's not GB, we have a hard enough time with our run game and he does a damn good job of coming up and stuffing a RB.
I'm good with it. Trevathan is still good.  If Kwit gets a big enough contract, the Bears could also get another 4th round compensatory pick next year like they did with Amos this year, which is one of the points I was making in letting Amos go. Could even get 2 4th round compensatory picks next year if they rescind Floyd's tag, too.  It's about time the Bears start playing that game.  

Now go trade for Carr and I'll start having some hope again! 

My off season wish list for Chicago:

-Let Leonard Floyd go and save $13.2 million

-Sounds like HHCD is returning. Which i'm not a fan of unless it's a sweetheart of a deal

-Go hard after players who were just cut to not mess with the compensatory formula: DL Linval Joseph, TE Delanie Walker, Edge Vic Beasley

-Trade a 2nd round pick for Derek Carr. He still has 3 years left on his contract(21.5, 22.1, 19.8) fairly cheap given what Tannehill and others will sign for moving forward.

-Free Agent help is needed at OL, CB or  and WR(Perriman or Agholor)

Really hoping these HHCD rumors are NOT correct.  Jackson's ability is limited at strong safety, and we just gave him a boatload of money.  We need to sign a cheap strong safety to pair with Jackson and maximize his ability/effectiveness.  Amos was the perfect pair with Jackson, we need to find a cheaper version of him.

Austin Hooper becoming the highest paid tight end to the Browns.  No thanks, glad we were outbid there.

Texans trading away Deandre Hopkins???  Holy F what is going on, he's one of the best WR's in the league, that's nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread