What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Poles is playing 5D chess! (10 Viewers)

Pretty funny considering Bears fans (not saying you) and the media universally trashed the Bears for moving up in the draft to get him. Now everyone is like, yeah, Trubisky is awesome!
After the initial shock wore off, I, for one, loved the move.

Last game. Take out Trubisky's 2 spikes in the final 2 minutes & he had a 78% complete. Those 5 incompletions- 2 drops, 2 batted & one missed hold.

Fox said Trubisky is still with the 3s. :rolleyes: Kinda looking forward to seeing how mishandles the qb situation again this year and loses his job. Has to be the worst manager of players I've ever seen. 

Fox said Trubisky is still with the 3s. :rolleyes: Kinda looking forward to seeing how mishandles the qb situation again this year and loses his job. Has to be the worst manager of players I've ever seen. 
It's their second preseason game. It's too early to overreact. I see no issues with putting out the same roster. 

Did you know they're not using Howard tomorrow night. There must be some big story behind that too. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawkeye21 said:
It's their second preseason game. It's too early to overreact. I see no issues with putting out the same roster. 

Did you know they're not using Howard tomorrow night. There must be some big story behind that too. ?
Yes, Howard has a scratched cornea.

Hawkeye21 said:

:rolleyes: The "overreact" answer has gotten stale.  I don't just accept everything the GM and coach says as Gospel. There's no reason for Trubisky to be running with the 3s now.  If Sanchez comes in for 2 series, that's fine.  If he pushes Mitch to playing later in the 2nd half, it's a mistake.  There's no reason for Sanchez to need snaps.  He's been in the league many years and doesn't need a lot of reps to be the backup.  

You have to learn to think for yourself more, bro.  It's more enjoyable when you don't believe every move the coach or GM makes is always right.  All you have to do is look at how Fox handled the situation last year at qb to see he has no clue.  Let's hope he learned from.  If he keeps Mitch at the bottom going forward, he obviously hasn't. 

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
:rolleyes: The "overreact" answer has gotten stale.  I don't just accept everything the GM and coach says as Gospel. There's no reason for Trubisky to be running with the 3s now.  If Sanchez comes in for 2 series, that's fine.  If he pushes Mitch to playing later in the 2nd half, it's a mistake.  There's no reason for Sanchez to need snaps.  He's been in the league many years and doesn't need a lot of reps to be the backup.  

You have to learn to think for yourself more, bro.  It's more enjoyable when you don't believe every move the coach or GM makes is always right.  All you have to do is look at how Fox handled the situation last year at qb to see he has no clue.  Let's hope he learned from.  If he keeps Mitch at the bottom going forward, he obviously hasn't. 
I have no issues thinking for myself, I just don't get worked up going into the second preseason game.  I'm not a huge fan of Fox but I'm usually going to side with the actual experienced people over some guys in a fantasy football forum.  Even before the draft I knew they were going to be taking a QB at some point and I didn't want the Bears to start him.  I still stand by not wanting to start the rookie QB.  I'd rather he has some time.  This doesn't mean they need to sit him the whole year but at least to start the season.

Sanchez is the "break glass in case of emergency" guy. 

I need to see more of Glennon and Trubisky. Barring something ridiculous happening like Glennon looking totally incompetent combined with Trubisky looking like Brady, I'd be starting Glennon week 1. I'm a believer in rookies watching a little bit before going in. Even more so in this case because of how little game experience the kid has. 

Sanchez is the "break glass in case of emergency" guy. 
Sanchez is the "we aren't even going to pretend that we're trying to win" guy for when we get late in the season when Glennon sucks and Trubisky is either hurt or (by some miracle on par with the resurrection of Christ) still on the bench because the front office stuck to their guns on him backing up a year

I need to see more of Glennon and Trubisky. Barring something ridiculous happening like Glennon looking totally incompetent combined with Trubisky looking like Brady, I'd be starting Glennon week 1. I'm a believer in rookies watching a little bit before going in. Even more so in this case because of how little game experience the kid has. 
If he outplays Glennon in the preseason, he should have the job.  Glennon has thrown 11 passes since 2014.  He's a nobody.   But I think Glennon should get a lot of work tonight and next week to prove his worth. Sanchez shouldn't even be in the equation. No idea why he's staying 2ns string. 

Sanchez is the "we aren't even going to pretend that we're trying to win" guy for when we get late in the season when Glennon sucks and Trubisky is either hurt or (by some miracle on par with the resurrection of Christ) still on the bench because the front office stuck to their guns on him backing up a year
Sticking to their guns when he outplays the rest of the QBs would be a ridiculous move.  If he's good enough, playing on the game will be the best learning he can do. 

For who? How do you know what i find enjoyable?

Sorry. Was an assumption. Believing every decision a coach and GM makes from the beginning without any discussion sounds boring to me. I guess that's not everyone. 

Glennon looking pathetic. Throws pick on goal line that almost got returned for a td. Get him out of there! This is pointless. 

Glennon looking pathetic. Throws pick on goal line that almost got returned for a td. Get him out of there! This is pointless. 

Was just about to ask how he looked. Ugh. 
In all fairness, Glennon's TD throw was basically the same play. 

On the first one, Wright appeared to be off balance when the throw came. But, if you're paying attention, Wright gets off the ground and runs down Honey Badger to strip the ball and end the return. 

I know Trubisky didn't do a ton but  I was once again impressed by him. I don't think I've seen too many QBs who are as accurate as him throwing while booting out. Showed he can do it going both ways too. 

Move actually been impressed with how Loaggains has been calling the offense too. Not bad. 

Also, how exciting is Cohen in the backfield?

In all fairness, Glennon's TD throw was basically the same play. 

On the first one, Wright appeared to be off balance when the throw came. But, if you're paying attention, Wright gets off the ground and runs down Honey Badger to strip the ball and end the return. 
Glennon was not good again. No way around it. Should've probably had 3 interceptions.  It's pretty obvious Fox is starting Glennon in the first game, a guy who's thrown 11 passes in the regular season over the past 3 years, no matter what happens in the preseason.  Running Trubisky with the 3s and getting killed with the terrible OL and receivers who can't get open is bone headed. Typical Fox

I know Trubisky didn't do a ton but  I was once again impressed by him. I don't think I've seen too many QBs who are as accurate as him throwing while booting out. Showed he can do it going both ways too. 

Move actually been impressed with how Loaggains has been calling the offense too. Not bad. 

Also, how exciting is Cohen in the backfield?
Agreed

Don't look now but Loggains appears to have improved as a coordinator over the past year.   If Fox gets out of the way and let's Trubisky start, Loggains might do pretty well. 

Vic is Vic. Defense looks way better.  Special teams may be the most improved group on the team.  Floyd looks like a beast. Bullard has made a huge jump. 

I hope they don't continue to play Grasu at center and Whitehair at guard, if Long doesn't come back. Another mistake.  Grasu got blown up multiple times last night. He's terrible. 

No word on McPhee at all. Not good. 

Glennon was not good again. No way around it. Should've probably had 3 interceptions.  It's pretty obvious Fox is starting Glennon in the first game, a guy who's thrown 11 passes in the regular season over the past 3 years, no matter what happens in the preseason.  Running Trubisky with the 3s and getting killed with the terrible OL and receivers who can't get open is bone headed. Typical Fox
Is it possible that Trubisky is looking good because he's playing against 3rd string defenses? Yes, he get's to play with a better supporting cast with the #1 offense. But, he will also face much better defensive players as well. 

The people that would know how he performs against top defensive players, are those that coach him every day in practice. (and I wouldn't call the Bears defense top players right now)

Is it possible that Trubisky is looking good because he's playing against 3rd string defenses? Yes, he get's to play with a better supporting cast with the #1 offense. But, he will also face much better defensive players as well. 

The people that would know how he performs against top defensive players, are those that coach him every day in practice. (and I wouldn't call the Bears defense top players right now)
Only one way to find out. As I've stated previously, I don't just accept every decision the coaches make because they "coach them every day in practice."  Fox made a ton of blunders last year. Pace has made some mistakes in free agency that a lot of us said were mistakes from the get go. You've probably called into questions some if their moves at some point as well.  I'm not sure what's happening in practice but Glennon looks slow and inaccurate in the game. Trubisky looks like the complete opposite.  I get what they're doing. They paid Glennon big money and are giving him every chance to succeed. That's fine. But if they force him out there because they paid him a lot of money and he's not the better qb going deeper into the season, it's an incredible blunder. 

The Bears have some studs in defense now.  I'd have to disagree there.  They're nowhere near the Broncos, but they're getting closer.  The 1st team defense has looked great so far. 

You act like our window for a championship is closing this year? I still think Glennon gives us the best chance to win games and bringing Trubisky along slowly won't hurt anything. 

But, I do trust people that get paid for evaluating talent and coaching players instead of some guy on a message board. I still wonder why you aren't on the coaching staff. We need you making the decisions for the team. It has to pay more than you're making now.  

Flap, you are basing your tribisky call on what amounts to about 20 minutes of actual playing time.  Coaches are watching and evaluating for hours each week.  You have to weigh that in.

You act like our window for a championship is closing this year? I still think Glennon gives us the best chance to win games and bringing Trubisky along slowly won't hurt anything. 

But, I do trust people that get paid for evaluating talent and coaching players instead of some guy on a message board. I still wonder why you aren't on the coaching staff. We need you making the decisions for the team. It has to pay more than you're making now.  
Go right ahead. Entitled to your own opinion 

Flap, you are basing your tribisky call on what amounts to about 20 minutes of actual playing time.  Coaches are watching and evaluating for hours each week.  You have to weigh that in.
I'm evaluating from the types of plays and throws made in the game.  Even still, there's been no chatter that Glennon has dominated camp. It's all been on how good Trubisky has looked.  Some guys are gamers. They raise their level on games day.  There's no argument Trubisky has looked better during both games. 

I'm open to discussion on how Glennon gives us a better chance to win than Trubisky right now.  Glennon is not as mobile or accurate as Trubisky and hasn't shown he can read the defense as well so far.   He's been terrible in 2 preseason games. He should easily have 4 interceptions through 3 quarters. Glennon has been in the league for four years and has thrown 11 passes in the regular season since 2014.    What part of that says Glennon gives us a better chance to win? 

The only thing I see being different going up against better defenders is maybe some more pressure on him and tighter coverage possibly.  A better defense isn't going to affect how well he rolls out an throws a ball accurately that much.  He would also have his own first team players to match up against that first team defense to help.

I look forward to seeing what he can do against a good defense but right now I'm just happy he looks as good as he does.  It would really suck if he looked bad against the back ups.

Just trying a healthy exchange of opinions.  Flap, I agree with your statement on who has played better.  I also think it's possible that coaches have seen enough in practice to know Trubisky has more to work on to be the starter - how much of the playbook does he know, what are his weaknesses that may get exposed with more playing time, etc..  

Go ahead and throw Glennon to the wolves.  

Looking at their schedule, the Atlanta game could get away from them early and I don't know it would be good to go pass happy with MT already.  Looking at their schedule, I think the best debut for him is Game 5 with the Vikings.  I think 4 good weeks from the bench will do him good.  An he will likely play prior to week 5 even if he doesn't start.

The only thing I see being different going up against better defenders is maybe some more pressure on him and tighter coverage possibly.  A better defense isn't going to affect how well he rolls out an throws a ball accurately that much.  He would also have his own first team players to match up against that first team defense to help.

I look forward to seeing what he can do against a good defense but right now I'm just happy he looks as good as he does.  It would really suck if he looked bad against the back ups.
Same

I'm open to discussion on how Glennon gives us a better chance to win than Trubisky right now.  Glennon is not as mobile or accurate as Trubisky and hasn't shown he can read the defense as well so far.   He's been terrible in 2 preseason games. He should easily have 4 interceptions through 3 quarters. Glennon has been in the league for four years and has thrown 11 passes in the regular season since 2014.    What part of that says Glennon gives us a better chance to win? 
why are you worried about winning right now? what does 6 wins this season get you instead of 3 and better draft picks?

Pace said from day one they were going to do this slow and get it right. throwing Trubisky to the wolves with a terrible team could ruin him. Why risk that just to make the meat heads happy for a couple extra mondays this season?

let's also remember he's playing vanilla defenses. He will need time to learn the NFL game and get the clock in his head running correctly. Throwing him out too soon could Cutlerize him permanently, consider that.

Just trying a healthy exchange of opinions.  Flap, I agree with your statement on who has played better.  I also think it's possible that coaches have seen enough in practice to know Trubisky has more to work on to be the starter - how much of the playbook does he know, what are his weaknesses that may get exposed with more playing time, etc..  

Go ahead and throw Glennon to the wolves.  

Looking at their schedule, the Atlanta game could get away from them early and I don't know it would be good to go pass happy with MT already.  Looking at their schedule, I think the best debut for him is Game 5 with the Vikings.  I think 4 good weeks from the bench will do him good.  An he will likely play prior to week 5 even if he doesn't start.
I'm already accepted Glennon will be starting the first few games, which is fine. I know that's how it will play out. But I also think they should keep him on a short leash if he flops. No reason to keep Mitch on the bench if Glennon looks atrocious. 

why are you worried about winning right now? what does 6 wins this season get you instead of 3 and better draft picks?

Pace said from day one they were going to do this slow and get it right. throwing Trubisky to the wolves with a terrible team could ruin him. Why risk that just to make the meat heads happy for a couple extra mondays this season?
I'm not worried about a couple more wins. The Bears aren't making the playoffs. Whatever Pace said, things change.  You put your best players on the field every game. I don't consider it throwing him to the wolves if he continues to look better than Glennon.  If Mitch can handle it out there, that's the best way to learn.  If he looks terrible, which he hasn't so far, take him out. There's a reason Glennon has been on the bench most of his career. He's not very good.   Just my opinion 

Users who are viewing this thread